The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #81
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I think the movie should have made a lot more money but I am happy that it will get a sequel.

Last edited by drgon78; 01-25-2019 at 04:42 AM.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #82
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Looks like, despite all predictions, it made enough money for a sequel. Seems like the studio was happy with the results.

You know, I wonder if a lot of the 'experts' who declare a movies success or failure based on box office, are mistaken in how much a movie like this has to earn to turn a profit.
The movie had a smaller budget then the previous movies. So it was able to make back its money.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #83
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

I only hope now they take what they learned with this film and apply it to a nice G1 inspired Transformers ensemble film.
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #84
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwatanabesclone View Post
I only hope now they take what they learned with this film and apply it to a nice G1 inspired Transformers ensemble film.
Also they need to continue allowing directors to have the creative freedom making these movies. Bumblebee was successful. Because they allowed Travis Knight to make the movie he wants. even though Michael Bay was the producer. He had no input on it. As long as it stays that way. They can continue making more of these spinoff movies.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #85
AquaParade
Banned

As I said on the last page, I didn’t see this franchise going away. Sure, it’s been on a downhill trend, box office wise, but you don’t just throw away a franchise that has made as much money as this one.

Spider-Man was also on a downward trend, and now it’s on the way back up. Not a perfect comparison, but enough to get the point across.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:06 PM   #86
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Apparently this movie tripled its budget so far and great toy sales so Hasbro is more than happy, sequel is happening and all reshots were done to have this take place outside the Bay universe and any connections in the movie are just left overs they couldn't get rid off or didn't care.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:16 AM   #87
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Apparently this movie tripled its budget so far
Only overseas. They'll be lucky to get half of that. The movie did a little bit better than break even. It's all about the domestic.

Look at TF1. 151 million production budget, took in 319 million domestically, but still did 708 million worldwide. Look at TF: Last Knight. 217 production budget, took in 130 million domestically... but still took in 602 million worldwide, only 100 million shy of what TF1 did worldwide. But it was a failure and won't get a sequel.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-17-2019 at 01:04 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:21 AM   #88
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's all about the domestic.
No one cares about domestic anymore, they're looking to expand worldwide where there's an audience, ticket sales have never recovered since TV became a thing decades ago and it's only gotten worse, you can inflate numbers but current Hollywood needs worldwide profits. The Chinese will continue to influence movies for years to come since it's the main place where Hollywood can expand but they've also done plenty of legwork in other countries.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:28 AM   #89
Leo656
The Franchise

As I understand it, what the studios take home from overseas sales is a fraction of what they pull in from domestic, though. I mean it helps, sure, and it definitely helps them trumpet those numbers a little louder. "Our movie made $__ million!" sounds a lot better if you don't whisper, "Except 90% of the audience it was actually aimed at stayed home." But I don't think they LOVE it when most of their profits come from Somewhere Else. Somewhere Else isn't the target audience, they're just starved for blockbusters and show up in droves accordingly.

Regardless, they're apparently pushing ahead.
https://screenrant.com/bumblebee-reb...nfirms-hasbro/

Too bad that they couldn't have had a more seamless transition from the Bay stuff into this, which apparently is more like what people wanted from the beginning. But I'd be shocked if they had just shut down, box office be damned. It's a huge franchise, they were never going to shut it down. At worst they'd take 5 years off to regroup. But they were always gonna make more eventually.

At least now they've figured out how to please an audience, even if they now have the unenviable position of regaining their collective support and confidence and hoping that support translates into money.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:07 AM   #90
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
No one cares about domestic anymore
That's insane. No. The take-home value for studios at, say, 20 million domestically... you'd need to similarly see 60 million overseas, probably 90 to see the equivalent amount of studio net profit. To take those numbers at face value is to assume that every theater in the US is a not-for-profit organization, and that overseas, they import, localize, and redub/recut everything for their counties and give us all of the profits. They don't even give us most of the profits, not even half.

Again, theaters take their cut on a sliding scale, and let's not forget the marketing budget. Just like the Ghostbusters remake technically made 229 million worldwide on a 144 million dollar budget... yet everyone and their mom involved with the movie admits it lost a sh** ton of money.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:10 AM   #91
Leo656
The Franchise

I HATE "Movie Math"! Worse than goddamn calculus.

Thanks for confirming what I was pretty sure I'd heard, though, about dollar-for-dollar not being equal when it comes to foreign vs. domestic. I'm not half the expert you are on those things, but I was pretty sure that was something I'd absorbed at some point.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #92
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's insane. No.
emoney isn't
I chose my words poorly, the point is not that the majority of the US but Hollywood is following the trend of other industries to expand into other markets to survive in the future. Why do you think FAANG has expanded into many countries so much? It's not because they get barely any profits from their investment, same here in the movie industry, the only place for growth is outside the US so they want to appeal to them more and make the movies a bigger habit, look at all the money they're investing in other countries like Mexico in marketing. If you're just an armchair analyst then yeah you don't see that as a good market because you see raw numbers without context, it's the growth in profits in these markets and brand recognition, not short term profits. The US will continue to be a lesser player in the next decades and if multinationals don't have a long term strategy they'll lose their power they have now.
Old 10-17-2023, 01:59 AM   #93
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

I saw Bumblebee, and while it was a decent film, I thought the female protagonist was kinda annoying. And that scene where her stepdad tells her to smile more often, clearly third wave feminist messaging.

(Personally, I don’t see what’s wrong with telling a girl to smile. Guys have told me that before at work but I never got offended. After all, a smile is a woman’s best accessory. Plus, there are at least ten benefits of smiling: https://www.verywellmind.com/top-rea...ry-day-2223755.)

Also, why could’ve the movie have taken place in 1984, the year Transformers premiered in real life, instead of 1987? I guess so they could use the song “Don’t You Forget About Me” which wasn’t released until 1985.
Old 10-17-2023, 04:19 PM   #94
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
I saw Bumblebee, and while it was a decent film, I thought the female protagonist was kinda annoying. And that scene where her stepdad tells her to smile more often, clearly third wave feminist messaging.
Really? I thought she was great in it - played a likeably unlikeable person somewhat appropriate for that age. I didn't LOVE Bumblebee, but I'm entertained in general by the Transformers movie and I thought Bumblebee was one of the best ones.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 04:26 PM   #95
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
I thought the female protagonist was kinda annoying
I could kind of watch Hailee Steinfeld in anything.

Tags
youcantseebee