The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 12-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
Teddygaming reviews
Hench Mutant

why do people hate fast foward

My question is why does everyone hates fast forward. This has been something i have been wondering why for years now and i would like to get a new perspective on this season.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I think cause it was too goofy and stupid, took the gang away from their supporting cast and basically killed the regular series. Also since they were time travelling now, the studios now decided they couldn't continue the show back to present day unless they added some kind of gimmick to it, when the show being about talking turtles that fight should already be the gimmick. The only reason we got Back to the Sewers after that was because they decided to use the internet as a gimmick. Their other options were having the turtles watch over toddler versions of themselves or turning the show into a card game show apparently since card game stuff was popular at the time.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I think cause it was too goofy and stupid, took the gang away from their supporting cast and basically killed the regular series. Also since they were time travelling now, the studios now decided they couldn't continue the show back to present day unless they added some kind of gimmick to it, when the show being about talking turtles that fight should already be the gimmick. The only reason we got Back to the Sewers after that was because they decided to use the internet as a gimmick. Their other options were having the turtles watch over toddler versions of themselves or turning the show into a card game show apparently since card game stuff was popular at the time.
All of this, plus it was just terrible.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Besides the complete change in tone, cheaper animation, and the jettisoning of most of the cast and storylines, as well as not finishing it's own storylines, one thing that has been somewhat muted after the fact was the fact that this season came at the expense of season 5. Season 4 ended on a huge cliffhanger that set up season 5, and season 5 itself was essentially the grand finale that wrapped up the whole show. Imagine people's surprise when suddenly, instead of following up on the cliffhanger, the show was suddenly skipped ahead to a completely different season 6, simply because the higher-ups thought it would sell more toys. A decision which itself is even more baffling in hindsight, since you would think all of the mystical stuff would have made great toys.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Because it sucked.

Also, Serling sucked, Cody sucked, and the robot Constable sucked. Too much "comedy", not enough focus on storytelling.

Some of the ideas were good and should have been explored more.

If Fast Forward had leaned more into some Mirage Volume 4 inspiration (Utroms on Earth, Donatello investigating science stuff, Mikey and the Triceratons) or even some of its existing 4Kids ideas (Baxter, Bishop, Ch'rell), it would have been a lot more interesting.

And yes, it briefly touched on Bishop and Baxter, but it also chose to squander episodes on Triple Threat and wrestling, or Shokanabo or however you spell that guy's name.

So basically, coulda been good, but it wasn't.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most of the episodes individually (except the awful Triple Threat episodes) were pretty good or fun. It just took away 2k3, but to be fair, there wasn't much further the show could go in the present anyway with both Shredder's defeated.

FF had a lot of continuing plotlines and story arcs, I just wish they didn't make so many filler-ish eps at the beginning because it took awhile to get going.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, even assuming Fast Forward wasn't "terrible" and even was just "less good than the 2003 series", any time you go from something Really Good to something Less Good with practically no bridge or down time in between, people are going to notice and they're not going to be happy about it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I mean, even assuming Fast Forward wasn't "terrible" and even was just "less good than the 2003 series", any time you go from something Really Good to something Less Good with practically no bridge or down time in between, people are going to notice and they're not going to be happy about it.
My guess is the show was going to end at Season 5 (which was a natural conclusion for the show), but they decided to see how much extra mileage they could get out of the show with a future shake-up.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

All 4Kids had to do was let Karai keep being evil and in charge of the Foot Clan for longer.

And Bishop and Baxter still had tons of mileage. Hell, even Hun and Savanti Romero had more to offer. Or introduce a couple of new characters from Mirage:

Gosei Hattori, Agent Braunze, or do some more Triceraton and Battle Nexus stuff.

And like I already alluded to, there was plenty of material from Volume 4 that could have been adapted (and frankly, done much better than the comics).
Old 12-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #10
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
Besides the complete change in tone, cheaper animation, and the jettisoning of most of the cast and storylines, as well as not finishing it's own storylines, one thing that has been somewhat muted after the fact was the fact that this season came at the expense of season 5. Season 4 ended on a huge cliffhanger that set up season 5, and season 5 itself was essentially the grand finale that wrapped up the whole show. Imagine people's surprise when suddenly, instead of following up on the cliffhanger, the show was suddenly skipped ahead to a completely different season 6, simply because the higher-ups thought it would sell more toys. A decision which itself is even more baffling in hindsight, since you would think all of the mystical stuff would have made great toys.
This right here, you beat me to it. In 2006-2007, I HATED Fast Forward. But once 2008 came around, and the fifth season aired on TV and was released on DVD, I very much came to accept FF. Now I not only accept it, but I actually find it very entertaining.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
All 4Kids had to do was let Karai keep being evil and in charge of the Foot Clan for longer.
Nah, evil Karai ran it's course by the time we got to the end of Season 4 and the middle of Season 5. I'm glad she changed. Her grudge against Leonardo and the others was borderlining on insanity since she knew all the evil Ch'rell did.

Quote:
And Bishop and Baxter still had tons of mileage. Hell, even Hun and Savanti Romero had more to offer.
Bishop was an uneasy ally with the Turtles in Season 4 and Season 5 and so was Baxter to an extent, and then in FF it was a natural evolution of the characters. Hun was in the last season quite a bit (he's the only other recurring villain to still be around), so they still used him.

Also remember this was the early 2000's, Vol. 4 was still going and didn't have many issues yet and the second volume of Tales started in 2004 when the show was halfway through, they didn't really have much more material from Mirage to pull from that point:

- PL would never let them adapt any Image storylines, so that was out.

- The guest issues of Vol. 1 wouldn't be adapted, and Vol. 2 more or less turned out to be Bishop's arc.

- Vol. 4 had also been only halfway through, and at the time there really wasn't much to adapt? (Talking dinosaurs, Utroms coming to Earth, Raph being mutated (already done with Don), etc. so there wasn't much material.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

Why hate Fastforward? Here's a list over the reasons why that might be:
Conceptually, it has very little to do with what the show (or even the franchise in general) had done up until that point.
  1. Very few characters that were established in previous episodes had a chance of showing up, even mainstays like Casey and April.
  2. There are very few plot connections with the previous episodes.
  3. No direct adaptations like in the previous seasons.
  4. Many of the new characters are arguably annoying.
  5. The "evil uncle trying to seize the nephew's assets" is fairly cliché.
  6. There is some questionable consistancy in the writing, like how making weapons being bad is one of the plot points, which ignores that the main characters use and make weapons all the time.
  7. A lot of episode plots are fairly generic kiddy plots that could be inserted into almost anything.
  8. Everything has been made brighter and more... I wouldn't say the show wasn't kid friendly before because it was clearly meant for kids... "toothless"?

In short, the show had a clear identity and the fact that (unlike most adaptations of comics) did more with the source material than just use the general premise. Fastforward just kind of throws that out the window.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #13
Teddygaming reviews
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Why hate Fastforward? Here's a list over the reasons why that might be:
Conceptually, it has very little to do with what the show (or even the franchise in general) had done up until that point.
  1. Very few characters that were established in previous episodes had a chance of showing up, even mainstays like Casey and April.
  2. There are very few plot connections with the previous episodes.
  3. No direct adaptations like in the previous seasons.
  4. Many of the new characters are arguably annoying.
  5. The "evil uncle trying to seize the nephew's assets" is fairly cliché.
  6. There is some questionable consistancy in the writing, like how making weapons being bad is one of the plot points, which ignores that the main characters use and make weapons all the time.
  7. A lot of episode plots are fairly generic kiddy plots that could be inserted into almost anything.
  8. Everything has been made brighter and more... I wouldn't say the show wasn't kid friendly before because it was clearly meant for kids... "toothless"?

In short, the show had a clear identity and the fact that (unlike most adaptations of comics) did more with the source material than just use the general premise. Fastforward just kind of throws that out the window.
okay. but the animation didn't look to far off when they were in the future. if you just watched the epsidoe with the storyline you do see they do connect up. and may i ask what other shows have "evil uncle trying to seize the nephew's assets" in (i don't mean to cause any arguments i am just curious) and what comics could this season have adapted.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:58 PM   #14
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I didn't hate the idea, I thought it had potential but they didn't do much with it. The filler episodes weren't great and neither were the recurring storyline. Season 2 of Fast Forward looked like it was going to be better though and I would've liked to have seen at least the storylines finished, BTTS didn't do a great job and we got storylines without an ending.

I wanted to love FF, I thought it had solid base and the theme song was good but overall it feels weak, I feel the same for the Ninja Tribunal season though. I did enjoy BTTS though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
and the robot Constable sucked.
"Ello Ello Ello! What's all this then?"

I actually liked him a lot.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:28 PM   #15
srmff
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddygaming reviews View Post
okay. but the animation didn't look to far off when they were in the future. if you just watched the epsidoe with the storyline you do see they do connect up. and may i ask what other shows have "evil uncle trying to seize the nephew's assets" in (i don't mean to cause any arguments i am just curious) and what comics could this season have adapted.
Just some examples that I can think of:
The Lion King: Scar is probably one of the most famous examples, murdering his brother and afterwards attempting to murder his nephew in order to take the throne, all based on Hamlet.
The Chronicles of Narnia: Miraz from Prince Caspian, and Digory's Uncle Andrew in The Magician's Nephew.
In Harry Potter, Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia were both abusive to their nephew Harry.
In Stardust, The Reveal is that the scheming and fratricidal Seven Princes of Stormhold were actually Tristran's uncles. Although they're not the primary villains.
In Gossip Girl, there is Chuck Bass's evil uncle Jack. He doesn't particularly mind if his seventeen year-old, newly orphaned nephew falls off the rooftop of a building and he delights in ruining said nephew's life a year later.
William Shakespeare's Richard III is one of the most famous examples of an uncle out to kill his nephew, so he can assume the throne himself.
In Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang, uncle Phil is trying to take the farm from the family (that's the type of uncle in my case).
In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012, you could technically call the Shredder the uncle of the turtles since Splinter is their adoptive father and Shredder was Splinter's adoptive brother.

There are other examples involving evil aunts as well like in the Barbie films where the genders are often flipped around. Here's a list of different ones in TV tropes: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilUncle
srmff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:36 PM   #16
Powder
So tired of this place

Because people want the same crap recycled over & over & this series dared to deviate.

It's a fun series. Screw 'em.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:59 AM   #17
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

That's how I tend to feel about Season 6. I really liked the first 5 seasons, and while I think season 6 was a definite step down in quality, it was still ultimately entertaining and fun. Not great, just okay, several good ideas.

Season 7 sucks though.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:08 AM   #18
newfan
Mad Scientist

I watched the whole series through a couple of years back, FF just seemed like a step down from what I was enjoying prior. (yes I liked season 5 which is also disliked by a number of people). Mostly down to visual and to a point tonal change.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:48 AM   #19
Mario500
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddygaming reviews View Post
My question is why does everyone hates fast forward. This has been something i have been wondering why for years now and i would like to get a new perspective on this season.
(does not remember ever having had hatred*)

(*personal thoughts of mine)
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:35 AM   #20
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
"Ello Ello Ello! What's all this then?"

https://shortcut-test2.s3.amazonaws....le-biggles.jpg

I actually liked him a lot.
My favorite character, next to the wrestling announcer .

FF had some good ideas. baxter getting a happy ending. Bishop turning a new leaf. April's family eventually becoming millionaire's...

But it had some bad stuff too..
Leo saying so many puns in the third episode STILL doesn't feel right. Raph saying Cowabunga. The silliness of some of the fights, like Mike getting trapped by bubble wrap. and the animation STYLE, not the animation itself was jarring...just like the season after it.

FF could have been a solid season if they had cut down on some of that stuff and not let playmates decide so much....it always felt like the toy company wanted a lighter season.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote