The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 38,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
This is gatekeeping.
Yeah, but by that logic we should open a forum for Turtlecest shippers and let them come here. I'd rather they stay isolated in the darkest corners of deviantart and tumblr, separate from normal society.

I don't mind shipping in general, but it really has little to no place in TMNT, its why nobody cares about April/Casey as a pairing at all, it simply "happens" and nobody thinks of it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #42
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
You don't even use Tumblr, there's no sense in trying to convince us that the conversation there is something that it's not. I don't see very much shipping discussion. I see a lot of headcanon discussion. I don't see very many "female character wars", either, I don't even know what you're talking about there.

And didn't Plastron point this out before? Not all shipping is heterosexual. If a canon lacks female characters, shipping isn't going to go away, it's just going to be male/male instead [or did you never get into DragonBall or Megaman? Because I did, and I ship a hell of a lot of things in both of them as well as TMNT]. You have to be a special kind of ignorant to not know about ships like Raph/Casey and Leo/Usagi. Do you want me to get more examples for you?
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #43
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah, but by that logic we should open a forum for Turtlecest shippers and let them come here. I'd rather they stay isolated in the darkest corners of deviantart and tumblr, separate from normal society.

I don't mind shipping in general, but it really has little to no place in TMNT, its why nobody cares about April/Casey as a pairing at all, it simply "happens" and nobody thinks of it.
Trust me, the feeling is mutual.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #44
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 24,025
I think what I love most about 'Cubed is his bald-faced intolerance and bigotry. Either that, or his complete Shia LaBeouf-like lack of self-awareness as to how he presents himself to other people. It's tragically hilarious.

I love how he makes unprovoked broad, sweeping, insensitive and inflammatory statements. Like some kind of imbecilic Dutch person.

__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #45
Kingoji
Hench Mutant
 
Kingoji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most discussions on tumblr resolve around shipping and, "which female character is the best" for other fandom's.
I didn't realise that someone had indexed the entire contents of Tumblr. Must have missed the memo.

But speaking as a straight white male who does use Tumblr, you're talking out of your arse. I've never encountered the kind of behaviour you claim exists there.

I have however encountered TMNT shipping... loooong before the new series was even a glimmer in Nick's eye. But again, never on Tumblr. Not saying it isn't there, but it's clearly not as rife as you claim.
__________________
If you can't take your 'Ninja Turtles' with a knowing wink and a smile on your face then what have you got left?
Kingoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #46
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I think what I love most about 'Cubed is his bald-faced intolerance and bigotry. Either that, or his complete Shia LaBeouf-like lack of self-awareness as to how he presents himself to other people. It's tragically hilarious.

I love how he makes unprovoked broad, sweeping, insensitive and inflammatory statements. Like some kind of imbecilic Dutch person.

I'm both horrified and intrigued at the prospect of meeting him in the meatworld some day
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #47
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I'm both horrified and intrigued at the prospect of meeting him in the meatworld some day
This.

Some people are way different when you actually meet them. Some of the coolest people I know offline are insufferable when they get behind a keyboard. I've run into the inverse, too.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #48
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 24,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingoji View Post
But speaking as a straight white male who does use Tumblr, you're talking out of your arse.
87 F'n points for using the word "arse" in a conversation, my dude. Y'know what? It's Tuesday and it ain't rainin', go ahead and make it an even hundred. Don't say I never gave ya nothin'. 25 Bonus Points if you're actually a Celt.

As far as online vs. real life personas, I kind of only have one gimmick and I play it everywhere. S'just one'a me. Less to remember. I'm bewildered how some people craft elaborate personas for themselves on the internet, seems like a lot of work for absolutely zero upside. Ah well. I guess some people just feel they're not very interesting otherwise? ((Shrug))

It's like my wrestling gimmick, how some guys play a whole new character from who they really are; I can't be bothered with that noise, that's entirely too much work. They tried, at first, I'm like "can't I just do what I always do, but with tights on?" They're like, "Y'know what, yeah, you're a f*ckin' cartoon anyways, just do you." It works.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #49
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist
 
Refractive Reflections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Yes, yes. #NotAllFanboys.
First off, you assume I think fanboys are all of a specific gender, which I don't. I'm a woman, and identify as a fanboy.

Secondly, don't confuse passion with being an outright jerk. It's not passion that I have a problem with, it's the hostile attitude that, "SOMEONE IS PLAYING WITH THEIR TOYS WRONG!" The idea that there's only one-true-way to be a fan, and anyone who deviates from that needs be "Shunned to the darkest corners" of another part of the web.

Like what you like.
Don't like what you don't like.
As the song goes....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI
Thank you for the clarification. I just didn't know that you separate "fanboy" and "fangirl" into something apart from gender identification. So on that note... how do you define a "fanboy" versus a "fangirl" then?


Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
If you're not fighting to dismantle a toxic status quo, then you are in fact supporting it.

Tumblr and DeviantArt don't "appear" to be safer because they allow a certain level of security, they ARE safer because they allow a certain level of security. And women go there so they don't have to deal with Jerk Gatekeepers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
These forums have far more than their fair share of trolls and cynics, and I say this as one myself, but I present myself that way here on purpose because the environment here is far more toxic than a place like Tumblr. I put up my walls here, because I know this type of environment can be damaging. I've frequented fandom forums for over a decade, and I've been on Tumblr for half a decade -- I can say with confidence that Tumblr is a far safer environment, but it's not because you can isolate yourself, since it's just as easy to be dogpiled on Tumblr as it is here [why else do people hate SJWs? They sic their followers on people. I've been a victim of that several times myself]. It's because the percentage of harmful people is lower than the percentage of harmful people on almost any fandom forum, not just this one.

That and forums aren't exempt from their own stereotypes and reputations. Just as we tend to view Tumblr as an SJW breeding ground, other places view forums as rabid fanboy hives that are often sexist, racist, homophobic, and filled with people that think they're way smarter than they actually are. [They're also more likely to contain people like CyberCubed that lord their opinion over others and treat it as fact. That's a stereotype too.] The only fandom forums I've been to that didn't carry a large userbase that conformed to these stereotypes were run by and for female and LGBT fans.

Also, many of these problems are multiplied when the userbase has lots of gamers or western comic book fans. This forum has both.

This environment is not "just the internet".
I guess I'll take both of your statements concern it. It could be a slippery slope though (as we've seen here) on security measures in defining the difference between "trolling" versus a highly unpopular, strongly passionate argument; in addition, to considering the sensitivity of users. ...But I guess it's narrowing down to the "imposing" aspect or forcing it upon someone else, if we get right down to it. Right?

...But...couldn't one argue that the health of the internet trolls gauges the freedom of speech on the internet?

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 09-09-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #50
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,544
I'm pretty much the same online and off. I don't like conflict, so I watch what I say and try to treat others the way I would want to be treated.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #51
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
No. All the number of trolls indicates is how many people choose to be jerks rather than decent people.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 38,157
Funny that before tumblr was created. these people hung around livejournal and those angelfire websites and yahoo chat rooms in the early 2000's. Even before tumblr these people were segregated from the rest of the fandom.

There is no equal opportunity here, you either like the show for normal reasons or you're shunned to the backwaters. While people can agree/disagree on the show of course, the most absurd headcanon's and wishfullfillment stuff is best left at the door.

We're in the year 2014, not 1999.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #53
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I hear that all the time as well, and even well before the "Shellshocked" interview with Ciro.
What was this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
I know these forums have their share of sly trolls and cynics, like any website that hosts forums, but it's the internet. The reason Deviantart and Tumblr appear to be safer is because anyone can make some random remote webpage that's difficult to find, and be able to isolate themselves to their close friends and contacts (with blocking features), but with the Technodrome Forums, it's fairly distinct in being one of the, if not the biggest, forum site for TMNT, so there's going to be a lot more people showing up, carrying with them their criticisms and their internet personalities. Therefore, there's bound to be someone out there who vehemently opposes one's viewpoint/opinion in some way. I'm not saying I support the harsh environment, but that's the culture of this form of communication when there's an increasing amount of people arriving at a site that have some anonymity.
"It's the Internet" isn't really much of an excuse, though. The only reason some people behave like they do online, harassing/trolling and spewing gross nonsense, is because everyone else just puts up with it. If we can do better (and we can) then we should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
As far as online vs. real life personas, I kind of only have one gimmick and I play it everywhere. S'just one'a me. Less to remember. I'm bewildered how some people craft elaborate personas for themselves on the internet, seems like a lot of work for absolutely zero upside. Ah well. I guess some people just feel they're not very interesting otherwise? ((Shrug))
I'm the same, really. Don't see the need for an "alter ego" anymore. Hell, my username is just my actual name - kind of fell into a philosophy a while back that if I say something publicly, even online, I shouldn't be anonymous. I see either side of that concept, but it works for me.
__________________

Last edited by Bry; 09-09-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #54
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 13,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I think what I love most about 'Cubed is his bald-faced intolerance and bigotry. Either that, or his complete Shia LaBeouf-like lack of self-awareness as to how he presents himself to other people. It's tragically hilarious.

I love how he makes unprovoked broad, sweeping, insensitive and inflammatory statements. Like some kind of imbecilic Dutch person.

I'm now convinced this thread is really just a TMNT inspired form of performance art.



Only difference in me between real life and internetland is I'm more easily outspoken in writing. Real life I'm more the quiet, observing one who doesn't tend to have much to say. Otherwise in terms of personalty I'm the same.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #55
Kingoji
Hench Mutant
 
Kingoji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
87 F'n points for using the word "arse" in a conversation, my dude. Y'know what? It's Tuesday and it ain't rainin', go ahead and make it an even hundred. Don't say I never gave ya nothin'. 25 Bonus Points if you're actually a Celt.
English mother, Scot father, Irish grandparents. I should probably marry a Welsh girl and spawn the Super-Brit.
__________________
If you can't take your 'Ninja Turtles' with a knowing wink and a smile on your face then what have you got left?
Kingoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #56
zodiac brave
Stone Warrior
 
zodiac brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: san antonio, tx
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There is little to no shipping in TMNT since the one canon pairing (April/Casey) is expected to happen in every series so not much thought comes to it.
shipping isn't just whats canon. the idea of shipping really can do with anything from what is indeed canon to what people want to do with headcanon or fanfic or whatever. shipping is the idea of pairing two characters together, regardless of whether or not its been done in official media.

again you're talking about something you REALLY, ACTUALLY dont even seem to get the definition of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
"It's the Internet" isn't really much of an excuse, though. The only reason some people behave like they do online, harassing/trolling and spewing gross nonsense, is because everyone else just puts up with it. If we can do better (and we can) then we should be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I think what I love most about 'Cubed is his bald-faced intolerance and bigotry. Either that, or his complete Shia LaBeouf-like lack of self-awareness as to how he presents himself to other people. It's tragically hilarious.

I love how he makes unprovoked broad, sweeping, insensitive and inflammatory statements. Like some kind of imbecilic Dutch person.



go, drome!
__________________
what we were after, was lashings of ultra-violence.

zodiac brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #57
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac brave View Post


go, drome!
At this point, in situations like this, it feels like CyberCubed officially comes with a little disclaimer asterisk that doesn't apply to anyone else.

That said - as much as I try to support a "just be nice" policy, some folks seem like they're practically begging for some blowback.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #58
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 38,157
Anyone else think the title of this thread read like the beginning of a hip-hop music video?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #59
zodiac brave
Stone Warrior
 
zodiac brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: san antonio, tx
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
At this point, in situations like this, it feels like CyberCubed officially comes with a little disclaimer asterisk that doesn't apply to anyone else.
yeah, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
That said - as much as I try to support a "just be nice" policy, some folks seem like they're practically begging for some blowback.
true dat...

oh my god, true dat!
__________________
what we were after, was lashings of ultra-violence.

zodiac brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #60
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan
 
DarkFell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: At the current moment, on your screen.
Posts: 1,770
People are gonna ship whatever they want to see happen. While I may not agree with every pairing, there are some interesting ones out there.

And no Cubed, most Turtle'cesters will not stay in a deep dark prison corner. They are entitled to draw what they want as much as the rest of the viewing audience is entitled to like their fanart or dislike it.

Yes this is TMNT, and yes we as people are entitled to see TMNT in whatever way makes US happy. There isn't no right or wrong way to view or enjoy a franchise fandom.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cybercubed the homophobe, cybercubed thinks deep

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.