The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
Allio
Foot Elite
 
Allio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,579
Censorship in Videogames

so with the controversy of the censorship in the game Monster Monpiece...I want to ask, where do you stand on censorship?

I for one find it idiotic and I don't think games should be censored at all, it takes away from the full experience of the game...why take less when you can have it all?
__________________

Last edited by Allio; 01-29-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 23,784
I have no idea what game this is in reference too, but I'm entirely against censorship of any kind. Literally everything is offensive to someone, so who gets to set the criteria on what is and isn't "allowed" in games, movies, books, music, or society in general?

People have shown they can police themselves just fine. There's no reason why anything should be censored, ever. People all know things like breasts and swear words exist. Putting them into a game, book or movie doesn't automatically make it better, but it's silly to pretend an audience isn't there for it. Denying people what they want just because some people don't like it is silly in these supposedly more sophisticated times.

Let people who like Product A partake in it, and let others pick Product B if Product A offends them. A society that claims to support freedom of expression and freedom of choice has no business with censorship in any form.

Again, though, what game is this and what's the controversy?
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
Peanut
Second Gear
 
Peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The New World
Posts: 15,422
Are you f*cking kidding? Controversy? To who? People who should be locked up? It's a card game that involves anime girls stripping to level up.

Are you telling me the censored cards AREN'T going to end up being the ones that look like children? If you have any issue with the censorship of sexually charged depictions of prepubescent children; you're a human piece of sh*t.

This is about as controversial as the Bravely Default costume changes. It matters to no one except disgusting, lonely, pathetic nerds.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
The Stryker
Stupid Rich
 
The Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Room 237
Posts: 11,148
If the censorship comes over stuff that is completely creepy and awful I'm cool with it.

Bravely Default being the current example. Sexing up 15 year olds ain't no good.
__________________

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 23,784
That is pretty bizarre. Doesn't sound like something that the general public would ask for at all. Stuff like that should have its own niche marketplace to cater to its niche audience. Just because there is technically a market for anything doesn't mean all things should be available or marketed in the same place. Things can be available to those who do want them, but kept where they belong.

I'm always surprised and forced to shake my head at some of the types of games that are out there, but since I'll never encounter them I care less that they exist. People are gonna do what they want; some things should definitely be kept to oneself. I can't imagine anyone going to a store and actively asking for this kind of thing.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
Peanut
Second Gear
 
Peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The New World
Posts: 15,422
You honestly think this kind of sh*t should be "available to those who do want them" as long as it's kept where it "belongs"? You can't stop pedos from being into kids, so just make sure it's a niche market, out of the way of other stuff? Really? Or...you know...maybe not have a market for weird games that sexualize children? Maybe stomp it out completely?

As far as I'm concerned anyone who complains about this sh*t should be put on a watch list.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 23,784
People are going to do whatever they want, even if it's immoral or even illegal. Telling them it's unethical doesn't seem to stop them, since they apparently do it anyway. Compartmentalizing is different from censorship, though. As long as people keep their sh*t away from me so I can at least pretend it isn't there, I don't have to pay attention to it. Lots of things exist in the world that technically shouldn't. It's a bummer, but telling people "you can't/shouldn't" apparently doesn't work. Be nice if it did. The whole world would be a better place, and things would be so much easier.

But it definitely wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on the people on both the "supply" and "demand" side, in cases like this. If for no other reason than to make sure they never run for office or anything.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 38,101
I always wondered why Japan was so into lolicon and underage anime girls. I try to avoid this stuff but it winds up coming up in the various videogames and anime I come across that I have no choice.

Why do they sexualize 12 year old girls? It never made any sense to me.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #9
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,114
" Censorship in video game "

Just the one?

Also why did you start this topic without elaborating on what this thing's all about. I've never heard of Monster Monpiece and I'm pretty sure a lot of others haven't either.
__________________
LOOKING FOR Japanese TMNT video game manuals (specifically TMNT2/3 NES, all on Game Boy, TMNT4/RoS), or just scans

Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:50 AM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 23,784
Yeah I misread the title and thought it was about censorship in video games in general. I never heard of whatever game we're talking about.

"Ick Factor" or no, if the content doesn't actively break any laws there's literally nothing anyone can do about it. People obviously willed it into existence; all anyone who's against it can do is stay away from it. Something like this seems so niche and obscure, anyway.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #11
Allio
Foot Elite
 
Allio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,579
You know the thing is, Idea factory knows that this game has a very niche market over here in america; and they know this censorship will kill the sells of their intended audience...but with such a niche company as theirs, they don't want to take risks...at this point they are probably hoping to break even.

My one gripe is, if you are going to cut something out, why not make it worth our time

take Tatsunoko vs Capcom...they cut out one character to an already semi small roster...but they gave us 5 characters in it's place in the states

So why not give us something in return, we can't have 40 cards? okay, fine, do that, but give us new card art in return

take for example some of the card art wasn't censored because they looked like children, it was just the art was too extreme...alright fine, just commission some new art that is sexy, but not to the extreme


Children too young lookin? fine, cut those out...heck even better idea, give us some "Moe" images of those girls...That vampire girl wearing too little of clothing...fine replace it with a image of said vampire girl in a yukata smiling at the character all "Onii~chan" (though it would be Onee~chan as you are playing as a girl) you see her teeth with a little "gleem" on her fang - I'd buy the game in a heart beat if the game had "My little moster-sister can't be this cute" art work

basically the issue to me in the end this is like day 1 dlc to a game that should be in the game, but without the dlc


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
" Censorship in video game "

Just the one?

Also why did you start this topic without elaborating on what this thing's all about. I've never heard of Monster Monpiece and I'm pretty sure a lot of others haven't either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah I misread the title and thought it was about censorship in video games in general. I never heard of whatever game we're talking about.

"Ick Factor" or no, if the content doesn't actively break any laws there's literally nothing anyone can do about it. People obviously willed it into existence; all anyone who's against it can do is stay away from it. Something like this seems so niche and obscure, anyway.


Ooops, meant to put an 's'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
" Censorship in video game "

Just the one?

Also why did you start this topic without elaborating on what this thing's all about. I've never heard of Monster Monpiece and I'm pretty sure a lot of others haven't either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Are you f*cking kidding? Controversy? To who? People who should be locked up? It's a card game that involves anime girls stripping to level up.

Are you telling me the censored cards AREN'T going to end up being the ones that look like children? If you have any issue with the censorship of sexually charged depictions of prepubescent children; you're a human piece of sh*t.

This is about as controversial as the Bravely Default costume changes. It matters to no one except disgusting, lonely, pathetic nerds.
You're exaggerating alot over non-existent creatures set in a fictional world

these characters are like furry girls like Renamon and Krystal

sure we may like it in a "We will never get our hands on them" in an illusion kind of way

but do you think most of those people are going to be into in the real world? Hell no, most of these people will be running away just like any sane person

I mean it is the same way as a person that kills in videogames


As for Bravely Default...They age up the character, but yet they still add clothing...why? it should be 1 or the other...but again, Nintendo has been weird about their censorship
__________________

Last edited by Allio; 01-29-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:13 AM   #12
AT-Man
I SEEN IT
 
AT-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FIN
Posts: 2,206
I'm completely against censorship in video games, but no developer should ever cater to audience that wants to see sexualized underaged people.
__________________

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:36 AM   #13
Memphis
Stone Warrior
 
Memphis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 581
I'm not a fan of censoring, but I do see why it's done. Bravely Default and Fire Emblem Awakening are good examples, with scenes with the girls in skimpy clothes. In Japan it's not seen as sexual. It's usually used to show innocence, whereas in America stuff like that is strictly sexual. I blame the prudes.
__________________
I am a rock, not just another grain of sand.

Looking for MOC Dino figures. PM me if you're selling! *Already have Ankyl Leo*
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:17 AM   #14
AT-Man
I SEEN IT
 
AT-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FIN
Posts: 2,206
I blame Germany, because of them I cannot buy the European version of South Park: Stick of Truth. No one else should buy it either, total anti-support!
__________________

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior
 
TMNT_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Home, PA
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I always wondered why Japan was so into lolicon and underage anime girls.
The reason isn't so much because their sexually into young girls, but more because their trying to relive their youth.

You see, for the Japanese, adult romance is practically nonexistent. The moment they finish school they quickly get a job with very little free time. So, for the Japanese, these dating sims and card collectors are a way for them to experience a romantic relashionship again. This is why most anime and manga is about teenage boys and girls in high school, because the moment they grow up and graduate any form of freedom and adventure they used to have is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Or...you know...maybe not have a market for weird games that sexualize children? Maybe stomp it out completely?
The thing, that’s a very slippery slope. The moment you say this video game shouldn't exist, you create an opening to justify banning any video game that’s not Pong.

What about the Grand Theft Auto series? Why is that murder and carjacking simulator perfectly fine to exist, yet this dating simulator where a teenage boy dates a few teenage monster girls horrible? People who justify violent games always say "Their not real people I'm killing, so it's ok" but how is that any different to this game? These aren’t real girls who are being "sexualized", in fact in this game you’re not even dating humans, it's about dating Monster High-like girls. Why should the Call of Duty series exist? All it does is promote war and violence...

Do you see what I mean? Now don't get me wrong, this doesn’t mean I support the game, I'm just saying that you can't have freedom of speech without eventually hearing something you don't like. The moment you take a form of media away from one group because you think it's immoral, you create an opportunity for something you like to be taken away because some other group thinks it's immoral.
__________________
TMNT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
Peanut
Second Gear
 
Peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The New World
Posts: 15,422
No, I don't see what you mean. I'm talking about characters that are created to look like 9 year olds and then sexualized. That doesn't fit into your awful argument. I don't give a f*ck what the premise behind it is. It's pedophilia and it's f*cked up. Nowhere did I say this specific game shouldn't exist. I said games that include CHILDREN being used as SEX OBJECTS shouldn't exist. The localization of this game solves that problem by removing semi-nude CHILDREN. If you disagree with this you're a piece of sh*t.

I should probably stop trying to argue this with people who are very clearly creeps.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #17
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior
 
TMNT_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Home, PA
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
]that are created to look like 9 year olds
I just looked at the official website for the game, and you’re right. I had no idea that some of the characters in that game were presented as being that young, geez. The Japanese and their teenage girls is one thing, but this is a completely different matter.
__________________
TMNT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #18
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,583
Not sure how this is any different than an anime like, say, Negima. About an 11 year-old boy teaching a class full of 15 year-old girls who ALL end up being his "magical partners" (via a kiss!) to use magic to fight monsters, demons, and other stuff. And every time the kids sneezes, some girl looses her panties.... Weird, but in Japan this stuff is seen as perfectly acceptable and even normal. They play with it as tongue-in-cheek humor, which is how it should be. We all know that young girls in skimpy attire as "sex objects" is "wrong" (At least by modern Western standards- elsewhere, not so much. Some African and Middle-Eastern countries still MARRY girls as young as 10! And it's usually to men 10 years or more their senior- but WE like to pretend things like that don't happen anymore....) BUT that's our own biased cultural morality at work.

My view is that censorship is nearly always wrong, for that very reason. Whose standards are we going by? Western "civilized" society? In many ways, it's more backward than the countries where this kind of thing actually is considered "normal"! It's nothing more than a product of backward, patriarchal thinking by prudish men who even once went so far as to ban Christmas in one state back in the 1600's because it had pagan origins. One person's "sick" is another's acceptable. Censorship is just a way of saying "I don't like what you do, so you can't see/hear/own it". Which is wrong.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #19
Peanut
Second Gear
 
Peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The New World
Posts: 15,422
No. Having or wanting sex from a child is not right. I don't give a SH*T how you want to phrase it, twist it, or justify it. Cultural differences, historical reasoning, don't care.

Anyone who says otherwise doesn't have children in their life and therefore can't put themselves in the shoes of someone who has feared for their children's well being, or in some terrible cases had their own kids sexually abused or assaulted. That, or they're absolute f*cking filth and need to be buried.

It's also culturally OK to have children working themselves to the point of death in some parts of the world. Is that alright? Child abuse, whether sexual, physical, mental or whatever, IS NOT RIGHT. There's NOTHING backwards about that line of thinking and if that makes me wrong, or a bad person, or a bigot or racist or culturally insensitive in any way, I can honestly say I welcome it.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #20
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Child brides are for one purpose only, to ensure the girl is still a virgin. Because in those countries many views women as property, a property that is worthless if not "intact".

It's quite an extreme to compare it to A cartoon like Negima.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.