The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-28-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Lord Dregg or Malinga?

Nick and IDW love reviving old characters that are somewhat obscure and bringing them back. Lord Dregg debuted as the main villain for the final seasons of the original cartoon, and Nick brought him back in the Season 4 opener and he'll be a recurring villain.

Who wants to bet Lord Dregg shows up in IDW too eventually?

Last edited by CyberCubed; 10-19-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: !
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

If it lasts long enough, it probably is indeed a sure bet.

However, I do kinda hope IDW holds off on introducing Dregg. One, I don't care about the character. But more importantly, I'd rather IDW and Nick not run with the same big bad (one who isn't Shredder or Krang, I mean) concurrently.

I like my TMNT comics to pay homage and adapt that which comes before, but I don't want it treading too closely to any one particular series. If Dregg was the main threat in IDW and Nick at the same time, I feel like too many people would unfairly criticize IDW for following in Nick's steps.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Speaking of which, its funny how IDW and Nick revived all the same characters:

- Mutagen Man debuted in Nick, then IDW brings in their own Mutagen Man

- Pigeon Pete debuts in Nick, then IDW makes their own Pigeon Pete

- Slash shows up in IDW first, then Nick uses Slash

- Bebop/Rocksteady of course are the big ones, and funnily enough both series held off on debuting them until after a year into their run.

- Karai is Shredder's daughter/grandaughter in both, instead of going the Mirage Karai rotue

- Mondo Gecko appears in IDW Mutanimals, he also was in Nick's Mutanimals

Sure all the staples are expected like Baxter, Leatherhead, Rat King, Karai, etc....but its interesting seeing all these second and third tier characters return.

I'm half surprised we haven't seen Rahzar in IDW yet either.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Speaking of which, its funny how IDW and Nick revived all the same characters:

- Mutagen Man debuted in Nick, then IDW brings in their own Mutagen Man

- Pigeon Pete debuts in Nick, then IDW makes their own Pigeon Pete

- Slash shows up in IDW first, then Nick uses Slash

- Bebop/Rocksteady of course are the big ones, and funnily enough both series held off on debuting them until after a year into their run.

- Karai is Shredder's daughter/grandaughter in both, instead of going the Mirage Karai rotue

- Mondo Gecko appears in IDW Mutanimals, he also was in Nick's Mutanimals

Sure all the staples are expected like Baxter, Leatherhead, Rat King, Karai, etc....but its interesting seeing all these second and third tier characters return.

I'm half surprised we haven't seen Rahzar in IDW yet either.
It's a good point you make, and one I've observed as well. I think it's probably more a fact of both Nick and IDW are in a position to bring back characters that Laird and 4Kids never used, seeing how the 4Kids series was explicitly Mirage-only. No Bebop and Rocksteady, no Krang, no et al.

So they're both cherry-picking the BEST of those non-Mirage characters (Bebop & Rocksteady, Slash, Krang, Mondo Gecko) where they can best fit them into their seasons-long narrative. I'm not surprised we're only now (possibly) getting Bishop and Dregg, as they're both big bads who clearly compete for screentime with the better-known likes of Shredder and Krang.

All in all, I think now is the best possible time to be a TMNT fan since the original Turtlemania, even if some of the media (looking at YOU, Platinum Dunes) isn't up to par.

Hell, when the comics or cartoon are revamping characters even some of us die-hards don't remember (e.g. Winters), you KNOW we're in a good place.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

I dunno if it's necessarily inevitable, but I'd definitely support that move.

But I'd rather see the trend of reviving obscure characters continue in unique ways as opposed to each universe kinda going toe to two with their choices. As in, I'd sooner hope to see Dragon Lord or Vam Mi before someone who's already getting their second chance.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:32 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

IDW has revived old characters before Nick, like most notably Angel, someone I never expected to see again let alone become such a major character. And now again with Jammerhead and Darius Dun.

Null returning was by far the best return, given such a major Archie villain never appeared anywhere else and making Null a woman was a great move.

Funny with Armaggon appearing in Nick, Null in IDW, I always said its a matter of time before Old Hob turns himself into Verminator X.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:31 AM   #7
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I kinda want to see them bring in Oyuki from the Archie comics.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:58 AM   #8
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I'd be ok with that, but what purpose would Oyuki serve in IDW?

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Wasn't she a lesbian? April and Oyuki felt like some yuri pair you'd see in an anime. They even lived together.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Wasn't she a lesbian? April and Oyuki felt like some yuri pair you'd see in an anime. They even lived together.
... OK, that's interesting...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:17 AM   #11
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Ummmm... where did this come from? Oyuki was a tough girl, smoked cigarettes, and was friends with April and worked as her camerawoman, but there was no indication of her being with April at all. April was even Dating Warrior Dragon at the time, and Oyuki was wierded out and upset that Chu had the hots for April instead of her. Also, Oyuki had a thing for one of the guys who was a member of the Dog Star gang. April let Oyuki share her apartment because she didn't want Oyuki living on the streets, and Oyuki rewarded her new roomate by having her smoking habit nearly burn April's apartment building to the ground.

I don't have anything against that sort of thing, but I don't like it when a 'tough girl' is automatically pigeonholed like that just because she's tough.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 10-30-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #12
2K3
Foot Soldier

If they do introduce Lord Dregg, I'd like to merge the character with Maligna (kinda like how they merged Angel and Nobody together). Basically calling him "Lord Maligna Dregg".

Combing attributes of both versions, I'd give him:
  • The Personality and ambition of the 80s series Dregg
  • The Abilities of the 2K12 Dregg
  • The Hive-ship, lieutenants Scul and Bean, and Maligoids of the Archie Comics Maligna
2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #13
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K3 View Post
If they do introduce Lord Dregg, I'd like to merge the character with Maligna (kinda like how they merged Angel and Nobody together). Basically calling him "Lord Maligna Dregg".

Combing attributes of both versions, I'd give him:
  • The Personality and ambition of the 80s series Dregg
  • The Abilities of the 2K12 Dregg
  • The Hive-ship, lieutenants Scul and Bean, and Maligoids of the Archie Comics Maligna
I hope Maligna is introduced eventually, but I'd much rather see her adapted into a female Annihilus of sorts and keep Dregg separate.

Female big bads are a rare commodity in this or any other franchise.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:01 AM   #14
Tazi
Mad Scientist

Honestly, there are still a ton of more interesting TMNT villains I'd rather see first. Or how bout someone new? I think the dullness of Dregg was one of the reasons that people started to lose interest in OT. Which doesn't mean that IDW can't reinvent him as an interesting character, but still I don't think that IDW have to include all characters from all TMNT versions before, and as I said I'd rather see other villians first. For example Touch & Go, Complete Carnage, Tempestra, etc. They all have unique skills, and they are all non-mutants.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:18 AM   #15
Kingoji
Hench Mutant

I'd sooner see Null turned into a major and immediate threat first.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazi View Post
Honestly, there are still a ton of more interesting TMNT villains I'd rather see first. Or how bout someone new? I think the dullness of Dregg was one of the reasons that people started to lose interest in OT. Which doesn't mean that IDW can't reinvent him as an interesting character, but still I don't think that IDW have to include all characters from all TMNT versions before, and as I said I'd rather see other villians first. For example Touch & Go, Complete Carnage, Tempestra, etc. They all have unique skills, and they are all non-mutants.
Agreed; I think Dregg would need serious rework; his FW design looks ridiculous, and I don't think he's really earned his spot in the TMNT badass rogues' gallery yet. Some people like him, but I'm not one of them yet. Only IDW could convince me otherwise.

Touch and Go are pretty cool, and I'd like to see Pimiko, one of the Komodos (either the human Warlord or the mutated King), a serious mobster ala "Big Tony", and some Battle Nexus stuff. Also more Rat King... he needs to take the spotlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingoji View Post
I'd sooner see Null turned into a major and immediate threat first.
I have a feeling we'll be getting here next year, after the Bishop/Burnow Island story arc and maybe a little more Foot Clan uprising.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think Pimiko isn't ever going to happen. Karai has her role, and whatever daughter this Shredder has is long dead in ancient Japan.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #18
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I think Pimiko isn't ever going to happen. Karai has her role, and whatever daughter this Shredder has is long dead in ancient Japan.
Yeah... oh well.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #19
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

I think we all know that IDW is going to go with the most popular TMNT villain ( after Shredder of course ), Eric Sachs! I mean he's like the most well received and popular characters in turtles lore.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #20
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I DO hope you're joking, or I might have to cyber-slap you with a rubber chicken....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote