The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 09-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #21
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

Hard pass for me. There’s only one Spider-Man. Miles is cool as a character but I wish they just made him his own, separate super hero character.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Hasn't Miles been around since like 2010? There can be a black Spiderman now. Especially in the current political climate it is needed more than ever.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #23
Allsparrow
Banned

It looks great, the 4K trailer is nice, but the gameplay is getting a bit tired. At this point, that might be what a Spider-man game is supposed to be, but, the attack style, I feel like I’ve played this game before, many times over, just with different skins and cut scenes.
Allsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #24
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Hasn't Miles been around since like 2010? There can be a black Spiderman now. Especially in the current political climate it is needed more than ever.
I think the problem he's getting at is that it's confusing, pointless and a little bizarre to have multiple characters using the same alias simultaneously. It made sense when Miles was still in the Ultimate universe and Peter was presumed dead there, but now he's just this odd in-universe copycat superhero, it's really strange. As long as Peter is around, Miles can't really be Spider-Man, just """be Spider-Man""".

... And then you look at how ASM keeps sticking to the top 20 in the sales charts, how it's often been puglished 2 or 3 times per month, the various sidebooks featuring him, the various alternate universe takes on him, one of his movies being the 25th highest grossing movie of all time, etc...
... And Miles' one book is basically being kept alive through tricking speculators into buying it by renumbering it over and over again.

If Peter Parker is one of the most popular superheroes of all time, then Miles Morales is (pardon the phrasing) the most parasitic spin-off superhero of all time.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:52 PM   #25
AquaParade
Banned

I've always liked legacy characters like Miles Morales or Dick Grayson ascending to Batman. The original heroes become such monoliths, that I find it easier to relate to characters that are trying to live up to them. Not that I I don't adore Peter, Bruce, etc.

I know not everyone will feel that way, it's just a creative choice that excites me.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #26
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I've always liked legacy characters like Miles Morales or Dick Grayson ascending to Batman. The original heroes become such monoliths, that I find it easier to relate to characters that are trying to live up to them. Not that I I don't adore Peter, Bruce, etc.

I know not everyone will feel that way, it's just a creative choice that excites me.
There's a difference between Jaime Reyes replacing Ted Kord, Dick Grayson replacing Bruce Wayne and Miles "replacing" Peter.

Jaime Reyes is probably the best example of these because he was sufficiently different from Ted and Ted wasn't that likely to come back, which made it easier to take seriously. That's more or less how things ought to be done.

Dick Grayson did replace Bruce when he was seemingly dead and it might have been fun reading Dickbats while it lasted. Granted, Bruce is such a popular character that he was never really going to be replaced permanently. It was kind of hard to take seriously but at least Dick went back to being Nightwing afterwards instead of dragging out the facade.

Miles is... Very hard to take seriously. While the version of Peter Parker he replaced was alternate universe version that people had progressively stopped caring about, it was at the very least assumed he would remain the new Ultimate universe Spider-Man... Until of course Ultimate Pete came back to life anyway and Miles' moved to the main universe... Where the native version of Pete is still alive and active.

Do you see how weird this is?

"How can I live up to a guy who is still very much alive and doing far more things than me, meaning I don't need to fill his shoes in any way but I still do it anyway?"

That premise is beyond stupid. Miles is just about as pointless of a character that you can make. Until he's reinvented to be something more distinct, he's essentially just a waste of printer ink.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:03 PM   #27
AquaParade
Banned

Sure.

I wasn't a big fan of Miles being brought into the 616 universe and that's where his story sort of ended for me, but his introduction was well done in the Ultimate Universe, the movie version worked, and he is still featured in some cool stories that wouldn't necessarily fit Peter. I appreciate him.

In the Ultimate universe and movie, he is trying to live up to a fallen hero, which is an fun dynamic. In the 616 universe, continuity is a mess, but at least you can use the character to tell classic stories that would no longer suit Peter Parker, while allowing Peter to finally grow up. Then you can highlight the differences between Miles and Peter in relation to their upbringing, background, etc.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:14 PM   #28
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:56 AM   #29
Shark_Blade
Emperor

The game’s out. Anyone playing it on PS4 or PS5?
Old 11-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #30
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Just played a bit of Spider-Man Miles Morales on my PS4 and it looks amazing but can’t help wondering what it’d look like on PS5 (my preorder comes later).
Old 11-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #31
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Finished it. It suffers framerate issue in later half on the PS4 but other than that the story, outfits, moves, gameplay are all good. Can’t wait to try on PS5 to see the difference.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #32
Iroh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Finished it. It suffers framerate issue in later half on the PS4 but other than that the story, outfits, moves, gameplay are all good. Can’t wait to try on PS5 to see the difference.
This is the best Spider-Man game I have ever played. I have it on PS5 and I received the platinum trophy back in December 2020. There were zero frame rate issues when I have streamed it on Twitch. The black Spider-Man is the best Spider-Man!
Old 03-26-2021, 02:25 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've played it a bit... it's definitely top notch. It came with the regular Spider-Man game, upgraded for PS5, so I'm in the middle of that now.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #34
Iroh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've played it a bit... it's definitely top notch. It came with the regular Spider-Man game, upgraded for PS5, so I'm in the middle of that now.
Best platinum trophies ever! Stan Lee was such a freaking legend!