The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
This was probably done also so that Batman can't just show up in the Ongoing/Main Universe randomly anytime the turtles are in way over their heads. Any guy who would take on Superman would be quite an asset against pretty much any villain Tom and his crew can dream up.
But aren't these crossovers treating the Turtle universe and the DC universe as two different things? And their actual crossovers as multiversal travel?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #22
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I'm saying it wouldn't be logical for the turtles to be able to show up in Batman's reality and not vice versa. We can't have Batman just showing up in the Ongoing, now can we?
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Since this is now confirmed a new universe, it's interesting that once again Karai is Shredder's daughter instead of being unrelated to him. This makes the fourth universe (after 4kids, Nick, and IDW), that Karai was Shredder's daughter, adopted daughter, or great great+ granddaughter.

At this rate Karai being related to Shredder is being cemented in canon in 4 different continuities. I guess ol' Mirage Karai is now the anomaly despite being the source material.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #24
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Even if it is a new continuity, I am wondering if Donatello's shell crushing defeat by Bebop and Rocksteady will be referenced in this mini-series, especially considering how prominent a role Donatello seems to be playing in the cover previews and issue solicits.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #25
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Even if it is a new continuity, I am wondering if Donatello's shell crushing defeat by Bebop and Rocksteady will be referenced in this mini-series, especially considering how prominent a role Donatello seems to be playing in the cover previews and issue solicits.
Pretty sure it will.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #26
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It all depends, though. Devil's advocate... let's say it turns out that Batman/TMNT II is very bad. Let's say it makes the TMNT look very not good. Because IDW's label is on it, people will associate it with the IDW TMNT, even though it is not. And if it turns out to be great? People will open up the IDW TMNT comics and feel duped that the Turtles in Batman/TMNT were different/some random other incarnation. Seems sort of lose/lose to me on the comics side, even though just having these caliber of crossovers elevates the "stock" of the TMNT franchise.
Well Honestly I don't think that will matter even if TMNT is portrayed poorly for the simple fact that there has been 2 Nick based comic books series with IDW's name on it haha

If it turns out to be great so be it, its a great story that you can reread anytime you want.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

It would be pretty funny if this continually spinoffs to it's own universe regularly, assuming we get more sequels to this.

It is loosely based on IDW TMNT, I remember Splinter saying they were reincarnated from ancient Japan unless I'm remembering wrong in the first crossover.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #28
neatoman
Emperor

So I've read this first issue and I gotta say, this does seem more interesting than the first one. If you take away the "OMG, BATMAN MEETS THE TURTLES! MY CHILDHOOD FAN FICTION IS COMING TRUE!!!" angle from the first one, all you got was a few fight scenes and dicussing strategy. It was pretty cool to see the Batman villains as monsters at the end but it was a bit underwhelming for me. This seems more like it has an actual story to tell. I also like that it's more clear about not exactly being the IDW turtles meeting Batman, gives me the feeling like there might be more of a point at the end if they're not beholden to continuity.

There is just one nitpick, even if they don't have to care about continuity...
Spoiler:
... Bebop and Rocksteady leading a faction of the Foot? And hitting the Purple Dragons "hard"? Bull, crap. In what universe do the characters known for being idiots have the brain power for leadership? And hitting the Purple Dragons "hard"? Give me a break, if Hun (who does exist, Casey mentioned the abuse) is in charge he'd recruit Bebop and Rocksteady for muscle, not getting his ass kicked. Hell, even if he's not there, anyone can at least outsmart Bebop and Rocksteady well enough to not get hit "hard".
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Spoiler:
Bebop and Rocksteady leading a faction of the Foot?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #30
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, it's a pretty cringeworthy concept...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

The continuity is a bit confusing. Casey talks about his father (who in IDW is Hun), and how he stitched him up in bar fights. April also says, "So that's how your father got all those frankenstein scars." But Hun is never name-dropped, so I'm not sure if that's him.

Meanwhile Don goes to Harold's lab and they see the same portal they used in the Ghostbusters crossover. Harold only exists in IDW continuity, as does this particular portal. So uh...?

Lastly we know it's not IDW TMNT because Karai calls herself Shredder's daughter (and not great great granddaughter), and she's at war with the Elite Guard of the Foot Clan. Both Splinter and Shredder are still alive, so even if you say it takes place before issue 50, it still doesn't fit.

Lastly Hamato Yoshi was mentioned and Bebop/Rocksteady exist. So it's almost like this is some weird off-shoot of IDW TMNT with similar events that played out in both.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #32
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

It is the IDW Turtles, but one's from a parallel dimension, basically.

Everything else about them is the same as the IDW Turtles we already know unless specified otherwise. So in this universe Karai is Shredder's daughter, not great-granddaughter or whatever. Don't overthink it, they definitely aren't.

I think that was the main thing that bothered me about this first issue. I was pretty excited for it, but this crossover really felt like nobody at DC did their homework and read up on what's been going on with the Turtles lately. Even knowing that this isn't the prime IDW continuity, it felt a bit jarring. They really overplayed the whole "OMG I'm Donnie I can'ts fights goods I does machines" thing, way too hard.

That aside, I have higher hopes for the rest of this series. The first issue is usually just building up steam
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #33
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Best part of the issue.....
Spoiler:
Donatello- .....I think he could even hold his own against you, father. Splinter- Well,no.....

best part of this issue. hands down

Bane was portrayed really well too.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #34
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Eh.

Can't say I cared for it much. When the main driving force of a story is "Donatello sucks at fighting and wishes he was better at it", I tend to check out.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #35
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Eh.

Can't say I cared for it much. When the main driving force of a story is "Donatello sucks at fighting and wishes he was better at it", I tend to check out.
What's most frustrating to me is that they had a perfect opportunity in the actual IDW continuity to have a story with a similar (and better written) plot—Donatello's brutal beatdown and near-death at the hands of Bebop and Rocksteady. I could see him having some kind of lasting trauma from that event and it's not a stretch to think it could manifest in some form of fear of inadequacy, leading him to make foolish choices.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #36
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
What's most frustrating to me is that they had a perfect opportunity in the actual IDW continuity to have a story with a similar (and better written) plot—Donatello's brutal beatdown and near-death at the hands of Bebop and Rocksteady. I could see him having some kind of lasting trauma from that event and it's not a stretch to think it could manifest in some form of fear of inadequacy, leading him to make foolish choices.
Oooooh, well thought. +5 points for Gryffindor!
Old 12-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #37
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Oooooh, well thought. +5 points for Gryffindor!
Ravenclaw actually but thanks all the same!

I hope this series at least gives us some good fight scenes if the writing isn't gonna be great
Old 12-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #38
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

I still include the original Batman crossover on re-reads as, um, semi-canon, as it slots in nicely just before the first Ghostbusters crossover without too much trouble, and it was a fun read. But hoo boy, this one is obviously not the main IDW universe right off the bat. More like a universe next door to IDW, like the one-shot where all the Turtles joined the Foot, or the X-Files crossover.

Far as the actual issue goes... I was lukewarm on it. Maybe it will pick up, but I'm not crazy about the whole "Don sucks as a fighter because he's a nerd" plot point. Maybe that's just because Don has become my favorite of the bros in the IDW run. But I'm not so sure the writers are really nailing the TMNT characters just right so far. I haven't read Batman in like 20 years, so no idea if that problem goes both ways.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #39
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Here's my full summary and review of Batman/TMNT II #1 at TMNT Entity.

Late to the party, but I've got a lot of issues to catch up on. IDW was really churning these Turtle books out November/December!

I like the sandbox approach to continuity that these Batman/TMNT minis are taking, allowing Tynion to pluck the ideas he likes from wherever and roll with it. Adhering to a hardline continuity would make these crossovers a little less fun, especially if they stifle the writer's imagination. And for something as crazy as Batman and TMNT, I want the writer to be able to do whatever they feel like.

Donnie being portrayed as too useless to live was maybe a little over the top in this issue; they REALLY stress how much he sucks to set up his story arc for the miniseries. I don't think they needed to trash the character quite as much as they did, but I guess they had a point to make. And if it leads to a fun storyline, then whatever.

The Williams/Colwell art and colors are as spectacular as ever, btw.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote