The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 05-06-2024, 12:06 PM   #141
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icegaze View Post
I’m so surprised how not much discourse is made on this thread for the Mezco turtles, arguably the greatest collectibles of this franchise.

Absolute classic and I wish I lived in the states. I would have bought these for sure.

From favourite to least favourite turtle in this line: Leo > Raph > Donnie > Mikey.
they are my favorite and best turtle figures, easily.

most people didn't want to shell out the money, can't blame them. but it's a set many will be sad they missed.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 08:51 PM   #142
IMJ
Emperor

Wow.... "arguably the greatest collectibles of this franchise". That's.... a hardcore statement....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:02 AM   #143
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post

Wow.... "arguably the greatest collectibles of this franchise". That's.... a hardcore statement....
And I stand by it. Very firmly.
I’m not a great collector, but I’ve bought TMNT figures (most recent one being the BST AXN Leo which I adore given that it is in Santolouco’s style). But man, Mezco blows everything out of the water. The next best thing is the NECA figures of 2008 depicting the old style Mirage turtles.

Edit: I also noticed two main changes between the initial announcement photos of the Mezco figures and upon release that I’m happy they made:

1) Leonardo’s belt harness; I’m glad they made it on one side instead of in the shape of a cross over his plastron.

2) Raphael’s height. I was a bit miffed over the initial height they announced Raph being given that they made him the shortest. Glad they changed that.

Last edited by Icegaze; 05-07-2024 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Additional comments
Icegaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:54 PM   #144
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Jeeze, they really ruined Michelangelo's head there, if that poster image is any indication. It doesn't even look like the same paint as the rest of the figure.

I mean, I kind of like them aesthetically. They're sort of a weird hodgepodge of different Turtle artists. The legs of the original classic Mirage Kevin & Peter Turtles, SORT of the torso with plastrons from I don't know what. Pouches from various indie artists, or maybe IDW. I'm not a fan of the different colored skins (again, how many red-earred sliders have you run into that have different skin colors? and are also brothers?) or body types but I dig the heads minus the new ridiculous Mikey one. And obviously in what mostly looks like a Mirage throwback the rainbow bandannas will always be apocryphal.

So, not bad. But not sad I don't own them at all.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:43 AM   #145
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Hey guys, Andrew doesn't like thing. What a surprise.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:06 AM   #146
frank_one
Mad Scientist

That little piece at the top of the plastron looks weird and they are missing the tails.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 09:09 AM   #147
IMJ
Emperor

I think they are incredibly cool and the Mezco stuff that I own is quality through and through. I just can't file in my head though what version of the Turtles these would represent for me were I to pick them up.

I guess it's one of those instances where they are great, but just not for me and given the huge amount of stuff being released nowadays, I am very okay with that.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:53 AM   #148
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I think they are incredibly cool and the Mezco stuff that I own is quality through and through. I just can't file in my head though what version of the Turtles these would represent for me were I to pick them up.

I guess it's one of those instances where they are great, but just not for me and given the huge amount of stuff being released nowadays, I am very okay with that.
Liberating, isn't it? Best decision I ever made (in terms of collecting) was to give up on trying to be a completionist with the NECA stuff. I bowed out long ago and haven't lost a bit of sleep over it.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 01:09 PM   #149
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I love these. I got lots of Rumble Society so I figured the quality would be the best out there. I was not disappointed. As for what iteration they are. I think they work well with figures from any iteration. It's one reason I love them. the body style seems Mirage driven. I'd say the head style and belts are very IDW. The body colors and Expressions, at least Mikey's scared head, are straight-up 2012 series. I guess you could claim the colored bandanas from Fred Wolf since that show started it. I don't feel odd having them next to a NECA toon character or Mirage. They look awesome with Super7 stuff too.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 02:24 PM   #150
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Hey guys, Andrew doesn't like thing.
I didn't say I didn't like it. It's got a couple of "odd choices" but it's fine.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:40 PM   #151
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Liberating, isn't it? Best decision I ever made (in terms of collecting) was to give up on trying to be a completionist with the NECA stuff. I bowed out long ago and haven't lost a bit of sleep over it.
You want liberating, bro? Try being an Iron Man collector and realizing that you don't need every version of a "Nuclear Armor" or weird "Torpedo Armor" variant....

But yeah I understand your point completely.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:14 AM   #152
Swaynomics930
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
they are my favorite and best turtle figures, easily.

most people didn't want to shell out the money, can't blame them. but it's a set many will be sad they missed.
Just like the revoltech, most were turned off on the price but these 2 set are in my favorite figures
Swaynomics930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:31 AM   #153
b14z3d21
Mouser

Animated versions up for sale at 1pm.

b14z3d21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:51 AM   #154
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Those look kiiiinda terrible.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:57 AM   #155
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Yeah, what the hell were they thinking with this? Granted, it's just one promo shot but when I didn't think they were going to go for Animated Series Dollar Tree promotional art look lolololol
Old 05-15-2024, 10:45 AM   #156
b14z3d21
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Those look kiiiinda terrible.
Yep, easy pass for me. All their eyes aside from Ralph are kinda scary. They look dead inside. 1000 yard stare.
b14z3d21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:08 AM   #157
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Some of the alt heads actually pretty solid. I'm not sure why they chose the blank dead eyes for the promo pic. Donatello doesn't really have a more serious expression option though, so then that ruins any chance of doing a decent display. The cartoony eyes just look terrible with those bodies.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:16 AM   #158
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, now we've arrived firmly in the "things to be taken out into the woods and shoot at " territory.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:41 AM   #159
909 Turtle Fan
Hench Mutant

Not too sure about this set. Not feeling the way the textured skin looks with the cartoon look. Leaning towards passing.

"Breath in the smoke, Oroku Saki, and meditate. Open your mind and all will become clear."-Kitsune, SHotFC #3

"You know what, you're not Leonardo, you're a member of the foot clan. you are a foot clan member! you're not just a member, you're Danny! you're that punk b*tch Danny!"
-Adam, workaholics, teenage mutant ninja roommates
909 Turtle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:47 AM   #160
Dask
Mad Scientist

This has uncanny valley written all over it (on the plus side, at least each turtle comes with a non-dead-eyes head, except perhaps Donnie).

Just stick to NECA guys! No need to go FOMO.

Last edited by Dask; 05-15-2024 at 12:09 PM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote