The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #1
The Deadman
Foot Elite

MTV's 40th Anniversary

Was yesterday, and this was their big schedule
https://twitter.com/MTVSchedule/stat...74687945150467

Who wants to watch that all day long?

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's kind of ironic when you realize our parents were part of the MTV generation, the "Me generation" as they called it. Back then they thought young adults watching MTV all day was bad, little did they know about the youtube generation with youtubers and zoomers we would get by the mid/late 2000's.

It goes to prove every generation grows up with something that's deemed "not good for teens/adults" when it starts, and then is looked upon favorably gens later.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

40 years, but only 20 years of them actually playing music.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

First music video out:

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 08-02-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #5
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's kind of ironic when you realize our parents were part of the MTV generation, the "Me generation" as they called it. Back then they thought young adults watching MTV all day was bad, little did they know about the youtube generation with youtubers and zoomers we would get by the mid/late 2000's.

It goes to prove every generation grows up with something that's deemed "not good for teens/adults" when it starts, and then is looked upon favorably gens later.
Our parents? Try US. Or at least my generation. Heck, I was there watching the first day it aired! Don't remember if I saw the very first video, but I was home that day and got to see it from day one. Child of the 80's, yo!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:43 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Our parents? Try US. Or at least my generation. Heck, I was there watching the first day it aired! Don't remember if I saw the very first video, but I was home that day and got to see it from day one. Child of the 80's, yo!
Well I was a kid in the 80's, I'm not a 40+ year old yet, so it wasn't part of my gen...thankfully.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

yeah, I never understood the "Remember when MTV played music". Well no, I never actually saw that. When I started watching MTV they only had reality shows. For music videos I would go to the web. When was the last time MTV was even relevant? When madonna and britney kissed? what was that 2003? That was the last time I ever heard someone mention the MTV music awards as if they were worth something. When I was in High School MTV had 0 relevance.

I mean are cartoon network and nickelodeon relevant to todays kids? I doubt anything on live tv is too relevant nowadays. Though CN and Nick likely outlasted MTV in terms of relevance.

Last edited by sdp; 08-04-2021 at 06:04 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #8
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Old 08-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #9
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
yeah, I never understood the "Remember when MTV played music". Well no, I never actually saw that. When I started watching MTV they only had reality shows. For music videos I would go to the web. When was the last time MTV was even relevant? When madonna and britney kissed? what was that 2003? That was the last time I ever heard someone mention the MTV music awards as if they were worth something. When I was in High School MTV had 0 relevance.

I mean are cartoon network and nickelodeon relevant to todays kids? I doubt anything on live tv is too relevant nowadays. Though CN and Nick likely outlasted MTV in terms of relevance.
I guess CN is for kids that love TTG and Nick for kids that love SpongeBob.

I was living Mexico at the time, they played mostly played music videos, top tens, and eventually Beavis and Butt-Head and South Park. MTV unplugged was live performances from the stars at the time. There were also like half hour shows about the latest musician gossip, who's dating who and whatnot. But a good chunk was still nonstop videos.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:11 PM   #10
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Well I was a kid in the 80's, I'm not a 40+ year old yet, so it wasn't part of my gen...thankfully.
If you grew up in the 90s and early 2000s, it was definitely part of your generation.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #11
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
If you grew up in the 90s and early 2000s, it was definitely part of your generation.
Absolutely.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:58 AM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
if you were a teen in the 90s perhaps, no little kid was watching MTV, they weren't the target audience, MTV was not at all popular in the 2000's, it became irrelevant because of the internet except for some reality shows no one remembers.

before someone

Well yeah, a cable channel will still have an audience, but to be "MTV Generation" that's because it had a huge audience that it influenced the lives of a good chunk of the generation, MTV wasn't doing that in the 2000's, it was the internet. I'm sure that MTV's impact on 90s teenagers was much smaller than it was on 80s teens.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #13
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
I was a kid in the 80's too, Cubed. I started high school in 1991. It very much WAS your generation as much as mine, hence why I said US.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I was a kid in the 80's too, Cubed. I started high school in 1991. It very much WAS your generation as much as mine, hence why I said US.
If you started High School by then you were already an older kid, I was an infant. Even though I was born in the 80's...I'm more of a 90's kid because obviously as a baby you can't do anything.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:50 AM   #15
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Ironically, I was talking about this with my folks about MTV celebrating its 40th and then reminiscing over how MTV used to be and how it was worth watching after it found its niche. Of course I can't comment on the first few years, but the mid to late 80s I can. IMO, MTV started going downhill in the 90s when they started to add more and more shows to the channel that didn't have much to do with music, like all those reality shows. I give the animated stuff a pass along with Liquid Television. Did anyone else watch Liquid Television? It was weird and we got Aeon Flux from it.
Quote:

Generation X kids are pretty much the MTV generation and even some older "Millenials" or "Xenials" (think that's what you'd call them, not quite X, not quite Millenial) can say they were part of it in some way if they grew up with those around them who did. For me, I grew up with 80s MTV. As far back as I can remember, my family always had cable. I have fond memories watching a lot of MTV, although to be fair, given my age, it's mostly mid-80s where I have more memories. I have some more vague ones prior. It's like Nickelodeon. I do have vague memories of earlier Nickelodeon when they still used the pinball logo...and when I used to watch Pinwheel. lol
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:45 AM   #16
cammy85
Stone Warrior

I make a point to listen to Martha Quinn's morning show every day when I get up!! Even if it's two hours behind me while other morning shows are still on.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #17
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Gen Xers are always trying to pretend they're millennials the older they get, they got too cocky, they felt they owned the world in the 2000's and kept saying the 90s sucked, but now they're middle aged and antivaxxers.

It's always cringey to see Black Nerd and Pixel Dan try to pretend they understand kids properties from the 90s like power rangers and what not from that era when they were already in teenagers and way past the target audience. Gen X was a mistake, I'll take zoomers any day.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #18
IMJ
Emperor

You and your "agism" posts....

Quote:
Gen Xers are always trying to pretend they're millennials the older they get, they got too cocky, they felt they owned the world in the 2000's and kept saying the 90s sucked, but now they're middle aged and antivaxxers.
I never wanted to be associated as a millenial. I'm not - I'm firmly "squeaked" into Gen X, but... I'm good with it, man.

Quote:
It's always cringey to see Black Nerd and Pixel Dan try to pretend they understand kids properties from the 90s like power rangers and what not from that era when they were already in teenagers and way past the target audience. Gen X was a mistake, I'll take zoomers any day.
I've never understood Power Rangers to be honest. Never. I remember watching it in high school a few times and thinking "how could anyone take this seriously or be fooled by it's quality?" I mean... Power Rangers was like 1 degree away from being "Barney n Friends" but with Kung-Fu.

But.... you know.... there are people who deeply love it, so..... it clearly has staying power.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote