The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-15-2022, 07:48 AM   #7781
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Part II really blew me away with just how sharp it is. People who know me well could tell you that I typically don't go in for balls-out comedy, and I'm on-record that when a series resigns to satirizing itself it's usually an admission that they're bereft of ideas. But that movie was a freakin' trip. I honestly can't think of any "better" sequel that could ever have been made, and from top to bottom it's essentially a "perfect" movie. There's nothing at all "wrong" with the first one but the second one, admittedly, is a lot more fun to watch, and nowadays watching them back-to-back the entire first one mostly just feels like prologue to the sequel, which is where all the TRULY memorable scenes are.
The simple fact is that Joe Dante is a genius. He really is. He does great work. I really loved Small Soldiers and Looney Tunes: Back in Action as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not sure if i should spoil it....oh wait, there's tools for that:
The film is called The Age of Adaline.
Spoiler:
Blake Lively stars as a woman, born on New Years Day 1908 who after an accident when she's in her late 20's doesn't age anymore. She must live her life in secret so as not to arouse suspicion, depicted in one scene set during the Red Scare. On New Years 2015 she meets and starts a relationship with a young man. After some time together and some ups and downs she is invited along on a family celebration of his father (Ford) and mother's 40th wedding anniversary. BUT upon meeting the father it is revealed that he is a man she once loved but abandoned once things got serious to keep her secret.
Oh God... I really despised this movie when I saw it years ago. I hated the narration, which had nothing to do with the characters in the movie, it was just some disembodied voice that kept talking about Adaline's powers, and crap. I hated her love interest, the son of Harrison Ford's character. Tbh, I thought she should've ended up with
Spoiler:
Ford's character because they had way more chemistry, both in their youth and when they were on-screen when he was an old man, lol
. I thought it was a good idea, just not well executed, and not a very satisfying romance either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
The Suicide Squad from James Gunn. That movie was great. Bloodshot was cool. Peacemaker was such a douchebag. I loved Polka Dot Man's mommy issues that was hilarious.

Harley was much better in this one too. Also Stallone King Shark was great. Cool to finally see Starro on the big screen too
I watched it recently on HBO, back-to-back with their premiere of The Batman. I agree with you for the most part, though
Spoiler:
I hated that Polka Dot Man dies... Like, it legit made me upset. Both how he dies, and the fact he dies at all after he finally got a win.
It kind of bumped the rating for it down from a 9 to a 8 for me, tbh. But yes, loved seeing Starro finally..... I just feel like Starro would've best suited a JL movie. Alas, that would never happen. It's going to be Lex, Joker, and/or Darkseid because WB sucks.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:29 PM   #7782
Leo656
The Franchise

I will forever want a Darkseid movie more than a Starro movie and I'm not budging on that.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:56 PM   #7783
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I will forever want a Darkseid movie more than a Starro movie and I'm not budging on that.
I dunnoooo.

I don't trust those Brothers Warner to deliver.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:51 AM   #7784
newfan
Mad Scientist

I'm late with Halloween Kills but finally caught that. Not sure what I think of the explanation for Myers strong unkillable aspect, other than there should be one. Quiet gory, yes I know it's a Halloween movie just felt more so. Curious to see how they end this.

Also, The Boat on Amazon Prime. This I just came across and thought to take a look. It was a one person movie but has you guessing about what's going on.
I'm still left wondering about something, anyone else seen it?.

Last edited by newfan; 05-22-2022 at 04:00 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:51 PM   #7785
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I saw Downton Abbey: A New Era on Friday. My mom and I were fans of the TV series and the first movie. We really liked this film as well.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:38 PM   #7786
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Saw The Batman. Here is what I said in the The Batman Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
I enjoyed it. Pattison wasn't bad as batman. Kravitz was great as Selina and I loved Farrell as Penguin. Finally a Penguin kind of like the comics. Riddler was ok a big step off from how he is the comics but kind of interesting. Also Turtturo was great as Falcone.

I am down for the sequel.

Alfred was wasted in this movie in my opinion. Also the new Batman Theme is really good in this.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:51 PM   #7787
Leo656
The Franchise

Watched the two-part "George Carlin's American Dream" documentary.

I truly don't think it's any coincidence whatsoever that the whole world officially and irreversibly went to sh*t when he died. He was our prophet and our conscience, coming around every now and again to force us to confront all the ways in which we were brutally and stunningly full of sh*t. And even though he always denied it and never would have admitted it, I think at least part of it was in the hope that by holding up the mirror and forcing us to confront all of that hypocrisy and ugliness, that maybe - just maybe - we might be able to turn things around before it was too late.

He'd probably be perversely thrilled to know that everything has only continued to spiral out of control worse than ever, and that we have in fact learned absolutely nothing, just as he'd always predicted.

The planet's on fire, we're about to start World War III, Rome is burning while Nero fiddles, and somewhere out there in an infinite and chaotic universe, George Carlin is laughing his ass off.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:57 AM   #7788
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Started up Ghostbusters and plan to watch that series before Jurassic next week.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:02 AM   #7789
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I've seen Minions: The Rise of Gru twice. It has very funny and entertaining.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 04:41 PM   #7790
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

I'm planning on seeing Minions Rise of Gru sometime this week hopefully.

The last film I saw at the cinema was The Bad Guys and it was very good, I loved the animation and characters in it, Mr wolf and Diane especially.

But in general, the last film I've seen recently was Howl's Moving Castle, (I've had it on DVD for years but hadn't watched it in full until recently) it's incredible and Christian Bale did a good job playing Howl.
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #7791
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Jurassic World Dominion.

And guess what?

I loved it.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:25 PM   #7792
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I did see "Nope." Most people are probably either going to love or hate the big twist. I was maybe slightly bummed at it, but I thought it was a creative one. Definitely a unique take. Also, a solid movie. Just a good, straight up mystery/horror/suspense movie casted well with no nonsense. I would've liked to have seen a couple things that were set up a little after the middle pay off at the end, but it's fine.

Spoiler:
The UFO is the alien. Like, the UFO is a living creature. The implication being that all the UFO sightings and abductions are actually just aliens like these going around eating people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Started up Ghostbusters and plan to watch that series before Jurassic next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Jurassic World Dominion.
I had a nice plan to do a marathon watching of all of the Jurassic Park movies leading up to Dominion but then I ended up seeing Dominion first... which kind of killed any interest I had in doing the marathon. Like after seeing "Rise of Skywalker" it was like, "Meh. What's the point? It all just ends up here. In sh**sville."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:35 PM   #7793
mrmaczaps
Banned

Watching the gray man and its almost over... seems a bit on the nose for Chris.... lol. Dude hates guns but sure loves doing movies with them & making money.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:01 AM   #7794
Leo656
The Franchise

Finally saw "The Godfather". Yes, I know I'm late to everything and that this is a mortal Movie Nerd Sin. I simply don't watch a ton of Gangster Sh*t, it's just not my idiom.

Very good movie, though. I mean, it can never live up to the reputation it gets from people crowing about it for decades, that always takes a little bit of shine off, but it IS very good.

I do have some problems, but mostly minor. For example, the passage of time from one scene to the next was sometimes downright incomprehensible; several years pass a couple of times from one scene to the very next, and everyone still looks mostly the same so it can be jarring in the moment to realize that more than a moment has passed. Especially considering how MOST of the movie cuts between events happening simultaneously, or within just a few minutes of each other; then once in a while Michael suddenly has a 3- or 4-year old kid and you're like "Oh, I guess it's Way later, now." I guess putting "5 Years Later" cards on the screen would have been a bit hokey, but I don't know. Some of the editing was brilliant, and some of it felt sloppy and lazy like they didn't know how to transition.

Some of the characters' specific relationships to each other and why they'd suddenly betray each other was a bit fuzzy at times, but I didn't really think too much about it. I'm sure those bits would be more clear when I watch it again, and also, if I spoke Italian.

Perhaps the biggest thing that bothered me, though, was the subplot involving Michael's sister Connie and her abusive husband, simply because the movie treats her entirely as a plot device. We see the big meltdown fight, and it's implied that he beats the sh*t out of her (while pregnant!) and then the movie never shows or mentions her again until the very end, when that event becomes Suddenly Important. It's not a bad subplot and it ties everything together neatly, but she herself isn't even a character, she's just there to get hit and scream, and the entirety of her abuse is only there so The Men can react to it and in turn affect the plot. She, herself, has no agency or presence in the story. In fact, ALL of the women in the story are just props.

I mean, I'm sure on some level it's a bit of "meta" commentary on the reality of being a Mob Wife... but I'm also pretty sure that in the 1970s, writing women as Actual Characters was not a priority at all, and that that's the real reason for this.

A case could also be made that you could probably get the whole movie down to about two hours by clipping some of the lingering shots of scenery and whatnot, but I'm the last person to ever complain about long movies. Just saying, a case could be made.

Anyways. Very good, but with flaws I've never heard anyone mention before. Looking forward to watching the second one, hopefully tomorrow.

Old 11-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #7795
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Netflix "Hellhole."

It's okay. What it had going was pretty good, but really feel like it had a lot of potential for a deeper, more interesting story that it didn't flesh out. If you're like me and rather dislike when a movie ends in a way that feels quite incomplete -- it does that.

Spoiler:
Devil finally arises, the actual "hellhole" opens up in the grounds of the monastery... The end.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 03:34 PM   #7796
TylerD
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
I've seen Minions: The Rise of Gru twice. It has very funny and entertaining.
Just watched that with my son, and thought it was fantastic!
TylerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:13 PM   #7797
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Recently watched Paws of Fury, and LOVED it. As a "remake" of Blazing Saddles, it was pretty great, but even without that, it was hilarious and fun. The fact that Mel Brooks even did one of the voices clinched it for me.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:02 AM   #7798
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

The Whale (2022).

Loved it. Give Fraser the Oscar now.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:47 PM   #7799
newfan
Mad Scientist

I re-watched the first two Terminator movies, both still hold up and are good movies, the version of T2 I watched was digitally remasterd but still, not one of the things you go back to find it looks old when you remember it looking good Sadly I remember what they did in Dark Fate when watching the end of T2, but I will ignore it.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:49 AM   #7800
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Netflix's Slumberland was a pretty enjoyable watch. Got a bit deeper than expected and pretty great on the graphics and effects.

But that bed... A bed should never have legs like that, or walk like that, that's just nightmare fuel.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies