The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 07-12-2021, 07:36 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
There's a diff between you commenting on a movie that looks like **** to your wife and this though.

As Andrew so succinctly communicated it, it's not altogether dissimilar.

Whether you've seen one Chickbusters trailer OR even one snippet of Coates's writing, you've seen enough to have a fully-formed opinion without torturing yourself with the rest of it, is my/his point.

If Dean Cain saw even one panel of Coates's Captain America comic, he can make whatever judgement he sees fit, in my estimation. He's seen enough to have gotten the gist without reading the entire thing A-to-Z. Exactly the same way I knew what Chickbusters was based on one two-minute trailer.

Same sh*t, no different whatsoever.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:46 PM   #22
AquaParade
Banned

I actually do think it's pretty dumb to judge a comic on one panel, but at least we are on the same page when it comes to what we're talking about.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:59 PM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

Depends who the creator is, I think. You'd be right in some cases, but not all.

Anything by Rob Liefeld or Chuck Austen... you can judge it even without one single panel. The names "Rob Liefeld" and "Chuck Austen" tell you everything you'd ever need to know, mostly that it's trash. You don't need to "see" any of it, you already know what it's going to be.

Coates, I feel, is exactly the same but from a different direction.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:36 AM   #24
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Wrong. Yes, Coates may be racist. No, it doesn't allow you to form an opinion on the book he is writing without reading it.
Yes, it does. If people can form opinions on movies they haven't seen or video games they haven't played, then they can 100% form an opinion on a book they have no intention of reading.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #25
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Yes, it does. If people can form opinions on movies they haven't seen or video games they haven't played, then they can 100% form an opinion on a book they have no intention of reading.
Exactly. We are all saying the same thing, but I hammered the point home damn near airtight and prodded him a bit for being so daft in his earlier posts. That trapped Aqua, so I'll be the bad guy in the thread while he pretends he's suddenly on the same page with Andrew and Leo who are also saying exactly the same thing I was, and are completely on the same page (of the book you don't have to read to know it's true).

IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #26
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Exactly. We are all saying the same thing, but I hammered the point home damn near airtight and prodded him a bit for being so daft in his earlier posts. That trapped Aqua, so I'll be the bad guy in the thread while he pretends he's suddenly on the same page with Andrew and Leo who are also saying exactly the same thing I was, and are completely on the same page (of the book you don't have to read to know it's true).

Sorry you are taking this so defensively. This is clearly meant to be an antagonistic post. No hard feelings over here. I like discussing with you even if we disagree sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
I don't see how one makes the other better. But I'd say that commenting on movies to your partner is different than making a public statement that does some serious calling out of another person, to millions of followers. I think Dean has every right to speak out, but I do think he should do his homework. For the sake of people taking him seriously if nothing else. Why speak to so many people, when you know you are going to be written off as soon as you say "i didn't read the book I am criticizing."
You know that if you disagreed with someone on an issue and they let that line slip, you'd be like "oh, screw this." I think some people are giving him leeway here, because they agree with his sentiment.

Last edited by AquaParade; 07-13-2021 at 10:21 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote