The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-19-2021, 10:47 AM   #1
Raph
Mad Scientist

Jack Angel passed away today

Just heard of the passing of Jack Angel today. In TMNT he was known as the voice of REX-1 in 2 episodes of the classic cartoon, but he did so much more: Nick Fury in the classic Spider-man cartoon, voices for LucasArts games, The Smurfs and Transformers.
He would have become 91 next week.

Rest in Peace Mr. Angel.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Also the voice of the SWAT Bots in Sonic the Hedgehog (Satam cartoon). He was a real go-to performer for robots with just enough attitude to give them some personification.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

Awh, Rex-1. I almost forgot about that episode. RIP Jack Angel.

Did anyone else have the VHS with the Oscar Newton intro?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post

I'm not sure I know what you mean.

In the US market, "New York's Shiniest" was included on the "Cowabunga, Shredhead" VHS from Family Home Entertainment (they even remembered to use proper punctuation!). Is that the tape you had in mind?

View my sketch work!
Old 10-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I'm not sure I know what you mean.

In the US market, "New York's Shiniest" was included on the "Cowabunga, Shredhead" VHS from Family Home Entertainment (they even remembered to use proper punctuation!). Is that the tape you had in mind?
It was a VHS tape that had the Rex-1 episode...and maybe one other bonus episode. The packaging didn't look like the typical FHE VHS. It had a green border. The break segments featured a guy in an Oscar Issac Newton wig talking about every action having an equal but opposite reaction .

I can't remember where it came from, or even find an image, but maybe someone else can chime in.

Ah, here's a link to an ebay listing of it, lol: https://www.ebay.com/itm/13390808605...MAAOSwhW1hbjpL
Old 10-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #6
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
It was a VHS tape that had the Rex-1 episode...and maybe one other bonus episode. The packaging didn't look like the typical FHE VHS. It had a green border. The break segments featured a guy in an Oscar Issac Newton wig talking about every action having an equal but opposite reaction .

I can't remember where it came from, or even find an image, but maybe someone else can chime in.

Ah, here's a link to an ebay listing of it, lol: https://www.ebay.com/itm/13390808605...MAAOSwhW1hbjpL
New York's Shiniest was also on the same VHS as Invasion of the Punk Frogs in a lot of countries.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

I think I bought one of those two years ago... Jester might be one to ask about it.

View my sketch work!
Old 10-19-2021, 02:51 PM   #8
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Awh, Rex-1. I almost forgot about that episode. RIP Jack Angel.

I remember that episode, I think Robocop came out around the time, So I guess they wanted a Robocop type of character for the show.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 10-19-2021 at 04:24 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:56 PM   #9
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:

I'll have to rewatch it or check the case for a run time, but I'm sure it's (like all the TV Teddy Tapes) just the one episode, Return of the Turtleoid.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:14 PM   #10
AquaParade
Banned

The sort of funny thing about that VHS tape, is that on the back, where they advertise their other available videos, they use some Chris Allan artwork. For a longtime, I thought there might be some Archie TMNT style animated series out there.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #11
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Gonna miss him. He was as synonymous in my mind's ear with Ultra Magnus as Robert Stack was. Makes me realize how much time is passing and how quickly, as we lose one more staple of 80s and 90s cartoon casts.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:03 PM   #12
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Another big name voice actor from 80s cartoons and more. Now Jack Angel is with the angels. He had a long life and contributed a lot to our childhoods.
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:11 AM   #13
Fishface
Foot Soldier

Today, we also found a piece of lost media that actually contained his voice, that was thought to be gone for over 30 years, resurface online.
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:21 AM   #14
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishface View Post
Today, we also found a piece of lost media that actually contained his voice, that was thought to be gone for over 30 years, resurface online.
Got a Link?

View my sketch work!
Old 10-20-2021, 09:05 AM   #15
cammy85
Stone Warrior

I knew I had to be thinking about REX-1 yesterday for a reason. He was also in Leonardo, Renaissance Turtle from Season 5.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:44 AM   #16
Fishface
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Got a Link?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab07zxg7WHs&t=332s

It's the US Dub of TUGS, which sadly never aired and never resurfaced. Even more tragic is that this piece of lost media was in the hands of a "fan", who lied about it's existence and deciding to gatekeep the lost redub for over FOUR years! We only saw the dub get leaked THE DAY Jack Angel passes. While it is tragic, because of the gatekeeper, we never got the chance to ask Mr. Angel about it. Us fans really wanted to have the chance to find more information on his involvement. For them, he was the USA's Captain Star.

Considering how obscure of a show TUGS really is, we really wanted to have a chance to discover some of its history, and that chance was taken from us, because some loser thought he was above everyone by hiding the dub from everyone, lied about it, but then decided to show people privately, make them sign a fake NDA, FOR A PRICE!

I am not making this up, this is truly scummy behaviour and he allegedly purposely fast forwarded the video and audio at the end credits, so the voice actors such as Angel and Rob Paulson could not be identified.
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:42 PM   #17
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I'm glad he got the chance to reprise his role as The Liquidator from Darkwing Duck in the DuckTales reboot before passing away. He will certainly be missed!

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote