The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #121
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

ya I have to say Season 2 looks like its gonna be way better than the first season.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:07 AM   #122
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
ya I have to say Season 2 looks like its gonna be way better than the first season.
I remain skeptical. The Defenders trailers looked like the best thing ever.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:04 AM   #123
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm with Glen Weldon on this, that trailer hit bad superhero Bingo really early on. I prefer the first one.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #124
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

This comes out in early March? I'm excited. As long as they stay faaar away from The Hand, I think this will be a good season.

The other Marvel Netflix shows need to really think about what direction they want to go in
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #125
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I hope this season has some standalone episodes where she's working random, one-off cases. My problem with some of the Marvel Netflix shows is they stretch a 6 episode story over a 13 episode season that once you hit episode 5 it starts spinning it's wheels until the last episode or two.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #126
plastroncafe

Agreed!
Though I haven't really found that this is the case with the Punisher.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #127
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Agreed!
Though I haven't really found that this is the case with the Punisher.
It's almost the opposite problem. If anything, I would have loved to have seen more Punishers wedged within the first 10 minutes of the first episode.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #128
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's almost the opposite problem. If anything, I would have loved to have seen more Punishers wedged within the first 10 minutes of the first episode.
Yeah, the first ten minutes is just a montage of him murdering people on his list, right? I agree, then.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #129
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Same here.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #130
plastroncafe

Yeah, but I'm not watching The Punisher for bodies hitting the floor. I'm watching it for the nuanced portrayal of post-traumatic stress disorder.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #131
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

The Second Season isn't getting good reviews. Its being called slow and boring with bad pacing. Reddit has been tearing it apart saying its worse than Iron Fist.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #132
plastroncafe

Bad pacing could be an issue for me, but I'm pretty sure slow and boring won't be. I love me a good character study.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #133
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I hope that's not code for, "Sorry, folks... she still doesn't really use any of her powers."
Old 03-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #134
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Bad pacing could be an issue for me, but I'm pretty sure slow and boring won't be. I love me a good character study.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
The Second Season isn't getting good reviews. Its being called slow and boring with bad pacing. Reddit has been tearing it apart saying its worse than Iron Fist.
All those reviews are critiquing only the first five episodes. At least the ones I've seen.

I'm okay for a slow burn; I'm invested enough in Jessica, Malcolm, and Trish.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #135
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Only two episodes in but I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.

Speaking of enjoying what I'm seeing...

Sweet baby Jesus is Krysten Ritter ever a stunner. It's all actually a bit distracting from the story
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:44 PM   #136
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I just hate to keep hitting the same mark, but... if "Supergirl" on CW can have the titular character flying around smashing bad guys on a weekly basis, "Jessica Jones" can have Jessica Jones doing the same thing. Once in a while. I'm just saying, once in a while. There's really no excuse, certainly not of a budgetary nature. Jessica has the powers, and this isn't season 1. I get that the show is trying to keep her as a low key thing, but this why the payoff would be far greater when she actually does it.

Punisher and Daredevil and Luke Cage get to embrace their full powers and comic book potential... why doesn't Jessica Jones? What's the problem?
Old 03-09-2018, 04:27 AM   #137
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
I just hate to keep hitting the same mark, but... if "Supergirl" on CW can have the titular character flying around smashing bad guys on a weekly basis, "Jessica Jones" can have Jessica Jones doing the same thing. Once in a while. I'm just saying, once in a while. There's really no excuse, certainly not of a budgetary nature. Jessica has the powers, and this isn't season 1. I get that the show is trying to keep her as a low key thing, but this why the payoff would be far greater when she actually does it.

Punisher and Daredevil and Luke Cage get to embrace their full powers and comic book potential... why doesn't Jessica Jones? What's the problem?
Beats me. That being said, I don't ever find myself "missing" her powers or wishing she'd use them more frequently just for the sake of using them. The storytelling is more investigative mystery than vigilante justice ala Daredevil and Luke Cage.

I also think you're allowed to take certain liberties with lesser known characters like Jessica Jones. Like, I have no idea how similar the TV series is to the comics (I imagine not terribly close) but I love the broken, alcoholic Veronica Mars vibe I get from the show. If it were just another superpower showcase show like Flash, Black Lightning, Legends, Arrow, Supergirl, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Daredevil... it might lose alot of it's own identity. I think it was a good call throwing in something different to the glutton of superhero shows. All just my opinion of course.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #138
plastroncafe

How many times does Jessica have to tell people she's not a superhero for people to realize that she's not a superhero?

This isn't that kind of show.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #139
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
How many times does Jessica have to tell people she's not a superhero for people to realize that she's not a superhero?

This isn't that kind of show.
Of course she's not a superhero. She just really doesn't ever want to use her powers/TPTB don't want to show us her ever using her powers. Strangely.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:12 AM   #140
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Finished season 2.

Quick random spoilery thoughts...

Spoiler:
Overall, really dug it. I liked alot of the challenges and themes present in this season. I was worried after the dip in quality in Marvel's Netflix shows this would be another miss, but thankfully Jones lands another winning season.

I love Kristyn Ritter's take on Jessica Jones. I'm unfamiliar with the comics so I can only take it as what I see on the show, but her tortured soul/always running on survival mode/keeping everyone at a distance is a favorite archtype of mine. Seeing her confront her own demons and asking who she really wants to be was compelling and alot of nuances were given in the performance. Good stuff.

Malcom was awesome. It was great seeing him step up and really take control of his life. I felt a little cheated that Malcom taking a puff of the inhaler and running in fear lead to...absolute nothing but otherwise he was a huge consistant highlight throughout the thirteen episodes. Hope to see him grow as a professional advasary of Jones next season.

Hogart's storyline is great - it's always nice to see how someone high and mighty feels when faced with mortality. For characters as rigid and cold as Hogart is, there was a real nice sense of growth from her this season.

The villain of this season is no Kilgrave, and I think people expecting another clear-cut villain will leave a bit disappointed. Both Jessica and Alisa flip-flop on where they stand with each other which leads to a more internal struggle as opposed to chasing down the big bad. Alisa was a very intriguing villain that could have came off as pretty hammy but the writing and performances keep it grounded.

The main thing I had an issue with this season is without question Trish's storyline. From the get-go, everything seemed very contrived. There's a missing piece somewhere in her story. On paper, yes, I get that she was feeling weak growing up with a superpowered sister and a domineering mother. And I get that last season she was assaulted, learned how to fight - just to get her ass kicked again, so, I kind of understand her desire for superpowers. But her taking that first puff felt so unnecessary and out of nowhere, everything which follows feels kind of unearned.

After the mid-season reveal that the killer is Jessica's mother, the rest of the season felt pretty predictable. Did anyone honestly not see Hogart getting screwed over? Can anyone say they didn't see Trish's master plan was to get the doctor to perform on her?

That being said, I assumed the finale was going to inevitably pit Jessica in a situation where she had to choose between her mother and Trish, leading Jess to kill her mother. Thankfully, they went a more satisfying route which should have strong consequences going into season three.

Season 1 of Jessica Jones remains at the top of the list of Marvel's Netflix series to me, but Season 2 has alot going for it and delivers another satisfying entry. Looking forward to season 3.

Tags
cuckicca jones, sjw investigations