The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you glad Viacom/Nick bought TMNT?
I'm glad they did 40 52.63%
I'm glad NOW they did, but I wasn't beforehand 8 10.53%
No, not glad 12 15.79%
I was glad at first, now I'm not glad 13 17.11%
It is INFURIATING! 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #161
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Here's a good question. After the end of 2003 and Turtles Forever, other than Volume 4, it didn't look like there woulda been any sort of rush to have new TMNT out, possibly not even the IDW books.
No "possibly," there flat out wouldn't have been. IDW only got the license because Nick was freshly in a place to license it out. IDW wasn't even the first one trying to get the license.

Though it's funny to imagine Tom and Bobby pitching Peter Laird on the first year or so of a prospective IDW TMNT. It would be "absolutely not"s and "no way"s the whole way around from Peter.

Quote:
Now several years later, what woulda been the chances we would have seen any new Ninja Turtles.... anything.... had they not sold? Would they have just sit on the brand during all this time, possibly exception Volume 4, maybe not cancel Tales of the TMNT 2?
I think I remember him suggesting he wouldn't have kept Tales V2 afloat much longer, sale or no sale, but I suspect he would have been motivated to at least put out a new issue of Vol. 4 every now and again over the years.

Beyond the comics? It's pretty stupid to think that Laird wouldn't have had another cartoon offer/opportunity -- or many cartoon offers/opportunities -- in the years since 2k3 went off the air. I don't think it would have even been very long after 2009 at all. Hard to say if he'd be amenable to the sort of changes most companies would probably want, so I'd wager by this point now we'd just be finally getting some kind of new TMNT cartoon that he would be OK with. Nothing like Ciro's show and nothing like Rise, of course. I would imagine -- obviously -- something more in line with 2k3, though stylistically different and hopefully less kiddy. But who knows.

Movie-wise? I'm sure he would have vetoed a whole slew of bad ones over the years since 2009. I wouldn't be too convinced we'd even have one new TMNT movie by now, but there'd probably be scripts and interest from this studio or that studio.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:56 PM   #162
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

No, I'm not content with the studio's handling of the property. I'm fact, I would even go so far to state that I am heavily dissuaded by it.

ViacomCBS is a malicious corporation who's culture continues to cover and shelter the vast majority of sexual offenders/predators. In addition, they're a money-hungry entity that regularly/routinely commits various felonies like money laundering, tax evasion, and IP theft. They consistently and deliberately prevent marginalized identities
from holding any sort of position that would help spread influence through widespread agency and autonomy. They also regularly engage in rampant cronyism/nepotism through their corrupt handling of hiring/promoting individuals who serve as willing grovelers.

Frankly, it is disappointing to myself and others. I hope that they're halted before they attempt to enact any more damage towards the franchise. They really represent some of the worst atrocities that Hollywood tends to engage in.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 12-02-2021 at 12:50 AM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #163
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I wonder if Nickelodeon and/or Viacom would ever consider selling the property to Warner Bros. I feel like TMNT would fit perfectly there, especially since they've already crossed over with the DC Universe (mostly Batman of course).

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:29 PM   #164
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I wonder if Nickelodeon and/or Viacom would ever consider selling the property to Warner Bros. I feel like TMNT would fit perfectly there, especially since they've already crossed over with the DC Universe (mostly Batman of course).
That'd be the best-case scenario (and the only thing that could "save" the brand, at this point). But it'd never happen. I honestly don't see Nick ever selling it, for the same reason Disney hoards properties: "WE might've f*cked it up, but someone way smarter than us might do better and actually make a lot more money on this thing than we did. And we can't have that, because then we lose money AND look stupid. Better we hang onto the thing and just lose a small pittance on failed reboots."

I mean, they already made back way more than they paid Laird for the property, and they make up any other losses with what they take in from Spongebob. Even if every Nick-branded reboot fails, they can afford to take the hits. There's still value in the name brand alone. It'd take something of a miracle for them to even consider getting rid of it. Even if all they ever did was sell retro merch like FW-branded beach towels they'd still be making in enough to make them keep the brand.

But yeah, Nick buying it was definitely not a good thing. Short-term positives followed by a strong of long-term failures. I called it from the jump, but I'm such a general pessimist that nobody ever listens to me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:38 PM   #165
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Yep, the only way TMNT isn't owned by Nick/Viacom is if someone buys Viacom outright.

There have been rumblings that some tech company could buy Viacom but honestly even if that happened I doubt their vision of TMNT would be much different from what we've gotten since 2009.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:45 PM   #166
D-ray
Foot Soldier

I don't really mind it. The 2013 serie wasn't my favourite, but its somewhat nice to see that they try to make the franchise feel new.

I would like to see the rights of TMNT in the ends of someone less "kids oriented" but I guess that's fine.

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:12 PM   #167
Torterra
Foot Soldier

I'm glad honestly after the 2003 series, the Turtles Forever movie and the 2007 movie I completely forgot about turtles till the 2012 series was announced. While there was some stuff in that series I wasn't a big fan of I'm glad it did lit the turtle's fire and brought them back into the media after a few years.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:57 PM   #168
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torterra View Post
I'm glad honestly after the 2003 series, the Turtles Forever movie and the 2007 movie I completely forgot about turtles till the 2012 series was announced.
The 2012 series was announced like the next week.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
plastron goes quiet