The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Venom 2 to be directed by Andy Serkis

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...direct-1228724

The actor-turned-filmmaker will be tackling his first comic book movie as helmer.
Andy Serkis is officially stepping into Venom's goo.

The filmmaker has closed a deal to direct Venom 2, Sony's sequel to the 2018 film that grossed $856 million at the global box office. The sequel, part of the company's stable of Spider-Man-related and Marvel-centric characters, will once again star Tom Hardy as the journalist who joins with an alien symbiote.

Serkis flew to Los Angeles the week of July 22 to meet with Sony brass on the project and was one of several filmmakers in the mix for the job. This will be Serkis' third directorial effort, after the 2017 drama Breathe and last year's non-Disney take on the Rudyard Kipling stories, Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle, which ended up on Netflix after being made at Warner Bros.

Serkis rose to fame for his motion-capture and performance-capture acting work as Gollum in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy from 2002 to 2004. He cut his teeth with second unit directing by reteaming with Jackson for the Hobbit trilogy (2012-14). He played the villain Snoke in the recent Star Wars films, as well as bad guy Klaw in Marvel Studios' Black Panther. His expertise with CG and performance-capture technology is one of the factors that landed him the Venom 2 gig.

Sony had no comment.

Kelly Marcel wrote the script for Venom 2. Ruben Fleischer helmed 2018's Venom, which starred Michelle Williams and featured a last-minute cameo by Woody Harrelson as chief Venom villain Cletus Kasady, aka Carnage. Serkis previously worked with Harrelson on 2017's War for the Planet of the Apes.

Shortly after the news broke Monday, Serkis shared a post on his verified Instagram account.

"It's actually happening. I can feel it, the Symbiote has found a host in me, and I'm ready for the ride...Can't wait," he wrote.

Serkis is repped by CAA and Principal Entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG andyserkis
It’s actually happening. I can feel it, the Symbiote has found a host in me, and I’m ready for the ride...Can’t wait! Are you ready @tomhardy ?
#venom #venom2 #marvel
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Alright, so his first movie "Breathe" has 68% critic's score, 53% top critic and 71% aucience score on Rotten Tomatoes. On Metacritic it scored at 51 with critics and 6.3 with audiences (Metacritic scores use different metrics for critics and audiences in case you didn't know, both mean about average in this case).
His second movie "Mowgli" has 52% critic's, 42% top critic's and 53% audince. On Metacritic it has 51 for critics and 6.5 audiences.

I haven't seen either movie but the consensus seems to be that he's a mixed bag of a director. I kinda think he was picked because he's a big name rather than his skill.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I am one of those people who absolutely loved Mowgli, so I'm both hopeful and curious to see how Serkis approaches this film and character.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

New Title (Venom: Let There Be Carnage) and pushed back to new release date of June 25, 2021
Old 04-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

If it were up to me and money was no risk, I'd just call it "Carnage". I like the simplicity and the boldness of not even including the title character's name in it. I also think it sounds a bit foreboding and all-encompassing.

The idea that Carnage is such a threat that he's even taken over the title is exciting and a bit chilling to me. It nearly says to you "Carnage is coming", without having to actually say it.

My two cents.

Last edited by AquaParade; 04-21-2020 at 12:05 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Sucks it got pushed back. I thought it being October it was safe from Coronavirus push backs. Post-production still to be done I assume?

I recently rewatched my copy of the film. I wanted to convince myself there can be Venom without Spider-Man. There actually can be I found. Not nearly as cool, but it still works especially if you don't want Eddie Brock to be evil.

I know Carnage is one of the deadlier villains in Marvel, but I wonder if it can tonally accurate and still be PG-13. The first installment managed to do it.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Post-production? I've been under the impression they haven't even started filming yet.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Post-production? I've been under the impression they haven't even started filming yet.
Oh, really? I know October 2020 was always the target release date. I believed something like that would have filmed already.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Oh, really? I know October 2020 was always the target release date. I believed something like that would have filmed already.
Huh. Maybe I'm wrong, but usually with any kind of movie like this there'd be at least a few of pics from behind the scenes during the shoots, whether official or paparazzi borne. Not one, that I'm aware of.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #10
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Huh. Maybe I'm wrong, but usually with any kind of movie like this there'd be at least a few of pics from behind the scenes during the shoots, whether official or paparazzi borne. Not one, that I'm aware of.
According to many sources it has been filmed and post production was started just before the pandemic. I’d Link a source but I’m too lazy to do that at the moment.
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Oh, OK. Weird this didn't get a lot of circulation.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/31...wraps-filming/
Old 04-21-2020, 09:31 PM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Venom 3 will be called Maximum Carnage and will feature MCU's Spider-Man teaming up with Venom against Carnage and other symbiotes.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:53 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Venom 3 will be called Maximum Carnage and will feature MCU's Spider-Man teaming up with Venom against Carnage and other symbiotes.
Is that official? That's pretty much what I envisioned happening.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #14
AquaParade
Banned

No way that is official. They don’t even know yet.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:58 PM   #15
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Pushed back to September 17th

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he..._medium=social
Old 03-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

That's dumb. Things are already mostly fine now and will be even moreso in June.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:30 PM   #17
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Borys Kit
@Borys_Kit

Sony pushes VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE release date from Sept 17 to Sept 24, 2021.

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status...79134749253632
Old 03-31-2021, 08:19 AM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Borys Kit
@Borys_Kit

Sony pushes VENOM: LET THERE BE CARNAGE release date from Sept 17 to Sept 24, 2021.

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status...79134749253632
A week? What's the point?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:38 AM   #19
AquaParade
Banned

I hope they can find a way to make symbiote battles compelling. It's hard to get invested in the unknown laws of physics concerning some goopy alien crap that slides all around your body, heals you, and morphs into lethal objects. It's too abstract and they need to lay some ground rules.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:50 PM   #20
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Interesting choice. His Jungle Book was pretty good. Shame that it released right next to the Disney version, which overshadowed it.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote