The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

First appearance of Jennika as a turtle might be a worth more in the future.

https://blog.gocollect.com/the-hotte...-lead-the-way/
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:37 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I can only see it happening if Jennika goes mainstream, but I don't see her character appearing in anything post-IDW.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I can only see it happening if Jennika goes mainstream, but I don't see her character appearing in anything post-IDW.
That's why it's called speculation.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

That depends on wheter or not Jennika remains (becomes?) popular. Remember a ton of new characters were created in the 90's to bait speculators. And indeed, New Mutants #98 does fetch a hefty price, but what about Youngblood #1? About 20 Dollars or so in an honest auction, 150 if you "buy now" but I doubt anyone will go for that. Spawn #1, a series arguably more relevant than Youngblood, sells for about 40 dollars and maybe 100 if it's in fine condition.

Judging from the response I see here and elsewhere... I honestly don't know if Jennika's time as a turtle is popular enough to warrant a high price in the future. People mostly seem annoyed she's part of (if not synonymous with) a questionable story arc about a slum, and personally I question if she'll even remain a turtle in the long run. It almost seems like she was mutated for the sole reason of temporarily ratcheting up the sales artificially, you know like... Having Peter Parker's clone come back, replacing Superman with an evil cyborg or breaking Batman's back. The whole thing just stinks of being a gimmick to renew interest.

So yeah, even as a character in the IDW series I doubt she'll stick around forever.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:36 PM   #5
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

I don't know if she'll ever show up in any other version, but I highly doubt she'll ever get back to normal. I have never, ever seen a story where a character got turned into something, wants to change back, and then actually succeeds in that goal. They always either decide to live with it, find out it's impossible, or change back but then get forced to change back again to save someone's life. Jennika's probably a turtle forever.
Zog The Magnificent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #6
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
I don't know if she'll ever show up in any other version, but I highly doubt she'll ever get back to normal. I have never, ever seen a story where a character got turned into something, wants to change back, and then actually succeeds in that goal. They always either decide to live with it, find out it's impossible, or change back but then get forced to change back again to save someone's life. Jennika's probably a turtle forever.
You've never watched Beauty and the Beast then; the Beast is returned to being a human and doesn't change back afterwards.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:53 PM   #7
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

She's certainly here to stay in this series, and judging from how hard the people in charge tried to push her, I imagine there will be some incarnation of her in the next tv series. Which is a shame; I'd hate to see the only lasting addition from the IDW comics be the gimmick 5th turtle character when there are definitely better character additions like Old Hob and Alopex.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:56 PM   #8
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

I only care about the last appearance of Jennika. Horrible SJW character.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #9
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Jennika is the new Venus or even worse. Fan will forget her as soon as possible.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:37 PM   #10
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
You've never watched Beauty and the Beast then; the Beast is returned to being a human and doesn't change back afterwards.
I'm sure there were sequels or whatever else where the Beast was somehow the Beast again.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:38 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I'm sure there were sequels or whatever else where the Beast was somehow the Beast again.
They take place somewhere within the plot of the first one.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:40 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

If we were still in the prime of things like Wizard Magazine and Hero Magazine in the 90s, Jennika's first appearance would be up to like $35 now. Then, 5 years later it would be back to just a couple quarters above cover price.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:41 PM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

It's an event issue in the run that changed the status quo. There will always be mild interest in that particular book, whether it be from a pop culture presence as a key 1st appearance (doubt it) or simply because it was a "status quo event" in the run. But there are bigger fish to fry in the IDW run... given the print runs on comics nowadays, the ratio-variants have a much diminished presence on the market. Even if the next generation of collectors is small, they are going to be hunting ratio variants the way that smart collectors hunt newsstands and mark jeweler's today.

Besides, everything is on fire right now. There was a time, as far as TMNT is concerned, where people only really cared about the 1st appearance of the Turtles but recently people have turned towards any first appearance as a grab - even in a contained "universe" like TMNT. There was a time where everyone knew who Casey Jones and the Rat King were, but nobody cared at all about hunting down their first appearances like is common with characters across a broader Universe like Marvel I.P.'s. But now everything is up for grabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
If we were still in the prime of things like Wizard Magazine and Hero Magazine in the 90s, Jennika's first appearance would be up to like $35 now. Then, 5 years later it would be back to just a couple quarters above cover price.
The YouTubers are trying to cash in on the environment. Every video those guys make is like a top ten article.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:50 PM   #14
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

I didn't really care about Jennika either way (whole 5th turtle thing will always be fanfiction-y). I do find the speculators mentality interesting. Like,guys,if the next Nickleodon cartoon has a female turtle (which sounds like something they would do),this comic from 2019 might be worth something! Terribly optimistic.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:50 AM   #15
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
This is my fault because I didn't specify, but I wasn't counting fairytales. Fairytales are in their own specifc category of storytelling, where for the most part they mandate a "happily ever after." It's a part of the genre. Fairytale curses are usually undone because part of being a fairytale is returing to the original staus quo, but with everyone being better people by the end. No, I was meaning any story where it's a subplot. The Fantastic Four, with the Thing, Zebra Girl, The Hulk, Swamp Thing, pretty much every mutant from the 2012 show with particular attention to Timothy, etc... No matter what they do, circumstances always seem to conspire to keep them the way they are.
Zog The Magnificent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:24 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
The YouTubers are trying to cash in on the environment. Every video those guys make is like a top ten article.
For sure.

And I should say a bit more. I don't mean to say the hypothetical Wizard/Hero-like drop would be representative of quality... it's just a sad reality of modern day comics expressed even then.

Pretty much nothing printed after the early 90s is ever going to hit and remain super valuable. For the foreseeable future.

You know. Lots of memories of me as a high school kid packing my locker, making deals with other high school kids to get their copies of, like, Spawn #1 and Batman #497, thinking I'd one day be a millionaire. The reality is that so many copies are printed of these things now... that there really isn't a demand in REAL collectors (not just the ones looking to flip) to meet the actual # printed.

Though as time goes on and the comic industry further shrinks... maybe this changes? Like, more and more collectors... less copies printed? It would be an interesting study.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #17
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Does this mean a worn out copy of The Next Mutation East Meets West VHS tape is worth serious money because it's the very first appearance of a female TMNT ever?!
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:49 AM   #18
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Does this mean a worn out copy of The Next Mutation East Meets West VHS tape is worth serious money because it's the very first appearance of a female TMNT ever?!
Hate to burst your bubble, but the Archie version of April was mutated into a turtle 3 years earlier in the 11th Archie special in a story literally titled 'The fifth turtle'.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #19
AquaParade
Banned

TMNT books have been going up in value quite a bit over the last year.
I don't know if it was the pandemic or The Last Ronin, but many issues, especially Mirage have doubled or tripled in value.
City at War issues are actually a bit steep now, whereas that wasn't really the case a couple years ago. TMNT #10 has shot up too. "The River" issues are finally going up (as they should). Just a few examples.
These aren't astronomical numbers, but they are a big increase at a quick rate.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #20
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
TMNT books have been going up in value quite a bit over the last year.
I don't know if it was the pandemic or The Last Ronin, but many issues, especially Mirage have doubled or tripled in value.
City at War issues are actually a bit steep now, whereas that wasn't really the case a couple years ago. TMNT #10 has shot up too. "The River" issues are finally going up (as they should). Just a few examples.
These aren't astronomical numbers, but they are a big increase at a quick rate.
Everything has been selling man.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote