The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 02-21-2022, 02:58 AM   #1161
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
I could have sworn that when the 2014 PD film was on the horizon it was touted as just being called 'Ninja Turtles' - no Teenage Mutant in there. And I'm sure I recall merry hell kicking off on this forum about it! Seems the vibe now is that it's OK for a 'Ninja Turtles' title?

Maybe in my old age my mind isn't quite what it used to be. But that's what I seem to remember.
Of course it was going to be Ninja Turtles. There was title images and all released. When they shut the production down to do a bunch of reshoots to make Erich Sachs not the Shredder and create a "barely there" Oroku Saki character they also changed the title to add in the "Teenage Mutant."

I'm totally not against a "Ninja Turtles" title as long as they're not teenagers in it and it's mature material. It's the perfect title for such. It didn't suit... that movie, though. "Bulletproof Hulk Fake Turtles" might have been the most apt title.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:32 AM   #1162
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Of course it was going to be Ninja Turtles. There was title images and all released. When they shut the production down to do a bunch of reshoots to make Erich Sachs not the Shredder and create a "barely there" Oroku Saki character they also changed the title to add in the "Teenage Mutant."

I'm totally not against a "Ninja Turtles" title as long as they're not teenagers in it and it's mature material. It's the perfect title for such. It didn't suit... that movie, though. "Bulletproof Hulk Fake Turtles" might have been the most apt title.
In a weird way I wish they had stuck to their guns and just made their original idea/concept. The changes to try and appease the fans just didn't work. At least it could have been "that cr*p movie with the crazy alien idea". Nothing made sense in the finished version.

Making the Turtles hulks in both size and strength was the worst thing they or anyone could do. Hero's in any franchise need a weakness. I always think the Turtles weakness is their size - they can be overpowered individually, but as a team they can defeat most adversaries.

(I'll hold my hands up and say I was in support of the 2014 movie before, during and immediate aftermath, but can now see and not afraid to admit the plot, design, direction was so so bad).

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:42 AM   #1163
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
In a weird way I wish they had stuck to their guns and just made their original idea/concept.
In all honesty, yeah. At least then it'd be easier to discard out of sleight. Or at least compartmentalize as this independent thing that isn't even trying to be TMNT as we know it.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:24 PM   #1164
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
I could have sworn that when the 2014 PD film was on the horizon it was touted as just being called 'Ninja Turtles' - no Teenage Mutant in there. And I'm sure I recall merry hell kicking off on this forum about it! Seems the vibe now is that it's OK for a 'Ninja Turtles' title?

Maybe in my old age my mind isn't quite what it used to be. But that's what I seem to remember.
I never really understood why the title was any big deal. I never cared about that part. (And would personally love for a film to allow the Turtles to be older for once anyhow.) I don't even recall it being an issue around here, but maybe it was prior to my joining the forum and I missed that part.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:37 PM   #1165
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

The backlash around the 2014 PD movie originally being titled "Ninja Turtles" was because they were removing the mutant component of their origin and making them aliens instead. That's why they took Teenage and Mutant out of the title.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:45 PM   #1166
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I never really understood why the title was any big deal. I never cared about that part. (And would personally love for a film to allow the Turtles to be older for once anyhow.) I don't even recall it being an issue around here, but maybe it was prior to my joining the forum and I missed that part.
It was because of the belief that Bay and co were planning on making the turtles aliens. The title and the lack of the word 'mutant' was taken as further evidence that it wasn't just a misunderstanding and that they were genuinely planning a huge extra terrestrial re-imagining of the characters.

I'm of the opinion that the title Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a big part of drawing people into the original comics and animated series. The outlandish strangeness of the title and the basic premise is something you have to look at. After so many decades for the franchise to be almost ever present in mainstream pop culture and being displaced by even more outlandish things like Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy a case could be made for dropping the teenage mutant part of the title. I imagine if they ever do get around to making the live action reboot then the subject of whether they want a third movie to carry the same name; simply calling it Ninja Turtles might be a way to go regardless of the age of the characters. Also in the long shot hope it is a darker movie than it could be a good signifier that it is more adult fare.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:46 PM   #1167
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
The backlash around the 2014 PD movie originally being titled "Ninja Turtles" was because they were removing the mutant component of their origin and making them aliens instead. That's why they took Teenage and Mutant out of the title.
I think the title survived even after they discarded the aliens angle and script. It was jettisoned at the same time as white guy Shredder as a PR move.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:04 PM   #1168
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Old 02-21-2022, 06:36 PM   #1169
Leo656
The Franchise

"What Went Wrong?" "Every Single F*cking Thing."

There, now nobody has to waste 37 minutes on that video.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:45 PM   #1170
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, the alien idea was terrible if that's the real reason they shortened the title.

Blue Door was an interesting read and, while it had some redeeming qualities in its storytelling (that I'm sure would have then turned out half-assed on screen ), most of all I really disliked how they ended it. I get that they were trying to make it emotionally impactful, but removing the brothers not only from Earth as their home but also from each other forever was just a heartbreaking and depressing note to end something on.

If anyone is interested in looking it over again (or for the first time) I went and dug up Blue Door -- because I'll always love the writer's awkward use of "eye-f***ing" post-Turtle fight like he didn't know that sounds really wrong.

Spoiler:
Casey charges back to the trailer, where he furiously SWINGS
OPEN the U-Haul Doors —

THE TURTLES FREEZE IN POSITION - Raph with Leo in a headlock.
Don grabbing Raph's leg. And Mikey pulling at Leo's waist.

Casey notices The Turtles have moved around April's
furniture, TRANSFORMING THE U-HAUL INTO A MOBILE LIVING ROOM .

CASEY (CONT'D)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...
don't Ninjas pride themselves on
being stealth ? And undetectable ?

DONATELLO
In all fairness, it's been a while
since we've had a proper meal.
Check this one off to low blood
sugar .

Casey SLAMS the door shut.

Raph releases Leo. Don and Mikey standing between them as
the Turtles catch their breath. After a beat, Leo, while eye-
f***ing Raph, addresses Mikey:
Old 02-22-2022, 04:16 AM   #1171
neatoman
Emperor

So here is how the script describes Bebop and Rocksteady:
Quote:
BEBOP , a WARTHOG-SHAPED MUTANT WITH RAZOR SHARP TUSKS
PROTRUDING FROM AROUND HIS MOIST PIG'S SNOUT FITTED WITH A
GOLD RING . He stands upright at over-six-feet-tall, and
wears his trademark PURPLE MOHAWK and SLOTTED SHADES.

Beside him, a bit shorter but much beefier, is ROCKSTEADY. A
RHINO-LIKE MUTANT WITH THICK SILVER-BROWN SKIM AMD A HEAVY
HORN PROTRUDING FROM HIS FACE . CAMOUFLAGE PANTS and an ARMY
HELMET complete his look.
And this how it describes Shredder:
Quote:
Frustrated, Schrader grabs the skin, peeling away half of his
face and FURTHER REVEALING: Schrader' s not a man at all,
he's something else entirely, as evidenced by —

JAGGED BLADE TEETH are set into a mouth so wide it nearly
wraps around his head, which is covered in PALE YELLOW SKIN.
And HIS EYES (the one that's now visible) BURN FIRE RED

Schrader reaches down and PULLS THE SAI FROM HIS FOOT,
letting loose with a TERRIFYING, OTHERWORLDLY-HOWL —
This might possibly be my favorite bad thing about this shitty script. So it was super important that Bebop and Rocksteady, the characters who had basically been absent from the franchise for about 20 years and nobody ever bothered to put in a movie before, to look perfectly recognizable. Shredder on the other hand who is actually one of the central characters in the franchise? Let's reinvent him completely!
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:30 AM   #1172
AquaParade
Banned

That actually sounds kind of fun. I'm sure the movie would have been a trainwreck but I may have liked it more.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:26 AM   #1173
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Seeing the 2014 logo again in the YT thumbnail above reminds me that it looks obvious that the plan was 'Ninja Turtles' only and then they dropped Teenage Mutant on top as an afterthought! Whole thing was a knee jerk train wreck.

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:01 PM   #1174
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

I listened to interviews with Megan Fox about how she got the role, and she was quoted as telling the producers that they "can find a better actress, but they will not find a bigger fan (of the Turtles)" ... the moment the heard this, it was clear to me they were already going in a bad direction. Personally, I dont care how much the cast and crew are fans, so long as they have artistic integrity to respect the material, and put forth a solid representation. I dont much like Rogen, but hes been associated with enough successful comic-related material that it makes me hopeful, but again, his leaning on the 'teenage' side of things makes me wary. I hear 'teen' movie, I immediately goofy comedy, filled with fart jokes, and teen angst, which I am not really interested in watching.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #1175
RoyLo
Mouser

Question The villains

I read that there also going to be movies or series focusing on the villains?

Where can I find info about which characters?
RoyLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:24 AM   #1176
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyLo View Post
I read that there also going to be movies or series focusing on the villains?

Where can I find info about which characters?
There is no information about which villains. We can assume it's the most frequent villains in the franchise, so something like:
  • Shredder
  • Karai
  • Krang
  • Bebop and Rocksteady
  • Leatherhead
  • Rat King
  • The Triceratons
But we don't know for sure.
Hahahaha!
Old 02-25-2022, 10:30 AM   #1177
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

It's supposed to be those villain movies that are the new TMNT content they were hinting at for Paramount+, right?

If the Turtles are generally absent from them...I guess I now feel less annoyed about it being stuck on the one streaming source.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:12 PM   #1178
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
It's supposed to be those villain movies that are the new TMNT content they were hinting at for Paramount+, right?

If the Turtles are generally absent from them...I guess I now feel less annoyed about it being stuck on the one streaming source.
Those villain movies could be live action as it doesn't state if its live action or animation, But they announced a reboot of the live action movie last year, So what if those villain movies are related to that? That is something I could see happening.

We get these villain movies setting up those characters, and then they appear in the live action movie reboot.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:23 PM   #1179
RoyLo
Mouser

So you're taking it to the comics direction..
What about the more mainstream ones from recent years such as the one that everyone talking about - Scratch and gave him and Hot Spot a mutual show?
RoyLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:06 PM   #1180
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyLo View Post
So you're taking it to the comics direction..
What about the more mainstream ones from recent years such as the one that everyone talking about - Scratch and gave him and Hot Spot a mutual show?
Care to rephrase that? Because I didn't understand what you were trying to convey.
Hahahaha!