The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-17-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

Genesis game recommendations

My dad bought me a Genesis on Friday night which was a birthday present from him. I have about twenty games that my dad got from a friend of his. Some of the games are: B.O.B., Blockout, James Pond 3: Operation Starfish, NHL '94, General Chaos, Super Baseball 2020, Blades of Vengeance, and Haunting Starring Polterguy. I'm curious what games you guys think might interest me. I like fighting games, platformers, RPGs, and action games. I know some good games are Vectorman, Shining Force 2, and Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master. Besides those, what games do y'all recommend? It would help if you played a Genesis before so you're familiar with the games that I have mentioned so you'll at least have been exposed to 'em. Please tell if the games you recommend are fun and have colorful graphics. Thanks in advance, y'all.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Deathknight
Mad Scientist

I'm interested in some good ones myself. Good ones I know of are: Streets of Rage, all of them, Golden Axe and of course the Sonic Trilogy.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Super Moderator

If you're an RPG player, I highly recommend the Shining Force series and the Phantasy Star series.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:37 AM   #4
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Besides the ones you have and the ones that have already been mentioned, I recommend Ristar (platformer), Soldiers of Fortune (action/shooting), Mean Bean Machine (puzzle), Eternal Champions (fighting), the Street Fighter series (fighting), and the Mortal Kombat series (fighting).

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:12 AM   #5
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

I would recomend everything these Sega sages have mentioned, and then add Gunstar Heroes, Knuckles Chaotix (requires that stupid 32X adapter), V.R. Racing (same deal), Comix Zone, Outrun, and other stuff I'll remember later.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:07 AM   #6
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang
Besides the ones you have and the ones that have already been mentioned, I recommend Ristar (platformer), Soldiers of Fortune (action/shooting), Mean Bean Machine (puzzle), Eternal Champions (fighting), the Street Fighter series (fighting), and the Mortal Kombat series (fighting).

yes to all he said.

I also recomend Beyond Oasis, Landstalker (I LOVE this game) Shadow Dancer, the TMNT Hyperstone Heist game (Duh) Valis 3 (The rest were better on TG16) Castlevania Bloodlines, The 2 X-Men games, Y's 3 (Im not sure Books 1 and 2 came out for Genesis) The Road Rash games, Skitchen, General Chaos, Comix Zone, The Spider-Man and Venom games, Toe Jam and Earl, and I'm sure there is more I can't think of.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

You should get the Streets of Rage games for the music alone.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 PM   #8
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

You definitely can't go wrong with the classic Sonic the Hedgehog titles for the Genesis, as they easily qualify as some of the best games for the system. Also, you'd do yourself a favour by checking out Battletoads and Battletoads and Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, Street Fighter II, and TMNT: Hyperstone Heist. Oh, and Road Rash.

'Gotta love Road Rash.
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:21 PM   #9
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

Well, I have to find time to look for a lot of those games on Amazon for the most. Sounds like I'll have my hands full and the games that y'all mentioned will keep me busy for quite a while. I'll be on the look out for TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist, Comix Zone, Road Rash, Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage, Toe Jam and Earl, Golden Axe, Soldiers of Fortune, the Street Fighter series, and the Shining Force series. Has anyone played Zero Wing? I 'd like to know what you guys thought of it cuz I've always wanted to play it, but I'd like some opinions on it.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:05 PM   #10
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Not ONE mention of Kid Chameleon?!

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:28 AM   #11
Deathknight
Mad Scientist

Definitely get Maximum Carnage on SNES rather than the Genesis version, it's much better. Kittie february6, I'm wonder what you meant by the other Valis games being better on TG16. My friend gave me the original Valis for Genesis and I enjoy it but what is TG16 and how is it better?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:32 AM   #12
Jed
Stone Warrior

Stryker's right, Kid Chameleon is an excellent game that's well worth getting. You should pick up Revenge Of Shinobi and Marko's Magic Football aswell as all the other stuff people have mentioned.
I am Frank-Zappa-as-imagined-by-the-editor-of-a-famous-rock-&-roll-magazine. I am an anachronism who makes the ugliest music on the planet. I have no right to call myself a member of the human race. I am tasteless, untalented, pompous, arrogant, cruel, insensitive, vulgar and not a fun guy because I don't use drugs.

Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #13
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

I've never heard of Kid Chameleon, but I'll get it if you guys say it's good. I'm tryin' to get those Shinobi games especially since I'm a ninja. I'll probably get Maximum Carnage for Genesis no matter if the SNES version is better cuz I don't want a SNES. I havent heard of Marko's Magic Football either. I have two of the Madden games and is Marko's Magic like the same deal? That could be a soccer game for all I know; just European football.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #14
Jed
Stone Warrior

Marko's Magic Football is a platformer. The kid has a magic football that he can call to him from where ever it is by pressing the C button. You pretty much use the ball to attack the bad guys through different moves like bicycle kick and heading the ball towards them, and to get through the level by using it to bounce to higher levels or using it to bounce across slime that you wouldn't normally be able to jump across.

I played it just after I posted above cause it got me thinking of it, it's a really fun game and the music's cool too
I am Frank-Zappa-as-imagined-by-the-editor-of-a-famous-rock-&-roll-magazine. I am an anachronism who makes the ugliest music on the planet. I have no right to call myself a member of the human race. I am tasteless, untalented, pompous, arrogant, cruel, insensitive, vulgar and not a fun guy because I don't use drugs.

Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #15
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowabunga14
I'm tryin' to get those Shinobi games especially since I'm a ninja..
ROFL!!!!! Hilarious!
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:45 PM   #16
AquaParade
Banned

I would reccomend Sunset Riders. Very fun, kinda hard to find in my experience. You may remember playing it in an arcade somewhere. Four cowboys to choose from, sidescroller action game. Goodluck!
Also have to re-reccomend all TMNT Games!
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:32 AM   #17
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
I'm surprised no one even MENTIONED the Earthworm Jim games.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #18
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy
I'm surprised no one even MENTIONED the Earthworm Jim games.

True but I normally consider them SNES games for some reason. (Even though I played the 2nd Via Sega Chanel)
Old 04-23-2006, 09:22 AM   #19
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathknight
Definitely get Maximum Carnage on SNES rather than the Genesis version, it's much better. Kittie february6, I'm wonder what you meant by the other Valis games being better on TG16. My friend gave me the original Valis for Genesis and I enjoy it but what is TG16 and how is it better?
The TG16 versions were CD Games. Valis 3 for example, had More levels, a better story (Yes, they changed the story for the genesis version) And AMAZING music.

Valis 2 never was released for Gen.

Valis 1 was COMPLETLEY Different in every way, except for the story. The graphics were better, the play control was better, the levels were better etc. Plus, There were panty shots of Yuko every time she jumped, slid, or fell. Not really "Better" but definetley awesome.

Valis 4 on the SNES wasn't anything like it was on the TG16 either. The graphics were basically the same, but all of the levels were different, they removed 2 playable characters and neutered the story.

I own every Version of every Valis game and have played them all religeously. I would not lead you wrong
Old 04-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #20
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
There's also Contra: Hard Cops. Pretty damn crazy game.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote