The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #781
TylerD
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Kind of sucks to just automatically feel skeptical or pessimistic, but after one bombed show and the result of the last two films before it... here we are.

Personally, I bet we could very well see the TMNT someday hit the age Batman is and still be around, but they need to wise up and stop handling them the way they currently are.

At what point do they grasp that reinventing and retelling over and over is not the way to succeed. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel hoping for Turtlemania 2.0. If someone has ideas for great new adventures for them without starting over and effing up who they are as characters, great.

As a property that has been around for over 37 years, I don't think we need to keep reintroducing them at this point. Everyone more or less knows who they are and any clueless outliers who are interested can go check out other media first and find out.

If they want to reignite it then it's pretty clear that kids these days are a hard sell, and a lot of stuff doesn't stick with them for very long, so they need to stop dragging their heels and be smart about it and look to where the money is. Last Ronin sounds like it's doing pretty well, the Batman/TMNT movie went over quite good... get the act together and get a PG13 series happening that may also catch the interest of even casual viewers who like good, gritty shows and might make them TMNT fans in the long run.

If you pull new adults in who are the interested in checking out more of the franchise, then you may end up pulling the kids in, too.

Before the TMNT mention that article includes "Audiences want more of the things they love and that’s how you build brand loyalty." Sounds pretty counter to constantly reinventing things.
I feel like with the previous bombs, they will make the next (whatever it is they do) one very good..... They really can't afford to bomb another one........ Or so I hope.
TylerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:21 AM   #782
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Let see which one of the two will release first this or the live action movie.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:26 AM   #783
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
Let see which one of the two will release first this or the live action movie.
Well obviously it's this movie, it's confirmed to be released on August 2023. I expect the live action movie will be released in 2024/25.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #784
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
I feel like with the previous bombs, they will make the next (whatever it is they do) one very good..... They really can't afford to bomb another one........ Or so I hope.
I hope so. Not sure the property itself can withstand constant bombs that turn audiences off. Question is, do these people even know what "good" looks like? And without trying to shoehorn them into present stupid cartoon trends that we're supposed to believe are good, but in many cases are pretty sub par compared to what cartoons used to be.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #785
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
That's easier said than done. No one in Hollywood sets out to make bad movies or ones that flop. If movie studios had a magic formula for making a movie good and successful there would be no bad movies or box office bombs.

There's a slight pang of sympathy I have for people involved in making these new movies. Making a good TMNT movie shouldn't be as difficult as Platinum Dunes made it look in 2014 with the constant re-writes and re-shoots but there's definitely aspects of this franchise that are difficult to translate into live action.

Add to that for decades people have incessantly argued that the best route for commercial success was to make the '87 animated series in live action. We know that know that most people in Hollywood who have handled the franchise have strongly believed the same but there has always been something to prevent the movie series going full Fred Wolf but finally with Out of the Shadows they finally made the old cartoon in live action and it bombed. Other than the 1990 movie none of the cinematic releases have been huge sellers but the one that they thought was basically a license to print money was the first to fail. I don't think anyone knows what to do with property right now. If that didn't work what will?

I strongly suspect the answers they come up with wont be what we fans want and given the track record wont be what the general public wants either.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:40 PM   #786
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Varner Studios (who sculpted most of the original playmates figures) posted this on their Instagram today. Fairly certain its for this movie, as the Jost one isn’t even written yet

Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #787
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap-Happy View Post
Varner Studios (who sculpted most of the original playmates figures) posted this on their Instagram today. Fairly certain its for this movie, as the Jost one isn’t even written yet

https://i.imgur.com/Hxdvuf8_d.webp?m...idelity=medium
I wonder if they are checking out the stuff that they plan on putting in the movie.

Varner Studios have been making TMNT toys in the 90s, Its possible the CGI animated movie will be FW inspired.

Check out the shop section which has a ton of TMNT concept art.
https://www.varnerstudios.com/tmnt-concept-art-1

Last edited by TigerClaw; 08-16-2021 at 03:53 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #788
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I wonder if they are checking out the stuff that they plan on putting in the movie.

Varner Studios have been making TMNT toys in the 90s, Its possible the CGI animated movie will be FW inspired.

Check out the shop section which has a ton of TMNT concept art.
https://www.varnerstudios.com/tmnt-concept-art-1
I mean if anything I think this means they’re more looking at the toy line for inspiration more than the cartoon, which is a step in the right direction IMO. The FW toon is just a kinda bad adaptation of the toy line.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #789
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap-Happy View Post
I mean if anything I think this means they’re more looking at the toy line for inspiration more than the cartoon, which is a step in the right direction IMO. The FW toon is just a kinda bad adaptation of the toy line.
a lot of the toy line was from the cartoon, I looked at some of the concept art, and they have concept art for the Mona Lisa toy which was cool.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:07 PM   #790
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

What am I not seeing...? Think a file type or something isn't supported by my browser.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:08 PM   #791
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
What am I not seeing...? Think a file type or something isn't supported by my browser.
The images load fine here on Chrome.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #792
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

a lot of the concept art were used as the bases for the toys like the Mona Lisa one for example.

Its possible that the art department is looking at all there TMNT stuff to use for references.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #793
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Quote:
a lot of the concept art were used as the bases for the toys like the Mona Lisa one for example.

Its possible that the art department is looking at all there TMNT stuff to use for references.
That’s exactly what they are doing. But the toys have a specific aesthetic that’s different from a lot of other TMNT stuff. One of the artists posted on their story about the “collage” aspect of them, with the characters having a lot of intricate detail and stuff piled on them. It’s very flashy. They’re very aesthetically rich designs, and the philosophies used in those designs would translate very well to an animated film.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #794
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here are the 3 other images from there Instagram post, a good view of all the sculps.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CSpf1KpB1CB/
Old 08-16-2021, 05:01 PM   #795
Galactus
Foot Elite

Remember when the Platinum Dunes people invited journalists to the set and they came back with reports that fans need not worry, that TMNT was in good hands. Then none of the stuff they saw ended up being in the final movie.

Given the 95% of cg animated movies follow a very similar aesthetic, the one set all the way back in 1995 with Toy Story I don't see any studio not going in that direction with the new the designs of the new movie. Frankly I don't think they should anyway. The look of the toyline has a certain charm but I don't think it will translate well to animation.

Also since I know it's going to get brought up neither will bringing in every random character from the toyline. Say what you will about Form and Fuller but after the failure of Out of the Shadows they got that simply bringing in more characters from the 80s is not enough to hook people in. I don't trust that they've learned anything but at least they learned that.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #796
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Remember when the Platinum Dunes people invited journalists to the set and they came back with reports that fans need not worry, that TMNT was in good hands. Then none of the stuff they saw ended up being in the final movie.

Given the 95% of cg animated movies follow a very similar aesthetic, the one set all the way back in 1995 with Toy Story I don't see any studio not going in that direction with the new the designs of the new movie. Frankly I don't think they should anyway. The look of the toyline has a certain charm but I don't think it will translate well to animation.

Also since I know it's going to get brought up neither will bringing in every random character from the toyline. Say what you will about Form and Fuller but after the failure of Out of the Shadows they got that simply bringing in more characters from the 80s is not enough to hook people in. I don't trust that they've learned anything but at least they learned that.
They just don't fully get TMNT, The fact you got some people from Nickelodeon from the art department involved, Perhaps they are doing a lot more of the research for the animated movie, The fact they went to Varner Studios to check on there stuff, I doubt the people from Platinum Dune did any research.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #797
Galactus
Foot Elite

It's definitely for the animated movie. I skimmed through the comments on the instagram post and Varner Studios replied to people it was for the Seth Rogen movie.

To damn Platinum Dunes with faint praise they did at skim various versions of TMNT for inspiration. You can tell the designs of the turtles and Shredder in the 2014 are based on the 2003 animated series designs just put through a Michael Bay 'everything has to huge and busy' filter. I can also buy that Zulli's turtles may have been an inspiration.

Likewise the turtle's truck in the sequel was a mash up of the party wagon and both the second and third battle shells from the '03 show. You can tell they at least watched a fair bit of the first two or three seasons of Fred Wolf show for inspiration particularly the Eye of Sarnath episodes.

I would hope Rogen and his people are doing a bit research that PD did but frankly taking inspiration from the toyline is not something I'd want to see.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:53 PM   #798
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
It's definitely for the animated movie. I skimmed through the comments on the instagram post and Varner Studios replied to people it was for the Seth Rogen movie.

To damn Platinum Dunes with faint praise they did at skim various versions of TMNT for inspiration. You can tell the designs of the turtles and Shredder in the 2014 are based on the 2003 animated series designs just put through a Michael Bay 'everything has to huge and busy' filter. I can also buy that Zulli's turtles may have been an inspiration.

Likewise the turtle's truck in the sequel was a mash up of the party wagon and both the second and third battle shells from the '03 show. You can tell they at least watched a fair bit of the first two or three seasons of Fred Wolf show for inspiration particularly the Eye of Sarnath episodes.

I would hope Rogen and his people are doing a bit research that PD did but frankly taking inspiration from the toyline is not something I'd want to see.
I would really love for other TMNT properties to borrow from the toyline, There are so many characters who had figures, but these characters never showed up in the cartoons, movies or the comics.

It would be cool if they saw a character from the toyline, and decide to put that character in the movie because we haven't seen it done in any other medium.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:03 PM   #799
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
I would really love for other TMNT properties to borrow from the toyline, There are so many characters who had figures, but these characters never showed up in the cartoons, movies or the comics.

It would be cool if they saw a character from the toyline, and decide to put that character in the movie because we haven't seen it done in any other medium.
And right on cue someone says that they want to see the movie use all the random characters from the toyline.

Haven't we learned that less is more when it comes to ancillary characters. We went through this when Laird sold the property to Nickledeon and some fans got very excited that we were going to not only see a return to the Fred Wolf characters and concepts but every random character from TMNT lore; Pizza Face and Half Court and Ace Duck and the like...then we started getting them and it became a case of be careful what you wish for.

Don't get me wrong there's some figures that just conceptually look as if they'd be cool characters (Scale Tail for example) but not in a movie.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #800
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
And right on cue someone says that they want to see the movie use all the random characters from the toyline.

Haven't we learned that less is more when it comes to ancillary characters. We went through this when Laird sold the property to Nickledeon and some fans got very excited that we were going to not only see a return to the Fred Wolf characters and concepts but every random character from TMNT lore; Pizza Face and Half Court and Ace Duck and the like...then we started getting them and it became a case of be careful what you wish for.

Don't get me wrong there's some figures that just conceptually look as if they'd be cool characters (Scale Tail for example) but not in a movie.
In a CGI movie they can, They can go all crazy and weird with the mutants.