The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 01-13-2024, 03:22 PM   #41
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Let's be honest, it's hardly anything new that political or social messages and/or commentary show up in cartoons, etc. and, for example, the already old Bugs Bunny episodes we watched as kids had plenty of it. Heck, he even dressed as a woman occasionally and no one batted an eye. And not even as a "emasculating" joke, but as an opposite gender stereotype trying to trick another character via seduction. Would people crap their pants if that was in a modern cartoon?
Because, it was played for laughs and no-one in their right mind would have said: "Bug Bunny is non-binary character and the fact that he occasionally dresses as a woman, means that he is non-binary character and possibly trans", which somehow means that in real life men can be women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Less controversial, the TMNT of course had the occasional environmental and anti-drug messages back in the day, too, so it's hardly new to them to do anything we now tend to lump together as being "political." We probably can't hope too much to see new series, comics, etc really remain free of it, but I'd hope that maybe it could just be passing things, that are easy to agree with or roll eyes at and move past it, rather than need to spotlight it. If people choose to be oversensitive about a passing thing in it that they don't agree with 100% of "political" things with a particular writer... well that's an optional hill to die on, I guess.
Its hard to not to notice or not to react, when political message dominates the narrative as in is the case with IDW series or with some changes in Rise and Mutant Mayhem.

Not to mention it is not a passing fad, but happens systematically for the last decade throughout the media and already killed or mutilated quite a lot of old franchises.

If you want people to pretend to be oblivious or blind, well, it speaks more about your position in life, rather than others.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 03:48 PM   #42
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Coola may have left the forums for good because of this lol
Coola left? Really? I know I lurk here every once in a while when I'm not busy with stuff, but dang! He didn't even mention that to me and we talk every now and then. Guess he forgot to mention it. It would be weird hopping onto the forum and not seeing his smart allecky posts.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:25 PM   #43
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

This site can sometimes have more negativity than positivity sometimes,

aswell as stupid drama, I don't get why things get so heated on here

I understand the disagreements, but there has been a lot of overreactions on here, you can criticize people without bringing personal attacks into it

I'm fine with people disagreeing with others on here, the issue is when some users just send personal attacks for no reason or when there ends up being more negative off topic posts than TMNT posts (tbf, the series hasn't done much recently beyond the comics,collabs and mutant mayhem)

and tbf while forums are more handy for discussion than Reddit, they are still seen as a relic of the internet, so spaces like these aren't as active as they would've been in the early 2000s

to be honest I don't really bring up my political opinions on here much, I know that a lot of it would be seen as "SJW stuff"and I try to avoid arguments on here.

However, there are much worse places on the internet, and I do still occasionally enjoy posting here or joining in discussion, university and other things just got me busy for a few years so I didn't post as often.
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:45 PM   #44
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonTurtledude View Post
This site can sometimes have more negativity than positivity sometimes,

aswell as stupid drama, I don't get why things get so heated on here

I understand the disagreements, but there has been a lot of overreactions on here, you can criticize people without bringing personal attacks into it

I'm fine with people disagreeing with others on here, the issue is when some users just send personal attacks for no reason or when there ends up being more negative off topic posts than TMNT posts (tbf, the series hasn't done much recently beyond the comics,collabs and mutant mayhem)

and tbf while forums are more handy for discussion than Reddit, they are still seen as a relic of the internet, so spaces like these aren't as active as they would've been in the early 2000s

to be honest I don't really bring up my political opinions on here much, I know that a lot of it would be seen as "SJW stuff"and I try to avoid arguments on here.

However, there are much worse places on the internet, and I do still occasionally enjoy posting here or joining in discussion, university and other things just got me busy for a few years so I didn't post as often.
You have to understand how awful and overran this place was by the extreme bottom-feeder of BLM-style, gaslighting, "just call them a 'racist" kind of leftist that was here a couple of years before your registration date as a poster.

The place was littered with the kind of liberal vitriol that was not only uninviting, but a complete echo-chamber of life-angry nonsense that several of us began pushing back on.

It's not that I disagree with anything you've said - I don't. But I'm just pointing out this simple math:

1 The previous leftist mindset that was pervasive here was not only negative and spewing anger at normalcy, but it wasn't rooted in reality. It was just "life anger" covered in whatever language of the moment could be used (i.e., the "racists" here).

2 The "negativity" you might see now is at least rooted in reality. The negativity isn't "weaponized" (i.e. calling people something they aren't as a power play) or born of fantasy (the "istaphobes are EVERYWHERE! DAMN THEM!"). It's born of realty - woke culture was the evolution of the times and agree with it or not it's a manifest thing that actually happened.

And so my point is only that the negativity that a lot of people perceive here is at least more guided than it used to be, and if anything it's born of reality and not a manufactured lashing out at the phantom evils of "normalcy".

Again, to be clear - I'm not taking up position against you by saying this. Bur rather, just illustrating the reality of the situation.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:01 PM   #45
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
You have to understand how awful and overran this place was by the extreme bottom-feeder of BLM-style, gaslighting, "just call them a 'racist" kind of leftist that was here a couple of years before your registration date as a poster.

The place was littered with the kind of liberal vitriol that was not only uninviting, but a complete echo-chamber of life-angry nonsense that several of us began pushing back on.

It's not that I disagree with anything you've said - I don't. But I'm just pointing out this simple math:

1 The previous leftist mindset that was pervasive here was not only negative and spewing anger at normalcy, but it wasn't rooted in reality. It was just "life anger" covered in whatever language of the moment could be used (i.e., the "racists" here).

2 The "negativity" you might see now is at least rooted in reality. The negativity isn't "weaponized" (i.e. calling people something they aren't as a power play) or born of fantasy (the "istaphobes are EVERYWHERE! DAMN THEM!"). It's born of realty - woke culture was the evolution of the times and agree with it or not it's a manifest thing that actually happened.

And so my point is only that the negativity that a lot of people perceive here is at least more guided than it used to be, and if anything it's born of reality and not a manufactured lashing out at the phantom evils of "normalcy".

Again, to be clear - I'm not taking up position against you by saying this. Bur rather, just illustrating the reality of the situation.

I get it, the drome was probably more chaotic before I arrived and while I'm a "leftist" I recognize that a lot of modern leftist discussion can lack nuance, I've noticed even some of my other leftist friends can see it, especially on twitter.

then I suppose, there should just be more "guided" balance of the positivity and negativity, where discussions can be had without resorting to personal insults and drama (I was mentioning the donatello thing when talking about that, although I just learned about that today)
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote