The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-24-2021, 10:37 PM   #61
Allio
Foot Elite

Can you really get onto TMNT for "japanese stereotypes" when the most offensive japanese stereotypes was from the manga turtles done by japanese people?
Old 03-24-2021, 10:45 PM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

If the Turtles were raised by a Japanese sensei why do they all speak in New York lingo? Shouldn't they all have Japanese accents? Nobody ever seemed to think of this.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:48 PM   #63
Leo656
The Franchise

They don't even speak in "New York lingo." They talk like Bill and Ted who are from f*cking San Dimas. These idiots don't know WHAT they are.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:49 PM   #64
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
They don't even speak in "New York lingo." They talk like Bill and Ted who are from f*cking San Dimas. These idiots don't know WHAT they are.
Even back in the day I remember Elbert or someone reviewing one of the TMNT VHS tapes mentioning that 'they speak with California lingo which seems out of place in New York'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:08 AM   #65
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikWolferson View Post
Except Splinter/Hamato Yoshi WAS Japanese.

Idk,has the twitter crowd run out of targets,so they might come for 30 y.o. cartoon? It's possible,I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
This stupid thread got pretty far without a mention of Kevin Splinter Clash being accused of diddlying kids. Whatever happened with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
It's a $#!(bag thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
Things should only be cancelled if they are harmful. What the hell is harmful about any of this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Absolutely nothing. This thread is just trying to stir up trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Omg you sound like paranoid lunatics. No, TMNT is adaptable and generally inoffensive.
Have you read the articles linked on the original post? They came after Looney Tunes, Dr. Seuss and Disney which are older than TMNT. If you think this isn't a possibility, were you able to foresee all of this "cancelling" upon children's cartoons and literature just 10, or 5 years ago? The definition of "harmful" has changed over the years from when they were originally created, and this is why some cartoons and literature are being restricted presently, and deemed unsuitable for children.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:21 AM   #66
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm a bit on R. Kelly's side. He's a weird dude into some really, really weird sh**... but when you listen to these women speak out against him, they knew damn well what they were getting into. Every one of them.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-25-2021 at 06:44 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:17 AM   #67
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Not really. 2K3 Baxter never respected Shredder, any time he called him Master was kinda sarcastic, if anything Hun called him Master a lot more.

Don't remember 2012 calling Shredder 'master' to be honest.
Yeah, it was, but he still called him "Master". I'm pretty sure I've heard 2012 Baxter call him "Master Shredder", especially in the latter seasons.

Quote:
Omg you sound like paranoid lunatics. No, TMNT is adaptable and generally inoffensive.
Clearly, you were not around in 2017/2018 when crap hit the fan in the fandom over ROTTMNT. Also, as Jester said, almost anything can be deemed offensive to people out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
If the Turtles were raised by a Japanese sensei why do they all speak in New York lingo? Shouldn't they all have Japanese accents? Nobody ever seemed to think of this.
My mother has a spanish accent, but I don't have one.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:10 AM   #68
CyberCubed
Overlord

I get the feeling we might get a transgender Karai in a future incarnation. For some reason Karai strikes me as the type of character they would do that with. She has to be "head" of the Foot Clan after all, it's best to be both genders when you're a leader of a ninja clan typically controlled by men.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:39 AM   #69
Prowler
Emperor

Ofc the Turtles don't have a Japanese accent like Splinter/Yoshi do. They were born and raised in USA. They're Americans. They've never been to Japan. The language they grew up listening to on TV and the radio was English.

As for them not having New York accents, well not every TV show and movie is set in New York. The Turtles didn't seem to venture outside much before meeting April. Meaning they didn't have any significant contact with humans before meeting her. So they must have learned how to talk from watching TV.

And even a lot of shows and movies set in NYC don't have New York actors in them. One of the few common complains I've read people make about Seinfeld online was how "it's in NYC but nearly everyone speaks with a Californian accent".

In the 2k3 series, Raphael had more of a stereotypical New York accent. His brothers didn't, however.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #70
sdp
Megan Fox = April

In mirage all turtles have NY accents, those are the versions that count not the kid versions of cartoons.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #71
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

There is always the whole, "They got their accents from watching TV" thing. Not because of people in NY (they don't interact with them anyway) or CA.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:00 AM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

How do the Turtles find a working TV in the sewer anyway? Is there even any place down there to plug it in?
Old 03-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #73
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
How do the Turtles find a working TV in the sewer anyway? Is there even any place down there to plug it in?
It's not hard to imagine "supply runs" at night in alleys and dumpsters and all. They'd find a TV eventually. And I'm sure they could patch into some maintenance power line underground... something has to power those lights for sewer workers.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:04 PM   #74
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Believe me, people from ANY side can find SOMETHING offensive about the seemingly inoffensive.

Need we be reminded:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg
Bahaha I forgot about that. Someone tried to cancel it but it didn't work then. I guess the only real issue is the Japanese ninja appropriation stuff, but for some reason this has not yet become a cancellable issue. Maybe some Japanese people will take offense but that doesn't seem to catch on.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #75
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Maybe some Japanese people will take offense but that doesn't seem to catch on.
That's not really the way it works. It'd be some white people getting offended on behalf of Japanese people, not Japanese people themselves.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #76
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's not really the way it works. It'd be some white people getting offended on behalf of Japanese people, not Japanese people themselves.
And it won't work anyway cause Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki ARE Japanese.

EDIT- I forgot, it wouldn't be the case if the character are or aren't Japanese, the big 'crime' would be that a bunch of white people are writing stories about Japanese people and martial arts.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 03-25-2021 at 05:27 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #77
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Have you read the articles linked on the original post? They came after Looney Tunes, Dr. Seuss and Disney which are older than TMNT. If you think this isn't a possibility, were you able to foresee all of this "cancelling" upon children's cartoons and literature just 10, or 5 years ago? The definition of "harmful" has changed over the years from when they were originally created, and this is why some cartoons and literature are being restricted presently, and deemed unsuitable for children.
The definition of harmful hasn't changed at all. This is the kind of nonsense that onboarders say to justify lunacy.

The use of "harmful" has been weaponized, mostly by people who are making any connection they can that involves "race" in order to make a statement. If the people who weaponize action against perceived "harmful behaviours" really cared about harm then there would be greater subscription to "live and let live" instead of "outrage and cancellation".

It's all a lie. All of it. And the changes you mentioned are done out of fear of the witch hunt. Which is ironic, because so many people don't want to acknowledge this as what's going on, yet they sure as hell are afraid of it. It's all a lie and it's so deep that even people who know it's a lie continue to lie about it out of fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Exactly. This guy above was saying that the definition of harmful has changed as if this is all a movement of a genuine nature. It's not. It's a movement of reverse psychology and verbal judo. It's all a lie that has caught on for the same reasons that an entire town was overtaken by mania in Massachusetts and burned people alive in Salem. It's the exact same thing, and the fact that we see so many posts about it here for example tells us clearly that the world is still populated with same emotionally clad fool archetypes of humanity as was back then. It's the exact same thing - even an ahead of the curve fifth grader could see it if not mired in the psychology social acceptance.

Last edited by IMJ; 03-25-2021 at 05:30 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #78
CyberCubed
Overlord

As a white man I am offended that those who are offended aren't really offended but are pretending to be offended for those of us who think they are offended. Meanwhile it is the ones who are really offended but don't seem like they're offended because white people are offended upon their behalf and think they are offended meanwhile it belittles the ones who really are offended because other people think they can be offended to when they are not the ones who are offended.

You can only be offended so much.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #79
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Poor excuse. Too often those who are the target of something and actually do want it to stop are ignored. Too easy just to pretend it's only white people and don't matter since that then excuses any need to change or make an effort to stop being a jerk. The real voices whose opinion matter tend to be ignored if they don't like it; a few cherry picked opinions that don't care tend to be pointed at as proof that it fine, but the rest ignored.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-26-2021 at 01:01 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:15 PM   #80
Leo656
The Franchise

Words aren't bullets. They shouldn't hurt so bad.

- Signed, "A Kid Who Got Teased, Picked On, Bullied, and Occasionally Beaten Up Almost Constantly From Kindergarten Through The End Of 8th Grade, But Refused To Succumb To 'Victim' Mentality And In Turn Became A Better, Stronger Person"

P.S.: If anyone tries to say it's "not the same for white people", I'd argue that being beaten up by a half-dozen kids and thrown in a ditch because your parents got arrested for drugs, being called "trash" and taunted for "living in a cardboard box" because the bank foreclosed on your house and you had to move to a sh*tbox apartment, and told that "nobody's ever going to love you, you're gross" because you're short, skinny, and have rather effeminate facial features, all hurts JUST as much no matter what your skin color is. I'd actually argue that those things are much, much worse than calling an Indian kid "Apu" or making Mulan jokes at Asian kids.

Seriously. I have an open-hand for anyone who even tries to argue that either white people are "immune" from bullying, or that race makes a damn bit of difference.

Yeah, people could and should be nicer. But they're not, and they're never going to be. Therefore, people NEED to Toughen Up. We don't live in "I Wish" Land. Every single person is taught "Treat others the way YOU want to be treated" by the age of 5. MOST people in turn just chuck that right out the window. It's never gonna change. Expecting or even hoping that it will is wasted energy.

Just Be The Change You Want To See and let that be good enough. Nobody's changing the world. Ever.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancel culture