The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #81
Vegita-San
Emperor

yep, for the most part. things I thought where problems with big breaks don't seem as bad. filler episodes that where annoying didn't seem as bad with SOME this time around.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:48 PM   #82
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Just for a sec gonna be that person who randomly throws something in mostly unrelated to a present conversation...

Anyone see that new ad (bumper?) Nick has? One of those they make that's a bunch of bits from various shows thrown together. Show has been over for the better part of four years yet they included this TMNT in it, and Leo even has the last piece. (In contrast, not one bit of Rise even with a Netflix thing pending.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:39 PM   #83
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well it's not surprising, Rise was swept under the rug. Also we're at the point now where Nick 2012 is almost a decade old (hard to believe it'll be 10 years old next year), and now all the kids who grew up with it will be nostalgic for it.

This is why I always believed we would eventually get a reunion movie for the show at some point, and the 10th anniversary would be a good time to revisit the series. Imaging capitalizing of the nostalgia of the kids who grew up with the show, a single movie special would be ideal.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:17 PM   #84
sdp
Megan Fox = April

To put it into perspective, someone who was watching the show as a kid at 9 years old (the target audience for the show) would now be 18 years old. Legal adults, some might be married already, some might have kids already.

To put it into perspective, the 2012 show is as old as Rugrats, Doug, Ren and Stimpy and all the original Nicktoons from 1991 were in the year 2000 and in the year 2000 people were already posting nostalgia of the early 90s on sites like X-Entertainment and other nostalgia websites from the 2000's. The 2012 show is now closer in terms of years of when the Egyptian pyramids were first built than it is to the present.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #85
CyberCubed
Overlord

What's weird is that 2012 doesn't even seem that long ago. Like when we were IN 2012 and I said 2002 was a decade ago, back then THAT felt like a long time ago.

But now that we're almost in 2022...saying 2012 was a decade ago...just feels wrong. 2012 feels like a few months ago to me.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:03 AM   #86
newfan
Mad Scientist

The older kids who watched from the start would be grown up now but then you have the younger kids who came across it while it was still airing, so there would be a mix. Maybe not little kids with it not airing much now (does it still air on re-runs over there?)

So far as Nick using this version over Rise sometimes with merch, Rise is no-longer running either and this one was their first and ... is it fair to say bigger version of the two?... as in it ran longer and there was so much more merch made for it.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #87
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Let's talk about the Turtles themselves in the 2012 series.

Leonardo

- First of all, the fact that of all of the Turtles, he went through the biggest personality growth is one of the most memorable of the 2012 Leo. He went from this happy-go-lucky Space Heroes fan boy to this brooding "Am-I-making-the-right-decisions?" strategist. (And to this tyrannical "Maestro" ruling the post apocalyptic landscape.) To be honest, I can't envision Jason Biggs voicing the later seasons' Leo, he simply doesn't have the grief which became the main fuel behind Leo's character changes.

- Karai. Well, let's be perfectly honest, this was the only one of the pairings in this show that didn't feel forced. And it wasn't smooth sailing either, the first major shift in his personality came from watching her fall into the mutagen and later when she got the mind bending worm, he was faced with impossible choices.
- Sensei. As Karai said "You always liked to boss others around, don't you?" in "The forgotten swordsman" But it's more than just that, as the Sensei, Leo's responsibility to his clan is a heavier burden than just being the leader of the squad. He's not perfect and he KNOWS he's not perfect, which is probably the best attribute of his personality
- Compared to the FW Leo and the 2003 Leo. One of the funniest scenes of the crossover episode was when the FW Leo kept shouting "Turtle Power" to 2012's Leo's annoyance, until at the end of the episode where he actually yelled it himself. The reason why this is funny is because the 2012 Leo being reminded of his old self, when he would shout out ridiculous intros during fights.

Perhaps it was meeting that counterpart that allowed him to channel his old self again.
Compared to the 2003 Leo, he's more fun loving, as the 2003 Leo was much stricter. The 2003 Leo hardly had any fun.

Donatello

- This version of Donatello had a personality change from the Get-go, as in he was VERY different from his FW and 2003 counterparts, which were much more subdued and quieter. This Donnie actually gets mad and screams at the others, which certainly in the 2003 you weren't likely to ever see happen.
- His Will-they-or-won't-they interaction with April has been mentioned in this thread a couple of times. But most of the time, his interaction with her weren't him being this blubbering idiot, as he was actually quite comfortable with being around her.
- But I also have to point out that Donnie was Neurotic and prone to feeling really guilty when something went wrong. Such as when he failed to save The Pulverizer and how devastated he felt wen the latter was frozen solid and seemingly forgotten about.

- Having mentioned that, there were a couple of very notable instances where Donnie took on a leader role and actually did a good job at doing so. I'd say that the best example was in "Monkey brains" his mission with April to investigate Dr. Falco and him fighting the latter at the end of the episode.

Michelangelo

- It's debatable how much of Mikey's screw up behavior was an act, as there were plenty of examples during the show's run where it's on full display that he's much more capable than others (And he himself) give him credit for. In "Never say Xever" for example, during the bar fight, he's seen knocking Sid around without even looking his way. Or in "Pizza face" where he takes on his brother and Splinter and is actually besting all of them.
- But act or not, when Mikey is Goofing off, he REALLY is goofing off.
- Greg Cipes.

Perfect casting.

Raphael

- I'm going to start this off with a quote said by Alopex from the IDW series.

I've pointed out that the IDW series itself has taken a lot of influence from the 2012 series, certainly the issues drawn by Matteus Santolouco where he depicts the turtles pretty much as their 2012 counterparts with Leo having his sword at his right shoulder, Mikey having a shorter Bandana, Donnie having a gap tooth and Raph having a crack in his shell (A different shape but still) And the most notable thing about Raphael in the 2012 series is his very distinct feminine side. Something that the IDW series has adopted too.
- But not just behaving like a girl but also behaving like a mom, always providing a shoulder to cry on if somebody needs it and taking care of Spike and later Chompy. After Spike turned into Slash we see Raph sitting there with Spike's last lettuce leaf, mourning the loss of his pet turtle he care so much about.
https://i.pinimg.com/600x315/06/0c/e...a7b1a83686.jpg
- The funniest expression of Raph acting like a girl is whenever he's around Mona Lisa, as he's pretty much the woman in that relationship. And has no issue whatsoever with being so, he tries to come across as this manly man but in the meantime...
- But this Raphael also reminds me very much of Grimlock from the eighties Transformers series as in he's into having big power but hates it when others abuse big power. Which also brings us to his main character trait.
- He's afraid that he'll put others in danger thanks to his outbursts.

It happened quite a few times that he gets the team in trouble thanks to his explosive personality and he always feel guilty whenever that happened.

"I said I'M SORRY!"
- And, as the Mutant Apocalypse saga showed, he's actually quite good at leading the team, despite being quite scared about taking on the responsibility of doing so in earlier seasons.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #88
IMJ
Emperor

Does anyone remember whether or not this show was rendered for 4k? Probably wasn't....

I'm still down for a Blu Ray release for this series though.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #89
CyberCubed
Overlord

There's no blu-ray sets, but it was on itunes in HD.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #90
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I'm still down for a Blu Ray release for this series though.
Same. There's no excuse why this or the 2003 series hasn't been released in full. I hate when they do volumes and season by season releases because those are a lot harder to keep up with for the average consumer and if sales flop, like morons, they think people aren't interested in it. Meanwhile, stuff like Avatar and Korra have gotten nice complete series releases in various forms.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:19 PM   #91
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Same. There's no excuse why this or the 2003 series hasn't been released in full.
no one buys physical media
Old 08-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #92
Leo656
The Franchise

Bull f*cking sh*t. Jesus, just stop already.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:50 PM   #93
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Bull f*cking sh*t. Jesus, just stop already.
I think he blows his wad every time he types nonsense. It's just how some people are. Blowing your wad can be very influential - especially when it happens simply for routinely typing nonsense, I mean c'mon man..... cut the wad-blowing guy a break!
Old 08-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #94
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Buying DVDs today is like those weirdo old couple who kept buying VHS even in 2006

here we have a more updated chart of DVDs up to 2019

BluRay never surpassed DVDs in sales, less so if we divide Bluray and 4K bluray which people really should since they are two different formats.

I guess BluRays could potentialy outsell DVD at one point, to see who is selling 5 copies of something instead of 3.

I mean I used to have this debate back in the early 2010s and it was hard convincing everyone but I don't think nowadays anyone would argue otherwise. There's a reason why the DVD/BR sections in stores have gotten tiny to non-existant over the years when at one point it was half of best buy. Obviously I don't mean it literally that no one is, but it's a niche market of mothers buying DVDs for the kids hence why you see a bunch of kid content in crappy releases or for the videophile/enthusiast who still care about physical media. The rest of the world moved on.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:35 PM   #95
Leo656
The Franchise

Which is why every single movie and most TV shows gets a physical media release across multiple formats, with no signs of that slowing down anytime soon. These profit-minded billion-dollar corporations spend all this money producing, manufacturing and shipping these things because there's NO significant money in it, and some rando on the internet has the charts and graphs to "prove" it.

OR you're just a f*cking moron. Y'know, whichever. Simplest explanation is usually the correct one, so that's the one I'm going with.

The fact is, the only things that don't get a physical release are MOSTLY things so niche there's no significant market for them. TMNT is not actually very popular, so that would fall under this explanation, especially for things like "Rise" which were an abject failure. The 2012 show would be more deserving, but they could also claim somewhat-rightly that "We already put that show on disc, kinda". Like no, it wasn't Blu-ray, but their research probably shows that the number of people who already bought it once on DVD who would do so again for Blu-ray is insignificant. Plus Nick as a general rule is incompetent as all hell when it comes to putting stuff out on disc, and have been for ages. They're perfectly fine leaving money on the table so long as they don't have to do any work.

I'd say "They'd definitely do a disc release if they saw money in it," but as far back as the early-2000s (when "nobody buys discs anymore" wasn't even an "excuse") Nick was pretty stupid with what they put out and what they didn't, so I don't even think it's about money, because they were leaving money on the table back then, too. I just think they can't be bothered to give a sh*t about much of anything.

Last edited by Leo656; 08-06-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:39 PM   #96
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Buying DVDs today is like those weirdo old couple who kept buying VHS even in 2006

We need an emoticon with a turtle holding a sign that says "Funny Post!"

Either way SDP, saying "nobody buys DVD's anymore" is a lot different than saying "sales of physical media has declined". And even then your statement squashes any valid conversation as to why you'd still want to buy physical media in many instances.

I've got my share of digital media at home served wirelessly by a media server and even then I'd say that in many cases I'd rather own the physical media for a myriad of reasons, man. And I pick up a lot of that streaming media here through an OPPO UDP-203; but the 4k disc sources that thing can churn out blows away any source that comes in over the air. I'm sure that given the rise of streaming media, we are entering a phase where the people who still want the physical media either have disposable income, or they are home theater enthusiasts.

The rest of the world outside of those enthusiast circles are content to consume through their crappy Netflix stream on their computer or "amazing" Best Buy house-brand T.V. that they'd report "looks pretty good!" and not know any better. People who have driven Honda Accords their entire life would swear it's pretty fast, even to a guy with a new ZL1 Camaro, man. Don't get me wrong - I don't believe in frowning on what someone has or doesn't have, but even that philosophy doesn't change the fact that ignorance is bliss.

Quote:
OR you're just a f*cking moron. Y'know, whichever. Simplest explanation is usually the correct one, so that's the one I'm going with.
Wouldn't it be f'n funny if we met this guy at some.... Turtle Convention and he turned out to be this pretty cool cat? HAHAHAHA! Wouldn't surprise me - I've seen weirder $#!( happen.

Last edited by IMJ; 08-06-2021 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #97
Leo656
The Franchise

If you people think I'm a mean person based on the stuff I actually post, you should see the stuff I f*cking delete. That's all I'm gonna say.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #98
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
If you people think I'm a mean person based on the stuff I actually post, you should see the stuff I f*cking delete. That's all I'm gonna say.
LMAO! Leo I was talking to you about meeting SDP. Not about meeting you at a convention.

OMG.

I was saying that SDP, even being an idiot $#!( poster might surprise everyone and be a cool cat.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #99
Leo656
The Franchise

No, I know, I made my comment before you made your Edit.

Seriously, though. Some of the stuff I post and then delete is so horrific that I only take it down because I'm legit afraid that God would punish me for saying such awful things by having them happen to me, instead.

It's just that... well, I just plain don't have any other way of expressing my absolute disgust with some of the people here. The wrong f*cking people ate the Tide pods. Or at least, not enough of the "right" people did.

Anyways. "Turtle Conventions" would have to be a thing for your hypothetical scenario to happen. And as we all know... wait for it... TMNT isn't actually very popular. Y'all can hate me, I'm gonna keep saying it until it stops being true. Especially since other people boldly and repeatedly claim much more stupid and provably-false things than that around here.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #100
IMJ
Emperor

You know that several of us have talked about it... it's clearly a unique fandom. I mean, dude people have entire threads devoted to furries and one guy pretends all of his friends are residing in a NECA thread and makes life-complaint and woe-is-me-videos on YouTube.

It's.... you know... a unique fandom.