The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 03-09-2023, 04:43 AM   #81
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Now Splinter has glasses too?

Uh-oh. Will he be Seth Rogen’s self-insert character?
Jackie Chan, evidently.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:19 AM   #82
Reputator
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I think it's their best figure lineup since the 2012 series launch. So, that's pretty good.

While we see Playmates once again recycling most of the same ideas they keep using time and time again anytime they launch a new turtle line... it seems to be working for them so what can ya do.

At least these are NEW figures, with new tooling and a different look... i'm so sick of seeing them re-releasing old figures (often with worse paint and accessories than the originals YUCK) that I'm pretty happy with what I see here.

The giant turtles look AMAZING this time around. I don't usually buy the giant ones... but it's tempting.
Yeah the giants look pretty good! Even have knee articulation!

I like that they still have the same $10 price point for the basic figs. I think that's commendable given the trends we're seeing nowadays.

I also really like the two cycle vehicles. Anything trash-built (junkpunk?) is an iconic TMNT aesthetic that I think past iterations miss the mark on (I'm looking at you 03 Turtles).
Old 03-09-2023, 02:52 PM   #83
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

After the Rise toy designs were so shoddy looking imo, I'm really glad to see these toys look like Playmates put a ton of effort into a nice looking line.

Will prob use self control and stick with the basic Leo... and maybe Donnie...or the whole team? But that big Leo is sure tempting.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 05:57 PM   #84
Reputator
Foot Soldier

I wonder what's going on with the McFarlane Toys stuff. All of a sudden these Playmates toys started showing up, when last I heard they weren't doing the licensed toys for the movie. These images came out of the blue.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:13 PM   #85
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Not familiar with them, but it looks like they're another that does collectables? I really wouldn't have thought a "kids movie" would get that, but maybe they're handling a collectables set for Nick just to jump on that train that has been NECA and others so busy spitting out figures left and right.

Unless they worked in conjunction with Playmates for design work? Is that even possible for companies to collaborate on stuff like this? Always sort of wondered who Playmates has doing the design work for figures.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-09-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:16 PM   #86
Juicexct
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reputator View Post
I wonder what's going on with the McFarlane Toys stuff. All of a sudden these Playmates toys started showing up, when last I heard they weren't doing the licensed toys for the movie. These images came out of the blue.
That website mistakenly had them listed as Mcfarlane. It it was Playmates the entire time.
Juicexct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:36 PM   #87
Reputator
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicexct View Post
That website mistakenly had them listed as Mcfarlane. It it was Playmates the entire time.
Ohhh ok thanks. That makes sense.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:44 PM   #88
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Skimming the thread, there seems to be a lot of arguing, and I'm worried about adding my own opinions onto this landmine with how defensive people seem to be, but...

I gotta be honest, I don't like any of these designs. For those of you that do, more power to you, and I hope you enjoy these toys and the movie. But I really don't like these designs at all. At most, I think the Turtles themselves look okay, but I can't stand the other characters. But even with the turtles, there's stuff going on that I'm really not into. Mikey's head, in particular, looks like it was squished from the top and bottom by a vice. And I'm so sick and tired of Donatello having nerd glasses just because he's the smart one. I won't go into detail why I don't like the designs for any of the other characters, just that I don't like anything about them. That's my take, and I hope I didn't make a mistake by sharing it.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:56 PM   #89
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Agree on the other characters. I know a kid who will prob be into that fly, but not so much me. Mikey still is odd looking for sure. Donnie... if I do end up getting all basics (if I can even find them in this day and age ), or just him and Leo (since all four gets a bit pricey sad to say), I'll be taking Donnie's glasses off.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:23 PM   #90
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Would definitely purchase the Mutant Mayhem turtles if they were done by NECA. Hope they get to do those within the next couple of years.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:40 PM   #91
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

NECA won’t be touching these. Any “current” movie figures are basically in Playmates wheelhouse.
RaphaelinSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 04:28 PM   #92
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
Skimming the thread, there seems to be a lot of arguing, and I'm worried about adding my own opinions onto this landmine with how defensive people seem to be, but...

I gotta be honest, I don't like any of these designs. For those of you that do, more power to you, and I hope you enjoy these toys and the movie. But I really don't like these designs at all. At most, I think the Turtles themselves look okay, but I can't stand the other characters. But even with the turtles, there's stuff going on that I'm really not into. Mikey's head, in particular, looks like it was squished from the top and bottom by a vice. And I'm so sick and tired of Donatello having nerd glasses just because he's the smart one. I won't go into detail why I don't like the designs for any of the other characters, just that I don't like anything about them. That's my take, and I hope I didn't make a mistake by sharing it.
I also feel that the Turtle designs are okay (they look "amphibious"), not much else actually. I like how they look in motion (ala spider-verse) in the film. Regarding Mikey's head, it seems to fit with his derp depiction from the 2012 Nickelodeon CG series. I always felt they did him dirty as Mike is my favorite Turtle, but I got used to it (at least, it is offset with more heroic portrayals such as Last Ronin).

Don having glasses seems to build on the cliched theme of him wearing goggles in most modern takes. It's a lazy design decision.

If I do get the figures, it will likely be the basic 4 brothers (and, possibly the Pizza Van), but I don't think I have room even for that.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 04:30 PM   #93
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
NECA won’t be touching these. Any “current” movie figures are basically in Playmates wheelhouse.
After the presumed Playmates debacle with Super7, I think NECA will be avoiding anything actively associated with the Playmates toy brands, which is a shame because we will likely never see a vintage-style toy line from NECA (it also explains why NECA has been hesitant about talking openly about the 2K3 show, especially since the toy designs were more closely aligned with the toon).
Old 03-12-2023, 04:35 PM   #94
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
After the presumed Playmates debacle with Super7, I think NECA will be avoiding anything actively associated with the Playmates toy brands, which is a shame because we will likely never see a vintage-style toy line from NECA (it also explains why NECA has been hesitant about talking openly about the 2K3 show, especially since the toy designs were more closely aligned with the toon).
Shame we wont see Neca doing 2K3 figures
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:39 PM   #95
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Well, if like some here are saying, that NECA is unlikely to produce Mutant Mayhem figures in the future, then I hope another top class company like Mezco does then. Cannot rely on Playmates for good quality action figures.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:55 PM   #96
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icegaze View Post
Well, if like some here are saying, that NECA is unlikely to produce Mutant Mayhem figures in the future, then I hope another top class company like Mezco does then. Cannot rely on Playmates for good quality action figures.
I was kinda hoping McFarlane would do them because they make pretty good figures for the price point, but it seems like they were accidentally conflated with Playmates (I still hope they can do Injustice Turtles!), but the only other company that would make sense is Revoltech.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:15 PM   #97
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I don't know how the leaks somehow got McFarlane in the mix, very crazy how that happened. It would be interesting to see how they would translate the turtles to their style, but hey, having fewer turtles to tempt me just helps my wallet, so I don't really care about missing out on those.

I think going heavy on MUTANTS as a theme for this movie and toy line will really help it cause boys love that kind of stuff.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:34 PM   #98
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Ngl the figures look not too bad. I see ooze & baby turtles with the playset, hopefully we get ooze canisters with baby turtles

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276

Last edited by TheCanadiandrome; 03-14-2023 at 05:46 PM.
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:32 PM   #99
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Primer View Post
Ray and Mondo are coming in the Summer and Spring of 2024 respectively, according to this email I got from Playmates:

Feels weird that they're coming so late (with April in Jan. 2024), but shows that the line will have longevity at least.
This was cool - it felt so old school. Normally this information is online and some "news announcement" by a toy website. But you wrote the company and old-school-style they told you their plans and to hang-on for it. Pretty funny....

I imagine some kid in the 90's writing Playmates - "Are you ever going to release a mutant dog?" and Playmates writes back with a photocopy picture of the upcoming dog character or something like that.....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:14 PM   #100
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
This was cool - it felt so old school. Normally this information is online and some "news announcement" by a toy website. But you wrote the company and old-school-style they told you their plans and to hang-on for it. Pretty funny....

I imagine some kid in the 90's writing Playmates - "Are you ever going to release a mutant dog?" and Playmates writes back with a photocopy picture of the upcoming dog character or something like that.....
As a kid, I twice sent Playmates letters and drawings with ideas for figures. Both times they replied with a "thank you but we haven't reviewed your submissions" form letter. I still have those around somewhere.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote