The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

American Dad is okay. It's weird because the entire first season is totally contradictory with everything after. But it's pretty good sometimes. I had no idea it's been on for as long as it's been. But then, that show got shifted from Fox to TBS at some point.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #22
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
American Dad is okay. It's weird because the entire first season is totally contradictory with everything after. But it's pretty good sometimes. I had no idea it's been on for as long as it's been. But then, that show got shifted from Fox to TBS at some point.
Examples? It's been a long time since I've seen the first season and your views would be interesting.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, there's two main things. The biggest one being, the Season One conceit that Roger had never been outside of the Smith's attic ever since Stan rescued him from the government, and that he had a small collection of disguises simply for occasions when he'd have to go downstairs and someone might see him. That was almost immediately retconned in future Seasons, where they stated that Roger had been having adventures outside for decades, thanks to his endless supply of disguises, and had even been living multiple lives in multiple personas concurrently the entire time. Many of the Season One plots directly revolved around "We can't let anyone see Roger!", and every season thereafter treats it like a complete afterthought, since he's now a legendary Master Of Disguise. He also turns the attic into a rotating string of businesses like a bar and a gym, somehow, instead of just using it as his hiding spot. Again, in Season One he constantly bitched about never being allowed out of the attic, then it's all "Nah, he barely even stays in the house at all, what with his 47 parallel lives that he juggles."

The other big change is that in Season One, Stan was written to be a complete caricature of a Bush-loving Republican conservative, Hailey as a polar opposite, extreme-Liberal hippie, and the show was initially created as a means to riff on the culture clash between them. However, the writers quickly got tired of the whole Red Vs. Blue thing, finding it too one-dimensional, and starting with Season Two they pushed all of that into the background. Obviously, they still are who they are, but Stan's a bit less of a Hysterical Conservative and more of a General All-Purpose Moron who happens to work at the CIA, rather than his entire character being defined by his Bush-loving hyperbole.

Arguably, the show got better as it went along, so these changes are pretty much all for the best. But Season One stands out as a serious oddball compared to the rest of the series. The creators themselves have gone so far as to say that anyone could safely skip Season One, if they felt like it, as aside from introducing the characters and relationships the rest of it kind of "doesn't count."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:29 AM   #24
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ok if it’s actually true, like forever, then it’s stupid because there’s other stereotypical characters on the shows so why only the Indian character?

I would not be surprised if it’s some elaborate joke where Apu disappears for like a season and returns having been away for some mysterious reason.

Blaming Disney doesn’t make sense. They can’t erase him from the previous seasons. They know he’s ingrained in the history of the show. Plus I doubt they actually consider him offensive.

I’m repeating myself but as someone who consistently watches the show I hate hearing stuff like Zombie Simpsons/too repetitive (real life is also repetitive) and the celebrities are barely focused on when they appear or they’re voicing a different character.

Losing interest is totally fine. I’ve stopped watching some but I don’t root for them to be canceled. Why do you care if you no longer watch?
Old 10-27-2018, 06:56 AM   #25
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I don't think Disney has anything to do with this just yet, besides they have their own problems to deal with when it comes to who finds their characters offensive.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:03 AM   #26
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Zombie Simpsons/too repetitive (real life is also repetitive)
Life is only repetitive if you carry on with the same cycle in your day to day routine without a want or care to grow. Are you seriously praising the show for not caring to grow? Maybe it's because YOU find life repetitive and tiresome, but plenty in the world get out there and make something of themselves.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #27
Vegita-San
Emperor

Cancel the simpsons.

you can't get rid of apu.

why not get rid of wiggum next? insults fat people. or Ralph? insults disabled mentally people...

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #28
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
or Ralph? insults disabled mentally people...
Gail Simone wanted to write a Simpsons spin-off title where Ralph and Lisa would team up to solve mysteries. Think how great that would have been, a solid representation of people with special needs involved in sleuthing...but apparently it was shot down.

I really do think Lisa and Ralph are a good fit for one another in the "opposites attract" fashion. It's a shame not much is done with their relationship other than played for a few laughs.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:32 AM   #29
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Cancel the simpsons.

why not get rid of wiggum next? insults fat people. or Ralph? insults disabled mentally people...
Nah, Wiggum is made fun of for being a lazy police officer.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #30
neatoman
Emperor

Oh man they removed one of the absolute earliest characters from a show with 640+ episodes? Well it's a good thing he got to be in at least 140 episodes by my count.

I mean seriously, who cares at this point? The show is 20 years past it's prime (of course a character created 30 years ago will seem dated) and unless the Simpsons continues until season 61 (which it obviously isn't going to), Apu will still have been part of the bulk of the seasons and more importanlty the few seasons anyone actually cares about.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:27 AM   #31
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Cancel the simpsons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Gail Simone wanted to write a Simpsons spin-off title where Ralph and Lisa would team up to solve mysteries. Think how great that would have been, a solid representation of people with special needs involved in sleuthing...but apparently it was shot down.
I'm guessing the "mentally disabled" mention is hypothetical, but is that really what Ralph is? I'm not sure he falls into the "special needs" category either. I've always just thought of him as just peculiar.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:36 AM   #32
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Cancel the simpsons.

This is an extremely good point. I am honestly surprised Ralph has not been removed from the show at this point. Apu is a generic immigrant store owner its crazy how sensitive and insensitive people can be, at the same time. They find is completely unacceptable for a show to portray this character who's role has been reduced who has little offensive actions, but they are okay with another character that openly makes fun of people who suffer from mental retardation....... Yeah.... WTF.....

I am not want Ralph to be removed from the show I am just using him as a contrast, bc they are night in day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Nah, Wiggum is made fun of for being a lazy police officer.
I can't tell if you're serious or not, but they do seriously mock and stereotype police all through out this show and guess what big whoop!!!

Our society is starting to go down a dangerous path of intolerance and hate. This is a small blow to freedom of speech and expression.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #33
IMJ
Emperor

with viewers complaining that the character promotes racist stereotypes of people of Indian and Asian descent.

What
viewers? Who exactly? How many? Ten people, or maybe a small coalition of 50 agenda-laden liberals as measured against an entire country who otherwise has no problems with this? About a character that evolved beyond the joke and grew into one that people actually wound up loving?

Do not vote Democrat, people. If these people are put in power there's just more and more of this coming - political correctness forced on us, loss of expressive freedoms, censorship, and the opinions of manic individuals thrust upon you in action rather than in word for consideration. Guilt by accusation....

This is what these people are nowadays. If you don't like this example of censorship of a show that's made it for almost 40 years, then don't vote Democrats into office because even though this Simpsons thing wasn't a government edict, with more Democrats in power, it will be.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #34
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
This is an extremely good point. I am honestly surprised Ralph has not been removed from the show at this point
We could do with the set up for "Chief Wiggum P.I" being made canon at some point then
Old 10-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #35
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
with viewers complaining that the character promotes racist stereotypes of people of Indian and Asian descent.

What
viewers? Who exactly? How many? Ten people, or maybe a small coalition of 50 agenda-laden liberals as measured against an entire country who otherwise has no problems with this? About a character that evolved beyond the joke and grew into one that people actually wound up loving?

Do not vote Democrat, people. If these people are put in power there's just more and more of this coming - political correctness forced on us, loss of expressive freedoms, censorship, and the opinions of manic individuals thrust upon you in action rather than in word for consideration. Guilt by accusation....

This is what these people are nowadays. If you don't like this example of censorship of a show that's made it for almost 40 years, then don't vote Democrats into office because even though this Simpsons thing wasn't a government edict, with more Democrats in power, it will be.
you are just as crazy as mrmaczaps the other resident righty to the ignore list with you.

Also don't tell people how to vote the conservatives are no better

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 10-27-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #36
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

There is something to be said now about characters having to be written-off at this point in time, especially when they're significant characters. Like Mrs. Krabapple because her actress died, even when she was going through a huge personal reinvention after marrying Flanders (who was going through his own personal reinvention through her).

That was just one voice actress, but what happens when it's someone who has to do multiple characters? Like Hank Azaria, who voices practically half the town? Do you replace him? Throw out the characters that can't quite make the cut in impersonation? Or just shut down the whole show? What if someone from the Simpsons family themselves dies? Julie Cavner is 68, she's nearly 70. sh!t so's my dad.... The life of the show is practically resting on hers.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 10-27-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

Simpsons isn't even renewed past Season 30 yet, as far as we know this is the final season. Obviously the hold up is Fox being bought out by Disney, but as of right now the show isn't greenlit to continue after this year so it might not even matter.

30 seasons means it last 20+ years past it's prime anyway. I followed the show up through Season 21 or so so I continued to watch well past the classic seasons, but even then I knew it was time to end.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #38
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
This is an extremely good point. I am honestly surprised Ralph has not been removed from the show at this point. Apu is a generic immigrant store owner its crazy how sensitive and insensitive people can be, at the same time. They find is completely unacceptable for a show to portray this character who's role has been reduced who has little offensive actions, but they are okay with another character that openly makes fun of people who suffer from mental retardation....... Yeah.... WTF.....

I am not want Ralph to be removed from the show I am just using him as a contrast, bc they are night in day.

I can't tell if you're serious or not, but they do seriously mock and stereotype police all through out this show and guess what big whoop!!!

Our society is starting to go down a dangerous path of intolerance and hate. This is a small blow to freedom of speech and expression.
I was being serious. Chief Wiggum is looked at as a fat, lazy police officer who won't do anything unless the crime is super serious, or he's bribed. His partners are also looked at as bumbling idiots.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #39
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Simpsons isn't even renewed past Season 30 yet, as far as we know this is the final season. Obviously the hold up is Fox being bought out by Disney, but as of right now the show isn't greenlit to continue after this year so it might not even matter.
I'm almost sure it's still not the end.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #40
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post

What
Yeah, I wouldn't' be surprised AT ALL if the people complaining about Apu turn out to be just a bunch of hipster 20 year old left-wing upper middle class white Americans trying to speak for Indian people just to show how "open minded" they are
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funnierthanmodernsimpsons, no more indians, thank you come again