Old 06-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well there WAS this Mirage 3-parter:

https://miragelicensing.com/comics/m...38/38cover.jpg

Yeah, we don't speak of these issues.
Still... you take any of Vol. 1, less than 10 issues any which way you go (forwards or backwards), you will throw a stone and you will hit at least one (maybe more) of the most iconic, most memorable, and even most imitated TMNT issues out there. I'm not sure you can say that of any TMNT series since.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #42
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

I completely recommend the IDW series. Personally, I don't have a problem with Sophie's arc so far. It's been a good world building and story building arc, especially after the absolute madness of issues 92-100 (which was incredible).

Yeah, I want to see more arcs like City Fall and City At War but considering issue 101 is essentially a soft reboot of the series, there needs to be an arc like Sophie's. There are definitely things I'd change about it but you can see how things are about to explode in the upcoming Armageddon Game arc.

Plus, last year's annual and from what I've read about this years annual, Waltz has set up a number of future arcs himself.

Honestly, read everything. 1 - 100, all the canon side series and books, and everything after issue 100. Cause its all good.

Draw your own conclusion and opinion. If you don't like it then fine, at least you tried it out.

Personally, I think its great and the series is still trending in the right direction.
bgb1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:21 PM   #43
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

Yes. IDW have been respectful while doing their own thing. Not an easy thing to do it would seem. Now, not every issue will appeal to everyone. That's ok. That's how it is.
The next arc may catch your eye.
I haven't lost faith in IDW. A few things I wish they'd have done differently, but over all, I'm still on board.
Let them tell their stories.
Mirage will most likely be my favorite for all time. IDW is giving it that ol' solid try.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:52 PM   #44
mrmaczaps
Banned

I tell people the last 20 issues on the ongoing makes for good tp if you have a shortage of tp...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:32 PM   #45
This_is_my_username
Random Punk

I've followed IDW on and off since the beginning. It's been a combo of great to lukewarm over the years, but a pretty solid read. I have been rereading from the beginning with my sons and it's holding my interest again. Not as great as I remember, but it's got heart, and some awesome moments.

Reading the last two years or so...it's read more and more like not great fanfiction. The art is good. The characters are just ... I don't know. It reads like Mutant High School Musical with a side dish of Naruto filler episode for flavour. It's a LOT of cutesy for a comic about an accidental, isolated mutant clan battling for their place and meaning in a brutal underworld of violence. Or whatever. I forget what's it's about in IDW at this point.

I'm unsure at what point I would stop recommending it, but the early years are still worth a go, and well, there's clearly a place for what it's become now.
This_is_my_username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #46
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by This_is_my_username View Post
(...) there's clearly a place for what it's become now.
A dumpster fire for a dumpster fire.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #47
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Hell no.
Or well... i guess i would but i'd tell them "read from issue 1 to 100, then drop it if you want to keep a nice memory".
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:58 PM   #48
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

I would tell people it's a great book up through #100, but we're currently in a filler arc and hopefully things will pick up again once the old writing team returns.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:27 PM   #49
Allio
Foot Elite

I feel by the time they get to 100 they’ll be able to make up their own mind about whether or not to continue.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:41 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

100 issues is a good stopping point though, if you include all the specials/mini's up to that point it's already close to 200 issues.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:23 AM   #51
CrazyFinnishGuy
New Recruit

Yes, I absolutely would. I agree that the quality of the series has gone down, but we are still talking about 100 issues of the main series and bunch of mini-series and one-shots of fairly consistently great comics. There are other comic series, not to mention tv-shows or the like, that dip in quality after a certain point, yet are still held up as overall good and shared by their fans. I would still recommend Robert Kirkman's original Walking Dead comic series, despite the last couple of arcs getting somewhat stale. I would still tell newbie Spider-Man fans to check out J. Michael Straczynski's run, despite Sins Past and One More Day. If you can stomach works by problematic creators (and it's OK, if you can't), I would happily tell you to give Buffy the Vampire Slayer a chance, despite the seventh season being mostly garbage.

And hey, who knows how things chance in a year or two. IMO the series is still far from unsalvageable and there are plenty of examples of franchises that stumbled along the way, only to find their footing again. Even if Sophie herself doesn't get the story back on track, the person after her (whenever that's Waltz or someone else) could. Nick Spencer was able to clean the mess Dan Slott left after years of writing some of the weakest Spider-Man stories. Maybe this will be just a small part on the series, where you can tell possible new fans "yeah, unless you just must read everything, you can skip that."
CrazyFinnishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:22 AM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

First half of Buffy season 7 is great. It stumbled in the middle but the last ep is good, lol
Old 08-19-2021, 11:10 AM   #53
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
First half of Buffy season 7 is great. It stumbled in the middle but the last ep is good, lol
I was gonna say this. The first ten episodes were nothing short of perfection with just the right mood in the writing and presentation, knowing it was the last season. That feeling of it being the end was overwhelming, almost suffocating in a good way... And then came the second half and squandered the potential (pun intended). The series finale would've been perfect too if only we'd got an actual explanation about why the Uber-Vamps were suddenly so weak.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

There were also some funny episode like the one Andrew was filming everyone like a YouTuber (oddly enough that ep aired in 2003 and pre-dates YouTube by two years), and the one Principal Robin locked up Spike to kill him to avenge his mother. Also once Faith shows up the season improves even if it’s only the last few eps, ignoring the ep where everyone throws Buffy out of her own house.