The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 08-01-2021, 11:39 AM   #1
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

Laughing at inappropriate times/situations...Why does this happen? T_T

I went to mass for the first time since the pandemic hit, and I don't know why but all of a sudden I got the funniest thing in my head and I had to stifle the hilarity bubbling out of me and had the quelch that because church is quite as can be and it is supper noticeable if someone is trying to smother their laughter. And I don't know what it is about trying to not laugh that makes you crack up even more but that is what was happening to me. Body quaking, choking on air, conspicuous strangled noises getting out.

My Mom was the first to notice and kicked me, then gave me the death glare, which...made it worse. Some how the twisted up, pissed off face of disapproval always make it worse. (which is odd because my Mom is terrifying, even as a grown ass adult) I was finally able get it under control though. And you know what the the best part is? I don't even remember what funny ass thing got in my head to get me to that point to begin with. What is it about places where you have to be quite that spark a response like that? Church, funerals, someone saying grace at the dinner table, ordering something in the drive through window at McDonald...

WTF is it about these situations that causes hilarity? This doesn't happen often, I'm not a freak, but if I am going to get a case of the giggles it is usually in a situation like this.

Has this happened to any of you? What was the funniest instance of laughing when you couldn't help it? Were you able to subdue your laughter and save face or did you come unhinged?

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Might just be that those situations are really boring and the mind has a chance to wander and go "Hey, what about funny thing??" to entertain itself and relieve the dullness or stress of the situation? I dunno, just a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
Has this happened to any of you? What was the funniest instance of laughing when you couldn't help it? Were you able to subdue your laughter and save face or did you come unhinged?
Can't really say I've had it happen where a funny thought wasn't easy to stifle. At most, if it's a serious occasion I may just kind of hide my mouth and any grin or smirk I can't hold back.

Otherwise... there was just ONE time, from an external source, not a random thought, but it was a severe battle to keep it in.

We were at the funeral service for an elderly uncle that had passed. It was held at this tiny little church he attended. One of his friends, this really old guy, had wanted to sing some church song (solo) for him, which is really sweet that he wanted to do that for his friend.

But. THIS MAN SHOULD NOT SING. Period. And it's not even just that he wasn't good... but it was like an advanced stage of not good. I forget how I put it later, but it was in essence much like listening to a goose trying yodel.

When he started up, my parents and sister and I immediately shot each other a look like OH GOD NO. I mean, you don't want to be mean or laugh at this old guy, his gesture was very nice, but it was so hard to keep a straight face and keep it contained that I'm surprised I didn't give myself a hernia. He was right in front of us so the rest of the room was even looking in our direction.

And when his song was FINALLY over... he sang a second one.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 08-01-2021 at 12:34 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

I usually burst into laughter out of nowhere when I think about things from the past I found funny. Most of the time I walk around with a huge smile on my face without realizing it, until people ask me what I'm smiling about. I basically walk around looking like The Joker at times.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I usually burst into laughter out of nowhere when I think about things from the past I found funny. Most of the time I walk around with a huge smile on my face without realizing it, until people ask me what I'm smiling about. I basically walk around looking like The Joker at times.
You leave the house?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #5
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Once when I was a kid I was sitting in church with my mom and the collection plates were being passed around. For some crazy reason this joke from Jim Carrey's Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls popped into my head and I just started laughing my head off. My mom was beyond mortified. By the time church let out she was sobbing and whining about how immature I was and wished that I would act my age. Looking back I think deep down my mom resented my carefree childhood since her parents were so strict with her.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Once when I was a kid I was sitting in church with my mom and the collection plates were being passed around. For some crazy reason this joke from Jim Carrey's Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls popped into my head and I just started laughing my head off. My mom was beyond mortified. By the time church let out she was sobbing and whining about how immature I was and wished that I would act my age. Looking back I think deep down my mom resented my carefree childhood since her parents were so strict with her.
Your mother started crying because you laughed at church? Did she think you were possessed by the devil or something? Usually religious people assume their children's souls are taken over by evil demons, and that's why they drown their kids or lock them in the basement and beat them with sticks or whatnot.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:20 AM   #7
Jephael

Quote:
Your mother started crying because you laughed at church? Did she think you were possessed by the devil or something? Usually religious people assume their children's souls are taken over by evil demons, and that's why they drown their kids or lock them in the basement and beat them with sticks or whatnot.
No she was embarrassed because I was coming off immature. But yes she does take religion very serious, always insisting that we pray before every meal. She'll even pray by herself in silence when we go out to eat.

www.jephael.com
Old 08-06-2021, 06:27 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

God religious people are scary, they'd probably sacrifice their first born child if they thought that would allow them to step into heaven.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:05 PM   #9
Jephael

Quote:
God religious people are scary, they'd probably sacrifice their first born child if they thought that would allow them to step into heaven.
Ever see the movie Year One? It was like the last motion picture Harold Ramis directed before he passed away. It pokes a lot of fun at religion and whatnot.

www.jephael.com