The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 05-01-2022, 07:19 PM   #241
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://comicbook.com/dc/amp/news/dc...dan-pansexual/

So Grant Morrison thought to fit into the diversity fad going through mass media Hal had to be attracted to anything that moves because of his space patrols and greatest fear...commitment to Carol Ferris.

I follow the hero behind the mantle not the mantle itself and have a preference for what mantle that individual wears. For that reason I bought the Batgirl series from the New 52 and did not continue with Batgirls. The same reason I read from Rebirth through The Green Lantern Season Two.

Also, I did not know sales for Morrison's 27 issue run sold poorly. Thinking Critical suggest the title with Thorne was stopped at 12 issues and had even lower sales.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:04 PM   #242
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Any thoughts on Green Lantern( 2023)#1?
Old 05-16-2023, 04:29 PM   #243
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I just peeked at it. Nice. That's what GL should be doing now. Back to basics and nice character stuff.

But Carol's moved on from Hal? Last I heard (and it was a long time ago now) she was dating Kyle Rayner. And that was after she was MARRIED to someone other than Hal. And speaking of Kyle, everybody but him gets a little backup in the end of the book?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:14 AM   #244
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
But Carol's moved on from Hal?
Doubt it. Her first appearance in the issue sees her biting her lip anxiously when Hal is mentioned by her receptionist, she wants him, but it's going to be complicated like it normally is. She's got a new life, a potential new marriage, and the true love's back in her life. If she wanted a clean break, she wouldn't have rehired him, which she does here.

I trust Carol will be with Hal mid way through the run or before it ends, Jeremy Adams is gaining a bit of a cult reputation as "Mr. Fixit" in DC, he did solid work on Wally West and restored him to how he used to be.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:14 AM   #245
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I just peeked at it. Nice. That's what GL should be doing now. Back to basics and nice character stuff.

But Carol's moved on from Hal? Last I heard (and it was a long time ago now) she was dating Kyle Rayner. And that was after she was MARRIED to someone other than Hal. And speaking of Kyle, everybody but him gets a little backup in the end of the book?
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps ended and Green Lanterns its then sister series went on for a half dozen more issues and Hal was included in it's final arc which saw Hal face off with Cyborg Superman over the rebuilt Coast City. It was a great full circle moment for the character. In the final page Hal dedicated himself to Carol and she accepted him with an embrace, but then Grant Morrison jumps in and remembers any random girlfriend he had in the 70s' before getting back with Carol when he gave the mantle to John in the early to mid 80s'. If you think Bruce and Selina have a will they/won't they to the point of annoyance these two are even worse. I agree with Zarius that Hal and Carol will end up together by say issue 25 or so, but we have the latest fiancee' currently standing in the way.

Hal Jordan really felt true to form and the uncanny resemblance in character to Pete Maverick is blatantly obvious. The only thing is, while Hal stood up to the little blue bosses he quit when The United Planets took over the oversight? That does not seem to fit him, more like stay and force them to let him do as he sees fit, the rebel you cannot expel/fire as proven from past storylines.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:05 PM   #246
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Hal Jordan really felt true to form and the uncanny resemblance in character to Pete Maverick is blatantly obvious.
They even have him say, "Good morning, Aviators."
Old 05-19-2023, 05:36 PM   #247
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
They even have him say, "Good morning, Aviators."
The simulation Hal failed at and showing up an elite younger group of pilots. It makes me wonder if Carol is going to be forced to have Hal lead a team after breaking protocol and saving people without his ring similar to how Maverick played out.

I am hoping the more Earth-based villains not adapted in Johns era will see decades removed panel time.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:53 PM   #248
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Issue 2 solict:
Hal Jordan’s homecoming is off to a rocky start! Carol Ferris is this close to firing him from the job he’s only just begged his way into, his power ring isn’t exactly working right, and off in the shadows, Sinestro, the architect of Hal’s current crisis, is waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

Is it suggesting that Sinestro talked The United Planets into quarantining Earth?

Did anyone else notice that the original solicits stated it was the Guardians of Oa that did so not The United Planets. This must have been a last minute switch in plot. Perhaps it was to get around throwing green lanterns into various different corps in the John Stewart short-lived lead.

Also, this officially sucks, Knight Terrors, I am not going to read is putting a pause on practically everything. It may as well have waited until after this 'event' instead of interrupting it. At least my favorite title, Batman/Superman: World's Finest is allowed to carry on.
Old 06-14-2023, 04:34 PM   #249
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Alright so the second issue will lead into the two part Knight Terrors event. It will basically be the third installment despite having to wait until after Labor Day for issue three.

Hal was in character and made me laugh. It appears that Nathan is like Gil, not Hal, a nice guy who doesn't take off for hero duty. He won't last long. So the threat encountered at the end of the issue is Knight Terrors, is it Nekron or some made up for event baddie?
Old 10-12-2023, 07:32 AM   #250
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Major Disaster makes a cameo attacking Los Angles, I thought he was reformed?

Sinestro has a daughter with Abin Sur's sister, but now has a younger child, a son? What did he do on Kougar that Hal deems unforgiveable? I thought Kouguar was destroyed? There was no issue reference to refer to in this week's #4.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:11 PM   #251
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Ok, this is just sad. The writer is actually BEGGING people to buy his comics just so that he can own Comicsgate

Warning: Language

Some of the comments that I liked:

Spamkromite:
I was staring at the thumbnail for more than 30 seconds and tilted my head in puzzlement. Is he kissing Biden?

glassworktrophic8465:
Does he not recognize the irony in what he's saying? He wants to "prove" to major publishers that there's huge demand for LGBT stories by... begging people to artificially inflate demand? If there were huge demand you wouldn't need to do this. They'd just be selling. That you have to beg is PROOF of the exact opposite. Ugh.

solan7978:
So his motivation to write his comics is NOT to tell a good story, or to please readers, but to vent his spite and bile on people who dare disagree with him politically? Yep, that's definitely the average comic book writer these days; no wonder sales are in the toilet!

supersaiyaisaac3798:
If your whole idea in getting into writing comics is to "own" someone....you shouldn't be surprised if no one, not even the people that might agree with you, don't buy your book.

jjdillon1207:
I cannot fathom how the comic book companies think this stuff is a good idea. It just keeps getting creepier and further away from what people want to be exposed to

smithjoey1985:
It's not superhero fatigue, it's bad movie fatigue. They have great material to choose from. But they choose to make their own story, and it fails.

aeonstar293:
The DC writer unironically calling other people "chuds" when the entire chud meme is about people just like him is so so amazingly sweet

GIBBO4182:
Ryan Reynolds isnt the worst Green Lantern any more...

gamerkingdom1442:
Yeeeeeeah…. NO THANK YOU. This DC “writer” should have thought of making an actual GOOD COMIC BOOK if he wanted sales, rather than pandering to Wokeness.

thtadthtshldntbe:
Alan Scott has 2 adult children who are superheroes, Jade and IIRC Obsidian. His first wife was a superhero too. He then got married to another woman. All of this in the time period JEdgar Hoover would be alive. DC did not even have the sense to make this an alternate reality Alan Scott.. They just retro-gayed Alan Scott. And this writer ignores Alan Scotts powers. He is literally the most powerful Green Lantern. He can literally alter Hoovers mind if he had to.

ddduelist:
DC writer: buy my book!
Me: OK, what's in the book?
DC writer: lgbtq representation!
Me: OK. What else?
DC writer:.....
Me: well?
DC writer: um........lgbtq representation?

och70:
And the writer’s Twitter replies are protected.
He just wants to exist in his rainbow tinted echo chamber. This book isn’t going to sell for ****, but it’ll predictably be the fault all of the “-ists” and “-phobes.”

jcaesar19871:
If you have to beg people to buy something you've made, 100% chance you've made a garbage product.

jrr2480:
The true tragedy is that they forced a change from one of Bill Finger characters that few people know about.

TheSILENTBOB180:
Gives a whole new meaning to his weakness is wood

Optimusj1975:
Good luck with that, Tim Sheridan. I'm more interested about Kevin Eastman doing TMNT again and people saying is great.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:27 PM   #252
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Minor spoiler:
Spoiler:
It seems that Kilowag who has been on Earth with Hal has been dead this whole time and he is a ring construct. Though did Kilowag appear before Hal manifested his current ring? https://screenrant.com/green-lantern...-jordan-fault/

Also as Hal can tap onto any emotional spectrum power Sinestro can do the same as he manifested his own red ring opposed to a yellow one.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 12-18-2023 at 05:25 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:18 AM   #253
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The whole GL situation is pretty depressing. And where is Kyle, even?
Old 12-29-2023, 11:27 AM   #254
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Old 12-30-2023, 11:52 AM   #255
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
People here won't watch that video to let it give them perspective, dude. These people can't even do "source deconstruction" correctly. They'll just say "It's the comicsgate guy, why would I watch him?"

Which of course is more leftist idiocy - to not even be able to parse out agenda-commentary from the facts. The guy literally has the comic open in the video and the pages and panels are right there. And now Alan Scott, DC's oldest Lantern, is a guy who hires gay prostitutes and has "quick sex" with paid men as part of his superhero lifestyle?!

Written by a liberal, a confession of belief systems.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
green lantern