The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-22-2021, 12:43 AM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm honestly surprised there's not more discussion about this new one. I'm seeing a lot of pretty polar opposite opinions floating around. Some of my friends think it's awesome, others hated it.

I don't really keep up with this series, I'm just curious what some of the people here who know the series better than me have to say about it. My wife watched it without me, she liked it. But again, like me she doesn't really know the series and didn't see the last one. She mostly just likes stuff that's really graphic and violent and as long as that's there the rest matters less.

Also, this is going around. The director says the next one jumps ahead a few years and deals with the Covid pandemic. And also, "peculiar politics". Oh boy.
https://www.avclub.com/david-gordon-...h-t-1847858139

I'm sure some folks here will have SOME kind of opinion on that.

Personally, knowing that it's gonna be about the pandemic makes me not wanna see that one. I'm sick of it in real life, I don't wanna see it in movies and TV. Even when South Park tackled it, it was only partly funny and mostly depressing. Especially since here we are now, still.

I'unno. Hadn't heard anyone here talk about that part yet.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:07 AM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Whoever is writing and directing this Halloween and the last one (201... they're no bleeding heart liberal or an SJW. If they say they're doing a post-pandemic movie with the next one, I expect them to use it in a good and unexpected way. And I hate like 80% of the Halloween movies that exist beforehand.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:37 AM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

I always think it's funny that after like two decades everybody here still forgets that you can't put an 8 and a ) next to each other. Day One Stuff, guys!

I just don't especially care to see the pandemic fictionalized, any more than I care to see movies about 9/11. You absolutely can go there, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with people liking it. I, personally, just don't get any joy out of it.

I just have no interest whatsoever - less than zero - in any movie or TV show making this whole fiasco a plot point. I'm going to be spending the rest of my life trying to forget this sh*t ever happened, I don't wanna see a movie with people wearing face masks and yelling at each other about vaccines. I don't care who's doing it or what side of the political fence they're on or what point they're making.

I support their right to do so 100%. I fully advocate for creative freedom with no restrictions, always. People can - and should - make whatever products they decide to make, and let the free market economy decide its fate.

To me... it just isn't something I care to see.

Old 10-22-2021, 02:01 AM   #24
newfan
Mad Scientist

I don't feel it to the point that I'd miss the next movie but I also prefer TV/movies to be as though this pandemic wasn't here.

I've seen mixed comments, I know they explore (or start to explore) the more than human aspect to him, did they go much into it?

Last edited by newfan; 10-22-2021 at 02:38 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:15 AM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I just have no interest whatsoever - less than zero - in any movie or TV show making this whole fiasco a plot point.
I do. If it's used intuitively. If it's used as a propaganda piece from the left... I'm beyond turned off. But either way... like it or hate it, it's a thing we've had to endure for a couple of years now.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:33 AM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

I just want this pandemic sh*t to be over (I know it won't be anytime soon), and if/when it is, to never look back.

I also feel like there's probably about 80 other ideas they could go with if they felt like it. Going near the pandemic at all - to me - feels sensationalist and exploitative.

Which, again, doesn't mean they aren't allowed to. I just think, that THEY think, that it's a "clever" idea. And frankly, I really don't think it is clever. I think it's more, "SOMEONE is gonna go ahead and start making money off of movies that exploit the pandemic. We may as well be first." That was my gut reaction.

But then again, I'm a noted cynic, and thus my first reaction to anything is always, "They're doing this for the worst possible reasons," no matter what it is.

Anyways. I know I always snicker a tiny bit whenever anyone says, "The point of movies is Escapism." But in this one rare case, I agree. Even if that movie turns out to be good, watching it will inevitably put me in a bad mood simply due to the subject matter. I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that stuff like Simpsons, Family Guy, etc., haven't gone near this fiasco with a 100-foot pole and are just ignoring it. Maybe there's a way they could, but it's not up my alley and I'm glad they're not. I think they get that most people really don't want this sh*t rubbed in their faces right now, especially since we're still balls-deep in it and will be for some time to come.

For whatever it's worth, my one buddy is a Halloween super-fan, loved this new one. I told him about the plan for the next one and he's like, "No way they'd do that, whoever said that is retarded." And then I sent him the link and he sh*t a brick. I've seen similar chatter.

They MAY be shooting themselves in the foot a bit, here, and for no really great reason. Time will ultimately tell.

Old 10-31-2021, 12:27 AM   #27
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I saw H’18 and Kills over the last few days. I enjoyed both but I’ve honestly never been that into this franchise. I saw H20 in theaters but really don’t remember it and I’m not sure I’ve seen the original.

I’d like to go through all of them to see which way I like better. Sequels or Retcon. Wanna see Rob Zombies too. I’m thinking I’ll prefer the sequel way since I like long continuity.

I agree with Leo656. I would much prefer they do NOT acknowledge the pandemic. It’s way too soon to be making movies about it but aside from that it’s just really going to date the movie. In a bad way.

It’s weird because it crossed my mind while watching and before reading that. They would have never introduced a virus problem if it didn’t happen. It has nothing to with any movie monster’s universe. It’s not clever.

I don’t care if it’s a realistic element. Nobody considers it normal and you should not write it into your movie when it otherwise would not have been there.

I’m aware certain things include it as a story element like 4400. This is an extremely rare case it actually fits since it’s about people that time travel to 2021 and how the world has changed. I saw the first episode.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:47 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I agree with Leo656. I would much prefer they do NOT acknowledge the pandemic. It’s way too soon to be making movies about it but aside from that it’s just really going to date the movie. In a bad way.
I don't think so, if used in a good way. Like, in 10-15 years, imagine movies that could ironically be period pieces set in 2020-2021. Directors looking for specific points in time when crazy things were going on and such.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:44 AM   #29
Wildcat
Foot Elite

That’s different from shoehorning it into an established horror movie/franchise just because the movie happens to be made during that time.

Maybe Halloween Ends won’t make it a big plot point but it’s going to be remembered as...the one in the pandemic. It’s unnecessary.

There’s actually parody movies of the virus. It’s ridiculous they were made but it does not need to become part of popular movie-verses either. Set things under normal circumstances. They don’t need the virus to be scary or cool.

I’m sure combining the 2 things could make for some interesting scenes and situations (pandemic movies have been around) but using this specifically is a huge turn off because it’s happening in real life.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:11 AM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
That’s different from shoehorning it into an established horror movie/franchise just because the movie happens to be made during that time.

Maybe Halloween Ends won’t make it a big plot point but it’s going to be remembered as...the one in the pandemic.
As opposed to "The one where Michael walks around killing people on Halloween"? Because that's a lot of them. That's all of them.

Quote:
It’s unnecessary.
If I had to speculate, it'll be something related to everyone "masking up." Drawing some kind of parallel to people clinging to masks and Michael needing his mask.

Something with masks, in any case. Less so COVID itself.

Quote:
I’m sure combining the 2 things could make for some interesting scenes and situations (pandemic movies have been around) but using this specifically is a huge turn off because it’s happening in real life.
I don't see it. War sucks but if someone does a film in the middle of the Iraq War set in the middle of the Iraq War that isn't somehow insensitive. It's a creative choice. I don't see how denying reality on any stage is beneficial... but I do see a lot of that going on nowadays in certain circles.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 10-31-2021 at 03:22 AM.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:14 AM   #31
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
As opposed to "The one where Michael walks around killing people on Halloween"? Because that's a lot of them. That's all of them.
Then why have the virus upstage him or how the characters interact at all?

Quote:
If I had to speculate, it'll be something related to everyone "masking up." Drawing some kind of parallel to people clinging to masks and Michael needing his mask.

Something with masks, in any case. Less so COVID itself.
I agree so why even include it? It’s really not worthwhile. I still want to see Ends but I think it’s unnecessary.

Quote:
I don't see it. War sucks but if someone does a film in the middle of the Iraq War set in the middle of the Iraq War that isn't somehow insensitive. It's a creative choice. I don't see how denying reality on any stage is beneficial... but I do see a lot of that going on nowadays in certain circles.
I don’t watch war movies but I know some have been made. The difference is a virus outbreak is more of a natural disaster.

COVID19 does not need to be canon to horror or sci-fi universes.

If it happened off screen, completely over and just referenced in passing the way historical events are acknowledged (in movies made years from now, not currently) mayyyybeeee that’s ok. I’m not sure.

Not to use it has a plot element though. Do you really want that?
Old 10-31-2021, 04:24 AM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I get that people don't like a mirror shined up to themselves. But in this particular case... it could be a useful tool. Or lens.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:47 AM   #33
IMJ
Emperor

I just watched Halloween Kills last night. It was solid! Can't wait for the next one, but wondering if this new continuity will give any explanation as to Michael's "Boggieman status".
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:28 AM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

What I fully expect to happen is, as part of the subplot there will be at least one character raging against mask mandates, forced vaccinations, etc., and then that person will get killed off by Myers as one of the "characters you actually cheer when they get killed" since every slasher movie needs one. There'll probably be more to it but that'll be part of it.

The director mentioned how the next one will tackle both the pandemic as well as "strange politics" (or something to that effect). I know Andrew said that the guy, in his estimation, isn't an "SJW Lefty" or anything, and maybe he's not, in his personal life.

The thing is, he specifically mentioned bringing politics into it. Well, we all know that in Present-Day Hollywood, your movie can only touch on "politics" at all if it's in the interest of promoting the politics of the Left. So there's no way whatsoever that he'll be using his movie to speak out AGAINST mask mandates and forced vaccinations. Rather, it will be that in the movie itself, those people who do speak out in dissent will be "the bad guys" and the audience will be encouraged to cheer when they get killed.

There might be other stuff to it, like people being more vulnerable to being slaughtered since they're all hunkered down together at home, or the town having difficulty because of all the businesses being forced to shut down, and so forth. But the biggest part of it will undoubtedly be, at least one character of a more conservative mindset WILL be killed off so the more liberal audience members can celebrate it cathartically.

And we know this because otherwise, the director would not be allowed to bring "politics" into it at all. You can't make a movie that touches on "politics" in any way, unless "touching on politics" means "finger-wagging conservatives." That's an open and provable fact.

So do I want to see that? No, I don't. Do they have the right to do it? Yes, they do. But I probably won't see the movie.

Anybody here should know I'm not a hypersensitive. And I support their right to make whatever creative choices they see fit. But this is a dumb choice, in my humble opinion, it's gonna date the movie badly, it needlessly reminds me and other people of things they'd rather forget, and I'd simply prefer that movies like this try and stay away from anything political, that's not what they're about.

Like, I promise you, when things are more or less back to some reasonable semblance of "normal", I'm not gonna be spending much time reminiscing about 2020 or 2021; for the rest of my life, those are gonna be "dark spots" in my memory, on purpose. There is zero chance, when I'm 50, I'm going to want to willingly watch a movie, TV show, anything, that goes out of its way to remind people about All This Sh*t. Because I'm not going to want to remember it. Therefore, if by some chance I ever do see the next one, it'll be once, just for the sake of having seen it, and never again.

You have to figure that I'm not the only one who feels like that. That alone, in theory, hurts the movie's potential for having a long tail since there are undoubtedly going to be a lot of people besides myself who will be of the mindset, "I don't wanna think about pandemic sh*t anymore."

Which makes it a very, very questionable creative choice. "Let's potentially alienate large chunks of our audience who are sick of Pandemic Sh*t altogether, just so we can finger-wag people who don't wanna get the shot"? Dumb. I'm sorry, that's dumb.

And that IS going to be the point, wait and see. Otherwise they wouldn't even be allowed to bring it up at all.

One of my good buddies is a HUGE Halloween fan, like devoutly, AND, by chance, he's a huge Lefty (because I'm perfectly capable of maintaining friendships with people with whom I strongly disagree politically; that's called "being an adult"). And even HE is like, "If they go there, I probably won't see it. Or I might, but I really REALLY wish they wouldn't go there." Because, like me, he just wants this sh*t to be over with and we don't care to see it fictionalized needlessly for the sake of "entertainment". What the F*CK is "entertaining" about all of this nonsense?

That's him, and that's me. There are others who feel the same. Lots and lots and lots of them.

We'll see what they actually do. But I feel like it's needlessly provocative and there's no GOOD reason for it. "Reasons", yeah, maybe. GOOD reasons? Zero.

Last edited by Leo656; 10-31-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:19 AM   #35
IMJ
Emperor

I think at least one leftist fool wrote an article somewhere that this latest flick was "anti gay" because Michael kills two gay guys in their home.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:28 AM   #36
Leo656
The Franchise

I just remember the one where the firefighters were crying because Michael kills firefighters in the new one.

Like, he's an equal-opportunity offender, man. Of course he'd kill firefighters. Or gay people. Or black people. Or white people. Or mimes. He doesn't care! He just likes killin'. If anything, that should make him LESS offensive... I mean, as far as mass-murderers go.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:54 AM   #37
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I just remember the one where the firefighters were crying because Michael kills firefighters in the new one.

Like, he's an equal-opportunity offender, man. Of course he'd kill firefighters. Or gay people. Or black people. Or white people. Or mimes. He doesn't care! He just likes killin'. If anything, that should make him LESS offensive... I mean, as far as mass-murderers go.
Exactly. It's a movie about an evil murderer arguably from hell.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:59 PM   #38
Sumac
Banned

So, even serial killers should be tolerant somehow?

Are those retards think with their asses?
Do hey even THINK in the first place?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:14 PM   #39
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
So, even serial killers should be tolerant somehow?

Are those retards think with their asses?
Do hey even THINK in the first place?
More and more I'm convinced that there are two kinds of people who fall under the blanket of modern "SJW". It's basically the self-centered virtue signalers and the sheep who react under them.

The first kind is the dip$#!( who writes an article to on-board with the liberal or journalistic crowd. It's written to be bombastic and as agitating as possible while presenting their elitist, virtue-laden thoughts on an SJW topic.

The second kind are the life-angry and directionless bottom-feeders (we saw these people out on the streets at the peak of the rioting and we had them here on the forums for a while - Voltron, a few random posters whose usernames I can't even remember and of course the pairing of opinionated women here with health problems presumably brought on by lifestyle choices). They click on the articles and get fired up. These are the people in the Halloween movie who screamed "Evil Dies Tonight!" and went after the mental patient. It's the same part of society that elites have manipulated forever.

You can assign this pattern to anything. CNN and it's viewers (now diminished significantly). You can even assign this pattern to the far right religious nuts. But the difference, as always, is that the left half of the spectrum is comprised almost entirely of what I've described whereas the center and the right are comprised of it only maybe 10%.

Last edited by IMJ; 10-31-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:40 PM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I think at least one leftist fool wrote an article somewhere that this latest flick was "anti gay" because Michael kills two gay guys in their home.
LGBTQ: "We demand equal rights in all things, everywhere always! Except... movies and fiction, where we are not allowed to be harmed, ever!"