The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 03:39 AM   #701
Chris
Mad Scientist

I really like the look of Leo. If nothing else I'm leaning towards getting a set of the turtles from this line.

Bebop looks good for the most part (not 100% sold on the face)

Shredder - expected, but never been a fan of the topless look

Mutagen Man looks good but isn't a character I'd be interested in at Super 7 prices.

Honestly though, I think they've done this to try and keep momentum going on the line. Resin sculpts without articulation cuts and a delivery date over a year away. If we're being honest these didn't need to go up from pre-order yet. With that release date they could easily have waited until wave one shipped or they had closer to final samples for wave 2 to show.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:59 AM   #702
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

These are pricey, they feel redundant (almost too close to the originals), but they look very good. I'll likely stick with it until all 4 turtles are released. Beyond that, I'm not sure. I imagine we'll already have the TMNT, Shredder, Splinter, Bebop and Rocksteady, April, Casey, Baxter, Mutagen Man, Foot Soldier, and Krang. That accounts for 14 of 16 that will have been released.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:40 AM   #703
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
You talk a lot about my dick. That's twice in one day. something on your mind guy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Jesus Christ, the topic is now my dick. Nobody cares about the stupid toys anymore. It's all about the Tommy D.
This is a thread about Super7's 7" action figure line, This isn't the place to talk about your willy, it's not appropriate.

Maybe do it in a Micro Mutants thread instead, buddy.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:46 AM   #704
mikey0
Foot Elite

Ultimate Raphael is the best turtle of this line so far.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:50 AM   #705
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Ultimate Raphael is the best turtle of this line so far.
For me it's Leo. But if S7 gives us a more toy accurate Shredder head where the eyebrows are sculpted over the brim of the helmet like the 1988 figure, he's be the clear winner just on the entertainment side.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #706
AquaParade
Banned

I'll probably end up getting one turtle, hold on to it for a couple years until the appeal of shelf space outweigh it, then pass it down to my nephew.

Thus is the cycle for most figures I buy these days, rare as it is. I agree they look expensive for the value, which is one reason to only dip my toe in, but the paint apps look really nice and there is something goddamn huggable about those turtle figs.

If I'm really impressed, I may end up buying another random character with an appealing design, like mutagen man, but it's not probable.

It's funny - part of me thinks I prefer the toon figures that Neca is doing, if I were to give a rough comparison, but these still appeal to me more at the moment. Maybe because I know I wouldn't feel compelled to own all four, quite honestly. Can't think of another explanation.

And props to everyone keeping their cool in here. No need to act petty over figures. I think some people are over-invested and highly concerned with which figures will survive the market, but even so, get a grip.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #707
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Yikes, I saw there were three new pages of posts and I got all excited. Aaaaand it's mostly childish bickering. Grow up, kids. You know who you are.

That release date really is crazy. As much as I'd like to support this line I'm really not sure I can justify it because of three reasons
  • The extremely long production schedule.
  • The high price when compared to NECAs also-awesome line
  • The fact that I already own these figures, more or less

I've got three figures from wave 1 preordered. Having them in-hand will probably ultimately determine whether or not I keep my preorder for this wave. Or I guess it's possible that I'll see some wave 1 reviews first and just cancel my preorder altogether. I just wish the NECA figures were easier to get, that would make this decision a lot easier!
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #708
SilverNinja
Foot Soldier

So far I'm really enjoying the look of the upgraded Playmates line...to an extent.

I'm only planning on collecting the main characters (4 turtles, Splinter, Shredder, Foot Soldier, Casey, April...and possibly getting an Ace Duck and Scratch if those were to ever be released). Yes, this line is crazy expensive and I have yet to see if it's worth it, but I like that we are getting so many random ass things to pick and choose from. Clearly NECA has got the best licensing deal with screen-accurate OG animated series characters and movie characters. I'm not crazy about Super7's Reaction figures because...well they're expensive display pieces at best. These 7" Ultimates are fun to just pick and choose random characters and I dig the variety they are putting out. I'm skipping on Baxter, Mutagen Man and Bebop just because they're not musts for me.

As for the Shredder eyebrow figure, it's totally hilarious and totally depicts the Playmates Shredder since his eyebrows are painted on there as well. I never liked the smushed Playmates figure and it was awkward and weird to play with as a kid. Like here comes somersaulting Shredder! That crouch pose was just so lame and kids never just displayed things...well I sure didn't. I am psyched to finally own a standing Shredder in the OG Playmates style. While it might be a waste to some, I'm all in for this one and the Foot. They finally won't look like they're awkwardly hobbling to a chiropractor.
SilverNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #709
Chris
Mad Scientist

Looks like the release date has been changed to Fall/Winter 2020.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #710
frank_one
Mad Scientist

This second wave looks amazing, except for Mutagenman: he looks identical to the vintage figure, just in a bigger scale, not a real improvement, so what's the point in adding him to this "ultimate" line?

My other complains:
- I appreciate the effort in offering a second head for some figures but, so far, I just don't like them. The turtles' alternative heads for Raph and Leo don't match the style of the original figures, it's just a "random second head". Shredder's alternative head is a joke: I get the reference, but it looks even more odd than the original, it's a parody. I would rather go without these alternative heads and pay a little less.
- Leo's belt. Those silver touches and the leather like material make it strange.

Everything else is great!
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:12 PM   #711
mikey0
Foot Elite

I wish Super7 would have stayed with the 80s colorful brick packaging. The new bricks remind me too much of the Castle Grayskull bricks for the MOTU Classics packaging.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #712
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

here's my thoughts on each figure (copy paste from another forum):

Mutant Man.
He's a quirky figure I don't really have a nostalgic feeling for, as I never had him as a kid and got him like back in 2010-11 when most of my collection was bought. The S7 figure is neat and looks like the vintage figure with better paint and articulation so that's good as that's the purpose of the line. I hope his gun gets some paint, give us some different yellows/golds or metal to showcase different parts of the gun. I don't think we'll get two guns as it's not a part of the rack, although they could incorporate a gun onto the rack since Baxter gets a weapons rack when the vintage figure didn't. He's the weakest of the four if I had to grade them, but a nice addition, although him being in the roster my theory that the 5 waves will include the 1988 and 1989 Basic figures is no longer holding water.

Bebop.
I really dig B&R toy designs and this bebop did not disappoint, the pink spray on the face hopefully looks better in final, but besides that I'm very pleased. It would be nice with a extra set of hands since the Turtles gets 3 sets.

Shredder.
Shredder have room for improvements, I expect him to get a torso joint when everyone else gets it in S7 other lines (wrestlers/TCats/Conan). I think his vintage style head could use some work. I like the idea, but not the execution. Firstly it's the same head repainted, like the Turtles gets unique sculpted extra head, why not Shredder. I don't care for the skin paint going over the helmet, but rather the sculpted bushy eyebrows 1988 Shredder had that went out and over the helmet, that's 1988 Shredder (to me at least). And give us a head that invokes the vintage figure with big bushy eyebrows poking over the helmet then just repainting the standard head, cause the vintage repaint looks weird even on a vintage homage point of view. You can still see the real eyebrows going under the helmet while fake brows are painted on the helmet. I also hope the armor gets a metallic shine or something to show that; yes it's blue but it is metal armor. And maybe a extra shirt since the cape was tucked into the belt on the vintage figure making it look more like a weird open chested tunic/robe then a cape.

Leonardo.
The only thing I don't like about Leo is the same with Raph and that's the overly detailed rings on the carapace scutes, I'd prefer a smoother shell like the vintage figure, or make the scute rings more subtle. But besides that I love that they fixed his sad eyes on the vintage head, I love that they give him curved swords, cause there's no such thing as a straight-edged ninja-to, and the tsuka seems even long enough for two-handed grip. I do wish they had gone the extra step and give us proper sword lengths as well as twin katana isn't a thing either, dual wielding would be with either two short swords or a longsword and a shortsword (katana & wakizashi). But I can fix that myself with the one time the weapons rack is actually useful, providing extra swords.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #713
ToSte
Hench Mutant

I'm surprised nobody has complained about the shoulder straps going under the shell...
ToSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #714
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToSte View Post
I'm surprised nobody has complained about the shoulder straps going under the shell...
I'm not concerned about that as the teaser showing Leo's back head shows the strap bits going over the carapace.

Spoiler:

That'd be like complaining about Shredder's lack of elbow joints when you can see where the joints are supposed to be in his elbows on the prototype.

The right side of Raph's belt is also missing, which I doubt will be the case on the final figure
Old 02-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #715
frank_one
Mad Scientist

When is the first wave supposed to be released?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #716
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
When is the first wave supposed to be released?
2nd Quarter 2020
Old 02-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #717
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
2nd Quarter 2020
That won't happen. It took a whole year plus to get the last Club Grayskull wave
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #718
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

That's the estimate BBTS have given. Might be right might be off, we'll know when the product arrives.

The last Club Grayskull was in the Mattel taking the license back, so there might have been some delays on that part.

But I can see Conan, Wrestlers or TMNT be pushed to 3rd Quarter as all three are estimated for 2nd by BBTS and the ThunderCats wave 2 are for 4th Quarter
Old 02-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #719
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I don't understand the people complaining, it's meant to be based on the original toyline, in fact I actually think Shredder should be more of a hunchback instead of actually standing straight up. I mean if they're going to be accurate to the toyline they might as well be accurate completely.

If you want cartoon style figures get the NECA line, why do we need two lines that are doing the same thing? I was happy Super7 changed the original idea to one just based on the vintage toyline which even if based on the OT is clearly different.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:19 PM   #720
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I don't understand the people complaining,.... I was happy Super7 changed the original idea to one just based on the vintage toyline which even if based on the OT is clearly different.
S7 got the TMNT license. Great. And instead of using any of the other 5trillion turtle designs from the last 35 years, they remake playmates, who recently re released exactly the same thing. They also made crappy reaction figs.

Maybe some of us were hoping they’d aim higher.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote