The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-27-2021, 07:59 PM   #561
IMJ
Emperor

I think there are two psychological components at play when we see these hard nosed opinions.

01 - there's a significant comparison bias. News in America is more widespread globally as a "narrative" than much of what goes on in the rest of the world by comparison.

02 - America has always had the "big boy on the block target" on it. Years ago, the global story was that all Americans were cowboys. Then all Americans were fat. Now all Americans are racists.

Granted Marina has some experiential living here, but for God's sake she's a Hollywood liberal, clearly a drama queen - I mean she left the country saying it was full of racists, but then punctuated it with how work for middle aged women is easier to find in Britain. She's jaded. She's not pioneering.

There is also an internal bias whereby we cite racism as some purely "white phenomena", but I got news guys - in my experience there are a lot more POC's carrying on with racism and internal violence than there are white people. And I live here. In the Chicago area.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:54 PM   #562
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I was reading Jeffery Hunter's Wikipedia today (it was kinda a rabbit hole because of the Google Doodle of the day about Tamio "Tommy" Kono, who like another Trek actor George Takei was interned during WWII, so I was looking for movies that talked about that, and one stared both Hunter and Takei...BUT) and had to chuckle at one line in his personal life section:
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Hunter
He was a Republican.[28]

The 1st Captain of the freakin' Star Ship Enterprise...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #563
Vegita-San
Emperor

someone should tweet that to sirtis. if she really believes this stuff, it'll blow her mind .

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #564
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:19 AM   #565
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

^ If I had to choose, the left path would be the best way to go.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:40 AM   #566
newfan
Mad Scientist

I think DS9 was my least favourite of the shows (referring to all the older stuff) .... wait, was that the point? I dunno I got the impression other people like it.

Actually, on the Subject of Star Trek, well it's fans anyway, I've not seen Cylons on here for a while.

As for Picard's the next season, I hope they stop dragging out or tone down the 'shame' for his character.

Last edited by newfan; 07-02-2021 at 02:46 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:14 AM   #567
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Actually, on the Subject of Star Trek, well it's fans anyway, I've not seen Cylons on here for a while.
You probably won't. I still hear from him, but without speaking too much for him he's pretty much "retired" from the Drome.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:41 AM   #568
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
You probably won't. I still hear from him, but without speaking too much for him he's pretty much "retired" from the Drome.
Oh that's a shame, seemed a reasonable guy, but people move on. I wish him well.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #569
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
01 - there's a significant comparison bias. News in America is more widespread globally as a "narrative" than much of what goes on in the rest of the world by comparison.
This is true. It dawned on my in 2017 UK general election were we had a hung parliament and the Conservatives had to form a coalition with Northern Ireland's Democratic Unionist Party and the response from most Brits was "who?" News of American politics is so widespread in the UK in comparison to a part of our own country that is right door.

Quote:
02 - America has always had the "big boy on the block target" on it. Years ago, the global story was that all Americans were cowboys. Then all Americans were fat. Now all Americans are racists.
There's a difference between cultural stereotypes and pointing out an objective truth that the United States had a big problem with racism.

Quote:
There is also an internal bias whereby we cite racism as some purely "white phenomena", but I got news guys - in my experience there are a lot more POC's carrying on with racism and internal violence than there are white people. And I live here. In the Chicago area.
No one denies that non white people can be racist and that's bad but in the western world they are not in a position of power. Anti white racism isn't going to get me harassed or killed by police or make me less likely to get certain jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I was reading Jeffery Hunter's Wikipedia today (it was kinda a rabbit hole because of the Google Doodle of the day about Tamio "Tommy" Kono, who like another Trek actor George Takei was interned during WWII, so I was looking for movies that talked about that, and one stared both Hunter and Takei...BUT) and had to chuckle at one line in his personal life section:

The 1st Captain of the freakin' Star Ship Enterprise...
The first captain of the freakin' Star Ship Enterprise is Captain Archer.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #570
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
No one denies that non white people can be racist and that's bad but in the western world they are not in a position of power. Anti white racism isn't going to get me harassed or killed by police or make me less likely to get certain jobs.
Colin Powell, Condoleeza Rice and Barack Obama sort of stand as living proof that the whole "Blacks Have No Power/Can't Achieve Positions Of Power" narrative is 100% bullsh*t.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:53 PM   #571
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

The first captain of the freakin' Star Ship Enterprise is Captain Archer.
He wasn't the captain of the first "Federation starship Enterprise." That was Robert April. But he is only somewhat canon.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:11 PM   #572
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Anti white racism isn't going to get me harassed or killed by police or make me less likely to get certain jobs.
For now.

Giving the trajectory, it might take just a few years until activists and virtue signaling corporations will start discriminating White people from the jobs and the like.

Look into "Critical Race Theory" and all the madness it entails - right now its already at Nazi level of hatred towards Whites. What will happen few years later? Who knows, but usually nothing good comes out of this.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #573
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
There's a difference between cultural stereotypes and pointing out an objective truth that the United States had a big problem with racism.
Sure, absolutely, but your reply here still doesn't discriminate between the statement that the U.S. has a problem with racism and the statement that "the U.S. is filled with racists" or some other statement about the wider and general population.

That's typically my point, but here on these boards, Facebook or Twitter you get replies that never discriminate between the two. And so it becomes evidence that the people who make statements like that are actually a significant part of the problem.`

The country is not filled with racists. People who conduct themselves on the public forums with those thoughts are just saying words from their own, singular perspective and that right there should indicate the problem. The country is not filled with racists.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:55 AM   #574
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So I saw this the other day, how Robert Duncan McNeill (Paris from VOY, whose performances I always enjoyed) was almost on Picard season 1 and was asked to be on Picard season 2 and IS in Lower Decks season 2:

https://www.dailystartreknews.com/re...1-as-tom-paris

This got me to wonder, idly. Cool. But... why Paris (and a straight white male, no less -- not exactly fitting the mold of either STD or STP and hell, Picard himself wasn't even allowed to be human anymore on these things to get around it) and not, say, B'Elanna? Or Paris AND B'Elanna? I actually enjoyed B'Elanna and her arc more than Paris. Also, B'Elanna was conspicuously absent from the Star Trek Online Delta Quadrant campaign when Paris and practically everyone else apart from Mulgrew (who I suspect simply wasn't in their price range) was invited to that and was a part of it. Weird, right?

Then I figured it out. While Robert Duncan McNeill parrots the latest CNN/anti-Trump stuff on his Twitter (often tagging Alex Kurtzman in them), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna) is an unabashed republican. And that's a non-starter of course, for the same reason you'll never see Reginald Barclay ever appear in any Star Trek again (unless they bring him back with another actor to get killed off on screen like they did with Icheb, whose actor was another republican who said things TPTB don't like on Twitter).

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/co...urned_you_off/

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/07/...-and-adoption/

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-03-2021 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #575
Vegita-San
Emperor

Dawson just got even hotter than she already was. at least we know she's normal and not a SJW.

Pretty sad that they can openly discriminate against people. the folks who want everyone else to be open and accepting :/.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #576
Galactus
Foot Elite

I just looked at her twitter. I scrolled down a fair bit but couldn't see anything especially political. Correct me if I'm wrong but I imagine she's a fairly moderate conservative. I think if she'd said anything particularly extreme I would have heard about it.

There's a difference between disagreeing about how taxes should work and the role the state should play in various issues vs disagreeing about chem trails and school shootings being false flags etc.

No one has ever said that Dwight Schultz is not allowed on Star Trek but I wouldn't be surprised if his extremist views barred him but I doubt anyone would have an issue with Roxanne Dawson's political views. Jeri Ryan was also a Republican...heck she was married to Paul Ryan and she's welcome. I know she supported Hillary Clinton (and I assume Biden) but I get the impression from her social media that was because Trump was a step too far for her rather than being a genuine convert the mildly left wing American Democrat party.

Robert Duncan Mcneil is bigger deal as a director, still has a cult following and kept well in with the Star Trek people. I would assume that's why he's been approached and not Roxanne.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #577
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Dawson just got even hotter than she already was. at least we know she's normal and not a SJW.

Pretty sad that they can openly discriminate against people. the folks who want everyone else to be open and accepting :/.
Huge fan of Rosario Dawson... huge. She's a raging babe and appears to be a well balanced person in general. Raging babe.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:08 PM   #578
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Huge fan of Rosario Dawson... huge. She's a raging babe and appears to be a well balanced person in general. Raging babe.
Wrong Dawson although I love Rosario. Suprised you think she's a well balanced person. She was a huge Bernie supporter, attended some protests when he didn't get the nomination and even got herself arrested. Given her political views I would have thought you'd have her pegged as some far left radical.

I was perplexed by her relationship with Corey Booker since he was the exact kind of supposed 'moderate' that she felt was everything wrong with the Democrat party. Of course you'd have him as a far left radical too,
Old 08-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #579
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Of course you'd have him as a far left radical too,
I've heard him speak enough to definitely say that term would apply to him. Reparations, UBI, all that stuff.

Had no idea about Rosario and him. Surprising, but also not. Still love her.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-03-2021 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:13 PM   #580
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Wrong Dawson although I love Rosario. Suprised you think she's a well balanced person. She was a huge Bernie supporter, attended some protests when he didn't get the nomination and even got herself arrested. Given her political views I would have thought you'd have her pegged as some far left radical.

I was perplexed by her relationship with Corey Booker since he was the exact kind of supposed 'moderate' that she felt was everything wrong with the Democrat party. Of course you'd have him as a far left radical too,
I did think we were talking about Rosario, but here's the thing about her - regardless of her political leanings I haven't heard too much of her word vomit which means that she's balanced by and large against the people who talk loud nowadays.

I think this speaks to your assessment of me more than it speaks to my assessment of her... Don't try to guess the reality of where I fall on the spectrum of anything in life. You are a Technodrome poster who speaks in blanket statements and polarizing views on everything, as far as I'm concerned. Nothing more. You only think I do the same, but again that speaks to you, not to me.