The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-12-2006, 05:26 PM   #21
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo the 2nd View Post
Why was it a shock to you? I would rather say it's a bit confusing, yes., but whatever...even I have got a male name...what's wrong with this?!
because it's shocking when you think some one is a dude and it's a dudet lol
quite a few members who play male characters on are female it's a bit confusing and yes shocking...there is nothing wrong with this..like I said it just comes as a bit of a shock when I thought people where guys lol
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #22
Masked Ninja
Doodles TMNT for fun

Yeah, the "original Turtle" I made up for fun is a guy... as are most of my characters. It's probably because I sucked at drawing females until recently.

I've been confusing people online about my gender for years... and I'm not THAT much of a tomboy.
Masked Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #23
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #24
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
A good many of you pointed out how there are no female heroes to look up to. Not in the animated sense anyways. I dont remember her name, but the detective in Gargoyles would be as close to a female hero that I can think of that was animated. But that's it.
Elisa Maza (who is now on the tv series Eureka) and Goliath's daughter, Angela. Other female heroes: Bulma in Dragonball Z, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Spider-Girl, American Dream, Storm, Rogue....

Anyways...I've found that there are more female fans than male fans for TMNT. Yes some fans do get a wee bit carried away and are a tad bit waaay more obsessed than they should be. Me? I gladly share Raph with the other Raph fan girls. Course Im also a Donatello fan.

As for the other fandomes...Im a major Gargoyles fan and admit to having a thing for Lexington. I've never heard of crazed Venkman fan girls...Im a Slimer fanatic tho.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #25
Warhorse
Emperor

I've been suspecting that female TMNT fans outnumber the male TMNT fans. Maybe we can relate to the different personalities more better then the fellows can?
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #26
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul

I did not like too much girly stuff when I was a kid. I became a fan of TMNT before my brother did. The usual things that I did as a kid were science, horseback riding, playing with my instrument, which was not a typical female-dominant instrument.

Formally known as Scientific freak
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #27
Roseangelo
Emperor

I guess I kinda went back and forth between girl and boy stuff as a kid.

I LOVED Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, etc. But I didn't like Barbie and only got them from people who didn't know what else to give a girl. I also liked He-Man and Transformers. And to this day my favorite sport in the world is baseball.

I can't put a finger on why I latched onto the TMNT in the way that I did, but I know I stuck with them because of the depth of story and characters I eventually found when I found the comic books. Looking back on it, it's still hard to figure the reason I endured so much ridicule in school because of my fandom. Some days it felt like it was simply because I was a girl and TMNT was a "guy's thing." Some days it felt like every one else in the world just hated TMNT. But I was anything but popular before I fell into the fandom, too.

Most of my TMNT friends that I hang out with outside of message boards are female, but I figure that to be because I'm female myself and for us TMNT is a kind of girl talk. What really astonished me most when I started meeting other TMNT fans online was that not only were a lot of them female, but a lot of them were my age or OLDER. Heck, if you consider the group of us that goes to Comic-Con every year, I'm one of (if not the) youngest people there, and I'm 27!

I think it ends up being appealing to so many females because it's NOT just about ninja-ing (which is pretty much what one would assume from the way TMNT has always been marketed). But we love the ninja-ing, too! And yes, some of us also find the guys to be just darn cute.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:31 PM   #28
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned

Before I joined the technodrome forums, that probably would have surprised me. I had never met a single chick who liked TMNT. Of course where I live it's not surprising.
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #29
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific freak View Post
I did not like too much girly stuff when I was a kid. I became a fan of TMNT before my brother did. The usual things that I did as a kid were science, horseback riding, playing with my instrument, which was not a typical female-dominant instrument.
Same here with me playing Sousaphone back in high school, about oh...16 years ago......not many chicks played it when I was, today...I see alot more now!! WOOHOO! TUBA ROCKS!

Guys seem to dig the action of the characters and us chicks are more into the emotional side of TMNT, we find them emotionally attractive and look past the green. Green is a nice color you know

Last edited by Buslady; 12-12-2006 at 11:59 PM. Reason: hi
Buslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:00 AM   #30
Roseangelo
Emperor

I played trumpet in band, which was an instrument that also lacked in girls. Woohoo, brass!
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:03 AM   #31
gobo
Wacky Action

Quote:
Maybe we can relate to the different personalities more better then the fellows can?
I'm trying not to, but I can't help being insulted by this suggestion. But, then again, I played clarinet (or pretended only for one semester). Don't gimme that look! My parents couldn't afford a bass sax for me.

Last edited by gobo; 12-13-2006 at 12:08 AM.
gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:33 AM   #32
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buslady View Post
Green is a nice color you know
yes it's the color of spring and it can be cool and friendly like.
I actully say all my favorite guys are green!
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:19 AM   #33
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
Dude, guy humor.
hahaha, I totally read it wrong, LMAO
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #34
iris
moddy mod mod

Quote:
I've been suspecting that female TMNT fans outnumber the male TMNT fans. Maybe we can relate to the different personalities more better then the fellows can?
I don't think that's true at all.

TMNT appeals to both genders for the same reason that a lot of things appeal to both genders-- because it's good. The characters have distinct personalities, but they're by no means flat characters. They have a human appeal. TMNT is not Chuck Norris. And there's humor, and danger, and just plain ol' good stories. As with the best fiction, it's like life, but better. haha

No, you probably won't notice many female TMNT fans at school. One of the biggest reasons for that is TMNT is considered a Guy thing, so it's "not cool" for girls to like it. It wasn't even cool for girls to watch it when I was little. There are plenty of female sports fanatics, but you don't really see women walking around in shirts emblazoned with the name of their favorite player, do you? Kind of the same deal. And you can add in the fact that there's very little merch made for girls. *shrug*
Old 12-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #35
Aignatius
Hench Mutant

I don't know why I play a male character. He's my primary creation, something from childhood, must be due to social conditioning. I didn't like what girls were supposed to be when I was a kid, so I gravitated more toward what boys did.
I'm sure Dr. Freud would have had a field day with this.

I couldn't in only a few words get into why the TMNT hold so much appeal for me, but I feel like I've known them all my life. It fit into what I was working on, creatively speaking. I made characters similar to them as a kid... I'm just bummed I didn't come up with them first, but then again, knowing my track record for procrastination, the TMNT would still probably be sitting around in some old notebook somewhere. I'm glad somebody who had the gumption to market them as persistently as Eastman and Laird did, was able to make them into what they are today.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #36
METALHEAD
Stone Warrior

that many chick huh? s'cool. i like chatting with chicks then guys- maybe becuase i had alot of friends that are chicks in highschool 4 years ago
METALHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #37
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
I'm trying not to, but I can't help being insulted by this suggestion. But, then again, I played clarinet (or pretended only for one semester). Don't gimme that look! My parents couldn't afford a bass sax for me.
Don't be insulted. I was being a wiseass. Anyways, I'm not sure how guys are wired, but most women I know can possess all of the personality traits of the Turtles. Mostly Raph's though! But sadly, not enough Mikey's out there.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:21 PM   #38
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I played trumpet in band, which was an instrument that also lacked in girls. Woohoo, brass!
YAY I played that too!
Trumpet, trombone, tuba/sousa, baritone(treble), and french horn <--pain in the )(@#*$

BRASS RULE!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:34 PM   #39
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buslady View Post
Same here with me playing Sousaphone back in high school, about oh...16 years ago......not many chicks played it when I was, today...I see alot more now!! WOOHOO! TUBA ROCKS!

Guys seem to dig the action of the characters and us chicks are more into the emotional side of TMNT, we find them emotionally attractive and look past the green. Green is a nice color you know
If we were in the same band, I would be near you. I played a F-attachment trombone, which I still have in my closet. I also played a bass trombone. My brother played the French horn and I would agree, it is a very hard instrument to play.

Formally known as Scientific freak
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #40
BigApple3AM
Mad Scientist

I was thinking about this while I still worked at a toy store. The girls aisle stuff has crap, stuff like bratz... I would never buy that for any kid ever. Talk about bad influences. The worst part is it was one of the most popular toys.

Still there is major double standards when it comes to what girls can like and what guys can like, socially that is.

In my psychology class the teacher said something like how there was a big ruckus about sears showing more boys playing with toys in their magazines than girls and it came down to the fact that if a girl was featured playing with a toy, moms wouldn't buy that toy for their boys, but if it was a boy playing with the toy it didn't matter and would sell for both genders.

Even properties that have universal appeal tend to have males as the protagonists. For example all the pixar movies.
Toy Story - Buzz/Woody
Monsters Inc - mike and something (ike?)
Bugs Life - that bug guy
Cars - Lightning mcqueen
Incredibles - the dad (was featured moreso than the rest of the family)
Ratatouille - patton oswalt's character

I think that's all of them. They may have strong female roles in the films like in cars there's sally, but they're never in the spotlight, and it's because if they had a girl as the main character they would lose the boy demographic, but a guy will attract both sexes.

It's lame but it's true.

That said I'm glad there's a lot of girls into tmnt. Unfortunately I've never met any in real life.
BigApple3AM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags