The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-30-2021, 11:44 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The Expendables IV

Quote:
Action stars never say die, they just reload.

Lionsgate and Millennium Media are bringing back their gun-toting, testosterone-throbbing action franchise The Expendables for another go-around.

Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture and Sylvester Stallone, who have appeared in the previous three installments, are set to reprise their roles for what will be the fourth movie.

Joining the quartet are Curtis “50” Jackson, Megan Fox and Tony Jaa for a feature to be directed by stuntman-turned-helmer Scott Waugh (Need for Speed), with production to begin October.

Spenser Cohen wrote the script with revisions by Max Adams and John Joseph Connolly. Details are being kept in the lockbox but it once again will focus on a group of veteran mercenaries. And while the initial movies that were released in the early 2010s had Stallone as the focal point, sources say in this outing Statham will be the one with the biggest gun. Fox is the female lead.

Statham is also producing along with Kevin King Templeton as well as Millennium’s Les Weldon, Yariv Lerner, Jeffrey Greenstein and Jonathan Yunger.

“It’s so much fun to bring these stars together for a no-holds-barred action film,” said Jason Constantine, president of acquisitions and co-productions for the Lionsgate Motion Picture Group, in a statement. “The new film will raise the stakes and be the biggest, most badass adventure yet.”

“Popcorn entertainment is guaranteed,” said Millennium president, Jeffrey Greenstein, noting that the new additions to the roll call were meant to “keep it fresh and fun.”

Stallone directed the first movie and wrote the script with David Callaham, now one of the big action scribes in the comic book realm, focusing on characters with names such as Lee Christmas (Statham), Gunner Jensen (Lundgren) and Toll Road (Couture). The initial movie, released in 2010, gathered up the biggest names in action movies from the 1980s — Stallone, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger –—and paired them with wrestling stars, international martial arts stars and newer action stars. It was a formula that worked, with the three movies (the others hit theaters in 2012 and 2014) generating more than $829 million worldwide. A sequel had been in the works since the mid-2010s but hard targets proved to be elusive, with changing writers and directors.

Executive producing for Millennium are Avi Lerner, Boaz Davidson and Trevor Short with Christa Campbell and Lati Grobman on behalf of Campbell Grobman Films. Co-producing is Abby Mills.

Eda Kowan and Jonah Leach are overseeing the film for Lionsgate.

Statham has appeared in all three Expendables outings and is also a player in the Fast and Furious franchise. He recently starred in action thriller Wrath of Man and is due to reteam with director Guy Ritchie for an untitled thriller. He is repped by Patrick Knapp of GGSSC.

Stallone, repped by CAA, can currently be heard as the voice of scene-stealing DC character King Shark in The Suicide Squad and next has superhero thriller Samaritan for MGM.

Lundgren is shooting Aquaman 2, reprising his role as Atlantis’ King Nereus, and will be heard in the upcoming Minions: The Rise of Gru. He is repped by Gersh, Wonder Street and Bloom Hergott.

Couture, also repped by Gersh as well as Xtreme Couture Management, has several action flicks in post, including one called Blowback.

As for the newcomers, Jackson is one of the big names in the roster Lionsgate’s division of Starz, where he and his G-Unit Film & Television are one of the executive producers of the network’s top show, Power, and its many spinoffs. The actor-turned-TV mogul also has hit For Life on ABC and is developing a feature horror slate with Eli Roth. Jackson is repped by APA and attorneys Eric Feig and Stephen Savva.

Fox, a recognizable worldwide figure whose films have grossed more than $1 billion, recently starred in thriller Till Death, which proved to be a hit on iTunes, and next stars in Netflix thriller Night Teeth as well as indie Big Gold Brick opposite Andy Garcia and Oscar Isaac.

International martial arts master Jaa recently starred with Mila Jovovich in Monster Hunter as well as the Chinese blockbuster, Detective Chinatown 3. He is repped by Gersh, manager Michael Selby, Wonder Street and Brecheen Feldman.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...st-1235004992/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The first one took itself too seriously. The second one was OK, but tacked on the R-rating in post production, when they went back and added in digital blood. The third one wasn't even R-rated. R-rated from jump or don't bother with part 4.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:31 PM   #3
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

These are fun movies even if they’re far from perfect, but the one thing all of them got completely wrong was their horrible misuse of their respective villains! Both Van Damme and Gibson especially were wasted opportunities!
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:00 PM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

I forgot there was even a Part III.

First one was okay.

This seems mostly like "Let's get everybody together for One Last Round before everybody's too old and it becomes impossible to suspend any disbelief."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:08 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I forgot there was even a Part III.

First one was okay.

This seems mostly like "Let's get everybody together for One Last Round before everybody's too old and it becomes impossible to suspend any disbelief."
Unless they do something awful like a passing of the torch, defeating the entire premise of the series.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:11 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Unless they do something awful like a passing of the torch, defeating the entire premise of the series.
Yeah, that's all we'd f*cking need. Sly and Arnold getting bailed out by Vin Diesel, John Cena and The Rock.

I might just give up on movies altogether at that point. I'm like halfway there already, anyways.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:16 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Vin Diesel and The Rock were supposed to be the new Arnold and Stallone like 20 years ago. Never really happened, and now they're too old.

But I could see them debating about making like Statham in charge of a bunch of new guys, like 50 Cent and so on.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:14 AM   #8
Sumac
Banned

I think it is more tied to the classic action movie (as understood in 80s and early 90s) genre dying out.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:43 AM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

I love these movies. Mindless fun. The third one suffered in theaters because at the time I think it was the most pirated movie of all-time pre-release.

I'm glad they are making another one. But, like Indiana Jones 5, I just hope it's not a $#!( show of old men. "The Irishman" really put the stamp on that one for me.....

Quote:
Vin Diesel and The Rock were supposed to be the new Arnold and Stallone like 20 years ago. Never really happened, and now they're too old.

But I could see them debating about making like Statham in charge of a bunch of new guys, like 50 Cent and so on.
The Rock made some solid "tough guy flicks". "Faster" was awesome....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:26 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
The Rock made some solid "tough guy flicks". "Faster" was awesome....
Faster was awesome. But nobody saw it.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:21 AM   #11
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Even Diesel and The Rock can't bring the 80s back.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:43 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Even Diesel and The Rock can't bring the 80s back.
I could make an argument that they never really tried to.

The Rock came in the door with like two or three completely toothless PG-13 movies, then wanted to cut into comedies before he ever even became a big R action star like Arnold or Stallone. And then he just sort of hovered around comedy/comedic action stuff and still is (whether it's Jungle Cruise, San Andreas, Jumanji, etc., he's just playing himself, or a version of his jokey wrestler self). That's not the way to go about it. Imagine if Arnold began his career in the 80s with like a watered down PG-13 "Raw Deal," then leapt straight into "Junior." His career would have floundered. Arnold was smart... he cultivated his image and chose the right actioners until he was that guy. Then, and only then, did he branch out into comedic stuff, testing out his chops and playing with audience expectation of his image.

Vin Diesel came in the door with Fast & Furious and Pitch Black. Both spawned franchises. But Diesel was never a larger than life personality, not a big bodybuilder, and didn't have much personality or charm. Just ego, really. So he didn't really go anywhere surprising.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:47 PM   #13
sdp
Megan Fox = April

80s action movies will never come back, their equivalent is superhero movies and those will die as well for the next trend, that is if theaters survive
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:50 PM   #14
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Faster was awesome. But nobody saw it.
His size in that one was ridiculous. I remember when he first comes out the cell on release day. I described his size to a buddy of mine by saying that "dude he had to turn sideways to get through the cell door - he's like 'three head's wide". We still laugh our asses off about that - 'three heads wide' like you could fit three full necks with heads on his body in that shot, lmao!

The movie itself was really well done. I liked the Rundown when it first came out too. But I don't ever go back to watch it again.

I remember sometime back he did an interview about doing an Expendables flick. He said he'd do it, but that he'd want to be the guy who hunted the Expendables, IIRC. I also remember some talk some years back about an "Expenda-belles" spinoff with people like Milla Jovovich, but to this day I don't know if that was just pop culture fandom talking or a seriously considered thing....
Old 08-31-2021, 01:46 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
His size in that one was ridiculous. I remember when he first comes out the cell on release day. I described his size to a buddy of mine by saying that "dude he had to turn sideways to get through the cell door - he's like 'three head's wide". We still laugh our asses off about that - 'three heads wide' like you could fit three full necks with heads on his body in that shot, lmao!

The movie itself was really well done. I liked the Rundown when it first came out too. But I don't ever go back to watch it again.
Compared to, like... "Commando" or "Predator," you know?

But "Faster" was great. Like a "Samoan John Wick," where he's like this vengeful walking urban legend. There was some very puzzling marketing there. I never even saw it in the theater, just afterward (most people seemed to think it was some kind of wannabe Fast & Furious movie, when it was anything but).

Quote:
I also remember some talk some years back about an "Expenda-belles" spinoff with people like Milla Jovovich, but to this day I don't know if that was just pop culture fandom talking or a seriously considered thing....
I've heard Stallone talk about the Expendabelles so that was definitely real. But then I think a bunch of "grrl power!" type movies came out and failed hard right about when they were sniffing around for financiers on it... so there suddenly wasn't a huge push to put a bunch of washed up ones in the same movie together, Expendables 1-3 or not (plus 3 did BAD... only 39 million domestically).

Sandra Bullock, Cynthia Rothrock, Jovovich, Weaver, maybe Kathleen Turner, etc.... there could have been something there, sure.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:16 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm glad that never happened. While men can age gracefully and look distinguished as they get old, all those women basically became old hags. Nobody is going to get interested watching a 60 year old grandma spout one-liners and shoot with a gun. This isn't Terminator: Dark Fate.

40 is already over the hill in hollywood, let alone 60+
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:33 PM   #17
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
But "Faster" was great. Like a "Samoan John Wick," where he's like this vengeful walking urban legend. There was some very puzzling marketing there. I never even saw it in the theater, just afterward (most people seemed to think it was some kind of wannabe Fast & Furious movie, when it was anything but).
Yessssss, yes and yes.

Quote:
plus 3 did BAD... only 39 million domestically).
A DVD quality copy leaked a week before it's release IIRC, and it became the most pirated movie ever up until that point. Ironic, because in some ways if that could've translated into money, it would've been incredibly successful.

Stream of consciousness here from Mel Gibson in that one, but did you ever see "Get the Gringo"? That was a good flick....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm glad that never happened. While men can age gracefully and look distinguished as they get old, all those women basically became old hags. Nobody is going to get interested watching a 60 year old grandma spout one-liners and shoot with a gun. This isn't Terminator: Dark Fate.

40 is already over the hill in hollywood, let alone 60+

I remember when Galaxy Quest came out and I couldn't believe how hot Sigourney Weaver looked in that, given I hadn't seen her in some time on film. And then Avatar came out and I felt like she aged 25 years between that and Galaxy Quest. She's an awesome actress though.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:36 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's a well known fact female actress age much faster than men. I don't know why that is, especially when you realize all these people are millionaires and can afford plastic surgery or cosmetics to make themselves look much younger than regular people can.

Look at any female actress in their prime in old movies and tv shows and then look at what they look like now. I'd say less than 10% have aged well.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:44 PM   #19
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's a well known fact female actress age much faster than men. I don't know why that is, especially when you realize all these people are millionaires and can afford plastic surgery or cosmetics to make themselves look much younger than regular people can.

Look at any female actress in their prime in old movies and tv shows and then look at what they look like now. I'd say less than 10% have aged well.
Have you ever heard the term "Skinny fat"? It's basically used to describe someone who maybe looks like they are in great shape, but on the inside their organs are all fatty and basically falling apart under what looks like a well-kept body. That state of being is also akin to anti-aging and plastic surgery currently. It's a smoke-screen that some people are in for and many don't want any part of.

We need "chemicals" to truly reverse aging. Biological chemicals rather than saws, saline and silicone inserts....