The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 04-17-2023, 02:44 PM   #81
DonnieLaForge
Mad Scientist

Huh...nothing about that set makes sense. I want to know if the cards for April/Mondo will be character specific like the single reissues or not. If not, this is probably a "no"...
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 03:26 PM   #82
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
Huh...nothing about that set makes sense. I want to know if the cards for April/Mondo will be character specific like the single reissues or not. If not, this is probably a "no"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellyp View Post
Here in Canada I picked up the 3 Pizza Tossin’ Turtles from Walmart Canada cause I never had them and they always looked cool. No Donnie sucks but I went on eBay and bought an incomplete one so I have the figure at least to complete the team. The storage shell turtles I bought a set of online as the stores here didn’t have them and a week later they started showing up in my local stores…for considerably cheaper but what can ya do? My originals have no accessories and Leo and Raph don’t even have a shell. My youngest son also has a Mikey floating around his room that is without a shell. I noticed on these rereleases that Mikey’s stance has been changed.

Also the Walmart here has the “giant” turtles, Turtle Van, and the 4 basic turtles. They also got the single pack figures of Shredder and Triceraton and the Leo and Mikey in Trench coats “collector figures”. Too bad I fell for buying the 2 packs for Shredder and Triceraton despite having the turtles figures I already had. My youngest son got the duplicates of Don and Raph.

Gamestop was where I saw the storage shell figures after I already bought them online. They also had the pizza Tossin figures and the collector figures, as well as the basic Shredder and a Turtle Van.

Toys R Us here has the weakest selection as they only had the basic 4 Turtles.

In Canada the figures were imported by a Quebec company called Import Dragons so no more Spin Master as the Canadian distributor which is good cause they were horrible. Something about seeing them with that original style card art really makes me happy. I told my kids that 35 years later they are still the coolest toys in the toy aisle.

Damn was in Walmart and didn’t look. Will have to next visit. Also have to check GameStop and Toys R Us

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 03:57 PM   #83
Ninja-Tech
New Recruit

I will most definitely be getting all four of the mutating turtles. I got all three of them back in Christmas of 1993 except for Mikey. This is going to be awesome for sure.
Ninja-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 08:15 AM   #84
Bran The Man
Thug

I think the "Mutatin' Turtles" have already started showing up at Target. A guy I follow on Instagram recently bought "Mutatin' Leonardo".
Bran The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:58 AM   #85
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
When you receive these I'd be curious to learn whether they have the rectangular white item name / code sticker on them anywhere (back of card, inside of bubble, etc) --- and whether ordering them this way results in card backs that are more flat (singles sold in stores are very curved at the top).

I just got around to taking them out of the white box. They have no stickers on or inside the packages.There was one sticker at one end of the box that the set of 4 came in but that’s it. And the card backs aren’t all flat…..really tight fit in the white box but pretty much no damage to the cards save for a small nick on the corners.

I eventually found Splinter, Shredder, Bebop, Rocksteady, Foot, Krang and Leatherhead and they have the white sticker on the outside of the packaging.
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 11:17 AM   #86
mikey0
Foot Elite

The Classic Villains 4-Pack is back up on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BMW82DZ7
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 04:27 PM   #87
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran The Man View Post
I think the "Mutatin' Turtles" have already started showing up at Target. A guy I follow on Instagram recently bought "Mutatin' Leonardo".
I saw that too.

Box in-hand photos of Mutatin’ Leo: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqzfotEuw9B/

Box in-hand photos of Mutatin’ Raph: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqz1cMqOG0d/
Old 04-23-2023, 04:47 PM   #88
Bran The Man
Thug

Yeah, those are one I saw! Any ideas on how much these might end up being?
Bran The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:23 PM   #89
Roseangelo
Emperor

None of these vintage figures are even hard to find or expensive. I don't understand the appeal of these at all.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:42 AM   #90
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
None of these vintage figures are even hard to find or expensive. I don't understand the appeal of these at all.
I don't either.

And in addition to what you've said above, there is no collecting clout in owning them either when you can hunt down the vintage pieces themselves. I hate re-issues of vintage molds. It generally appeals to the worst consumer mentality.

Now on the other hand, if Playmates was releasing new figures in the same art direction as the old molds as a decades old compliment to the vintage line? That would be awesome.....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:44 PM   #91
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Now on the other hand, if Playmates was releasing new figures in the same art direction as the old molds as a decades old compliment to the vintage line? That would be awesome.....
Now THAT would be amazing... but I don't know if Playmates would ever do that. It kinda seemed like they were going to do that with their new Star Trek figures, only for it to turn out that they're in a completely different scale from the vintage Star Trek figures despite having a very similar aesthetic. The difference was that they're half an inch bigger, which is big enough of a difference to be irritatingly noticeable and small enough to be pointless as an "upgrade".

Similarly, they did the same thing with their Last Ronin figure, though I think I can give the benefit of the doubt about that one at least not intended to be vintage style? I dunno.

But, ya, if Playmates ever DID make new TMNT figures that were both in scale with AND in the same aesthetic of the vintage toys, I'd be all over that in an instant.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 06:53 PM   #92
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I hate re-issues of vintage molds. It generally appeals to the worst consumer mentality.
I've been collecting vintage Star Wars in the last year+, which have also had reissues. Even with those I'm only grabbing actual new figures, even those some of the vintage are a bit more expensive.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 07:24 PM   #93
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
Now THAT would be amazing... but I don't know if Playmates would ever do that. It kinda seemed like they were going to do that with their new Star Trek figures, only for it to turn out that they're in a completely different scale from the vintage Star Trek figures despite having a very similar aesthetic. The difference was that they're half an inch bigger, which is big enough of a difference to be irritatingly noticeable and small enough to be pointless as an "upgrade".

Similarly, they did the same thing with their Last Ronin figure, though I think I can give the benefit of the doubt about that one at least not intended to be vintage style? I dunno.

But, ya, if Playmates ever DID make new TMNT figures that were both in scale with AND in the same aesthetic of the vintage toys, I'd be all over that in an instant.
I will say that I did buy the first wave of those Trek toys.... surprisingly good sculpts as far as Playmates are concerned. I'd love to get into the new Super7 stuff, but I just can't buy into their price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I've been collecting vintage Star Wars in the last year+, which have also had reissues. Even with those I'm only grabbing actual new figures, even those some of the vintage are a bit more expensive.
YEeessss..... awesome. I have too, but only the new sculpts. And I am all-in for the those new Indiana Jones Kenner-style releases. That is like a dream come true for me
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 07:40 PM   #94
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

I like these for a couple of reasons. One, the vintage card backs. I know you can hunt down the originals but for 10 bucks (Walmart, Target these are 12 bucks each)….why not? Lol
These are cheaper alternatives to the Originals so you I’m good with that…..save for Bebop’s white nose but the rest have solid paint jobs. I don’t open these so as a set (The Shell Storage, Splinter and 6 Villains) they display pretty well.

For me it was the price that got me good. If these were say, 15-16 each, I probably would’ve passed on them but 10 dollars each for a figure, accessories and solid paint job…..I’m sold.

Now I’m not all in on all of the Playmates remakes. I passed on the Giant Turtles since they are 25 each and I still have the Originals (plus Bebop, Rocksteady and Krang) sealed in box. And the 6 inch classics are tempting but passed on those as well. And I do have quite of a lot of the Originals sealed but sadly none of the Storage Shells, Splinter, Shredder, Bebop, Rocksteady, Foot, Krang and Leatherhead so these cheap remakes sort of fill a hole in my collection.
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:03 AM   #95
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Yep, for $10-$12 apiece I don't see how anyone can have a problem with these. You can't get the vintage figures complete and loose for that, let alone MOC. Personally I'm only grabbing figures that I don't have at all and don't really like enough to pay the vintage prices like the Heroes set. But I still think it's cool these exist and hope they continue long enough to get to some real heavy hitters like the Universal Monsters or Scratch.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:40 PM   #96
DonnieLaForge
Mad Scientist

Thanks for the followup on the condition of your case of reissues. I feel like so far from what I've seen the case may be that Walmart requested the stickers. I don't think I've seen them at Target. Still a weird kinda mystery! I ended up finding all the storage shells without stickers and returned the ones I had gotten that had them inside the bubble.

The vintage reissues scratch my itch for that nostalgic packaging without the extreme prices of mint carded originals. Meanwhile I also have most of the vintage figures except a few grails, opened up loose with all their accessories so I can play with them as God intended. But I am not paying $100+ for something MIB/MOC that I will never be able to open when I can pay $10-20 instead. Very happy that finally they are duplicating to an acceptable level the original card fronts and backs, I also have every other reissue and they all were disappointing in that regard so these are now the gold standard for reissues.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 06:39 AM   #97
Ninjinister
無問題

What is that body for April?
Old 05-04-2023, 08:03 AM   #98
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
What is that body for April?
It’s from the 1991 April.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:25 AM   #99
Ninjinister
無問題

It looks way different, might just be the resolution
Old 05-04-2023, 11:41 AM   #100
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
It looks way different, might just be the resolution
The orange and blue pinstriped pockets are gone.