The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you glad Viacom/Nick bought TMNT?
I'm glad they did 40 52.63%
I'm glad NOW they did, but I wasn't beforehand 8 10.53%
No, not glad 12 15.79%
I was glad at first, now I'm not glad 13 17.11%
It is INFURIATING! 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #61
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
although there is limits to even us nu fans as to what we'll accept. and we can generally all agree to hate on PD and NT TNM .
No sure about Platinum Dunes.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's kind of funny, in less than a decades time since Nick bought the franchise, we're already had 4 new universes/reboots:

- IDW TMNT

- Nick TMNT

- Platinum Dunes TMNT

- Rise of the TMNT

We've already gotten 4 new TMNT universes and reboots in just 9 years. It's pretty surprising when you think about it, so they've basically allowed 4 different visions of TMNT to exist under their brand.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #63
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's kind of funny, in less than a decades time since Nick bought the franchise, we're already had 4 new universes/reboots:

- IDW TMNT

- Nick TMNT

- Platinum Dunes TMNT

- Rise of the TMNT

We've already gotten 4 new TMNT universes and reboots in just 9 years. It's pretty surprising when you think about it, so they've basically allowed 4 different visions of TMNT to exist under their brand.
I mean not really, during the 1st decade of the TMNT franchise we already had 4 incarnations of the turtles not counting videogames.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #64
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

- IDW TMNT

- Nick TMNT

- Platinum Dunes TMNT

- Rise of the TMNT

1. That's a comic.
  2. That's a children's cartoon.
  3. That's a live-action movie series.
  4. That's another children's cartoon.

They tackle different markets and mostly ran parallel, so it's not that shocking. If you're wondering why none of them were continuations of their respective predecessors, allow me to answer with a second list:
  1. A rebbot was expected.
  2. A reboot was expected.
  3. A reboot was expected.
  4. And yes, even less than a year later, a reboot was expected.

This really isn't noteworthy.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #65
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I have some nostalgic love for much of the Archie series. I like about... 70% of the first movie. 25% of the fourth one. I liked the first 6 issues of IDW. I like the first NES game. Turtles Forever was a lot of fun.
I thought you liked the 2012 series?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #66
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
I thought you liked the 2012 series?
Yeah, a lot of it is pretty funny.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:35 AM   #67
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
[LIST=1]This really isn't noteworthy.
It's part of TMNT, everything starts, gets cancelled and then rebooted (except Mirage comics). Compare to some other comics, like superman, who ran for decades before being rebooted.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 AM   #68
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
It's part of TMNT, everything starts, gets cancelled and then rebooted (except Mirage comics). Compare to some other comics, like superman, who ran for decades before being rebooted.
Like I said, not noteworthy.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:02 AM   #69
Shiro Kame
Foot Clan Mutant Renegade

NO.

TMNT 2012 waned in quality after season 1. TMNT 2003 waned in quality in season 3, picked up steam in Season 4, and then waned in quality during the fifth/lost season.

This new show messes up the formula of TMNT overall and has crappy designs for the characters. If they didn't do okay the first time, what makes you think they'll do good this time.

Plus this is VIACOM, the same company who false-flags videos just for reviewing their crap, put Fairly Odd Parents and Spongebob through years-long seasonal rot, canned Invader Zim before it finished, and wrote that inferior sequel to Avatar, The Legend of Korra.

Shiro Kame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:16 AM   #70
CyberCubed
Overlord

Season 3 was one of the best seasons in 2k3, you thought it waned there? Season 5 had the magical aspect that wasn't for everyone but it wrapped up all the plotlines of the show well. And the last two seasons were weaker but FF had a lot of good eps/concepts and villains.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #71
Overlord

Quote:
Season 3 was one of the best seasons in 2k3, you thought it waned there? Season 5 had the magical aspect that wasn't for everyone but it wrapped up all the plotlines of the show well. And the last two seasons were weaker but FF had a lot of good eps/concepts and villains.
In general, fans agree seasons 1-4 of the 4 Kids series are OK. After that, opinions differ.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #72
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

I am glad the sale occurred, I think it opened up a lot of possibilities for the IP, ensuring a future fan base and loads of new merchandise. And there are a lot of great positives out of it.

-We still have one of the co-creators involved in the Franchise. Volume 4 & Tales Vol 2 were under Peter's control/eye, nice to have Eastman get another opportunity to influence and offer input on a New Direction of TMNT stories and Universe. Laird can still play in the Vol 4 Sandbox if he so desires. So we still can have a best of both worlds should Laird wish to continue his vision.

-IDW has given us loads of reprinted material of the original Mirage comics, getting deluxe format collections into fans hands New & Old. For those saying "yes that was going to happen with Dark Horse," couple of things:

1) With that 50/50 Deal, Dark Horse would have to move a lot of product for that venture to be financially viable for them. I fear that halfway through reprinting the series they'd quit because sales started to decline. This is a very common issue with Publishers that undertake "deluxe" reprint initiatives, the series gets discontinued halfway through, or ends up having to change hands to be completed. The risk of that increases when they'd be making less margin. Nick/IDW this is less of an issue, as Nick has their $60 million cost to re-coop and profit on, and IDW is already paying a licensing fee that they need to re-coop, it is in their interest to "flood the market" if you will with low cost product to re-coop those costs. That's typically why we get multiple versions/price points of each product. I suspect when the Archie TPB series finishes up, they'll wait a few years and then release a more deluxe, higher quality set of collections that includes all of the tie-ins.

2) Look at some of the Dark Horse hardcover collections and compare them to their IDW counterparts, typically IDW's offering is better. Dark Horse's total botching of the Conan the Barbarian Newspaper Strip collection comes to mind. Terrible scans, errors and missing strips, all wrapped up in an expensive "deluxe" package that retailers were stuck with.

-Being owned by Nick makes the path to new cartoons a lot shorter. You no longer have multiple outside firms that you're trying to iron out deals with, you essentially have a one-step fast track process to get a new Animated series green lit and into production, with a Network to stick it on where you get to control premium time slots and visibility.

-Nick also has a significant financial vested interest in ensuring the property continues to exist. If the franchise had stayed with an aging Peter Laird, and he lost complete interest, or God forbid, something happened to him, TMNT could cease to exist or be tangled up in a legal purgatory for years with nothing new for fans, effectively killing it off.

-Laird did not like the Image series. We would not have gotten it reprinted or finished if it stayed with him. Nick agreeing to release it speaks volumes. I think they have come to the realization that there always has been, and always will be, a place in the market for a more mature take on the Turtles. It seems now that they are willing to offer product and media on both ends of the spectrum, for a wide variety of audiences, and make their product visually and tonally different to accommodate those audiences.

-The 2 New Movies are garbage. I think the decision to let Bay take the rains was purely done by looking at the financial success of the Transformers Franchise under his direction. Blame that one on audiences flocking to theaters to watch garbage Transformers films and convincing Hollywood that we'll take whatever crap they hock our way. Hopefully they've learned their lesson and will change their approach next time. Without Nick's backing/ownership, a good TMNT movie could have been made with Laird/Richarson overseeing it, and it despite being great may not have performed (Dredd comes to mind as an example), and that could have killed any future hopes of a film franchise or subsequent movies. I think people underestimate the marketing aspect of films, and a movie that doesn't hvae a big corporate push behind it just isn't going to be able to compete with the visibility of say a Marvel or Star Wars movie. Nick's backing ensures a larger budget and more butts in seats (even on a poor product), and should it "fail," their backing also ensures that more product and reboots coming, even if something doesn't meet critical or financial expectations.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #73
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

It's definitely better than DC or Marvel owning the IP. Though I say this as someone who's rather iffy on how both companies are handling their properties in comics and certain media as well as not wanting the turtles to be heavily associated with either brand aside from a few crossovers like the Batman one.

Aside from the PD films and Viacom's emphasis on FW merchandise, everything else is just fine. Having the Image comics get a small revival made me excited and shocked, so I'll definitely be picking that up. I guess my best answer is that I'm content with it.

Although I do wonder what it'd be like if Laird had sold it to another comic book company like Dark Horse or Image (the latter of which seems pretty adamant about).
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #74
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Viacom's emphasis on FW merchandise
This may be toned down now, when the Nickelodeon series is over.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #75
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
This may be toned down now, when the Nickelodeon series is over.
LOL, nope!
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #76
Tortuglio
Thug

I totally agree with Metropoliskid41, great answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropoliskid41 View Post
Laird can still play in the Vol 4 Sandbox if he so desires. So we still can have a best of both worlds should Laird wish to continue his vision.
I was amazed that no one else brought this up. Laird can still make TMNT related comics, how's that been working out all these years? I think we have to realise that for the time being, he is not interested in dealing with the franchise, so it was an intelligent move selling it, as to not fade away. As Metropoliskid41 said:

Quote:
-Nick also has a significant financial vested interest in ensuring the property continues to exist. If the franchise had stayed with an aging Peter Laird, and he lost complete interest, or God forbid, something happened to him, TMNT could cease to exist or be tangled up in a legal purgatory for years with nothing new for fans, effectively killing it off.

Quote:
Hopefully they've learned their lesson and will change their approach next time.
Apparently, they haven't. If i'm not mistaken, Bay is still producing a possible third movie, not related to the other two.
Tortuglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #77
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

"Glad" isn't really the right word, you really should have had an "I'm okay with it" option.

I picked "Glad" in the poll because, I am very glad that we got all these Mirage reprints (not to mention Archie reprints, regardless of quality). The original version is now so much easier to collect then it's ever been, and I think that's something to be happy about. (Mirage/Dark Horse versions would have been fine too, but who knows if that would have panned out?)

And, I've enjoyed the Nick TMNT show and what I've read so far of IDW TMNT, so I think we've gotten some decent TMNT media out of it. (Though I like 4Kids better than Nick, and Mirage and Archie more than IDW).

"Rise" isn't exactly my idea of "good TMMT" but it's an amusing enough cartoon and seems pretty harmless. It has it's funny moments.

"BayTurtles" is kinda "meh" but it came and went without doing any real "damage".

Now, I do hate the fact that what were once characters independently owned and overseen by one of their original creators are now owned by a big faceless company. TMNT being a creator owned IP was always part of it's appeal and inspiring to me as an indie cartoonist. Plus, Peter Laird had pretty good taste it what should and shouldn't happen in TMNT adaptations (Utrom Shredder aside).

But, don't forget it was his decision to sell it, and he did so because he got burned out on running TMNT. If he didn't sell it, he probably would have just sat on the property forever, and we likely would not have any new TMNT content or even reissues of old content (unless the Dark Horse deal went through).

Also, hanging on to the rights to publish a certain amount of Mirage TMNT comics a year was a clever way to "have his cake and eat it too". This way he can still do a Volume 4 issue once in awhile, when he feels like it. And, if he ever wanted to "unretire" he could always do Vol. 4 regularly or reopen Tales Vol. 2 if he so desired. I think the reason IDW doesn't make many new Mirage continuity books is to avoid stepping on Peter's toes. In a way, he still "owns" the part of TMNT that matters the most to him.

So, yeah. I'd call it a "mixed blessing". There's good and bad parts of it, but over all, I'm okay with it.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #78
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I'd say it's been a worthwhile purchase. TMNT 2012 isn't to my taste at all but it was very successful. Rise gets slightly better whenever it focuses on the myth arc and not the overly comedic filler, and the IDW comics are pretty solid.

It's faired better this decade than a lot of other franchises. Especially Power Rangers.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #79
Leo656
The Franchise

We've definitely seen the franchise's brightest days, but the worst is assuredly still to come.

That's what worries me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #80
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
We've definitely seen the franchise's brightest days, but the worst is assuredly still to come.

That's what worries me.
Worse than Rise and Platinum Dunes movies?

Seriously? How could it get worse? How are we not already in the Worst Case Scenario?

Tags
plastron goes quiet