The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

No More New Marvel Netflix Shows; Disney Wanted to Buy Fox to Compete with the Stream

If you enjoy watching Marvel shows on Netflix, you might want to sit down for this: in the future, new Marvel shows will air on Disney’s in-development streaming service, leaving Netflix in the dust. This is all part of a larger plan Disney has to compete with Netflix, which included their as-of-now dead deal to purchase a large chunk of 21st Century Fox. The bottom line: the era of Marvel Netflix shows is nearing an end.

When Disney revealed they were planning on creating a new streaming service of their own, it seemed almost a given that they would start producing their own original content for it – which they later confirmed they would indeed be doing. But what about Disney produced content that already exists on other streaming services? Namely, the Marvel shows that are so popular on Netflix? It looks like Marvel’s Netflix days are numbered. A report in the Wall Street Journal confirms that future Marvel shows will play exclusively on Disney’s streaming service. There’s no word yet if the current Marvel Netflix shows – Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, The Defenders and the upcoming The Punisher – would make the jump from Netflix to Disney’s service, but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened.

The WSJ story also confirms that Disney’s as-of-now stalled plan to buy a large chunk of 21st Century Fox was tied directly to their goals of trying to compete with Netflix. “[W]e’ve turned our attention to the one platform seeing growth challenges,” Disney Chief Strategy Officer Kevin Mayer says in the article. “That’s the television platform.” The Fox deal would’ve given Disney control of a large portion of Fox’s TV shows, which Disney would’ve then presumably moved over to their upcoming streaming service. Mayer also says to think of the Disney streaming service “not an anti-Netflix move, but a pro-Disney move.”

Disney is clearly determined to come out ahead here, but the transition isn’t going to be cheap or easy. In addition to having future Marvel shows premiere on their streaming service, Disney is also planning to pull all of their movies currently on Netflix and bring them over to their own streaming platform. The WSJ states that this movie is going to end up costing Disney $300-million-plus a year, but Disney seems confident their gamble will pay off with fans making the jump over to their new service.

Netflix, meanwhile, is continuing on their own quest for entertainment domination, with plans to spend at least $8 billion in creating original content for 2018. That’ll continue the head-start they already have on Disney, who plan to debut their streaming service in 2019.

http://www.slashfilm.com/no-more-new...netflix-shows/
Old 11-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't think the deal with Fox is remotely over.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
of course they're going to pull the existing shows and air them on their own service. why wouldn't they?

so was this their plan all along?

thee ole 'bait em and get em hooked' routine.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

If the current crop of Netflix (DD JJ Luke Cage Iron Fist and Defenders) Go to that streaming service. Disney can suck it royally.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So Disney wants to move their Marvel shows from Netflix to Piratebay. All right, that's fine. Probably not a ton of Marvel Netflix fans are interested in paying just for them, or to randomly watch "The Little Mermaid" or something.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #6
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
So Disney wants to move their Marvel shows from Netflix to Piratebay. All right, that's fine. Probably not a ton of Marvel Netflix fans are interested in paying just for them, or to randomly watch "The Little Mermaid" or something.
ya I am just gonna wait till "sites" get them up and watch them for free. I am not paying Disney for shows that were originally on Netflix if they actually move them to the streaming service.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
They're probably hoping Marvel and Star Wars together are enough to pull people in. I imagine they're going to have problems with retention, though, and they know it, which is why they tried to buy Fox and its slate of TV. They've probably got a solid base in parents who might toss the extra money a month out for a stream for the kids. How far that might take them, who knows.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I would think they could load up the service with decades of ABC content, but I’ve heard no such thing.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Hell no. Leave Jessica Jones and the boys on Netflix!
Old 11-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Disney is the only one that can actually easily compete with Netflix right now without having to build a huge library. They already have plenty of ontent which they can rotate around with new incoming one, with brands like Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, ESPN and their different movie studios they have enough content for kids and adults.

In fact it's why Netflix is in trouble because they don't own enough of their own stuff and rely on others, this is why they invest heavily in original shows but even a lot of their originals they don't really own them, I remember reading about how many of those they don't really own so it does seem like Disney can pull the plug completely even on these Netflix originals.

I'm not happy to have all these companies with streaming services but it does seem like the future.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #11
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

So...their new business model is hoping people don't forget to cancel their subscriptions after they've binged the one new show they've got?

Okay.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
So...their new business model is hoping people don't forget to cancel their subscriptions after they've binged the one new show they've got?

Okay.
Yeah.

If I get a free month's subscription, all I need is Jessica Jones Season 2.

Disney, you don't get anymore of my money. You already get MCU and Pixar revenue from me. And all the Disney princesses stuff for my kids. You DON'T get my Defenders money!!!

Old 11-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #13
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Honestly, if too many streaming services start cropping up, the whole thing is going to collapse again at some point. Part of why people love and turned to streaming in the first place is because it was cheap with a wide variety of things on offer. Once you start segmenting that too much, you run into problems, like not having enough content to actually keep people around, something Netflix already struggles with on occasion even now, which leads to cancellations. Then there's the fact that people also appreciate streaming for cost cutting measures, which stops making sense when eight million companies think they can just throw out a service on top of your internet bill, eventually adding up to what you were paying when you had cable to start with.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I can't imagine the majority of viewers DON'T hold the opinion of "one subscription, that's it." Seems like everybody on here does...

If I didn't spring for CBS All Access for STAR TREK, I'm sure as hell not springing for Disney's whatever-the-hell-it's-named to watch Defenders.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #15
sdp
Megan Fox = April

It's already segmented and we already have a ton of streaming services, but unlike say the DC one or the WWE network Disney actually has the content to make it worth the 15 dollars or however much they want charge. Do you guys not realize how big Disney is? They're the only company that can be a serious threat to Netflix in the short term.

Netflix is investing millions in shows because they know they're at the mercy of movies like the one Disney is doing. Anyone with kids who only wants one service is not going to keep Netflix.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #16
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

From the reporter that covers Disney for the Wall Street Journal:

Ben Fritz
@benfritz
To answer the same question from a few people: The Marvel shows currently on Netflix, and any spin-offs from them, will stay on that platform
6:25 PM · Nov 9, 2017
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #17
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
From the reporter that covers Disney for the Wall Street Journal:

Ben Fritz
@benfritz
To answer the same question from a few people: The Marvel shows currently on Netflix, and any spin-offs from them, will stay on that platform
6:25 PM · Nov 9, 2017
wonderful glad I will still be able to watch Season 3 of DD on netflix
Old 11-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #18
Chris
Mad Scientist

Yeah, the Netflix shows are staying put for now. What will happen after the announced seasons is anyone's guess. My guess is they'll stay on Netflix for at least one more season each (beyond the announced seasons, if they continue). That will take us to 2020/2021. At that point they may be wrapping up anyway, we'll have had 3 seasons of the 5 original shows (4 of DD) plus 2 of Punisher (assuming all continue). By then Disney will have a better idea of their own streaming service and whether it's worth the cost of moving them over or just continuing with Netflix (or ending the series).

Any new shows will be made for their own service. They've already confirmed a new Marvel show & a live action Star Wars series. That, along with a promised cheaper price than Netflix (to reflect less content) and Disney's massive back catalogue should make this worth checking out.

My plan with Netflix was just to sub for the months a new Marvel show came out, binge and then cancel, resubscribing for each new season. I've been subscribed since DD season 1 With Disney, I'm a massive fan of a lot of their stuff but that means I already own a lot on Blu-Ray so I likely will just sub and binge when the new shows go up. I'll be honest, they had me at live action Star Wars

Last edited by Chris; 11-10-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #19
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

As I've said before, depending on how much of the "Disney Vault" is accessible on the service (heck, I'd almost just call it the Disney Vault if I was Disney.) I could see it being worth it regardless of where the Marvel streaming series wind up.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #20
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
As I've said before, depending on how much of the "Disney Vault" is accessible on the service (heck, I'd almost just call it the Disney Vault if I was Disney.) I could see it being worth it regardless of where the Marvel streaming series wind up.
But there's no reason not to put everything on there if they own it. It's no longer a supply/demand thing like with home video, everything should be available if it's a digital service.

That being said, it's Disney. Of course they'll force a whole bunch of annoying loopholes and the like over their precious movies.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote