The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-05-2016, 01:43 AM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Thoughts on Studio Ghibli films like Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away?

Any of you people a fan of Hayao Miyazakis films? If so, what are your favourite films made by him and how would you lay out your overall thoughts on his films, especially when compared to Western Animation?
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:02 AM   #2
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I dislike Spirited Away because it's just gross and boring.

Princess Mononoke is nice though. My gym teacher played it for us once during PE and I was hooked to Ghibli Studio.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:21 AM   #3
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

These movies are amazing. Pure art. I do find you need to be in the mood to watch them, otherwise I can't get in to them.

I have all of them all on Blu-ray, it's a great collection. Really love Hal's moving Castle

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I've seen My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howls Moving Castle quite a long time ago. I think they're all great films, with Mononoke being my favourite.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I love Studio Ghibli, Pom Poko is my favorite movie of theirs.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

I've seen Princess Mononoke, I really liked it a lot. What's awesome too is it's some of the inspiration for the new Zelda game coming up.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #7
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Spirited Away is the best one. I also really like Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, Castle Cagliostro, Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, and Kiki's Delivery Service. I like the Cat Returns but I don't remember if he directed that one.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:08 AM   #8
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Check out Only Yesterday, I really enjoyed it.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:22 AM   #9
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
Check out Only Yesterday, I really enjoyed it.
I'll make sure to see it
Old 08-14-2022, 09:10 PM   #10
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

I grew up watching “Princess Mononoke”. In fact, that was my very first DVD, as well as my first exposure to gore and body horror.

Recently I’ve learned something quite disturbing about the film that has forever changed my perspective of it, particularly Ashitaka. Remember at the beginning of the film when he fights the demon boar and is later exiled from his village? Well, as he’s leaving, a young girl who looks to be 13 or 14 runs to greet him at the entrance and gives him a crystal dagger. Her name is Kaya, and in the English dub she refers to herself as his little sister. When I first watched this movie as a kid, I thought, “Aw, that’s so sweet. She’s giving her big brother a good luck charm as a goodbye gift.”

Years later, I’m watching a YouTube video that explains the hidden meaning behind Kaya giving Ashitaka the dagger. As it turns out…

Spoiler:
Kaya is actually Ashitaka’s fiancée, and giving him the dagger was her way of telling him that she would always remain loyal to him and would never fall in love with another man. Then Ashitaka gives the dagger to San, which is why so many Japanese female fans despise him. The noble prince is actually a playa. Who da thunk? Oh, yeah, and Kaya and Ashitaka had secret sex before his exile.

Welp, my childhood is ruined.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:38 PM   #11
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I knew Kaya was meant to be Ashitaka's soon-to be wife in the Japanese version, but I didn't know there was backlash to that in Japan since the movie is based on a time-period where those sort of marriages were common.

I actually need to watch the Japanese version of the film, I've never made the effort. I'm so used to the dub, I actually think its really good with some pretty iconic choices (my personal favourite is Billy Bob Thornton).

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:57 AM   #12
newfan
Mad Scientist

I've watched a number of these a few times over with my children since we've had Netflix, we like them. The 3 of us all voted Howels Moving Castle as our favourite but its quite close with a couple of others.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:34 AM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

Love quite a bit of the Studio Ghibli stuff. Although at this phase of my life I can't see myself buying it or routinely watching it again.

I might if I ever came across a Ghibli HD boxed set or something. It'd be worth it, but the lost time watching that stuff again against other things - I couldn't rationalize it. And a lot of those productions deserve more than a "background noise" play.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:23 AM   #14
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

I love Studio Ghibli movies

I've seen Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, When the Wind Rises, Castle in the sky, Secret World of Arriety, Grave of the Fireflies and Howl's Moving Castle, all of which are great movies.

I enjoyed Spirited Away but it's not for everyone,
Kiki's Delivery Service is a good realistic tale about coming of age,
When the Wind Rises is a good historical tale,
Grave of the Fireflies is powerful,
Howls Moving Castle has amazing animation and characters,
Castle in the sky has neat lore
and Arriety is a bit too slow-paced for me but it's sweet.

I have a few other ghibli films on DVD like Princess Kaguya, only yesterday, when Marnie was there and Mononoke but I haven't watched them yet, other than a bit of Mononoke that I saw on I think cartoon network years ago?
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:42 PM   #15
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I seen Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Spirited Away more than once, and those movies are alright. In fact, I bought the soundtrack from the Princess Mononoke movie some years ago.

I currently own Howl's Moving Castle.

One movie that I wouldn't mind seeing again because I only saw it one time? The Cat Returns.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:16 PM   #16
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
One movie that I wouldn't mind seeing again because I only saw it one time? The Cat Returns.
It didn’t get great reviews but I like it… Kirsten Dunst, Cary Elwes again, and Tim Curry being Tim Curry…!