The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-17-2003, 10:55 PM   #1
NinjaDryCleaners
Mouser

Do people think you're weird for liking the TMNT?

I was talking with my friend the other day and I told him that I downloaded the first ep of TMNT, then he began to laugh and said I was weird. He used to be a fan of the TMNT but now he's so much into anime that he told me that he can't stand to watch old stuff like the TMNT anymore. I'm into anime too and have at least over 200 anime tapes/dvds but I easily got back into watching the TMNT without hesitation. I told a few of my friends that I was getting back into watching the old TMNT and they just seemed to shudder at the fact.

When I found this site, I was suprised to see that so many people were still fans of the show. Now I feel alot better about sharing my fandom for the TMNT.
NinjaDryCleaners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 12:06 AM   #2
Raph
Mad Scientist

Cool man I am a fan since 1988, never stopped liking the TMNT, and since 3 years I also dig Animé.

Friends and people in my area also made fun of me: Turtles are over man!!
When I said the Turtles still exsisted (in Amerika, I live in Holland) they would say :"Yeah right, they still exsist...in your head, haha"

So when I told that the TMNT would return, they were roling over the ground, hehe!!

My close friends believed me ofcourse, and with a bit of convincing that the original comics are more for grown up people, I can still say Im a fan on my 23rd year, and be proud of it, people don't laugh anymore, they even help me if they find something, and they'll buy it.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:50 AM   #3
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul

One of my friends found my collection of Mirage comics and he laughed at me. He said that he could not believe that I still like the turtles. I told him that it is good thing for me to do in my spare time. He also could not believe that I like Renaissance art......he believes the reason behind this is because I like the turtles. However, that is not the case. I like Renaissance no matter if I like the turtles or not.

Formally known as Scientific freak
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 01:15 AM   #4
Leonardo
Mouser

I dont even bother mentioning it to people I know in real life anymore. People around here (Norway) might look at me weirdly cause I like anime, so why bother? I doubt that the new series will come here... but thats why we have broadband >D
Old 02-18-2003, 01:29 AM   #5
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Re: Do people think you're weird for liking the TMNT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaDryCleaners
I was talking with my friend the other day and I told him that I downloaded the first ep of TMNT, then he began to laugh and said I was weird. He used to be a fan of the TMNT but now he's so much into anime that he told me that he can't stand to watch old stuff like the TMNT anymore. I'm into anime too and have at least over 200 anime tapes/dvds but I easily got back into watching the TMNT without hesitation. I told a few of my friends that I was getting back into watching the old TMNT and they just seemed to shudder at the fact.

When I found this site, I was suprised to see that so many people were still fans of the show. Now I feel alot better about sharing my fandom for the TMNT.
Ah... he's what I call a "Nu-Generation" Anime fan... they like anime because it's "Cool" and hate everything american because it's not Japanese... I dislike NG anime fans... THey've taken over the Anime Cons and made us old school anime fans hide from them...

Anyways, Im pretty lucky... All my friends got excited for the new TMNT cartoon when I told them about it. We're not above getting in to the nostalgia of our child hood, and admit liking things like that or GI Joe or He-Man etc...
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 06:45 AM   #6
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator

I know. Thats beacuse majority of people only Know the children's cartoon. But My friends don't think Im weird, I have showed the comics to them, and they know that TMNT is much more than just old kid's cartoon.
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:05 AM   #7
NinjaDryCleaners
Mouser

Re: Do people think you're weird for liking the TMNT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunger_kittie
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaDryCleaners

Ah... he's what I call a "Nu-Generation" Anime fan... they like anime because it's "Cool" and hate everything american because it's not Japanese... I dislike NG anime fans... THey've taken over the Anime Cons and made us old school anime fans hide from them...

Anyways, Im pretty lucky... All my friends got excited for the new TMNT cartoon when I told them about it. We're not above getting in to the nostalgia of our child hood, and admit liking things like that or GI Joe or He-Man etc...
I could always tell my friend that there's a TMNT anime.... but watching that would cause him to dislike it even more..
NinjaDryCleaners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:29 AM   #8
surfingmikey
Random Punk

I have been a fan since at least 87 and I was born in 86 so I have been a fan for most of my life. No one is going to stop my interests in turtle power.
surfingmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:35 AM   #9
Shadow
Hench Mutant

my mom thinks its a little odd...but her and my friends love me for who I am...and if turtles is a part of that then so be it.

I like anime too...and have your friend watch the new show...I would say its pretty anime inspired...it does have to compete with it...in some ways.

Don't be afraid to shell out what you love..."it isn't always easy being green"

Shadow J
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:38 AM   #10
heretic888
Foot Elite

hmmm

do people think im weird for it?? some do, some don't. most that have seen the mirage books (mostly my friends) don't see anything weird or wrong about it. i have noticed that the people that label us 'weird' for liking tmnt tend to be the same kind of people that think its 'weird' to watch adult swim or the like. they just tend to be close-minded to these kinds of things in general.

i really don't worry about it that much.
"Ninpo began as training to become a moral people and to learn to endure in whatever social condition one is in; to know and accept one's fate, and to live for human beings and all other creatures. The person who masters all of these is a Ninja." (Masaaki Hatsumi)
heretic888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:39 AM   #11
HorseTechie
Inactive Moderator

Oh yes... my husband never really accepted the fact I like TMNT and other such geeky comic book things.

He's pretty much your average, hard-nosed guy. Very traditional in beliefs on how women should behave, and how real/tough men should behave. So, for me to be all into comic books and not fashion magazines and soap operas makes no sense. In fact, it embarrasses him.

He's also Korean, so the anime factor is like' big deal'. He's seen it all his life, so he doesn't understand why Americans and most of Europe is all into it now. He also is not found of things Japanese, thus.. it just irks him even more that I like NINJA Turtles. Nevermind the fact the TMNT came from all American authors. There's no turning him.

*sai* At least my familay and the people at work are cool with it. But I pretty much keep my mouth shut in real life about my TMNT interest. Which is funny, cause it's quite alright to be openly fanatic about LotR. Hubby hasn't teased me about that interest as badly as he does the TMNT.

I've been a fan since 1990, and I'm not gonna stop just to make him happy. It ain't a sin, and it's not harmful to one's health like cigarettes and drugs. *snort*
HorseTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:04 AM   #12
Kali
Inactive Moderator

I'm sure some people think I'm weird for liking Ninja Turtles. My family is pretty cool with it, mostly because they all have their little obsessions and they can't really talk.

I don't have many RL friends, but the ones I have think I'm weird no matter what. They have their obsessions too, so they can't talk.

I have no hesitation about wearing my TMNT shirts out in public, or hanging out in the graphic novel section of the book store. No matter what you do, there're going to be people out there who think you're weird for doing it. Some people think I'm weird because I don't wear makeup and refuse to color my hair and wear trashy clothes. I'd rather drool over a weapons catalog than hunky guys. Forget them.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:05 AM   #13
heretic888
Foot Elite

heh

Quote:
I'd rather drool over a weapons catalog than hunky guys. Forget them.
Damn, there go my dreams!!
"Ninpo began as training to become a moral people and to learn to endure in whatever social condition one is in; to know and accept one's fate, and to live for human beings and all other creatures. The person who masters all of these is a Ninja." (Masaaki Hatsumi)
heretic888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:51 AM   #14
PWDESAI
Banned

Yo
It's like retro to like tmnt, so if you were born in the right age group some might even consider it cool. For me, I don't care what they think. I tell my friends I like tmnt, they know, who cares.
PWDESAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 12:52 PM   #15
Domo
Random Punk

In my area the TMNT is considered cool for the simple nastolgia of it. Sure, their aren't many into to the extent that I am, but if the topic comes up, nearly everyone I know would be like, "Yeah TMNT was the **** back in the day! Hell yeah!" or something along those lines. I'm not sure I would flaunt my obssesion in the matter, no more so then a person would present any obseesions that they might have. But no, people dont think its wierd to like the TMNT in my experience.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 06:34 PM   #16
azure turtle
Mango Lovin' Mutant

Hmm... Some people think I'm weird for liking the TMNT, some don't. Whatever. That won't stop me from wearing my TMNT t-shirt in public, or putting posters and action figs in my dorm room.

Want to meet the only blue ninja turtle in existence? Come visit me at my Lair!
azure turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 07:04 PM   #17
Donatello02
Stone Warrior

HorseTechie...I'm gonna guess you know what Kimchi is and you and his mom can't comminucate with each other worth crap. I'm Korean too. Anyway about the turtles...I loved it when I was 3, when the toon first came out and when the first turtles hit the shelves. I lost interest around..uh..well after the fifth line I think, it was a kinda off and on. I just picked it backed up when I heard a new toon was comin out and a new toy line. Some of my friends love the fact that I'm gettin back to them, and my parents are kinda freaked out cause they thought the turtles died out. Ha.

'What ninja weapon did Don get? A stickball bat.
Hey, you can call it a 'bo'. But you can call it a
Ford Tempo too...it's still just a stick.'
Donatello02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 07:07 PM   #18
Donatello02
Stone Warrior

Oh, and yes...most Koreans DO still hold some beef with the Japanese. It's just the culture. If you knew what the Japanese did to the Koreans through out our history, you'd understand. Doesn't bother much though, but when I'm at school my friends think it's funny when I make some Japanese joke.

'What ninja weapon did Don get? A stickball bat.
Hey, you can call it a 'bo'. But you can call it a
Ford Tempo too...it's still just a stick.'
Donatello02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:09 PM   #19
Aztec General
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello02
Oh, and yes...most Koreans DO still hold some beef with the Japanese. It's just the culture. If you knew what the Japanese did to the Koreans through out our history, you'd understand. Doesn't bother much though, but when I'm at school my friends think it's funny when I make some Japanese joke.
Yup. Read up about what the Japanese Empire did to much of Asia (Korea, Vietnam, China, Phillipinnes, etc.) from 1931-1945. You'll then learn why the Imperial Japanese and Nazis got along so well. You'll also learn why most Asian countries still don't like the Japanese.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:09 PM   #20
TMNT is cooler than MOTU
Stone Warrior

Eh, they don't seem to mind. I've had a few ppl come up to me telling me how much the think the TMNT are pretty spiffy.

Thank you for getting rid of Hamato Yoshi, Michael Bay and Co.! He was suuuuuper unnecessary.
TMNT is cooler than MOTU is offline   Reply With Quote