The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-18-2022, 02:24 PM   #41
Leo656
The Franchise

I stopped trying to apply logic to the Rocky timeline when Rocky's kid aged 7 years in a month between 4 and 5.

If I were Sly I would've added a cheeky bit of dialog to that scene like "'Eeeey who's dis big guy? I hardly recognized yuh!" as a giant wink to the whole deal, y'know?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:33 PM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And "Rocky Balboa" was actually set a good number of years before it came out. Because the character needed to be in his 50s, not 60s. But then by Creed it was in the full-on present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I wouldn't think most +40-year-old ex-cons have a chance to START a professional boxing career, let alone earning a title-shot.
Yeah, well, clearly it's not another Creed in this. It's just a bestie from the mean streets where they had to fend off racist police.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:40 PM   #43
Leo656
The Franchise

Alriiiiight, settle down.

Old 10-18-2022, 02:52 PM   #44
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Speaking of Rocky V and the franchise time-line. It feels like the movie spans a little over a year, (maybe two) but how long would one expect a formerly amateur/semi-pro fighter (granted, with a high-profile manager) to work his way up to #1 contender and eventual heavy-weight champion? The montage makes it look like he has at least 10 professional fights at high-profile venues and a newspaper headline in the middle of it mentions he has 16 victories. By some accounts on fansites, his pro record was 23-0-0, presumably all that came before he got into a pointless street brawl with Rocky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I stopped trying to apply logic to the Rocky timeline when Rocky's kid aged 7 years in a month between 4 and 5.

If I were Sly I would've added a cheeky bit of dialog to that scene like "'Eeeey who's dis big guy? I hardly recognized yuh!" as a giant wink to the whole deal, y'know?
If Rocky V plays out over 4-5 years, it's actually more remarkable that Sage Stallone doesn't age up noticeably between beginning and end of the movie than it is that he's suddenly way older than he looked before Rocky went to Russia. It would seem like this would have been a decent opportunity to show two versions of Rocky Jr, one with a child actor closer to the appearance in Rocky IV, then Sage Stallone for the real meat of the film.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 10-18-2022 at 02:58 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:57 PM   #45
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, and most pro boxers at the "elite" level who contend for Championships only fight a couple of times a year, so... yeah, none of it makes any sense. Tommy Gunn's entire montage would be like 3 to 5 years of Real Time, minimum. They made it look like it was pro wrestling and he was going out every weekend knocking guys out and racking up wins. Doesn't work that way.

But I mean eh, Movies.

Old 10-24-2022, 12:02 AM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

https://www.darkhorizons.com/rave-re...d-iii-testing/

Huh, I didn't know that Viktor Drago would be back in this. That means Ivan might show up, too.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:13 PM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

https://www.darkhorizons.com/creed-4...-in-the-works/

Creed 4 is a for sure thing, as well as Creed spinoffs (which may be the already leaked Drago spinoff). Also, the fights in Creed 3 have a strong anime influence? Eh...
Old 02-02-2023, 02:36 PM   #48
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
https://www.darkhorizons.com/rave-re...d-iii-testing/

Huh, I didn't know that Viktor Drago would be back in this. That means Ivan might show up, too.
I enjoyed playing Viktor's campaign in the Big Rumble Boxing: Creed Legends game. Glad to see some of the canon storyline expanded.

View my sketch work!
Old 02-15-2023, 04:16 PM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Final trailer:

Old 03-04-2023, 01:33 AM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Saw it. I'm going to give it a day before I really figure out how I feel about it. At the moment, it feels like I saw a well-crafted drama when I was also hoping for excitement. I wasn't excited, or really rooting for/against anybody in this.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:50 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The non-spoiler review I just posted on FB:

Saw "Creed III" this past Friday. I didn't want to post my thoughts right away as I wanted a day or so to let it sink into my brain first. I liked it but I didn't love it and I think it comes in last place for the Creed movies so far.

Pros:
* The movie kicks off the training wheels Creed 1 and 2 had in being so heavily tethered to the Rocky movies and relatively firmly becomes its own thing.
* For the first time since Rocky IV, we get a "bad guy" that's played by an actual actor, not a real boxer who has to kind of learn how to act real quick before shooting the movie. And it really helps.
* The boxing matches are filmed pretty refreshlingly. It feels new. Not clinical and ESPN-like and not overdone either. Dynamic. A lot of slow-mo hits.

Cons:
* The movie kicks off the training wheels Creed 1 and 2 had in being so heavily tethered to the Rocky movies and relatively firmly becomes its own thing.
* The training montages were a little weak.
* There isn't a lot of buildup to the fight(s). We're just kind of thrust into them.
* The musical score was a little weak. While I understand the idea is to tip-toe away from the Rocky musical score (though one song does make the cut near the end!) and do something new... I would hope they would replace it with something equally memorable. Now, the actual rap songs they chose here and there are perfect.
* Where do they go from here, exactly? A time skip and then he trains his daughter? Maybe, but that's not super appealing.
* (only halfway kidding on this one) C'mon, no Mr. T cameo? Clubber Lang absolutely could have been Damian's trainer and it didn't even need to be a big thing.

My biggest problem with the movie, I think, is that the "bad guy" Damian was made to be TOO sympathetic. When the final fight comes I found I wasn't really rooting for Creed to beat the guy all that much. I just sort of felt a general sense of, "Well, I guess let's just see what happens. *shrug*" And it all becomes sort of predictable from there. At no point in the movie was I really excited about what was going on and I've felt genuine excitement in every Rocky and Creed movie so far with the exception, maybe, of Rocky V.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:22 AM   #52
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
My biggest problem with the movie, I think, is that the "bad guy" Damian was made to be TOO sympathetic. When the final fight comes I found I wasn't really rooting for Creed to beat the guy all that much. I just sort of felt a general sense of, "Well, I guess let's just see what happens. *shrug*" And it all becomes sort of predictable from there.
The movie tries to make Damian someone you want to be put in his place but it just didn't work for me. Also...
Spoiler:
Damian hiring some dude to assault Draco just so he can become champ was a weak setup.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 11:38 AM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
The movie tries to make Damian someone you want to be put in his place but it just didn't work for me.
I think they did the reveal that as a kid, Adonis just ran off and let Damian take the rap for beating that guy and pulling the gun to defend him way too early. They should have even saved that for AFTER the end fight. Because as it stands, we're -- well, I am at least -- going into the final fight thinking, "Wow, Adonis ran off like a scared b**ch while the other guy did 18 years in prison for him and I'm supposed be rooting for Adonis?"
Old 03-09-2023, 12:55 PM   #54
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Creedverse in the works at amazon, movies and tv shows

https://deadline.com/2023/03/michael...on-1235282120/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:08 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Creedverse in the works at amazon, movies and tv shows

https://deadline.com/2023/03/michael...on-1235282120/
This is really going to piss of Stallone.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:56 PM   #56
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
This is really going to piss of Stallone.
That day when Stallone found out his services were no longer required by the MGM/WB/Amazon conglomerate:

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 03-09-2023 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:59 PM   #57
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I just saw this whole Creedverse thing on Yahoo! Creed III is successful? Rocky Balboa isn't in it. Sly was not involved. I don't get it.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:18 PM   #58
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Complete sidenote. Can you guys believe it has been EIGHT YEARS since Creed 1 came out? wtf, guys... how did that happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I just saw this whole Creedverse thing on Yahoo! Creed III is successful?
At the moment it is tracking above both Creed movies but it has not eclipsed them yet. We'll see in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:10 AM   #59
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Went to see it last night on the big XD screen for the Tuesday discount price last night in an almost empty theatre with recliners (my preferred way to enjoy these), and liked it, overall.

I agree with Andrew on these high points:
Quote:

Pros:
* For the first time since Rocky IV, we get a "bad guy" that's played by an actual actor, not a real boxer who has to kind of learn how to act real quick before shooting the movie. And it really helps.
* The boxing matches are filmed pretty refreshlingly. It feels new. Not clinical and ESPN-like and not overdone either. Dynamic. A lot of slow-mo hits.
One thing that was bizarre but much appreciated was the idea that a heavyweight championship match would take place in open-air Dodger Stadium. I'm sure a tone of CGI was used for the backdrops, but it is quite a spectacle. Seems like every real-life boxing match of consequence happens in the carefully monitored confines of Las Vegas, and the Rocky-verse films have really leaned into that trend since 2006. I'd LOVE for that type of venue to be more common in both art and life, but I can certainly understand a number of reasons against it... can you imagine if a fight like that was hyped up and then it rained on everything?

And I probably agree on all his *Cons too. But to elaborate:
As regards the Buildup, it seems there were two plot points would should have been Adonis' major motivating factors but just... kinda happened and didn't prove especially consequential:
Spoiler:
(1) The "Massacre" of Felix Chavez and (2) death of Clair Huxtable, er... I mean, Mrs. Creed.
The movie went to great lengths to build up Chavez as a full character despite not being essential to the plot as anything more than a jobber to buildup Dame; they give Chavez's mother several lines of spoken dialogue and an entire scene to the Chavez family considering whether to take the title fight with Dame. He gets a wonderfully eccentric fight intro and we get a three-round fight that culminates in his death scene... except he doesn't officially die. Beyond that his off-camera condition is referenced and then we see him attending the Battle for Los Angeles, I guess to make everybody feel good that he recovered. But... why bother? I felt like the movie was going hard for Rocky IV symmetry but giving Adonis a reason to come "out of retirement" and "avenge" his friend. Only problem is, Chavez and Adonis (and Duke Jr.) have a primarily business relationship where friendship (if it exists) is only a footnote. When Adonis stares down Dame after that Chavez beating, you feel like he's more upset over the damage to his business brand than potentially losing a friend (Adonis isn't exactly cradling Chavez's body like Rocky did for Apollo).
And then Mrs. Creed dies (heavily foreshadowed earlier) and that's the big emotional moment for Adonis, but the funeral happens, and then... I think that's it for that plot point. They have the nice connection together that's supposed to forgive any resentment between them, but whether or not her death provides any additional challenge, baggage or motivation for Adonis and his title bout with Dame is a moot point, at best.

So the movie has an in-ring "death" followed by a funeral for a major franchise character, but neither seem essential to raising the steaks for this film's conclusion. Those are thematic elements that Rocky III & IV landed with way more impact.

As far as Dame as a "villain"... yeah, Majors is great in the role. From a real-life perspective, I imagine it would be quite a sensational sports story if an aged +40 ex-con (not to comment on the movie's fictional justice system, but how does the dude get 15-20 years of incarceration...
Spoiler:

for pulling a gun on a street fight without firing it and then maybe or maybe not trying-and-failing to evade arrest, even if he does have some priors?) received and dominated a title shot with his 1st professional match--despite several illegal blows--and then went a brutal 12-rounds with a legendary post-retirement heavyweight champ in his 2nd fight.

But the BIGGER story would be the allegations that said +40 ex-con hired a hit-man on another major heavyweight in order to manipulate the fight promotor (his old buddy) into giving him the title shot. If Adonis has evidence that connects Dame and the hitman (didn't register in my mind at first because the hitman is so inconsequential and his face is barely seen on two occasions but apparently it's a big deal), that could be a media equivalent of Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan. Maybe you have the impending legal case against Dame (similar to the first movie's subplot with Conlan about to go to jail), but Creed decides to fight Dame anyway as a non-authorized exhibition grudge match.

I actually think that is a more interesting story than the movie we got with Creed III.

Additional thoughts:
*When I saw the PS2 game collection on teenaged Adonis' shelf (circa 2002 maybe?), it made me realize how odd it is that Adonis is almost surely still in high school when the events of Rocky Balboa take place. Makes me wonder whatever happened to Marie's teenaged son, Steps.
*Apollo Creed apparently owned (and had presumably attended) the 1974 Rumble in the Jungle match between Ali and Foreman. Not the first reference to the legendary fight in the franchise, but when exactly did Apollo Creed find the time to dominate the heavyweight division (he "retired more men than Social Security") up through January 1st, 1976? Man... this alternative boxing history just got even weirder.
*Reference is made to Don King, whom I never thought existed in the Rocky-verse, since his role was filled by George Washington Duke in Rocky V. So.. did the careers of Larry Holmes, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, et al play out almost true to real-life? Man... this alternative boxing history just got even weirder.
*Adonis Creed starts to reference Rocky's "It ain't about how hard you hit" but changes the ending to make it way less memorable.
*Dame's attempts to pressure Adonis into giving the same opportunity that Apollo gave Rocky was an interesting tactic, but it just didn't seem to mean as much when Adonis almost ordered Chavez to do it instead of fighting Dame himself to begin with.
*Chavez didn't even look like he belonged in the same weight class with Dame during their title bout.
*Did Michael B. Jordan get some CGI enhanced muscles at the end of his training montage? If not, very impressive. If so, they should have given Chavez a little movie magic too.
*In-universe, you would have thought a good health Rocky Balboa would have at least attended the funeral. Maybe not the Battle of LA. But... I dunno.
*This Looper article has some good observations; I especially thought the in-film switch from HBO to Showtime was an interesting point for the real-life relationship between MGM/Amazon/Warner Bros.
*What does it mean for Adonis to
Spoiler:
reclaim the unified heavyweight championships years after retirement? What would be his next logical step since the #1-3 ranked challengers would either be under his promotional stable or are training buddies/frienemies?

*A couple of the rap songs are heavy on the "N-word" to a point where they are impossible to ignore (the flashback scene and the leadup to the Battle of LA). I started to wonder if this was the right movie for someone like... uh, me.

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 03-16-2023 at 08:38 AM.