The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-21-2023, 09:24 PM   #21
Jephael
That whack job behind you

By season 5 it felt like they have bonded a lot more over time, but we don't see too much of it. In that last cross-over I would have liked to have seen a moment between 1987 Donatello and 2012 Donatello discussing the matter.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 06:53 AM   #22
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I always find it weird everyone immediately started thinking about sex, when it's a kid's cartoon and they weren't obviously gonna bang even if they got together. By that logic, we can say Raph was plowing Venus since those two were obviously hot for each other.
But that's just a logical consequence, doesn't matter whether it's shown or not: "Getting together" leads to "banging". And in the case of the Turtles with April, that's some pretty icky stuff.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 04:57 PM   #23
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I admit this relationship had it's problems.

On one-hand Donnie grew up in an all male society so the only place where he would have seen guy and girl interactions were on TV. Plus since he is the resident genius of the group, his brain is hardwired for complex forms of thinking to the point where simple answers do fly over his head until someone suggests them.

As such he would be prone to overthinking things when it comes to April and doesn't really take her side of things into account.

Then of course we have that infamous episode "A Foot too Big" where Donnie gets a treatment that isn't exact but isn't disimilar to what he is doing to April. So he realizes what he's doing to get her attention only pushes her away.

After that episode, there are still moments where Donnie does flirt with April but it isn't as blatent as before.

On the other hand, the whole triangle between Donnie/April/Casey was being set up to be similar to the relationship between Hamato Yoshi/Tang Shen/Oroku Saki. It would have been better to emphasize that concept rather then treating the whole Donnie like's April thing as a joke.

For example, in the episodes where Splinter explains how his wife and his "Child" supposedly died. He said that the Shredder hadn't liked the fact that Tang Shen had chosen Yoshi. The Shredder attacked them in a fit of anger and jealousy and that resulted in her death.

Where as when we see the actual story, it's implied that Shen and Saki did have a relationship before. But something happened that drove them apart because he says "Shen, take me back I'm not the man I was." even though Tang Shen was married and already had a child with Spinter at that point.

So if they had made that similarity more of a concept, then that could have made the whole triangle with April more plausable. After all, since Donnie is Hamato Yoshi's adopted son, you would think that is the role he was taking. But everytime we see him get angry at seeing Casey or anyone male flirting with or interacting with April kinda hinted he was dangerously leaning close to the Shredder's path.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:24 PM   #24
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
I admit this relationship had it's problems.

On one-hand Donnie grew up in an all male society so the only place where he would have seen guy and girl interactions were on TV. Plus since he is the resident genius of the group, his brain is hardwired for complex forms of thinking to the point where simple answers do fly over his head until someone suggests them.

As such he would be prone to overthinking things when it comes to April and doesn't really take her side of things into account.

Then of course we have that infamous episode "A Foot too Big" where Donnie gets a treatment that isn't exact but isn't disimilar to what he is doing to April. So he realizes what he's doing to get her attention only pushes her away.

After that episode, there are still moments where Donnie does flirt with April but it isn't as blatent as before.

On the other hand, the whole triangle between Donnie/April/Casey was being set up to be similar to the relationship between Hamato Yoshi/Tang Shen/Oroku Saki. It would have been better to emphasize that concept rather then treating the whole Donnie like's April thing as a joke.

For example, in the episodes where Splinter explains how his wife and his "Child" supposedly died. He said that the Shredder hadn't liked the fact that Tang Shen had chosen Yoshi. The Shredder attacked them in a fit of anger and jealousy and that resulted in her death.

Where as when we see the actual story, it's implied that Shen and Saki did have a relationship before. But something happened that drove them apart because he says "Shen, take me back I'm not the man I was." even though Tang Shen was married and already had a child with Spinter at that point.

So if they had made that similarity more of a concept, then that could have made the whole triangle with April more plausable. After all, since Donnie is Hamato Yoshi's adopted son, you would think that is the role he was taking. But everytime we see him get angry at seeing Casey or anyone male flirting with or interacting with April kinda hinted he was dangerously leaning close to the Shredder's path.
It woulda been cool if Donnie did see April and Casey on a date of sorts and was thinking of ways to sabotage it.... when he remembers Splinter telling him about Tang Shen and Saki. Then Donnie can see he's the 'Saki' and not the 'Yoshi' of the story and realize he can't force April to like him and she has to do things on her own and lets her go.

And then April realizes Casey is an annoying idiot, comes back to Donnie and they bust out a bunch of turtle/human hybrids for the next generation of Ninja Turtles.

...... what? Don't look at me that way. This is literally what everyone seems to have been expecting every time this crush is brought up.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 12-11-2023 at 07:34 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 09:36 PM   #25
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
It woulda been cool if Donnie did see April and Casey on a date of sorts and was thinking of ways to sabotage it.... when he remembers Splinter telling him about Tang Shen and Saki. Then Donnie can see he's the 'Saki' and not the 'Yoshi' of the story and realize he can't force April to like him and she has to do things on her own and lets her go.

And then April realizes Casey is an annoying idiot, comes back to Donnie and they bust out a bunch of turtle/human hybrids for the next generation of Ninja Turtles.

...... what? Don't look at me that way. This is literally what everyone seems to have been expecting every time this crush is brought up.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 11:18 PM   #26
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Or maybe April saying "You know, lets just be friends for now." With both of them. After all, April has expressed discomfort with both boys even after the the whole "Foot Too Big" episode. Such as when the whole Ho Chan episode where Donnie and Casey work together to free Leo, Mikey, and Raph from Ho Chan's mind control and rescued April and Irma as well. But then when asked who saved the day, Donnie and Casey give April all the credit before awkwardly "Peace Hugging" her. And then later during the space episodes, Donnie and Casey run up and hug her to which April says "Hey, what did I said about group hugs?" In a way that suggests its an irritation.

With the Ho Chan episode, Donnie and Casey could have looked at one another briefly and then said "The three of us". As a means of showing April, Donnie, and Casey could be an effective team if they put their petty squabbles over April aside.

Part of the space trip, could also have focused on April...not just that crystal. Donnie was shown to have some affinity with the Utrom because of his intelect. And Casey has been known to be useful with getting information or fixing things. So maybe the two of them could have had part of that journey with her, which is something Donnie could document since he was researching April's psychic power so she can control it. But maybe talking with Bishop and the Utrom about what happened to her mother and why she is a Human/Utrom hybrid or something. After all they pretty much dropped the April is a mutation after the second season. Yeah, we still have April is a psychic, but not so much April is a part utrom which is the whole point of her being a psychic.

Even if they could only afford the space plot I.E. have David Tennant as the Fugitoid for X-number of episodes. The whole mutant April could be something that is explored inbetween the episodes where April is going crazy because the Aion Crystal is becoming corrupt.

Also with the Aion Crystal, while April was the only one being affected by it, the artifact it was from did universily affect the world around it. After all the reason the Aions turned into monsters was because they were given a piece of technology they didn't understand and they became consumed with trying to understand it, and that in turn corrupted them. And the turtles were collectively affected by the negativity of the place.

After restoring the Aion's planet, April is given the crystal as a blessing. However, in the worlds that the Turtles and everyone were going to it was slowly corrupting Za-Noran. While Mikey and even Casey do touch the crystal once or twice. Mickey is the first person who senses something is off with it and points out it isn't something they could trust. But Donnie is the only one aside from April who is in close proximity with it on a regular basis. So that could have been a catalyst in the Donnie is becoming the Shredder thing since that could promote hostility towards Casey.

I know they were wanting to get that plot line done so Splinter can be murdered for good and all. Still the whole Dark April was rather rushed, particularly since they had the Super Shredder and Splinter's demise coming up. If it could have been stretched out, maybe have that episode before the whole April becoming fully possessed. After all the midseason episode where they thought they lost Splinter in the Under City, Donnie was heavily affected to the point where he has tears in his eyes when he and Mikey do find Splinter alive. So a precurser to April becoming corrupt could be Donnie obsessively working in his lab to prevent Splinter's death from occuring. The others tell him to chill out that the thing has already happened and Splinter was fine. But Donnie reminds them that they have had moments where they have lost Splinter before, the whole thing in space was a conveniant repreeve for them to go back and change events in time. Where as this most recent time, Splinter's survival was nothing short of a miracle. The next time may be the time they lose Splinter for good.

Last edited by victory_angel; 12-11-2023 at 11:59 PM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 07:33 AM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
Or maybe April saying "You know, lets just be friends for now." With both of them. After all, April has expressed discomfort with both boys even after the the whole "Foot Too Big" episode. Such as when the whole Ho Chan episode where Donnie and Casey work together to free Leo, Mikey, and Raph from Ho Chan's mind control and rescued April and Irma as well. But then when asked who saved the day, Donnie and Casey give April all the credit before awkwardly "Peace Hugging" her. And then later during the space episodes, Donnie and Casey run up and hug her to which April says "Hey, what did I said about group hugs?" In a way that suggests its an irritation.

With the Ho Chan episode, Donnie and Casey could have looked at one another briefly and then said "The three of us". As a means of showing April, Donnie, and Casey could be an effective team if they put their petty squabbles over April aside.

Part of the space trip, could also have focused on April...not just that crystal. Donnie was shown to have some affinity with the Utrom because of his intelect. And Casey has been known to be useful with getting information or fixing things. So maybe the two of them could have had part of that journey with her, which is something Donnie could document since he was researching April's psychic power so she can control it. But maybe talking with Bishop and the Utrom about what happened to her mother and why she is a Human/Utrom hybrid or something. After all they pretty much dropped the April is a mutation after the second season. Yeah, we still have April is a psychic, but not so much April is a part utrom which is the whole point of her being a psychic.

Even if they could only afford the space plot I.E. have David Tennant as the Fugitoid for X-number of episodes. The whole mutant April could be something that is explored inbetween the episodes where April is going crazy because the Aion Crystal is becoming corrupt.

Also with the Aion Crystal, while April was the only one being affected by it, the artifact it was from did universily affect the world around it. After all the reason the Aions turned into monsters was because they were given a piece of technology they didn't understand and they became consumed with trying to understand it, and that in turn corrupted them. And the turtles were collectively affected by the negativity of the place.

After restoring the Aion's planet, April is given the crystal as a blessing. However, in the worlds that the Turtles and everyone were going to it was slowly corrupting Za-Noran. While Mikey and even Casey do touch the crystal once or twice. Mickey is the first person who senses something is off with it and points out it isn't something they could trust. But Donnie is the only one aside from April who is in close proximity with it on a regular basis. So that could have been a catalyst in the Donnie is becoming the Shredder thing since that could promote hostility towards Casey.

I know they were wanting to get that plot line done so Splinter can be murdered for good and all. Still the whole Dark April was rather rushed, particularly since they had the Super Shredder and Splinter's demise coming up. If it could have been stretched out, maybe have that episode before the whole April becoming fully possessed. After all the midseason episode where they thought they lost Splinter in the Under City, Donnie was heavily affected to the point where he has tears in his eyes when he and Mikey do find Splinter alive. So a precurser to April becoming corrupt could be Donnie obsessively working in his lab to prevent Splinter's death from occuring. The others tell him to chill out that the thing has already happened and Splinter was fine. But Donnie reminds them that they have had moments where they have lost Splinter before, the whole thing in space was a conveniant repreeve for them to go back and change events in time. Where as this most recent time, Splinter's survival was nothing short of a miracle. The next time may be the time they lose Splinter for good.
The show had balls to show Shredder kill Splinter, have everyone think 'oh it's a cartoon and they'll just go back in time and save him' and then kill him again but permanently. And then have Leo behead Shredder and kill him for real without any 'picks up his head' nonsense.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 05:24 PM   #28
Prowler
Emperor

I only watched the first few episodes of the Nick toon, so I have no idea how the whole thing progressed over time and how it ended.

But I never liked the idea of one of the Turtles falling in love with April due to the fact... I think it's obvious.

Which also is another reason why I heavily disliked them making April a teenage girl of the same age as the Turtles.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 09:36 PM   #29
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I only watched the first few episodes of the Nick toon, so I have no idea how the whole thing progressed over time and how it ended.

But I never liked the idea of one of the Turtles falling in love with April due to the fact... I think it's obvious.

Which also is another reason why I heavily disliked them making April a teenage girl of the same age as the Turtles.
Its a rare gem seeing you post in the Nick section lol.

I do sometimes wonder what your thoughts on the series would be if you ever ended up watching the whole thing.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 05:05 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Its a rare gem seeing you post in the Nick section lol.

I do sometimes wonder what your thoughts on the series would be if you ever ended up watching the whole thing.
I don't feel compelled to do it, to be honest.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 06:47 AM   #31
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I would have liked to have seen a moment between 1987 Donatello and 2012 Donatello discussing the matter.
Why would 87 Donny have a say? A lot of episodes suggested he and Irma would have been an item
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 04:49 PM   #32
The Inventive Donatello
Banned

I disliked it - disrespects Donatello and turns him into a drooling clown. However, I can see why he would desperately feel that way - they have never seen a human girl before, and as animals they cannot be with a human female. However, it doesn't make sense that Donatello is the only one this affects hugely. Later in the series the other three guys get semi love interests of their own, but it never seems quite as obsessive as Donnie's.

Part of me feels that Donatello, of the four, should be the most sexless and above carnal desire, in a way. Throwing himself into his work and being cynical of humanity, as he is in 1987 and parts of 2003.

Overall, I feel it was handled poorly and definitely to appeal to the crowd on social media who (even in 2012) are into shipping. I really enjoy the show, but this is the one thing I didn't like.

Last edited by The Inventive Donatello; 01-05-2024 at 04:55 PM.
The Inventive Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote