The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #21
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Darkness on the Edge of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
Was the World Trade Center seen in the 4kids cartoon? I think I remember someone told me the twin towers were around in early season 1. If so maybe Things Change did take place in 2001 after all.
It's seen in "Darkness on the Edge of Town".

See

http://www.ninjapizza.net/2011/09/te...-new-york.html
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #22
Loudo
Thug

Cool find, thanks. That provides my hypothesis with more evidence.
Loudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #23
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudo View Post
Cool find, thanks. That provides my hypothesis with more evidence.
It was probably animated before the terrorist incidents.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #24
Loudo
Thug

It probably was. But really, writing a timeline is something we fans do by trying to be coherent with what the show presents. It's pretty clear that the writers themselves didn't care about giving the episodes a precise date.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #25
Shredded
Foot Soldier

woah, neat Time-line!

wait, does that mean the turtles are actually all 20 years old by the series end?

Falls advertisment, they are not "Teenage" mutant ninja turtles for the last two seasons! all though that they are older would explain much of their personalities.. hmm.
Shredded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #26
ToTheNines
[sic]

Interesting work Loudo. I'll have to add some of your pre-seaon 1 events to my timeline. I hadn't thought about the Atlantis thing.

For Hamato Yoshi's Battle Nexus victory... did you just pick a year in between his leaving Japan and his death? Or was there concrete evidence for 1985?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #27
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredded View Post
woah, neat Time-line!

wait, does that mean the turtles are actually all 20 years old by the series end?

Falls advertisment, they are not "Teenage" mutant ninja turtles for the last two seasons! all though that they are older would explain much of their personalities.. hmm.
It's still a title that works even some years later (but not too many years later).
Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #28
Loudo
Thug

Quote:
Well, there's a precedent: Volume 4.

Sometimes I wish the franchise was simply called "Ninja Turtles" as it is in many translations, to let the Turtles more free to grow and mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
For Hamato Yoshi's Battle Nexus victory... did you just pick a year in between his leaving Japan and his death? Or was there concrete evidence for 1985?
This was my reasoning:
1) We know the tournament is held every three years ("Grudge Match"). I placed "The Big Brawl" in 2003 (for the reasons given above), so that means there was a tournament in 1982, 1985, 1988, etc.
2) I'm assuming Splinter won the tournament in 2000, because it's unlikely he went to the Battle Nexus, leaving the Turtles alone for days, when they were too young.
3) In "The Big Brawl, Part 1" it is said that Splinter entered the tournament "not long" after Hamato Yoshi's victory.
4) Yoshi died in 1986 (15 years before "Things Change").

Conclusion: 1985 is the nearest possible year to Splinter's victory. Yoshi could maybe have won before that year, but that would make the "not long" gap quite long.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
ToTheNines
[sic]

Good thinking. And how did you figure the founding year of TCRI?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #30
Loudo
Thug

In "The Search for Splinter, Part 1" April does a quick Internet research about T.C.R.I. and she reports it's a company that's been around for the past 25 years.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #31
Overlord

Jephael

Jephael has an own timeline on his fansite.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #32
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
In "The Search for Splinter, Part 1" April does a quick Internet research about T.C.R.I. and she reports it's a company that's been around for the past 25 years.
Damn dude, very astute. I might have never picked up on that.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
Overlord

Quote:
Comparing them would be interesting.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #34
Loudo
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Jephael has an own timeline on his fansite.
I just read it quickly, but I don't see any glaring difference with ToTheNines's timeline.

Quote:
Thanks, glad to help.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #35
Shredded
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Well, there's a precedent: Volume 4.

Sometimes I wish the franchise was simply called "Ninja Turtles" as it is in many translations, to let the Turtles more free to grow and mature.

Considering the turtles are supposed to be around thirty in the fourth volume of the Mirage comics, that is a flawed title yeah..

but honestly, it's only nit-picking fans like us that would even be pointing it out.

And I am just saying, you effectively stop being a teenager when you turn twenty. Because the "Teen." does come from the end of the number. "Thirt'teen' fourth'teen' fifth'teen'." you get the picture, it ends with nineteen, and after that, you aint teenager no more, so the turtles barely comes out of this one if we are going to be nitpicky about it.

But in the continuation of this show, I think the turtles works kind of like most comic book superheroes and characters, they just don't age and we don't question it.

I mean heck, Jimmy Olson is still a new photographer in training after fourty years, so we should we question this? it's just comic book and cartoon logic, the characters only ever age if the show or comic makes it that way and clearly points to a time-line itself! like Kim Possible where each season is a different school year, then there is phineas and ferb where the same summer vacation just seems to last for-ever X)
Old 02-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #36
Loudo
Thug

I don't agree that the Turtles don't age. If you forget about the last two seasons, I do feel that the Turtles mature during the series.

Take Leo for example. In the first episodes, he was really Splinter's "pet". He was always against leaving the sewers/lair because Splinter forbid it, he was worried that "Splinter is going to kill us", etc. Then during the City at War arc, he starts openly to disobey Splinter (Splinter asks Leo to trust him and not to get involved with the war, but Leo walks away from him), till the climax when Leo wounds Splinter. After his training with the Ancient One, he comes back pacified but firmly the leader of the family (when Donatello turns into a monster, it's him who decides what to do, in spite of the fact that Splinter is right there in the same room).

So, during the series you see Leo the responsible and dependent child, then adolescent Leo who challenges the father figure, and in the end adult Leo who respects his father but is completely independent.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #37
Shredded
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I don't agree that the Turtles don't age. If you forget about the last two seasons, I do feel that the Turtles mature during the series.

Take Leo for example. In the first episodes, he was really Splinter's "pet". He was always against leaving the sewers/lair because Splinter forbid it, he was worried that "Splinter is going to kill us", etc. Then during the City at War arc, he starts openly to disobey Splinter (Splinter asks Leo to trust him and not to get involved with the war, but Leo walks away from him), till the climax when Leo wounds Splinter. After his training with the Ancient One, he comes back pacified but firmly the leader of the family (when Donatello turns into a monster, it's him who decides what to do, in spite of the fact that Splinter is right there in the same room).

So, during the series you see Leo the responsible and dependent child, then adolescent Leo who challenges the father figure, and in the end adult Leo who respects his father but is completely independent.
I'm not denying that there is character development across the board and that the status quoe changes.

I am just saying the show doesn't specify any time line itself for a reason, we are not supposed to really question how much time has gone by or how much the turtles have aged, we are just supposed to accept them as teenagers all the way through.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #38
ToTheNines
[sic]

Don't be so small minded.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #39
Loudo
Thug

Ok, but my point was more precise than that. I'm not simply saying that "there is character development".
I'm saying that, in Leonardo's case in particular, there's that precise character development that you'd expect from a kid becoming an adolescent and then an adult.
To me, it makes more sense imagining Leo as a 15 years-old boy at the beginning of the show and as a 20 years-old turtle at the end, because I can see his growth, his becoming an adult during the series. I wouldn't find an eternal 15 years-old Leo very coherent with what the show presents us with.

That's my point. Now if you say "we are not supposed to really question how much time has gone by", then I definitely agree, but that's not because the turtles aren't supposed to age. That's simply because giving us precise dates would require much more extra work for the writers (they have to pay attention not to contradict themselves). Moreover, this way it is easier for them to add new elements not planned in advance.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I mean heck, Jimmy Olson is still a new photographer in training after fourty years, so we should we question this?
Because time moves a lot slower in DC/Marvel books. And it isn't inordinately difficult to figure out how.

For example, you take a year's worth of just about any DC/Marvel book -- 12 issues of it -- and sit down and read them. Sure, it took a year for them to all come out, but how much in-story time actually passes in between issues, particularly when likely over half of them end up being "To Be Continued" directly into the next issue?

I'd say the average amount of time for the average DC/Marvel book over the course of a year would be about... two weeks. Maybe. If that.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote