The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 09:27 PM   #101
Leo656
The Franchise

I must be the only person alive who was completely underwhelmed by The Matrix.

I know I've seen parts of 2 and 3, but I've seen the first one a couple'a times and it just never left any impression on me. No idea why. I like Keanu Reeves and everything, I'unno.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #102
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

I know I've seen parts of 2 and 3, but I've seen the first one a couple'a times and it just never left any impression on me. No idea why. I like Keanu Reeves and everything, I'unno.
I haven't watched those movies since the HD-DVD of high def - so... over a decade at least. Sometimes I wonder how they are holding up.

But I won't rebuy them on 4k now because there's a new movie coming out. Might as well wait for the "newest and greatest" boxed sets with that release, lol!

I hate double dipping nowadays. I've done it so many times in my life that I don't owe these people anymore unnecessary buying....

-rant over, sorry-
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:18 PM   #103
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
God, why do women age so poorly while Keeanu Reeves is like ageless.
Keanu doesn't look so great without a beard anymore (see: Bill & Ted 3 pics).
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #104
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
That's in the first film IIRC mentions that the world stays in the apex of human civilization which was of course the present day (1999 or generic 90s?) I don't believe the sequels contradict this and yeah before the world goes too far into the future when they start inventing stuff like robots or AI etc is when the one reboots the Matrix back to the original pique of humanity which is explained in reloaded or revolutions., but I'm betting this will take place in the present 2020 because: **** it.

I actually wrote about my thoughts on a Matrix 4 reboot here, and I mostly feel the same way.
I assume in Matrix world humanity never made it to smartphones. The machines have already taken over . For all we know the Y2K bug started the Matrix.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #105
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I watched the trilogy like 4 years ago, the original holds up extremely well. Second one has its good things and bad things, third one is ok, not a bad action movie but a bad matrix movie. Ending is bad as are most of the revelations.

Yes the game continued the storyline. I still think a Matrix reboot should be without Keanu and the rest.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #106
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
I watched the trilogy like 4 years ago, the original holds up extremely well. Second one has its good things and bad things, third one is ok, not a bad action movie but a bad matrix movie. Ending is bad as are most of the revelations.

Yes the game continued the storyline. I still think a Matrix reboot should be without Keanu and the rest.
Ha, I was in college when the 2nd and 3rd movies came out and the hype among most of my friends was fever-pitch. Back then, I even remember the "Into the Matrix" video game being such a big deal in large part because it was supposed to continue the story of the films, and people didn't want to be out of the loop before they saw the films. Uh... there was a lot of disappointment and dashed hopes by the time that 3rd film came out.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #107
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The Matrix was the biggest movie in the early 2000's, it was the new Star Wars basically, but Reloaded wasn't what people expected and when we got Revolutions just a few months later, people just kind of stopped caring about The Matrix, people didn't even trash it, people just kind of stopped caring about the film.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:06 PM   #108
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
The Matrix was the biggest movie in the early 2000's, it was the new Star Wars basically, but Reloaded wasn't what people expected and when we got Revolutions just a few months later, people just kind of stopped caring about The Matrix, people didn't even trash it, people just kind of stopped caring about the film.
I didn't mind the transition of focus across all three movies. In some ways I have some appreciation for the balance created across all three.

The first starts in the Matrix, shifts to the real world and ends in the Matrix.
The second starts in the Matrix but becomes a movie more about the real world
The third starts in the real world, shifts to the Matrix and ends in the real world

There's some trilogy balance there. I always thought the most intriguing was the first but the most fun was the second. The third was good, but somehow... emptier.

I need to sit through them again.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:19 PM   #109
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
That's a good way to describe it. I think the franchise tried to get too smart for its own good, while also trying to go overboard with BIG ACTION; and it just made all the fans say "meh."

Also, millions of Agent Smiths do not make for a greater impression than one truly imposing Agent Smith.

View my sketch work!
Old 02-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #110
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Also, millions of Agent Smiths do not make for a greater impression than one truly imposing Agent Smith.
Kind of seems indicative of the era where suddenly decent quality CGI was readily available. "Wha-hooo! Look what we can do! Let's go all-out!" Unnecessary and a bit soulless.

Like I've said, 2 and 3 could be boiled down into one good Matrix movie, maybe. I haven't seen them in years but even right now I can think of 40-50 minutes between both movies that could easily be cut out at little detriment. By themselves they don't hold a candle to the first one and have tons of fat. 3 is leaner than 2.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #111
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

I think other than the special effects and the infamous bullet time trick, the whole 'questioning your reality' and 'what if we are is a simulation' existential stuff made people feel smart watching the movie.

Plus the internet was still new at the time and the idea of just being able to download martial arts moves into your brain was kinda cool.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #112
CyberCubed
Overlord

Pretty much every show and movie in the early 2000’s ripped off The Matrix’s slow moving gun firing bullet fight scenes. Seriously that was everywhere in the early 2000’s.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #113
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Pretty much every show and movie in the early 2000’s ripped off The Matrix’s slow moving gun firing bullet fight scenes. Seriously that was everywhere in the early 2000’s.
Donatello: ""A bo staff and a crowd of guys who all look the same? Time to try out one of my favorite movie stunts!"
"City at War" Part 1 (March 2004)
https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/..._(2003_episode)

View my sketch work!
Old 02-22-2020, 03:19 AM   #114
Sumac
Banned

Matrix 2 and 3 are not bad movies, but the dialogues are horrible.
It's like a philosophy club at school, where everyone trying to be deep, double meaning and philosophical all the time, without getting what being real philosophical is like.

But as far as action goes, Matrix sequels are amazing.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:27 AM   #115
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Nothing is worse than AVP doing the bullet time facehugger thing. That still makes my blood boil to this day.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #116
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Nothing is worse than AVP doing the bullet time facehugger thing. That still makes my blood boil to this day.
At least they didn't do slow-mo egg planting inside the host...
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:54 AM   #117
Leo656
The Franchise

I remember The Matrix was every stoner's favorite movie back when it was fresh.

"Like DUDE, think about it... we could, like, be IN the Matrix, like... RIGHT NOW, man...!"

I didn't really smoke yet back then, maybe that's why I was underwhelmed.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:03 AM   #118
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I remember when downloading the trailer for Reloaded was all the rage on limewire or whatever it was back in 2001
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #119
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Wrecking havoc in San Francisco:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/fourth-...operty-damage/
Old 02-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #120
AquaParade
Banned

One of those projects that, to me at least, feels like it is happening super fast! Crazy to think a sequel to The Matrix will be out soon. Just conceptually.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote