The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Any one a fan of One Piece series?

The popular series from Japan? Seriously, that things over there

I love the series, in my opinion best series since Dragon Ball.

Luffy and Zoro are my favorites
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I started watching it awhile back, but I haven't watched in awhile. Really need to start on it again.

But yeah, Luffy is a favorite of mine as well so far.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

My favourite fictional story/series of all time!

Oda is one of my heroes, hell, I wrote a whole essay on him and his influence in storytelling for English.

My favourite character will always be a tie between Roronoa Zoro and Monkey D. Luffy!

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
sdp
-

Hey, if you had to recommend one episode or movie to someone who knows nothing about the franchise to watch what would you recommend?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
snake
Disgusting

I watched it about 106 episodes in and I took a little break. I'm gonna pick it up again soon.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
Amaranthus
Banned

I've seen the earlier episodes but because the channel that's broadcasting it here only shows the same 50 (more or less) episodes over and over again I stopped watching. It's a shame, because I loved it.
Amaranthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I enjoyed it back when it aired on the Fox Box, though I lost interest rather quickly.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #8
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Hey, if you had to recommend one episode or movie to someone who knows nothing about the franchise to watch what would you recommend?
That's hard to do, because so much of what makes One Piece great is the build up to absolutely insane moments over the course of an arc. The series is a master class in building up antagonists you want to see get crushed, or in focusing on side characters/stories that all culminate in super satisfying ways. I'd say if you want to see one arc hit its insane conclusion and see where the show typical goes on its high notes; you should YouTube Luffy vs Crocodile. Watching it out of context makes it entirely devoid of a lot of the things that make the end of that fight so god damn satisfying, but it's also a pretty cool scene in its own right.

Also, this scene is kind of an incredible microcosm of the series in general. The drama, the build up, the smattering of (seemingly) needless dialogue and then the absolute explosion at the end.

And speaking of buildup, did anyone watch yesterdays episode? I got a few shivers in that one, finally seeing so much sh*t go down in a single episode was a long time coming.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Haven't watched it in over two years due to getting burnt out of it for a while. I had watched 90% of it in 2011-2012, after all. Left off at the middle-end of the Fishmen Island arc. As for the manga, I'm only at the beginning of Skypiea arc.

Will get back to it someday, but life and other things keep getting in the way. Not to mention I don't want to catch up to it and wait impatiently for the next episodes and arcs. At the time I started it, I never thought I'd knock about 560 episodes plus movies and OVAs in a year.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #10
MisfitKraang
Foot Soldier

Aww yes!!! I'm a huge fan of One Piece!!!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:03 PM   #11
snake
Disgusting

I reached 111 today, right after where Luffy gets stabbed by Crocodile. I seriously have no idea how Luffy's gonna kick his ass when he can barely land a hit, so the next few eps have me excited. The rebels/marine/royals battle is also pretty exciting, but I'm mostly focused on Luffy/Crocodile. Robin too, I want to see more of her.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #12
Peanut
Second Gear

Finally got to see this animated last night watching the Season 6 Voyage 3 Funimation dub and it was everything I dreamed of. I had previously read through the Thriller Bark saga in the manga during my insane catch-up period, because Season 6 of the anime was, for some reason, totally non-existent on any streaming service.

I don't think this scene is as good as in the dub, but it's still pretty great.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #13
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Just wanted to say that new episode with the brief Zoro Vs. Fujitora.... Anime Perfection!

Also, this is the greatest and most badass OST I've ever heard:

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #14
sdp
-

Well I watched the one episode of One Piece on cruncyroll that is free and it was pretty much what I thought it'd be and didn't interest me alot. I realize this was one episode that started a storyline and it would be unfair like watching one episode of say Dragon Ball and judging the whole series but it just didn't grab me. I guess I'll really have to start from episode 1 and watch at least 40 episodes or so to see if it grabs me, would that be a better idea?

I just don't know if I'm really missing out on something I'd love or if it's really just not for me. There is no dub of One Piece anymore right? And is the super censored version the only dub available? It's easier for me to watch a show if I can watch it passively while doing some other work instead of having to read subtitles.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #15
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Well I watched the one episode of One Piece on cruncyroll that is free and it was pretty much what I thought it'd be and didn't interest me alot. I realize this was one episode that started a storyline and it would be unfair like watching one episode of say Dragon Ball and judging the whole series but it just didn't grab me. I guess I'll really have to start from episode 1 and watch at least 40 episodes or so to see if it grabs me, would that be a better idea?

I just don't know if I'm really missing out on something I'd love or if it's really just not for me. There is no dub of One Piece anymore right? And is the super censored version the only dub available? It's easier for me to watch a show if I can watch it passively while doing some other work instead of having to read subtitles.
You're missing out. Watch until the end of Arlong Park, which is episode 42 or something. Funimation doesn't censor at all and is currently in the 300s.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #16
Mew
Banned

I want to try to watch it. Is episode 1 on Youtube?
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #17
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MewMeow View Post
I want to try to watch it. Is episode 1 on Youtube?
No. Either use a streaming site or buy funimation sets.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #18
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:

I use to be a One Piece fan. Watched probably the first 100 episodes, but lost interest when toonami was taken off the air.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #19
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I use to be a One Piece fan. Watched probably the first 100 episodes, but lost interest when toonami was taken off the air.
You probably watched the 4kids dub, which is hilariously bad, but does the show no justice at all.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:29 PM   #20
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
You probably watched the 4kids dub, which is hilariously bad, but does the show no justice at all.
Yeah I did and it wasn't the voice acting at all. It was the story. I missed a huge chunk of the story after Toonami went down and never caught up. I tried watching the newer episodes, but just became disinterested.
It has amazing characters, but the story is just boring for me at this point.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peanut