The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #21
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I'll give it a shot, along with a bunch of other shows starting this fall. It could be interesting, but it certainly doesn't look like any fun. It looks to real-world for Gotham's colorful characters. But we'll see.

It shouldn't be as bad as Smallville, in terms of outliving its premise, because they're starting with such a young Bruce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
I'll check it out, but I don't think it will be nearly as good as Agents of SHIELD.
I'm glad I'm not the only person here who like it. I think SHIELD is more interesting to watch than the superheroes...
Old 09-13-2014, 01:02 AM   #22
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only person here who like it. I think SHIELD is more interesting to watch than the superheroes...
I'm certain that anyone who doesn't like the show, hasn't watched all of the first season.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:33 AM   #23
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Quote:
I'm certain that anyone who doesn't like the show, hasn't watched all of the first season.
Yeah. They take their time to build the characters, like they would in a movie series. I think it really pays off, I love the way they weave in each of the movies once they get going. The show really needs to be viewed on time. But there is a group of people who will never be satisfied, because they want to see superhero battles every week, and they're asking where Iron Man is, and things like that.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #24
Slade
god status

Pretty good premiere episode I think.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #25
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

I thought it was rather interesting. Plenty of Easter Eggs as well. Im just not too sure about this interpretation of Montoya.

Spoiler:
Also, Barbara Kean lives in the clocktower!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #26
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Let's not make assumptions. I saw the whole season, right up to where Coulson is scribbling sh*t on the wall. I think it sucks enough for me to not watch the second season and not feel bad about it.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:02 AM   #27
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I was thoroughly impressed. They've really put together a consuming Gotham. There are plenty of pieces in play. I never felt like it was missing Batman. I'm not familiar with Fish Mooney, as a character, but I sure loved her in this.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:27 AM   #28
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

It was okay. The show has two issues, I think:

- There's no Batman. Yes, I know this is a ludicrous thing to say, but every time there was trouble I couldn't help but think, "Is this when Batman comes? Oh wait, he's just a kid." I just really doubt the idea of having a Batman show without Batman can survive more than a season unless something drastic happens to improve the premise of the show.

- They weren't subtle about their supervillains. I felt like they were playing all their cards at once. Riddler showed up and was of course using all his lines to say riddles. Penguin had his trademark umbrella, which could have been a sign of subtle foreshadowing, but then everyone called him "Penguin". I did like how Joker (was it him?) was introduced, though.

I'll continue to watch the show, but I can't say that I expect great things from it.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:35 AM   #29
Slade
god status

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
I was thoroughly impressed. They've really put together a consuming Gotham. There are plenty of pieces in play. I never felt like it was missing Batman. I'm not familiar with Fish Mooney, as a character, but I sure loved her in this.
Pretty sure she's an original character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
It was okay. The show has two issues, I think:

- There's no Batman. Yes, I know this is a ludicrous thing to say, but every time there was trouble I couldn't help but think, "Is this when Batman comes? Oh wait, he's just a kid." I just really doubt the idea of having a Batman show without Batman can survive more than a season unless something drastic happens to improve the premise of the show.

- They weren't subtle about their supervillains. I felt like they were playing all their cards at once. Riddler showed up and was of course using all his lines to say riddles. Penguin had his trademark umbrella, which could have been a sign of subtle foreshadowing, but then everyone called him "Penguin". I did like how Joker (was it him?) was introduced, though.

I'll continue to watch the show, but I can't say that I expect great things from it.
I read the show will do a nod to Joker every week with a different person.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #30
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Saw the premiere and really enjoyed it. I love the characters and how they show some of their origins. Loved seeing Catwoman on the roof, and I also liked seeing a young Poison Ivy. Can't believe what happened to her dad though. All in all, a pretty satisfying premiere, and I'm definitely going to watch more of it.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #31
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

Spoiler:
-Well Penguin's already gone off the deep end quicker than I thought he'd be. No doubt he's going back to Gotham against Gordon's advice to get revenge on Fish and possibly him.

-I did like that Selena was there at the funeral. That glance she made seemed to be a non-verbal way of empathizing with Bruce in having to grow up without both your parents.

-I guess growing up in an abusive household would make Ivy more inclined to prefer plants over people.

-The comedian entertaining Fish made me think, "Oh wait....could that be a Killing Joke reference since that's the most possible origin for Joker was that he was a comedian (or at least a failed one)?

-So Gordon's girlfriend is named 'Barbra?' Wonder if that'll be important later when/if he has a daughter. Or it might be an Easter Egg.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #32
arkangel
Hench Mutant

Overall, I thought they did a great job for the premiere episode. The good cop, bad cop was well acted and you gained empathy for Harvey throughout the course of the episode as a grizzled veteran whose become more than a bit jaded over the course of his career. It also managed to introduce most of the main players, some subtley (great forshadowing with catwoman, poison ivy, and riddler) and others a little ham-fisted (penguin). It would have had more impact if they never used the word penguin for at least a few episodes.
Gotham is nice and gritty without being overly gothic looking. Probably not the best way to descibe it, but with most Batman movies and even the Birds of Prey, it's a bit hard to suspend belief as you don't "completely" buy into Gotham being a "real" city (eg: the Shumacher Batflicks especially). This Gotham feels fresh, modern, and easily identified as a real setting.
Despite the show's premise as a prequel, I think the easter eggs that forshadow things to come will be more than enought to hold the interest of any Batman fan and I hope they take their time in introducing elements that shape Bruce Wayne's evolution into the Dark Knight. It definitely has a different feel than superhero shows, as it should, and I think it will do well if they continue to handle the material with respect to the established mythos.
I must have been tired, as I missed the Joker reference...
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #33
Slade
god status

I have to admit, I didn't like Alfred in this.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #34
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

He did seem fairly overprotective of Bruce. But TBF, I can't blame him for that after what has happened. Though it's quite clear he's going to take issue with Gordon for encouraging him in some way next episode.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #35
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

Yep. It sucked!

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #36
SquareShield
Mouser

I am not sure about it; the city looked cool but I am not sure when this series is taken place. They have cell phones yet drive very old vehicles. Like the old police car driven by Gordon and Bullock.
SquareShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #37
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of this at all.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #38
Slade
god status

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
He did seem fairly overprotective of Bruce. But TBF, I can't blame him for that after what has happened. Though it's quite clear he's going to take issue with Gordon for encouraging him in some way next episode.
I didn't even read it as overprotective. I tried to, but to me he just had this dickhead attitude about him.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #39
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareShield View Post
I am not sure about it; the city looked cool but I am not sure when this series is taken place. They have cell phones yet drive very old vehicles. Like the old police car driven by Gordon and Bullock.
It sounds like they're going for a B:tas kinda look with this.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #40
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I really felt like the show put Gordon in an interesting position. And between him, the gangs, and the police department, they'll have a compelling show. I really don't need a check-in with Bruce every episode. And even though they introduced a lot of future villains, I'd like to think they will develop most of them slowly. This show actually got me to not think about Batman, and that's probably the highest praise I can give it. I was skeptical, but I'll be watching next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareShield View Post
My guess is that they want to be ambiguous about it. I don't recall the lines, but there was some pretty modern slang used in the diner. I think it's present day, but they don't wanna be in your face about it. And I think old-timey cars has just become part of Gotham's identity.

Tags
cuckfall, cuckham, cuckmissioner gordon, god i love being a sjw, got ham