The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't understand why Veitch cares so much. He literally wrote these comics 20 years ago, why can't he just like Viacom have the rights? Especially if they're willing to pay him to reprint them the first time around?

I would understand if we were in the 90's and his comics were relatively recent, but we're in 2014 practically....why does this still matter?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't understand why Veitch cares so much. He literally wrote these comics 20 years ago, why can't he just like Viacom have the rights? Especially if they're willing to pay him to reprint them the first time around?

I would understand if we were in the 90's and his comics were relatively recent, but we're in 2014 practically....why does this still matter?
Because it's his business, not yours, mine or anybody else's.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
(where do these stories get started?) We'd be delighted to pay royalities— we've offered to do so. The issue is ownership of the stories, which is a matter between Veitch and Viacom, which we don't have any say over.
Are we to infer that the only way Viacom will allow any of its licensors (IDW) to reprint the Veitch stories is if Veitch agrees to sign a new agreement that waives all rights and claims to the material? I don't claim to be super knowledgeable in such matters but I have to wonder... why?

I mean, we're just talking about a couple of stories here. Would it kill Viacom to have a couple of stories reprinted in the here and now with a few supporting characters they don't own? What would be the worry? That after republication they might find and spark new popularity/fan demand and Viacom would have to kowtow to Veitch to do anything new with his characters in order to ride the wave? If not that, then what?

There's gotta be a way to broker something.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-09-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #24
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Turtle View Post
What else does this collect exactly?
Raphael (microseries) #1
“Complete Carnage an’ Radical”
“You Had To Be There”
“Fun With Guns”
“49th Street Stompers”
TMNT (Vol. 1) #14
TMNT (Vol. 1) #33
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I think this edition might have the bonus art gallery from the 2nd Heavy Metal edition, too? (the one with all the variant covers)

I have the first edition which only included the comics, personally.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
Cipher
Foot Elite

You know what would be great?

A volume featuring all of the "future" Mirage stories ("Old Times," the Tales reprint frontispieces, Tales Vol. 2 #13, 14, 40, 41, 45, 55, 69, and a few other shorts).

Not that I'm not more anxious to get all of the material out there first, but some thematic collections like that would really make me happy.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
You know what would be great?

A volume featuring all of the "future" Mirage stories ("Old Times," the Tales reprint frontispieces, Tales Vol. 2 #13, 14, 40, 41, 45, 55, 69, and a few other shorts).

Not that I'm not more anxious to get all of the material out there first, but some thematic collections like that would really make me happy.
That would be a very cool, very realistic approach to collecting that stuff, I think. The Puma Blues issue with Raph, Old Times, the Tales V2 treasury edition epilogue, and the issues you suggest. I don't think the frontispieces would make much sense out of context, though.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #28
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That would be a very cool, very realistic approach to collecting that stuff, I think. The Puma Blues issue with Raph, Old Times, the Tales V2 treasury edition epilogue, and the issues you suggest. I don't think the frontispieces would make much sense out of context, though.
They're still a hell of an addition to the material, though. Even as a "bonus," I hate to think of them never being reprinted. And the epilogue almost doesn't work without them.

Quote:
They're collecting the Tales issues in order they came out, they'll probably continue that way. After they collected Tales #1-7 they went right on to Tales #1-4 of the second volume.

It's too bad they skipped, "Spinal Tapped" so the only way to get that is the 2007 Tales collection.
Sure, and they'll get to them all eventually.

The appeal, though, in having themed volumes for some of the more interesting material (other than the pleasure of reading them grouped together), is that it gives new readers something to look toward other than four issues in order of varying quality.

I really wish they'd do the same with "Return to New York" and "Shades of Grey/City at War" in a more affordable format as well. You know, like, how you can just walk into a store and pick up any major Batman story or a best-of collection in a single volume? I'd love to be able to point someone to a book like that and say, "This is why I enjoy this series."

How good would a Leonardo-centric, "Blind Faith" + "Scars" + "Loops" collection be? So good I would point people toward it like crazy.

Last edited by Cipher; 12-09-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

They're collecting the Tales issues in order they came out, they'll probably continue that way. After they collected Tales #1-7 they went right on to Tales #1-4 of the second volume.

It's too bad they skipped, "Spinal Tapped" so the only way to get that is the 2007 Tales collection.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Are we to infer that the only way Viacom will allow any of its licensors (IDW) to reprint the Veitch stories is if Veitch agrees to sign a new agreement that waives all rights and claims to the material? I don't claim to be super knowledgeable in such matters but I have to wonder... why?

I mean, we're just talking about a couple of stories here. Would it kill Viacom to have a couple of stories reprinted in the here and now with a few supporting characters they don't own? What would be the worry? That they might find and spark new popularity/fan demand and Viacom would have to kowtow to Veitch to do anything new with his characters?

My sentiments exactly. Why not let Veitch keep the rights to Bloodsucker, Old Man River, etc.? Though the Casey Jones mini-series is trickier, since it was collaboration between Veitch and Eastman.

I actually told Brad Fuller (one of the producers at Platinum Dunes) about this whole issue on Tweeter. I guess we'll see if that ever pans out.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #31
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Oh yeah there's a way, Veitch isn't opposed to them being reprinted, but if Nick's "we much own every aspect of everything" policy is a strict one I don't see it ever happening.

Look at it from Viacom's point of view. Why broker a deal to print the book once when they can just buy all of the rights to the story, add it to the vault, and not have to worry about this again 10-15 years down the road when another licensee wants to print the stories?

I'm sure they are not looking to use it for a movie or to even to leverage the secondary characters, they just want everything under the same umbrella so it doesn't turn into a licensing nightmare down the line.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #32
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

^^^^^^^^ It sucks but it makes sense. Well put.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by liugeaux View Post
I'm sure they are not looking to use it for a movie or to even to leverage the secondary characters, they just want everything under the same umbrella so it doesn't turn into a licensing nightmare down the line.
Which makes a lot of sense. Its the same reason Nick bought the 4kids cartoon for $10 million so they could own everything. I'm willing to bet they tried to buy the original cartoon too but Lionsgate won't give up the rights.

With Lionsgate its not a big deal since the entire original cartoon was released on DVD, (and I honestly doubt Nick would bother with blu-ray sets for it), but I really wish they could own all the comics.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #34
AquaParade
Banned

I would love to buy more hardcover collections from IDW.

Really bummed to hear that Mirage volume 2 isn't getting the Ultimate treatment, but I'm sure the sales have dipped a bit since volume 1 of the Ultimate Collection's, so it makes sense. Still, imagine volume 2 in the over-sized format with annotations from Lawson. I'd be up to see it in black and white, recolored, whatever. It'd be a truly beautiful book.

Edit!: Oh god! Imagine the new beautiful cover Lawson could do for it! It hurts!
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'd laugh if IDW did re-color Volume 2, because there's like...no point. The only reason they colored the trades in the first place is because black and white won't sell to the casual buyer. They took a gamble with the Ultimate Collections and even then they released Colored Classics trades.

Still its great to see almost all of Volume 1 completed. Classics #7 actually just came out today, the one with #45-47.

Does anyone know how they colored Chote? Is he brown/tan?
Old 12-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #36
Vegeta
Hench Mutant

I have to say I am most excitied about a reprinting of volume 3. I hope you guys can keep those in black and white and I love the art in those the way they are, but they are a bit pricey to go back and buy. Having them in a nice b&w collection would be a day 1 purchase for me like the ultimate collections have been.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #37
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Does anyone know how they colored Chote? Is he brown/tan?
He's brown/tan, as in the original covers.

The coloring in this volume is pretty good all the way through. They used a darker palette for "Leatherhead, Too" than I would have imagined, but the whole book looks pretty nice. "Masks" looks great.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's amazing to see almost all of Volume 1 completed. I really hope the Soul's Winter trade is colored well when it comes next year. Of course I'd prefer it being released in black and white to capture the somber feel of those issues, but I doubt they would do that.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #39
DK2
Stone Warrior

I think the whole "future stories" stuff would be great in a solo collection(s). I think they shouldn't forget the Donatello story "Old Times" from the Plastron Cafe anthology series Mirage did. That was a future story wasn't it?
Yeah the Rick Veitch stuff needs to be resolved. Like doesn't he want to make some money off reprint royalties? Can't they structure a deal if his characters or story elements ever get used beyond comics he gets something in royalty profits/credits off merchandise/media? How long can he really do this? But of course we know large companies don't want lingering bits to ever become a legal nightmare down the road. It seems like others have pointed out and IDW themselves that its a matter of rights and how thats handled from a creator rights standpoint and technical, legal logistics. Which in the end sounds nasty a bit.
Can't believe theres another edition of TMNT 25th as a HC book. So now it'll include TMNT V1 #18 in color or not? I didn't know about the cover/art/pin ups gallery from the 2nd edition trade. Just can't see myself double dipping for some extras compared to the 1rst trade edition.
I'm curious about TMNT Vol.3 getting collected. What about all the Image characters that appear? Is it possible to reprint Vol. 3 series with them?
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
I'm curious about TMNT Vol.3 getting collected. What about all the Image characters that appear? Is it possible to reprint Vol. 3 series with them?
Pretty sure Image gave them the permission to reprint them. Erik Larson said that while he doesn't like another company reprinting Image comics, at the same time he doesn't own the Turtles, and it would be wrong of me not to let them reprint it.

In other words Erik Larson is doing what Rich Veitch isn't, he's not being bitter about another company reprinting comics and is happy for the TMNT fandom when they come.

Tags
cybercubed thinks deep, reprint