The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Gameplay time tracking in systems/platforms

Nowadays people talk about how many hours they've spent on a particular game more than ever, since more systems and games began keeping track of your gameplay time.

I really loved the 3DS Activity Log app. It was so detailed. It would tell you not just the total amount of time you spent on each software, but also the first time you first played it, how many times you opened it and it would log every single day you'd play it. You can go check the calendar by year, month, week or even by day and you'll be able to know what games you've played on, let's say, February 8 2015 and how much time you spent on each game.

Sadly the Switch didn't bring the Activity Log back. The data isn't anywhere near as precise. And it doesn't show every single game in a drop down list like the 3DS does. I've sunk more than 100 hours in the FFX HD remake, but it doesn't show on my activity anymore because I haven't played that game for nearly a year now.

The closest thing the Switch has to the 3DS Activity Log is the parental control app, but it's still not as precise.

Steam isn't as detailed as the 3ds either, but still will tell you how many hours you've spent on each game and show you the full list. So I like their system too.

This might seem like nitpicking, but I do think the 3DS Activity Log was perfect and it should have become the standard for every gaming system. What sense did it make for Nintendo to take a step back on this with a Switch?

Thoughts?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I've never really cared about the timer. I love losing track of time in a great game.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:49 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I've never really cared about the timer. I love losing track of time in a great game.
I never thought about it back in the day either. I believe the first game I've ever played that kept track of gameplay time was Pokémon Red. And then it was SSB Melee. But it still wasn't standard at the time.

But now that a lot of different games and platforms/systems track time one way or the other, I've gotten used to it lmao
Old 03-14-2021, 10:58 PM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm creeping up on around 120-something hours in "Oblivion" already. I don't know if I need every single game slapping me in the face with that kinda thing.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:48 AM   #5
raph27
Mad Scientist

Activity Log is the biggest Nintendo feature I miss from the 3DS/Wii U era. I loved looking at all my statistics. I heard in Japan they have a mobile My Nintendo app that accomplishes a similar purpose, but I don't know why it hasn't come over here or a dedicated function on Switch.

I know that they keep all this data because of the yearly recaps they send out via email (similar to Spotify Rewind), so they might as well let us access our own info as well.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:07 PM   #6
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I never understood that. Seems that focusing on how many hours it takes to complete or play through a game would ruin the fun of it. I'm not sure if I feel this way because I grew up with the 8-bit and 16-bit era when young, where exploration and actual gameplay was the most relevant thing, not how many hours are clocked it, even if there were some games that did include that, like the Pokemon games. Thinking back to Ocarina of Time for the N64, I think it says that the amount of time it should take to complete it is 8 hours. I know I had more than that because I actually explored, wandered, experimented, etc. and I feel this is how the game was meant to be approached, not how many hours you clock in.

IMO, unless you're getting some kind of bonus or reward or is an actual part of the game mechanic, I feel that it's unnecessary and will never understand people's obsession with it. What happened to just playing the game?
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I love statistics so I like to have all the data about the time I spend playing. I think women should also come with that feature
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:19 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I never understood that. Seems that focusing on how many hours it takes to complete or play through a game would ruin the fun of it. I'm not sure if I feel this way because I grew up with the 8-bit and 16-bit era when young, where exploration and actual gameplay was the most relevant thing, not how many hours are clocked it, even if there were some games that did include that, like the Pokemon games. Thinking back to Ocarina of Time for the N64, I think it says that the amount of time it should take to complete it is 8 hours. I know I had more than that because I actually explored, wandered, experimented, etc. and I feel this is how the game was meant to be approached, not how many hours you clock in.

IMO, unless you're getting some kind of bonus or reward or is an actual part of the game mechanic, I feel that it's unnecessary and will never understand people's obsession with it. What happened to just playing the game?
I just really like statistics.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I just really like statistics.
I do too, but when it comes to gaming all putting the playtimer in did for me was make me realize how much life I had traded in exchange for game time, usually alone in the bedroom or something. I mean it doesn't seem like a big deal until you look at it one day and have the epiphany that when you convert those hours that they literally become weeks and months of your life by aggregate and at times big chunks at a time.

I have a handful of PS4 games I took the plunge on, but the PS3 was my last real and earnest period of gaming. Not frowning on gaming as a hobby by any means, but there is something to be said for the perspective and epiphany for those willing to take it in.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote