The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 09-05-2017, 10:03 PM   #1
Shark_Blade
Emperor

New IDW Sonic the Hedgehog comic

New IDW Sonic the Hedgehog comic info to be detailed out at NY Comic Con

https://t.co/NJZuGHt7Rb?amp=1

BULLETIN: IDW Publishing to reveal 1st details on new Sonic comics Sunday 10/8 at NY Comic Con - TSSZ will have full coverage.

We still do not know what characters will stay, what characters will go, or really anything. In fact, we’re just as uncertain of the IDW Sonic era as we were a few months ago.

As it's a new beginning, I believe a new thread is a must.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I'm still bummed that we lost all those years worth of continuity and all those great characters.
But hopefully IDW'll be able to handle the brand better than Archie did towards the end, and also publish some good stories that'll please us fans.
Here's hoping!
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Can't say I'll be too interested if it doesn't have the "Freedom Fighters" or at least Princess Sally, but I hope the comic is good regardless.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:23 AM   #4
Shark_Blade
Emperor

New details regarding IDW Sonic is expected to be revealed in a town hall at NYCC2017.

Date: October 8 at 12:45 pm ET.

Quote: "This is the first official chance for fans to get in front of the editors to get to know them, hear some hints about what’s to come,"

https://twitter.com/sonicnewsnow/sta...85352847953922
Old 10-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Promo image for the comic.:

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:05 AM   #6
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Yep. It seems Tyson Hysse (the illustrator/animator of Sonic Mania) is on board with IDW Sonic!

Old 10-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
sdp
-

That makes it sound like the SatAM cast might make an appearance. You know if they make it its own thing and not just a cheap Sega marketing the newest game thing and actually a fun fleshed out universe I'd be all over it.

I tried to get into Archie but all the baggage made me not want to check it out for too long but I also don't want what Archie became which was this random hybrid of adapting the Sega stories and then going back to their own stuff.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
That makes it sound like the SatAM cast might make an appearance. You know if they make it its own thing and not just a cheap Sega marketing the newest game thing and actually a fun fleshed out universe I'd be all over it.

I tried to get into Archie but all the baggage made me not want to check it out for too long but I also don't want what Archie became which was this random hybrid of adapting the Sega stories and then going back to their own stuff.
Same! Plus I'm well way over SatAM. Has not aged well for me.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:52 AM   #9
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Archie stopped doing that past Adventure 2, mostly because they realized the Archie continuity was just not at all compatible with the Sega stuff from Adventure on. Which was another problem with Archie; their entire lore was so radically different it was hard to reconcile with the brand sometimes. Anyway, past that point they just did, like, ten page "lead-ins" to the games which... geez, at that point, why even bother, you know? More people were playing the games than reading the comics. If you're not going to adapt, there's no sense in doing anything for it. Those lead-ins aren't promoting the game or getting any more sales than otherwise. If you're a hardcore enough brand fan to have been reading the Archie comic past, say, 2005, you were already buying those games anyway.

Such a weird way of doing things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Same! Plus I'm well way over SatAM. Has not aged well for me.
I had the same experience. It has aged poorly. Same for the Archie offshoot, in my opinion. I remember liking it a lot as a kid, but looking back, from some of the stories to the art, it was kind of yuck. It's part of why I was also never able to get back into the comic years down the line. It had this whole weird world, wildly different from every other version, often giving focus to a bunch of characters I either didn't care about or didn't care about anymore. I know Archie and Ian Flynn tried to streamline it with a quasi-reboot about four years ago, but there was no untangling that mess without dropping what made that version different to start with.

Quote:
That makes it sound like the SatAM cast might make an appearance.
I'd almost be willing to put money down on some of the Archie cast re-appearing at some point. I don't picture them being main cast ever again, but I figure them being a team with a new niche, like the Chaotix or something, who pop in from time to time and end up friends of Sonics. They've been a large part of a unique brand of Sonic for so long I can't imagine them being left out entirely.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Satam ages fine. Still the best Sonic cartoon, and the Archie books were excellent once Flynn took over, though I do have some fondness for Penders if only because he had the kahoonas to marry Sonic off to Sally in Moebius 25 Years Later (was that Penders?)

Flynn has been hired to write the IDW books

https://www.newsarama.com/36834-clas...-relaunch.html
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Satam ages fine.
Hey, more power to you. If you still think it's good, right on. I... kind of don't. It's one of those shows where I had a lot of fond memories and wish I hadn't tried to go back to it. There are some eighties cartoons I loved that were like that for me too. Maybe my nostalgia goggles are broken or something.

Quote:
Still the best Sonic cartoon
To be fair, its only competition in its category - I hesitate to declare an outright best, because half the Sonic cartoons are serious affairs and half are comedies, making it unfair to really compare them - is Sonic X, a show that was alright, but hampered by a kid that stole so much screentime you'd think it were a Transformers cartoon. So it's not like it really has a lot of challengers.

I think I've enjoyed Sonic Boom more than any of them, really, but again, unfair to compare.

Quote:
and the Archie books were excellent once Flynn took over
I've heard as much, but I was so over SatAM and the Archie world by that point I couldn't get myself back into it. Especially when hearing how much of the run sounded like clean-up of all the mess. I'll likely give his stint on the newest Sonic comic a chance, though.

Quote:
though I do have some fondness for Penders if only because he had the kahoonas to marry Sonic off to Sally in Moebius 25 Years Later (was that Penders?)
Yeah, it was. Late era Penders. I read some of it. It... wasn't great. By that point the mans writing had gone off a cliff to match the art.

Quote:
Flynn has been hired to write the IDW books

https://www.newsarama.com/36834-clas...-relaunch.html
I was hoping for a little new blood, but this is also good, because it will be a decent chance to read Flynns take on the character. Not to mention it's good for Ian Flynn in general. After the Archie debacle it's nice he's going to get to stick with Sonic for a while after all.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #12
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Hey, more power to you. If you still think it's good, right on. I... kind of don't. It's one of those shows where I had a lot of fond memories and wish I hadn't tried to go back to it. There are some eighties cartoons I loved that were like that for me too. Maybe my nostalgia goggles are broken or something.
I used to be like that with some shows, actually, I'm like that with shows people think age like fine wine. Nowadays I enjoy many of them in an ironic as well as an unironic fashion, but SatAm is one of those shows I genuinely still greatly enjoy.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:56 PM   #13
Shark_Blade
Emperor

BREAKING: Ian Flynn will write the Sonic IDW comics.
https://twitter.com/sonicnewsnow/sta...76089423515648

The previous Archie Sonic writer returns! I'm so happy!!
Old 10-09-2017, 12:00 AM   #14
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post

That’s AWESOME!!
Way to go IDW!
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:40 AM   #15
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post

Old news. Posted that above you.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #16
sdp
-

As a kid I really liked SATAM and hated AOSTH, the former sadly was the one that was always on and I would rarely catch SATAM. Then around the Gamecube era I started watching AOSTH on Toon Disney and started to like it but I really wanted to watch SATAM after all the praise it got, when the DVDs finally came out and I got to check the show out I was disappointed by how average it was.

It's not that it's a bad show, it just doesn't compare to other 90s greats like Gargoyles or BTAS while it's praised as if it were. On the other hand I was able to appreciate AOSTH more. Now Sonic Underground I like that it exists but boy was it terrible, here is my review of all three DIC Sonic Cartoons I did a long while ago and I think in that link you can also find how I fit all three DIC cartoons in the same continuity and Sonic X/OVA review.

Having the Freedom Fighters being a faction Sonic interacts from time to time would be awesome, have the original SATAM cast as a team, hell add Sonia/Manic from Underground to the team, it can have the original or re-designs and have them come from the city of "Mobius", that would be the best way to handle it, you can even add some dialog for Sally when meeting Sonic "Oh, it's nothing, I just felt as if we had met before" or whatever to appease fans that the other happened in another universe.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #17
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
On the other hand I was able to appreciate AOSTH more.
I've taken some s*** in the past for liking that show; thankfully most of it just from friends who weren't too dickish about it. People give it a lot of crap, but it's a decent enough time. Sonic filtered through Looney Tunes. I think it's because it's comedic, which tends to get a knee jerk reaction of "ew" from some people when there's an alternative. Some people just genuinely like the drama of the other show better, some are the eye rolling "that show is better because OMG it's so dark" sort I just write off immediately, some could just never get into the silliness of AoStH. There are all sorts, I guess. I wish some people gave it more of a fair chance. I mean, both shows are over, so it's not like it matters anymore which is "better".

Quote:
I really wanted to watch SATAM after all the praise it got, when the DVDs finally came out and I got to check the show out I was disappointed by how average it was.
That was sort of how it was for me when I went back to it. I wonder if the novelty of Sonic with a story bolstered it at the time. The 2D games were the usual platformer "there's your enemy at the end of the stage, defeat him" affairs, so SatAM and Archie were the only places to really see any semblance of story up until Adventure.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #18
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I will say Adventures of Sonic probably has the best villain ensemble out of the lot...Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts, and Robotnik were just hilarious.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I will say Adventures of Sonic probably has the best villain ensemble out of the lot...Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts, and Robotnik were just hilarious.
Yeah. I'm a little surprised that at least Scratch and Grounder didn't become canon immigrants. They're easily recognizable characters with good designs and personality. I like Cubot and Orbot a lot, but there's no reason Scratch and Grounder couldn't be around too.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #20
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Woah, apparently, Sonic comics are back already!
https://www.facebook.com/Sonic/posts/10155757089437418

Quite and interesting choice to promote a new video game!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote