The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-03-2005, 11:36 PM   #101
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

I need help BADLY. My PC just died. I'm working from the laptop. Installed a new master hard drive (250Gig) and put XP back in, but I have a delima. All of my old files are on an old 160Gig Slave Drive that was running on a Windows ME machine. Is there a way to plug this slave drive into the system as a slave drive running under XP without the data being lost?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:14 AM   #102
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Should just be able to set the drive to "slave" using the pins on the back of the Hard drive, then plug the HD in as you would any normal Slave Drive and it should be fine. I did the same thing with a ME to XP upgrade, and it worked fine.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:18 AM   #103
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai Takahashi
Windows XP's DOS program isn't really DOS. DOS died once Windows XP came out. Now it's called "command." I'm sorry to say that you can't run DOS-based games anymore on Windows XP, since DOS doesn't technically exist anymore.
How about using DOS emulators?

I use DOSBOX on WinXP. It doesn't always work - some programmes go pretty well on DOSBOX, unfortunately other freeze or even are unable to start up. A streak of luck, I think. Maybe you'll be lucky.

What do you think about DOS emus in this case, Ai?
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:26 AM   #104
Super Moderator

I guess that could work. I don't have any games that run under DOS anymore, so I don't even bother.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:35 PM   #105
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Chains
Should just be able to set the drive to "slave" using the pins on the back of the Hard drive, then plug the HD in as you would any normal Slave Drive and it should be fine. I did the same thing with a ME to XP upgrade, and it worked fine.
*whew* Did it and it worked. Thank you very much. That sucker had 40 Gigs of gaming music goodness on it.

*Burns DVD backups now*
Old 05-04-2005, 02:27 PM   #106
Super Moderator

You just reminded me to get a new hard drive. I'm gonna try and get an external 200gb this time, if not more. Perhaps for my birthday (one month away). The J-Pop videos are taking up way too much space, I'll have to have two hard drives for the videos.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:28 PM   #107
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

What's the easiest way to transfer large ammounts of data from one PC to a new computer?

More then likely I'll be picking up a 17inch 2Ghz G5 iMac tommrow, and I'm hoping to have all my files moved from this computer over to that one by Monday. Can I just link them together between ethernet ports, or over a routed network (i'll be picking up a 802.11g router as well.)

Obviously none of my programs can be transfered over, which is fine, but there shoulden't be a problem moving actual files (mp3, txt, wrd, html, ect.), right?
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:33 PM   #108
Super Moderator

I don't deal in Macs, so I don't know. You'll have to ask someone else. Sorry.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:04 AM   #109
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Well, with PC's you can just transfer files over a router, correct?
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:29 AM   #110
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

Okay, I've got a seriously weird semi-problem here.

In my 'My Pictures' folder, a lot of the thumbnails are suddenly messed up. It's kind of hard to explain so here's a quick example.

Let's say I have pictures A, B and C in my folder.

A's thumbail is fine.
B has a picture of file A for a thumbnail.
C has a picture of file B for a thumbnail.

You get the point. It's crazy and I have no idea what caused it, everything was fine earlier today. Anyway, the files themselves seem completely unaltered, it's just the thumbnails that are being weird. The filenames are still okay as well.

It's not that big of a deal, but it's pretty annoying and confusing, and I'd really like to know just what is going on here.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:31 AM   #111
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwgtrunks
Well, with PC's you can just transfer files over a router, correct?
Yup, but PC to Mac is a lot different. They both use different protocols and I doubt they'd communicate correctly. Check to see if your router has the AppleTalk protocol on it, and try to enable it. Then you should be able to see your PC from your Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha Cow

In my 'My Pictures' folder, a lot of the thumbnails are suddenly messed up. It's kind of hard to explain so here's a quick example.

A's thumbail is fine.

You get the point. It's crazy and I have no idea what caused it, everything was fine earlier today. Anyway, the files themselves seem completely unaltered, it's just the thumbnails that are being weird. The filenames are still okay as well.

It's not that big of a deal, but it's pretty annoying and confusing, and I'd really like to know just what is going on here.
That sounds like some harmless virus you got. That just doesn't happen by accident or some bug in the windows programming. Run a virus scanner and see if it picks it up. Run the spyware program, too, just to be safe.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:01 AM   #112
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

Quote:
That sounds like some harmless virus you got. That just doesn't happen by accident or some bug in the windows programming. Run a virus scanner and see if it picks it up. Run the spyware program, too, just to be safe.
Alright, I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

*E* Tried it, no dice. :/

Last edited by Mecha Cow; 05-27-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Mecha Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 12:28 AM   #113
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

I'm currently in the hell hole of Nevada, but the moment I get home I'm going to work on geting the cable hooked up, but I need a router.

Anyone got some recomendations on a good 802.11g Wireless router to split a wireless cable connection amongst 2 PC's, a laptop, and a DS?

I have got SO many files to share with you guys.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:33 AM   #114
Super Moderator

Right here, dude.

And sorry you didn't get anything, Mecha Cow. I'm not sure what to tell you. I think I actually got that kind of error before, but I left it alone and it eventually went away. Either that, or I formatted later on and it took care of itself.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:35 AM   #115
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha Cow

A's thumbail is fine.

Go to the Tools menu in an Explorer window and select Folder Options. On the View tab, select "Show hidden files and folders" and unselect "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files". Now go into My Pictures and delete the file called "Thumbs.db" (and ignore any warnings that show up). The thumbnails should be recreated without errors this time.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 05:20 AM   #116
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

Quote:
Go to the Tools menu in an Explorer window and select Folder Options. On the View tab, select "Show hidden files and folders" and unselect "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files". Now go into My Pictures and delete the file called "Thumbs.db" (and ignore any warnings that show up). The thumbnails should be recreated without errors this time.
Great, that did the trick. Thanks a lot, both of you.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:50 AM   #117
Super Moderator

Now why didn't I think of that? I'm a failure.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:56 AM   #118
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai Takahashi
Now why didn't I think of that? I'm a failure.
Nah, I'm sure you would have thought of that solution also if you were as annoyed by those Thumbs.db files as I am... It's not so much on my own computer that they bother me, it's more when someone distributes a zip file with tons of those files in it, making the filesize much larger than necessary.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:43 PM   #119
damnhooligan
Mad Scientist

My monitor is being a bitch. Plain and simple.

As of tonight, whenever I boot up I get a big blue screen and "OUT OF SCAN RANGE" notice from my monitor just after the Windows XP splash loading screen. I've taken it into safe mode, in attempt to change the refresh rate, but my screen refresh rate has but one setting, "Use hardware default setting." So, I figure I somehow didn't install my monitor (old ass Sony Trinitron Multiscan 100ES) properly after a fairly recent crash. It doesn't show up in the Device Manager and is just listed as "Default Monitor" when I go to Monitor Properties under the Display Properties.

My martini-riddled brain can't find a quick solution around this come hell or high water and my computer-guru husband passed out promptly after I announced my problem. Help me, Ai-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:57 PM   #120
Super Moderator

What kind of monitor do you use? Is there any way to go into your monitor settings itself (aka using the buttons on the monitor) and setting everything back to default? That's the only way I can think of. It's weird, because usually when the refresh rate is out of range, it tells you straight up right when the monitor turns on, not when it gets to the Windows XP splash screen.