The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 09-08-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

People who use the term "dad rock"

Within the last decade, I've noticed this trend online among younger people to criticise people who love classic rock music or who consider a Led Zeppelin it a Queen album to be their favourite album ever. At first I thought it was just hipsters being elitistic douches, but turns out many of those youngsters love mainstream rap and rnb music of the current century. So it seems odd to me for someone to criticise me for listening to Guns N Roses or Led Zeppelin when they listen to someone like Kanye West. Will they be upset when kids 20 years from now on are listening to Kanye? Of course they won't.

I think it's just kids being stupid and thinking older stuff sucks. Also, many people aged 18-25 still seem to be going through a rebellious against their parents phase.

It's dumb to use "dad rock" as a label. Good music will stand the test of time. If classic rock is dad rock then what's classical music? Great great great great great grandpa music?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Within the last decade, I've noticed this trend online among younger people to criticise people who love classic rock music or who consider a Led Zeppelin it a Queen album to be their favourite album ever. At first I thought it was just hipsters being elitistic douches, but turns out many of those youngsters love mainstream rap and rnb music of the current century. So it seems odd to me for someone to criticise me for listening to Guns N Roses or Led Zeppelin when they listen to someone like Kanye West. Will they be upset when kids 20 years from now on are listening to Kanye? Of course they won't.

I think it's just kids being stupid and thinking older stuff sucks. Also, many people aged 18-25 still seem to be going through a rebellious against their parents phase.

It's dumb to use "dad rock" as a label. Good music will stand the test of time. If classic rock is dad rock then what's classical music? Great great great great great grandpa music?

Everything from the current younger generation is about labels and usually in the pejorative in some form or another. And then usually used in a pejorative during a virtue-signal. Consider the irony.

I mean ..... why does it take this example in your thread here to point it out? The behavior is all on the same spectrum - tearing down statues, complaining about injustice they've never faced, chastising older art. It's all the same. This is obvious to some of us and completely occluded to others.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote