The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Overall impressions of the powers?
Her powers are a neat idea to add into the franchise's lore 7 20.00%
While solid on paper, the execution is lackluster. 4 11.43%
Wait until the end of the show man, then overall impressions. 9 25.71%
Indifferent to the concept. 5 14.29%
April's powers are not needed. 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #61
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Wow, that escalated in a hurry. Okay, I'll bite.

You're wrong. Changing an established character to suit your story, because you don't know how to make the established character "work" is BAD WRITING. It's lazy and narcissistic. It implies you know "better", that your ideas are "better", than what's already been established. Again, I know we've both written fan works, but how many classes have you taken as far as writing goes, compared to me? I'm genuinely curious. My "opinions" are based on what I was taught by people accredited to teach the art of creative writing. Whereas - no offense - but it seems like a lot of your ideas are mostly things you personally would like to see, rather than what actually makes sense for a given storyline or set of characters.

You know what I don't like about YOU, since you decided to go there? You can never admit that you're just plain incorrect about something, and end up making things a much bigger deal than they have to be. It's more than "a bit annoying". More than a few people, not just me, explained why "April as a cop" isn't an idea that works terribly well for April The Character. You like the idea, you've argued (weakly) in favor of the idea... but it doesn't change the fact that it only works if you change April's entire personality, character, and motivations, until she isn't "April" anymore. And again, that's not how this "writing" thing is typically supposed to work. It'd be an interesting Elsewords story where "everything is different", but it doesn't work at all with what's been established for any canon version of the character or her personality/motivations. I was trying to be nice about it, as were others. You don't like being incorrect, you don't like that other people immediately saw it as a flimsy premise, so you make it all about me, like I was the only one who poked a hole in your balloon. That's petty, and it betrays your immaturity and hyper-sensitivity, that you can't handle people pointing out the logical fallacies in a simple idea. Nobody was even being mean or snarky about it. You just went and called me a dick because I explained what's wrong with your idea. Nice.

You're a nice kid, sincerely, but you need to grow up, sister. Nobody was putting you down.
Sorry I still don't believe I'm wrong.... On April at least. I still don't see the problem with changing her character.

and I don't mind being wrong XD the only thing I'm passionate about is racial diversity which you just happen to keep debating with me about. I won't EVER budge on that subject.

But you are right I was being completely insensitive and I apologize for calling you a know it all.

Still sometimes you come off as that smart aleck person and it does feel like you think you are right most of the time.....Which makes it hard for me to respond back politely. Maybe It's just the way I end up reading your posts though. Either way it still it doesn't excuse my behavior and I'll try to be more mature from now on.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #62
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
All notable for their lack of authority & guns.
Don't tell that to action figure April... "the gutsiest gal to every gather news."

"Ages 4 and Up" they say...

"Scoop ya," indeed.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #63
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Well, I'm late to the party.

Leo, I agree with you a lot of times, but go a little easier on Babyturtles. The problem is, you're looking at April as an ideal and Babyturtles is looking at April as a template.

I agree with your ideal of April and wish we'd get more of "April, just a regular Jane" but that doesn't ever get used much. When it does, it's always the least memorable Aprils: examples, Mirage (pre Volume 4), 4Kids, and IDW. Unfortunately, the best April does tend to be least memorable.

On the other hand, you have reporter in Fred Wolf (the best diversion from the "regular Jane") and now psychic alien teenager.

April as a cop would make a pretty cool "Elseworlds" story, and is actually something I came up with as well; a sort of Noir 20's TMNT idea, where April is a private-eye and Casey a police detective.

SHOULD April be a policewoman? Probably not. But COULD April work as a policewoman? Yes, she could. And it'd be a much better version of April than the Mary Sue Teenager that Nick created.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #64
Kingoji
Hench Mutant

Maybe a forensic scientist... take the researcher backstory and skew it in a way that places her in similar situations being a reporter might, ie, scenes of crimes or unexplained occurances. Then she finds a way to scientifically and logically cover up for the Turtles, who are training her in ninjutsu on the side.
And since she grew up with her antique-store owning dad, she's something of an expert on the subject.
She's also part alien and a latent telepath. Everyone goes home happy.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #65
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Forensic Scientist would be a neat idea actually.

But, she needs sunglasses. "YEAAAAAAH!"
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #66
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

oooh! Forensic scientist does sound cool ^_^
Old 01-23-2016, 05:01 PM   #67
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

This April is just like Venus from TNM. They both have powers that could save the day, well Venus is better at her powers than April at the movement.
But it was hard watching the turtles take a back seat time and again, for them to lose and have to relie on Super powers Venus to save the day with her mind. It was awful.

I like the show, but having April have pretty much the same powers as that female turtle, kinda of brings back bad TNM memories.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #68
Leo656
The Franchise

People need to stop putting words in my mouth or trying to tell me what I think. All it does is prove people don't pay attention to what I've actually said.

For one thing, my view of April has nothing to do with any "ideal", she's one of the characters I don't really think should matter all that much, because the story isn't ABOUT her. Frankly, you could write her out of TMNT completely and I'd be pretty "Meh" about it. She's already become too ingrained into the stories, which was never by design, to the point where even the movies aren't about TMNT, they're about April, which is retarded. So no, I absolutely don't have an "ideal" of a character I barely care about, who should only be a background character to begin with. Truthfully, part of why her career isn't the most important thing is because APRIL herself is barely important.

What I'm arguing for is a consistent portrayal of the character, not just giving her a New Hat and saying that's her career if it doesn't fit her. Which means that you can't just say, "Make a character ______" when it doesn't fit their personality as-presented in the existing material. That's it. And in NO version of April that's ever been presented, has she ever displayed a single character trait that shows she would even aspire to be a cop, fireman, astronaut, cowboy, crossing guard, stripper, adult film actress, trash collector.... nada. None of those things fit her character as we know her already. And career aside, she's been fairly consistently-portrayed in most versions. You can't just take someone who has been written consistently to behave a certain way and completely re-write them until they suit something you made up in your head. That is - I'm sorry - Amateur Fan-Fic Hour type stuff. When you work on an established character/property, your job is to respect and expand on what's been established, not twist and bend it until it fits your imagination. Not if it's completely contradictory. "Hey! Let's make Clark Kent a United States Marine!" "Why? It doesn't fit his character at all." "But it's DIFFERENT and blah blah blah." Yeah, no, things don't work like that.

Again, maybe people nowadays are taught writing in a different way than I was, but I stand by what I was taught. That if you have to rewrite established things to suit your headcanon, then you shouldn't be trying to adapt other people's work. If you can't work within "the lines" then you're better off coming up with your own characters and stories, because if your "new" version only works by disregarding what's established, then it's now an OC. The "rules" are completely different for working on an established property, compared to working on an original story/character. I didn't invent that. Fact is, it's specifically why a lot of talented writers won't ever work on an established IP.

Really not complicated. Look, I used to write fanfic, too, and the difference is I'm well aware which stuff I wrote was self-congratulatory nonsense that would have no place in established canon, and I'm not saying my ideas would have any place in canon because they don't. I set up a universe specifically where those ideas would work, so of course they worked in that universe, but they'd make Zero sense in Mirage.... or FW... or 2K3... and so on. Thus, I'm not saying, "You know what would be great?" and insisting my fanfic ideas make it into established canon. I'm not THAT arrogant, for starters.

So, let's recap. 1. A desire to see a consistent portrayal of a character, who doesn't have an entirely new personality/character traits every time someone writes her. 2. A desire for peoples' fanfic ideas to stay far away from canon. Nope, nothing in there about "April as an ideal". Reading Comprehension, folks. Pay attention before you start jumping my sh*t, you might actually learn something.

Probably NOT, with this group, but hey, I can dream.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #69
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Well to tell you the truth Leo it doesn't really matter THAT much to me if the cop is April XD I just thought it would be an interesting idea.

so I guess an entirely new character wouldn't be a bad idea.

If there was ever another reboot I think it would still be cool to see the turtles struggle with getting out of trouble with a police detective that is constantly on their tails.

But...again my own opinion....my own imagination for TMNT.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #70
Leo656
The Franchise

Well I like that concept but not with April in that role. But having a character like that in the stories fits well with their universe. I just think it would work at its best with a different character rather than April. But I like the idea itself, there's a lot one can do with it. It could be a cop, private investigator, government "X-Files"-type person investigating strange phenomenon... lots of stuff you can do with that idea, the basic idea that there's "someone" out there trying to piece together what's going on with these "creatures" that suddenly showed up and all the strangeness that follows their every appearance. And maybe their motivations are shady. Maybe they start as an antagonist, and later become a loose ally, or maybe they don't.

Lot of fertile ground there, for sure.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #71
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Well I like that concept but not with April in that role. But having a character like that in the stories fits well with their universe. I just think it would work at its best with a different character rather than April. But I like the idea itself, there's a lot one can do with it. It could be a cop, private investigator, government "X-Files"-type person investigating strange phenomenon... lots of stuff you can do with that idea, the basic idea that there's "someone" out there trying to piece together what's going on with these "creatures" that suddenly showed up and all the strangeness that follows their every appearance. And maybe their motivations are shady. Maybe they start as an antagonist, and later become a loose ally, or maybe they don't.

Lot of fertile ground there, for sure.
That would be cool ^_^ Wish it was a thing.

Tags
april o'neil