The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 38,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Ok, you just tell that to all the turtlecesters I'm friends with.
Those people are shunned to the darkest corners of deviantart and tumblr. We don't want to acknowledge them.

I don't mind "furry" ships, I did like Raph's relationship with Ninjara in Archie, but I'm too keen on animalxanimal pairings...even if they are mutants.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #22
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
I mean there times when character does things that makes no sense or having idiot ball moments like when Shredder left a mutated Baxter in his labs and now thanks to him, he has a monster lose in his HQ. He could have lock him up or at least tried to.
Can't say it's crossed my mind much, at most a passing thought that didn't stick around long. Good show, I just roll with it mostly.

What else is going on h-- Uh. Ok... carry on. *flees thread*

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-08-2014 at 07:36 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #23
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Those people are shunned to the darkest corners of deviantart and tumblr. We don't want to acknowledge them.

I don't mind "furry" ships, I did like Raph's relationship with Ninjara in Archie, but I'm too keen on animalxanimal pairings...even if they are mutants.
I acknowledge them since they're a pretty large part of the fanbase. I'm willing to bet there are several closet turtlecesters that regularly post on this forum. And I'm ok with them. As I said, I'm friends with lots of them.

But it ain't my thing either. I like the mutant/animal ships the most. But the difference is that almost none of the ones I support are canon. :V
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #24
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior
 
The Big Bad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
Have you heard that phase? It use to describe any show that would skip the general logistics like...well pick any twilight zone episode or maybe even a doctor who episode that was written by Steven Moffat, and I feel that term has come to described recent Nick TMNT episodes. So do you think in order to enjoy watching it anymore, you would have stop taking this show seriously?
Glob, yes. I've realized this season that the episodes I enjoy the most are the ones which don't try to actually be dramatic, because the more serious episodes require me to think about the plot, and this series' plots and emotional beats take to analysis like paper takes to fire. The Doctor Who by Moffat comparison is damn near perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Nick TMNT series attracted an anime/tumblr/fangirl crowd to the fandom that had never existed before.
They've always existed. What's different now is that they have a space that welcomes them and has allowed them to visibly and semi-safely express themselves.
__________________
Monsters of New York, my TMNT/Gargoyles Blog


Avatar artwork by Madseason.

Previous avatar artwork by Lorna-ka.

Last edited by The Big Bad; 09-08-2014 at 07:50 PM.
The Big Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 38,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Bad View Post

They've always existed. What's different now is that they have a space that welcomes them and has allowed them to visibly and semi-safely express themselves.
Well at least tumblr keeps them away from the forums, so I guess all is good. I imagine most of those girls have never gotten into TMNT before and the Nick cartoon is their first exposure to it, so they assume the antics between the brothers and the Don/April thing is the norm for the franchise.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #26
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well at least tumblr keeps them away from the forums, so I guess all is good. I imagine most of those girls have never gotten into TMNT before and the Nick cartoon is their first exposure to it, so they assume the antics between the brothers and the Don/April thing is the norm for the franchise.
Who cares what they assume, and who cares if Nick is their first exposure to it? Most of us never read the comics first.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #27
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I imagine most of those girls have never gotten into TMNT before and the Nick cartoon is their first exposure to it
Well if that really is the case for many, who's doing this with the Nick Turtles, teens? In that case I'm inclined to just leave well enough alone and let them have their thing, assuming we're talking about the so-called "shipping" and more intimate stuff. Just the harmless fantasy of youngsters.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #28
Luckyday
Mad Scientist
 
Luckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,292
Maybe this is a good opportunity to experiment with itself and try new things since there is no real plot driven storyline other then Karai at this point. I guess I wouldn't mind watching a couple pizza face episodes like this. I guess it beats watching another monster of the week.
__________________
Quote:
It’s time we stop trying to be perfect and be who we really are.
We’re crazed, angry, sweaty animals!
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:05 AM   #29
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well at least tumblr keeps them away from the forums, so I guess all is good. I imagine most of those girls have never gotten into TMNT before and the Nick cartoon is their first exposure to it, so they assume the antics between the brothers and the Don/April thing is the norm for the franchise.
It depends on their age. A lot of them are old enough to have seen the 2003 series at the very least, but I wouldn't doubt there's a lot of newbies mixed in there too.

And let me tell you, the age of Tumblr fandom bloggers is pretty varied. I see 13-15 year olds on there a lot, but there's also a sizeable portion of people that are in their 20s.

EDIT: Also, not all of them are girls. Stop implying only the girls could be "bad".
__________________

Last edited by Netkeeper; 09-09-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:56 AM   #30
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,544
I still don't get this tumblr stuff, but I guess if I used it I would.

I signed up for it long ago as a friend talked me into it but I've yet to use or even really frequent it.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #31
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There is little to no shipping in TMNT since the one canon pairing (April/Casey) is expected to happen in every series so not much thought comes to it.

Also TMNT has a lack of female characters, besides Karai and a few others, so there's not much pairings to go for. And people don't like giving the TMNT love interests in general.
Wrong: Heterosexist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Those people are shunned to the darkest corners of deviantart and tumblr. We don't want to acknowledge them.

I don't mind "furry" ships, I did like Raph's relationship with Ninjara in Archie, but I'm too keen on animalxanimal pairings...even if they are mutants.
Wrong: You do not speak for all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well at least tumblr keeps them away from the forums, so I guess all is good.
Wrong: Gatekeepers like you keep the female fanbase on places like DeviantArt and Tumblr. I've heard from numerous women who say they avoid this board like the plague because they don't want to subject themselves to the impotent fanboy rage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I imagine most of those girls have never gotten into TMNT before and the Nick cartoon is their first exposure to it, so they assume the antics between the brothers and the Don/April thing is the norm for the franchise.
Wrong.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.

Last edited by plastroncafe; 09-09-2014 at 06:34 AM.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #32
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Wrong: Gatekeepers like you keep the female fanbase on places like DeviantArt and Tumblr. I've heard from numerous women who say they avoid this board like the plague because they don't want to subject themselves to the impotent fanboy rage.
Most of the girls I'm friends with [and most of my friends are girls] say the same thing. Some of them have actually told me they consider me quite brave for posting here as much as I do. They are scared of the people here.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #33
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Most of the girls I'm friends with [and most of my friends are girls] say the same thing. Some of them have actually told me they consider me quite brave for posting here as much as I do. They are scared of the people here.
I hear that all the time as well, and even well before the "Shellshocked" interview with Ciro.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #34
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist
 
Refractive Reflections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Wrong: Gatekeepers like you keep the female fanbase on places like DeviantArt and Tumblr. I've heard from numerous women who say they avoid this board like the plague because they don't want to subject themselves to the impotent fanboy rage.
Well that sounds sexist right there actually, almost as if "fanboys" are the ones who get into impotent rage. I'm pretty sure there's just as much heated impotent fangirl rage (maybe not here, but the internet in general) with different topics, for example if it came to shipping, over who's better for Nick April with the whole Donnie vs. Casey situation. It's more of an issue of being overtly passionate over a franchise, and having far more people at a particular webpage rather than gender behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Most of the girls I'm friends with [and most of my friends are girls] say the same thing. Some of them have actually told me they consider me quite brave for posting here as much as I do. They are scared of the people here.
Really? I know these forums have their share of sly trolls and cynics, like any website that hosts forums, but it's the internet. The reason Deviantart and Tumblr appear to be safer is because anyone can make some random remote webpage that's difficult to find, and be able to isolate themselves to their close friends and contacts (with blocking features), but with the Technodrome Forums, it's fairly distinct in being one of the, if not the biggest, forum site for TMNT, so there's going to be a lot more people showing up, carrying with them their criticisms and their internet personalities. Therefore, there's bound to be someone out there who vehemently opposes one's viewpoint/opinion in some way. I'm not saying I support the harsh environment, but that's the culture of this form of communication when there's an increasing amount of people arriving at a site that have some anonymity.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 09-09-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #35
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Well that sounds sexist right there actually, almost as if "fanboys" are the ones who get into impotent rage. I'm pretty sure there's just as much heated impotent fangirl rage (maybe not here, but the internet in general) with different topics, for example if it came to shipping, over who's better for Nick April with the whole Donnie vs. Casey situation. It's more of an issue of being overtly passionate over a franchise, and having far more people at a particular webpage rather than gender behavior.
Yes, yes. #NotAllFanboys.
First off, you assume I think fanboys are all of a specific gender, which I don't. I'm a woman, and identify as a fanboy.

Secondly, don't confuse passion with being an outright jerk. It's not passion that I have a problem with, it's the hostile attitude that, "SOMEONE IS PLAYING WITH THEIR TOYS WRONG!" The idea that there's only one-true-way to be a fan, and anyone who deviates from that needs be "Shunned to the darkest corners" of another part of the web.

Like what you like.
Don't like what you don't like.
As the song goes....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

Quote:
Really? I know these forums have their share of sly trolls and cynics, like any website that hosts forums, but it's the internet. The reason Deviantart and Tumblr appear to be safer is because anyone can make some random remote webpage that's difficult to find, and be able to isolate themselves to their close friends and contacts (with blocking features), but with the Technodrome Forums, it's fairly distinct in being one of the, if not the biggest, forum site for TMNT, so there's going to be a lot more people showing up, carrying with them their criticisms and their internet personalities. Therefore, there's bound to be someone out there who vehemently opposes one's viewpoint/opinion in some way. I'm not saying I support the harsh environment, but that's the culture of this form of communication when there's an increasing amount of people that have some anonymity.
If you're not fighting to dismantle a toxic status quo, then you are in fact supporting it.

Tumblr and DeviantArt don't "appear" to be safer because they allow a certain level of security, they ARE safer because they allow a certain level of security. And women go there so they don't have to deal with Jerk Gatekeepers.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #36
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Really? I know these forums have their share of sly trolls and cynics, like any website that hosts forums, but it's the internet. The reason Deviantart and Tumblr appear to be safer is because anyone can make some random remote webpage that's difficult to find, and be able to isolate themselves to their close friends and contacts (with blocking features), but with the Technodrome Forums, it's fairly distinct in being one of the, if not the biggest, forum site for TMNT, so there's going to be a lot more people showing up, carrying with them their criticisms and their internet personalities. Therefore, there's bound to be someone out there who vehemently opposes one's viewpoint/opinion in some way. I'm not saying I support the harsh environment, but that's the culture of this form of communication when there's an increasing amount of people arriving at a site that have some anonymity.
These forums have far more than their fair share of trolls and cynics, and I say this as one myself, but I present myself that way here on purpose because the environment here is far more toxic than a place like Tumblr. I put up my walls here, because I know this type of environment can be damaging. I've frequented fandom forums for over a decade, and I've been on Tumblr for half a decade -- I can say with confidence that Tumblr is a far safer environment, but it's not because you can isolate yourself, since it's just as easy to be dogpiled on Tumblr as it is here [why else do people hate SJWs? They sic their followers on people. I've been a victim of that several times myself]. It's because the percentage of harmful people is lower than the percentage of harmful people on almost any fandom forum, not just this one.

That and forums aren't exempt from their own stereotypes and reputations. Just as we tend to view Tumblr as an SJW breeding ground, other places view forums as rabid fanboy hives that are often sexist, racist, homophobic, and filled with people that think they're way smarter than they actually are. [They're also more likely to contain people like CyberCubed that lord their opinion over others and treat it as fact. That's a stereotype too.] The only fandom forums I've been to that didn't carry a large userbase that conformed to these stereotypes were run by and for female and LGBT fans.

Also, many of these problems are multiplied when the userbase has lots of gamers or western comic book fans. This forum has both.

This environment is not "just the internet".
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #37
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
These forums have far more than their fair share of trolls and cynics, and I say this as one myself, but I present myself that way here on purpose because the environment here is far more toxic than a place like Tumblr. I put up my walls here, because I know this type of environment can be damaging. I've frequented fandom forums for over a decade, and I've been on Tumblr for half a decade -- I can say with confidence that Tumblr is a far safer environment, but it's not because you can isolate yourself, since it's just as easy to be dogpiled on Tumblr as it is here [why else do people hate SJWs? They sic their followers on people. I've been a victim of that several times myself]. It's because the percentage of harmful people is lower than the percentage of harmful people on almost any fandom forum, not just this one.

That and forums aren't exempt from their own stereotypes and reputations. Just as we tend to view Tumblr as an SJW breeding ground, other places view forums as rabid fanboy hives that are often sexist, racist, homophobic, and filled with people that think they're way smarter than they actually are. [They're also more likely to contain people like CyberCubed that lord their opinion over others and treat it as fact. That's a stereotype too.] The only fandom forums I've been to that didn't carry a large userbase that conformed to these stereotypes were run by and for female and LGBT fans.

Also, many of these problems are multiplied when the userbase has lots of gamers or western comic book fans. This forum has both.

This environment is not "just the internet".
This entire explanation is foreign and strange to me.

I guess I don't frequent the Internet enough to get it fully.

Getting down to it, I don't frequent many fandom boards. I come here, a Detective Conan board, a You Can't Do That on Television forum and that's pretty much all I can think of that I go to semi regularly. You know, scratch that. I go to those other ones once in a blue moon. I watch videos way more.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #38
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
I used to be a regular on the InvisionFree Support Forums. I saw peoples' forums every day, trying to help them with their problems, joining other forums, moderating them, the works. My whole life revolved around forums for years.

But I do consider it a good thing that you can't relate to my post. Means you've probably had it easier than me in regards to fandoms on the internet. That's good.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 38,157
Most discussions on tumblr resolve around shipping and, "which female character is the best" for other fandom's.

Since TMNT has a lack of major female characters, and shipping in TMNT has always been practically non-existent, that kind of stuff doesn't really work here. The TMNT fandom hasn't been sitting here for the last 25 years saying, "Which girl should each Turtle wind up with?" and so forth.

This is not anime. This is not shipping. This is not female character wars. This is TMNT.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #40
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most discussions on tumblr resolve around shipping and, "which female character is the best" for other fandom's.

Since TMNT has a lack of major female characters, and shipping in TMNT has always been practically non-existent, that kind of stuff doesn't really work here. The TMNT fandom hasn't been sitting here for the last 25 years saying, "Which girl should each Turtle wind up with?" and so forth.

This is not anime. This is not shipping. This is not female character wars. This is TMNT.
This is gatekeeping.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cybercubed the homophobe, cybercubed thinks deep

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.